PDA

View Full Version : LF Kung-Fu training in Phoenix AZ area

Theoderic
03-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I recently relocated to Scottsdale AZ and I am looking for a decent school to train in. I am interested in finding quality instruction opposed to a specific art. The only place I have seen so far is www.masterli.com.

best regards

BenjaminAZ
03-18-2005, 06:42 PM
What styles are you interested in? I've been in the Phoenix area for about 6 years now, and I've had some interaction with several different schools in the area. I'm in Chandler, so most of my experience is in the east valley, but there are a few places I can definately recommend (either checking out OR avoiding...) if you give me a little more info as for what kind of training you are looking for.

What's your background? I know you are interested more in quality instruction than style particulars, but I guess what I am asking is... What's your goal? Fighting? Forms? Health?

GLW
03-18-2005, 10:44 PM
the instructor for Masterli.com is Li Jinheng. He was a member of the Beijing Wushu Team back in its heyday. He was on the team at the same time that Li Lianjie (Jet Li) was.

He is a nice guy...approachable and speaks good english. He trains well but may not too oriented toward the applications aspect.

Depending on what you are interested in, he is arguably one of if not the most qualified instructors in the area. However, if you are looking for applications from the start, it may not be a good fit.

Roll Back
03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Hello, I know Jinheng personelly. He is actually Jet Li's older kungfu brother and his speicialty was rope dart. He is very pleasent and easy to learn from. If you want wushu go see him. If you want a little more traditional with applications check these guy's out. http://www.unitedmartialarts.com/uma_website001.htm They are all good and train with each other.

Theoderic
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
To be specific I am looking for instruction in Kwan-Do, spear, and staff.

Master Li's school isnt in the best of areas. It seems that there are not many places in AZ for Kung-Fu weapons training.

GLW
03-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Li Jinheng knows spear, staff, and I have seen him do a nice two person set with Yu Shaowen where he was using the Pu Dao. the Pu Dao techniques are about 70% the same as Kwan Dao...so I would imagine he also knows that as well.

In his day on the Beijing Team, you learned a bit of everything and then had your specialties too. They were all quite accomplished.

Theoderic
03-25-2005, 08:29 AM
HUH?

LF stands for Looking For.

I am new to Phoenix and I am hoping to find quality instruction. I have trained in the Martial Arts for several years and I also fight western armored weapon combat as well. My experience is for every 10 martial art schools 1 will be worth while.

I am from Detroit and I have had plenty of real life applications of martial arts in self defense/survival situations. Now I am hoping to find a school that teaches quality traditional chinese weapons forms so that I can pursue better health and the dicipline and art of the style.

MasterKiller
03-25-2005, 08:31 AM
I thought you were talking about Long Fist (Chang Chuan) as well. ;)

Theoderic
03-25-2005, 08:37 AM
I am sorry for that. :o

Shaolinlueb
03-25-2005, 09:16 AM
go to master li ;) :D

oasis
03-25-2005, 10:40 AM
if it's feasible, give master li a try. i talked to him a week ago at the new orleans tournament. he's very humble. he sells instructional videos on the wushu material he teaches, and he takes a very thorough approach. also, as you can see on his website, he now has a traditional shaolin instructional at the school to cater to those student needs.