PDA

View Full Version : Calculate the hits

Erny
03-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I am practising MA for about 3-4 Years.I would like to know if there is a way to calculate the force of my hits.(in Kg)I show once on discavery chanel a device but it looked rather expensive.I know it will not help me in my training but i am very curious.

This is my first thread.

Erny.Greece

norther practitioner
03-19-2005, 11:51 AM
;) Welcome to the forums....

The only way I know is those machines.....

Load cells aren't cheap. Neither is the computer that reads the data. The less scientific way is to have someone hold focus mits for you.... and hit them until they go ouch... then you know you are hitting hard enough.. ;) :D

red5angel
03-19-2005, 12:38 PM
here's what you do.

Tape a regular old bathroom scale to your heavy bag. Make sure it's on there good an tight. Then get a freind to hold the bag while you punch the sheeeit out of that scale!

Also, when you do this make sure you get lot's of pictures and post them on this forum :D :p

gwa sow
03-19-2005, 01:42 PM
well,.... all i have is one of those doctor scales that has the slidey weights on it. looks like i'll need someone else to move the little slidey weights on the scale for me. :D

IronFist
03-19-2005, 03:59 PM
On a serious note, if you punch a bathroom scale, you're not in contact with it long enough for it to give a good reading.

Just ask a friend to hold focus mits, or see if you can break a thicker board or something.

That's a good question, tho. After a while it's probably hard to see if you're able to hit harder or not.

Samurai Jack
03-19-2005, 05:32 PM
I disagree that it wouldn't be useful. If there was a practical way to gauge the force of your strikes accurately, then you could estimate the effectiveness of certain training programs and accelerate your power development. Currently power development is a hit-and-miss affair for most people. Sure you can tell if you're progressing with boards, but you can't tell if you're making progress in incriments smaller than what's required to break one. It's those smaller increments that would let you know if you were training correctly or not since as a form of strength training you should be steadly progressing in progressivly smaller increments as time goes on.

mickey
03-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi Erny,

There used to be a type of cylindrical makiwara that measured the power of your punch through compression but that was many yeards ago.

A less scientific but low budget version would involve the use of a very dense and heavy bag with bells of varying sizes and densities on it, from those little ball bells that you would place on the collar of a kitten to cow bells. The more bells you ring from your strike, the more power you have.

Just an idea.

mickey