PDA

View Full Version : How much do you train?

Disciple
03-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I train 45 min. 3x a week but I can also stay afterwards for 30 min. Since I'm stuck in youth training, the hours aren't too good. :(

Vash
03-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Weights 2xweek, 80mins each.

karate = classes randomly dispersed amongst school and work. Still train 4 times a week, not counting classes, for about 1.5-2.0 hours a time.

norther practitioner
03-19-2005, 09:11 PM
total time, maybe 6 hours a week right now, not counting breaks.

SPJ
03-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Due to work, family matters and other stuff;

Only on the weekend, there are big blocks of time of several hours for me.

Most of the time is drilling the basic skills over and over.

Every day, maybe at least 25 min Qi Gong or breathing exercise and meditation. 45 min basic skill practice.

Make the best of the time as the best I can.

:(

g0pher
03-20-2005, 01:46 PM
At school for about 7 hours a day, then it's off to Kung Fu for about 2 hours from 6pm to 8pm. Then the 1 hour and 30 minute (sometimes 45) commute home by taking 2 subways and a bus. Arrive home at about 9:30-9:45pm, and subsequent weight lifting, ab-crunching, and push-ups for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Now it's about 11-11:15pm and I take my 15 minute break in the day. And finally around 11:30pm I start to go over forms from class and/or anything new I learned for the next 2 hours. At about 1:30-2am I hit the bed and get my rest. And at 8:30am it's time to go to school again.

I do this 5 days a week. My MA school is open 6 days a week but by the 6th day my muscles are usually completely broken down.

This schedule leaves time for no extra cirricular stuff school stuff, friends or relationships, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

ricksitterly
03-20-2005, 05:24 PM
on a normal schedule i train 3 or 4 times a week for about an hour.

when a tournament or some MA event is coming up i tend to train every day for a couple hours. right now i'm training that way for a tournament in May.... i just have trouble keeping up that intensity for very long without feeling "burnt out"

joedoe
03-20-2005, 05:27 PM
2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours I attend classes. I train at home when I get the chance.

Judge Pen
03-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Not enough!

Class time of 4 hours a week. I get another 4 hours on my own right now. I've put on some weight after my knee surgery that I need to drop and get my wind back, but I haven't found more time to train with my work schedule right now. I'm getting there. . . .

Ming Yue
03-20-2005, 06:56 PM
class time 3 hours 2-3 times a week. Another 2-3 hours a week training on my own. I make sure to do some kung fu every day.

SanSoo Student
03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
1 hour when I wake up, and saturdays for 6 hours. 3 of it is class time, the other is sparring.

Working too much now...I hate getting downsized.

yenhoi
03-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I train more than Vash and SevenStar combined.

:eek:

SanSoo Student
03-20-2005, 08:53 PM
**** I hope you still have time to do cardio.

Vash
03-20-2005, 09:29 PM

Posting in the JKD (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10) forum doesn't count as training time.

:eek: :D

rogue
03-20-2005, 09:57 PM
On a good week 8 hours dojo, 3 hours gym. On a bad week 0 and 0.

David Jamieson
03-20-2005, 10:04 PM
heavy week - up to 15 hours on everything from forms to mma, to bagwork, hard conditioning, sparring et al.

medium week - 6-8 hours of same

light week - 4 hours

At the very least, so long as you're getting in a couple of hours a week without breaks longer than 48 hours in between you will progress.

FatherDog
03-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Monday - 1 hour weights on my lunch hour.

Tuesday - half hour cardio on my lunch hour, 2 hours wrestling class

Wednesday - hour and a half muay thai, hour and a half conditioning/mma class.

Thursday - 1 hour weights on my lunch hour

Friday - half hour cardio on my lunch hour

Saturday - hour and a half mma class, hour and a half grappling class, hour openmat.

Sunday - hour and a half mma class, hour and a half grappling class, hour openmat.

Fu-Pow
03-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Monday
15 min Zhan Zhang
1 1/2 hrs teach kung fu

Tuesday
15 min Zhan Zhang
1/2 hrs interval training on treadmill

Wednesday
15min Zhan Zhang
(rest day)

Thursday
15min Zhan Zhang
1/2 hr weights/circuit training

Friday
15 min Zhan Zhang
1 1/2 hr Kung Fu form Practice
1/2 hrs Sparring

Saturday
1hr Taiji Form Practice
1hr Taiji Push Hands Practice

Sunday
Rest Day

Besides that I'm always running through my Choy Lay Fut and Taiji Forms.

Kristoffer
03-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Monday
2 and 1/2 h CMA

Tuesday
1 h gym

Wednesday
teach 1 and 1/2 h train 2-3 h Shuai Chiao

Thursday
1 h gym
1-3 h CMA

Friday
1-2 h sparring

Saturday
1 h gym
1 h forms/weapons

Sunday
somethimes 1 h gym
usually 1 h form/weapons

+ about 20 min a day conditioning on bricks/wood, unless injured

All in all I think I'm training pretty good now, enough to keep advancing but not too much so I'll burn out. I need to work on my stretching, and I'm considering switching out some gym time to maybe go swim or something.
Hey this thread should be in the training forum..

Kaitain(UK)
03-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Every day:
15 minutes Standing Post, 30 minutes other Nei Gong
10 minutes of hindu push-ups, crunches, leg raises
45 minutes on the form

Three times a week:
teach 2 hour private lesson, probs 30 minutes form work, 30 minutes pushing, 30 minutes strike drills, 30 minutes sparring
1 hour in the gym on cardio equipment

Once a week:
2 hour BJJ class
2 hour tai chi class that I teach, 1 hour standing and form work, 1 hour striking, throwing and sparring

So I reckon about 15-20 hours a week

SevenStar
03-21-2005, 11:24 AM

he means waking hours bud... your dreams don't count. ;)

Vash
03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
he means waking hours bud... your dreams don't count. ;)

Sevenstar is one step closer to street cred.

