PDA

View Full Version : Technique in Hok Ying Kuen?

Fu-Pow
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
For people that know the Lee Koon Hung version of Hok Ying Kuen. What is the purpose/name of the technique that comes right before Hok Jeui (Crane's Beak Strike.)? Hint: Its not really a separate technique its the off hand that is not doing the strike.

It looks like it could be a grab or a block. Any ideas? Are you making contact with your opponent with the flat of the palm or with the side of the hand/forearm?

CLFNole you might be able to help me out here.

Also, do you think you would actually be able to pull off Hok Jeui in a fight? I know Hok Ding (Crane's Head) I could probably pull off but probably not Hok Jeui.

CLFNole
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
I think of it more or less like a pulling block similar to the shueng pak in 5 Animal. I practice this technique on the dummy often and I believe you could easily pull it off in real life; however the technique needs to be shortened and not nearly as long as the form.

This happens to be one of my favorite sets and fits my body type well. I think the diagonal pak sow's can be more effective but the one you are referring to can be used as well.

The elements of this form need to be broken down a bit for effective use. Some sections are a bit long for real application but if your smart like all forms can be adapted easily.

Peace.

David Jamieson
03-18-2005, 04:18 PM
sounds like you guys are talking about a larp sao.

but i don't know, I don't know the form and I haven't seen the move itself.

Fu-Pow
03-19-2005, 12:57 PM
sounds like you guys are talking about a larp sao.

but i don't know, I don't know the form and I haven't seen the move itself.

What does Larp translate to?

CLFNole
03-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I think it translates to grab. You could probably use that name for the technique but I have always used pak.

Whatever, so many people use different terminology for the same techniques.

Peace.

cerebus
03-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Hok Ying Kuen? Is that Crane & Eagle Fist? or is the "Ying" something else?

CLFNole
03-19-2005, 07:53 PM
It is not ying as in ying jow or eagle claw. Ying in this way refers to shape and is often used in conjunction with the animal name ie. fu ying kuen (tiger form) or hok ying kuen (crane form). The literal translation might be crane shape fist or tiger shape fist.

Peace.

cerebus
03-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Aaah, THAT ying. Thanks!

David Jamieson
03-20-2005, 09:06 AM
a pak is a short percussive deflection.

a larp is a connect/grab/deflect/or trap

a bong is a wing deflection/destruction

a tan is a disolver

a cheung is a scraping block

and so on. these are southern kungfu terms. used a lot in wc, hung kuen...

I gotta check out more clf I guess, apparently our paos are different as well. :p