PDA

View Full Version : Does this school sound any good?

Fu-Pow
03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey guys I need your advice.

I have a friend who I chat with on-line who lives near Preston, Idaho and he's been looking to get into martial arts. Not really kung fu but something more like MMA. He saw an ad on local TV for a guy that looked pretty solid so he went to check out the school. Apparently, this guy fought for a couple of years in "the Octagon."( I'm not sure what that is? ) Anyways, they offered a free class and my friend and his younger brother went to go check it out. According to my friend the instructor had him throw a couple kicks at him and had him try for a grab. The instructor blocked all his incoming attacks like nothing.....3x in a row. My friends not a big guy but according to him he's been training to be a cage fighter for a while so I believe what he says. Anyways, my friend said the guy was kind of a pri!ck (called my friends brother Peter Pan!) and dressed all "Red, White and Blue" ......but overall he was pretty impressed. It costs about $300 bucks for the intro course, which seems pricey but it might be worth it? Have any of you guys heard of this guy? I think his first name was Ray or Rob or something that starts with an R. Lives in Idaho..... fought in the Octagon? Does it ring a bell?

If you guys do know him or have heard of him maybe you could PM me and keep your replies off the main forum. We certainly don't want anybody to get their feathers ruffled. ;)

Thanks in advance.

MasterKiller
03-17-2005, 01:31 PM
GAWD! I was going to post in this thread, but there's not enough room for my nunchucks.

BTW, Fu-Pow. You gonna eat those tots?

red5angel
03-17-2005, 01:33 PM
GAWD! I was going to post in this thread, but there's not enough room for my nunchucks.

gawd******!!!1 I spit soda all over my laptopt!

Jhapa
03-17-2005, 01:39 PM
may be name of the school might help. also, he sounds like a pr1ck, calling potential students a peter pan. may be he forgot that he was a pansy himself when he first started off. sounds like he doesn't really cater to beginners and probably turns lot of potential students away. i know i won't train under him, he is suppose to be an inspriation and someone to look up to, and all he did was degrade a possible student. might be a good fighter, but sounds like a lousy teacher.

PangQuan
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Ill agree with jhapa.

There are lots of good fighters out there, but unfortunately alot of good fighters are not worth giving money to for lessons. Just cause someone can fight does not mean they would be the best teacher. But if your friend has an extra 300 bucks and a strong will he should give it a shot. Dont wanna count your eggs before they are hatched. But really he should explore all of his options, if this is the only school around, chances are good that he is a joke.

tug
03-17-2005, 02:15 PM
The only "Octagon" I know is of the really bad Chuck Norris movie persuasion.

MasterKiller
03-17-2005, 02:19 PM
The UFC ring is an octagon, you dunder heads.

David Jamieson
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Did the chickens have very large talons?

red5angel
03-17-2005, 04:28 PM
WTF?! why did this get moved to media and martial culture?!

David Jamieson
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
because there is no rhyme or reason to the madness that is kfm?

tug
03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
The UFC ring is an octagon, you dunder heads.

Yes, I know, but I don't believe they actually call it "The Octagon".

norther practitioner
03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Does he teach Liger style?

Fu-Pow
03-17-2005, 06:24 PM
The Mod Nazis strike again :rolleyes:

Vash
03-17-2005, 09:01 PM
NP = Movie = Funny Thread Related to movie = this section.

red5angel
03-18-2005, 10:31 AM
NP = Movie = Funny Thread Related to movie = this section.

:confused:

@PLUGO
03-18-2005, 01:19 PM
If you haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite then it might be a spoiler:

The whole scenerio, that started this thred, is a direct lift from a scene in the film

norther practitioner
03-19-2005, 12:15 PM
If you haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite then it might be a spoiler:

The whole scenerio, that started this thred, is a direct lift from a scene in the film

Thats not a spoiler.......

Geeeeze..

REX KWAN DO.........

OH Yeah

Losttrak
04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
www.losttrak.com/liger.jpg

http://genesispanthesis.tripod.com/biology/liger.JPG

If second link redirects, just paste addy in browser window.

spiraler
04-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Whoa! No Way..... A Tiglon!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?! ?!?!?!?!??!?!!