SevenStar
03-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm in the gym 6 days a week, lifting and doing cardio. My sessions are typically about 45 mins.

I'm in MA classes pretty much every day except fri and sat. here's what I'm doing now:

mon/wed
muay thai 1.5 hours
bjj - 1 - 2.5 hours, depending on how much time I have available.

tues/thurs
mma training 1.5 hours
bjj 1 - 2.5 hours, depending on time.

fri
thai boxing (solo)
1.5 hours

sun
mma training - 2.5 hours

My wife doesn't get off until later in the day now, so I take the kid to class with me, which interferes with bjj, as I have to have him home so he can do homework and get in the bed. Typically, the MMA days are judo days, but I was training for a fight, which was the reason for the substitution. Also, I've started training my six year old, so I try to give him at least an hour three days per week. I do all of the exercises with him, so I guess that could count as training time as well.

SevenStar
03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Sevenstar is one step closer to street cred.

bout time. gimme my props, beyotches.

PangQuan
03-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Not enough...never enough.

Merryprankster
03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Standard rule of thumb:

However much anybody says, cut it in half :D

Ray Pina
03-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I train with my master for about 6 or 7 hours during two sessions a week (Tues and Fri. nights).

I also train on my own (sometimes friends join me) at my place on Mon. and Wed. nights as well as Sat. morning. So, overall I'd say 13 to 15 hours a week not including random sessions on the mid-weight, speed and sand bag .... hell, I can't go from my bedroom to the bathroom or kitchen without passing them, so might as well.

Judge Pen
03-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I have a stretching routine I do 4 or 5 times a week that takes about 1 hour. I don't really count that as training, though.

Yeah, I'm making a strong effort to improve my hip flexibility. 3 or 4 times a week I'm laying with a V-leg stretch up against the wall with ankle weights on letting gravity take its course. I'm going from 15 to 30 minutes at a time. Only been doing it for two weeks and can't tell a difference, but my hips ache so it must be working.

Reggie1
03-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Every day--at least 15 min. forms work followed by 15 min stretching.

Other than that, I do something 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours. Depends on the day, but it's either my KF class, weights/bodyweight exercises, or bag work.

To be really honest w/ myself I'd say on a bad week I get in about 6 hours of training. An average week I get in about 10 hours. And a good week I get in about 15 hours.

Wish I could get more. I really need to retire and let my wife pay the bills so I can have more time to train. :D

I'll run that by her tonight and see what she says.

Judge Pen
03-21-2005, 02:19 PM

I hope you have a real comfortable couch.

Ming Yue
03-21-2005, 02:32 PM

lol @ JP....

Reggie, my guess is you'll feel what she says. :)

Reggie1
03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
I hope you have a real comfortable couch.

:D :D

Lucky for me we have an entire upstairs w/ two guest rooms for whenever I get in trouble. And it just so happens the PS2 is upstairs as well.

On a totally unrelated note, MK's thread about working out w/ the MMA guys has me stepping up my training to a whole 'nother level. I've tried twice now to make myself puke during my bag work sessions. I did:

15 min. forms to warm up
3 min speed bag
(30 sec. break)
3 min. jump rope
(45 sec. break.)
3 min. heavy bag--punches only, had to work combos, and I gave myself one 10 sec. clinch.
(1 min. break)
3 min. jump rope
(1 min. break)
3 min. heavy bag, punches, kicks, knees, elbows, and gave myself two 10 sec. clinch but had to throw knees in the clinch.
(1 min. break)
3 min. jump rope
(1 min. break)
3 min. heavy bag--same as above
(1 min. break)
3 min. heavy bag--same as above

I still haven't made myself puke yet, but I also wuss out by about 3/4 of the way through and start jumping rope SLOW and throwing 1/2 power blows. It definitely kicks my ass, though, right now.

Reggie1
03-21-2005, 02:48 PM
lol @ JP....

Reggie, my guess is you'll feel what she says. :)

I don't doubt that! Somehow she thinks with my MA training it's OK to slug away at my arms all the time.

joedoe
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Standard rule of thumb:

However much anybody says, cut it in half :D

Does that go for you too? :D

Merryprankster
03-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Does that go for you too?

Some weeks, man, some weeks.

red5angel
03-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I like to think Merryprankster trains enough for him and I. I break a sweat just reading his training schedule.

Of course I also break into a jealous rage and throw some heavy stuff, then I sort of come down to a rationalizing phase "hey he's training to fight, I'm just learning to breakdance". then it's off to a quiet cold anger - "I could find out where he lives and put a stop to shaming us on the KFM", and finall a Zen like harmony where his pain is my pain, his sweat is mine and while he's working out for both of us, I'm gonna eact and watch TV for the both of us :D

PezFu
03-21-2005, 03:55 PM
at least 2 hours per day but usually i go overboard because i can't seem to get enough. however, formally i train 3 - 6 classes per week and each are roughly 2 hours in length. we also incorporate the CrossFit regimen at our school and that adds a whole new dimension to fitness and the martial arts. my training generally consists of a daily drilling of basics and applications, bagwork, one-on-one and multiple opponent drills, and i also try to grapple/mma fight for about 6 hours a week. again, this is in conjunction with the CrossFit routine. check this stuff out if anyone wants to:

www.academyofkungfu.org

www.crossfit.com

Pork Chop
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
*This* is why I have a blog hehe
Not only so *I* can remember what I did...
and so others can maybe get some ideas (until of course my pitiful condition becomes a joke to them)...
but so guys like MerryP can see that my claims are day-to-day exaggerations and not just the big, generalized exagerrations. LOL