PDA

View Full Version : Would you go back to this school???

Printer
11-09-2001, 01:38 AM
I have a real problem....

If I am just being a wuss let me know. I need the real truth on this one.

I have been only training Wing Chun for approx 4 months. In that time I have been hurt three times to the point that it actually impacted my on the job performance. It has gotten to the point that I am afraid to even goto school for fear of a certain individual showing up (purple sash) and my getting paired off with him. After speaking with a Sifu (one of six) at the school - I was told basically "deal with it".

Then came the other night. It wasn't going well from the start. I could not seem to do anything right. They had us perform laup/bong drill. The brown belt that was teaching all but yanked my right arm out of the socket. He kept telling me I was doing something wrong - but I did not grasp it for fear of my life. At then end of class I spoke with the Sifu (a different one of the six) asking "what was I doing wrong?". I was told the brown was feeling some kind of force and acting on it. I do not know if he was just showing off or if he was truly ****ed at me for some reason.

I do not speak up in class as I have been taught thoughout my life....Rank has it's priveledges and one should respect his/her teacher. But when is enough, enough.

Thanks for letting me go on. Sorry if I brought any of you down. I truly enjoy this style but live in a small town and my choices are very limited. It's either here or nothing...thus the dilema.

CanadianBadAss
11-09-2001, 01:49 AM
"Thanks for letting me go on"
well... its not like we had a choice...

*cough* Wuss*Cough*

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

joy chaudhuri
11-09-2001, 02:33 AM
Something is very wrong. I dont know which or whose school you go to so I am not being personal about anyone. I dont think that a new student learns much wing chun by just getting beat up.
I dont understand why you are apparently doing very hard lop sao within 4 months.

Watchman
11-09-2001, 02:43 AM
Purple sash?? Brown belt?? :confused: :confused:

Sihing73
11-09-2001, 02:47 AM
Hello,

You and I have conversed very briefly via e-mail in the past. Why not arrange a meeting as we are not that far from each other?

If you have been hurt then there is something wrong with the methods being taught. A hardline school can have benefits but one must progress to this type of training. Four months is a bit early. I train with people who use live blades but they worked up to this level. Injuries do occur but they should be the exception to the rule.

Peace,

Dave

rogue
11-09-2001, 03:53 AM
Muscle shirts? Mullets? :p

It's martial arts so you're going to get hurt. But with that said, the main point of going to a martial arts school is to learn. If you're getting vague answers, getting hurt and feeling fear then that's not the school for you.

Also what is with the belt/sash ranking system there? And six sifu? :confused:

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

S.Teebas
11-09-2001, 03:55 AM
Can you film yourself so we can asses if your a whiny b!tch or not, then we can give you a better answer. Like get someone to hit you in the arm and show us how you take it!

Kind regards,
S.Teebas :D

Sharky
11-09-2001, 07:42 AM
who is your teacher? where do you train?

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

hunt1
11-09-2001, 08:29 AM
do not go back.Find another school if you can.At 4 months you should not be training that way.I question the quality of the WC offered if this is how it is taught.

Jeff Liboiron
11-09-2001, 09:58 AM
Do not go back if you are getting injured every class and are afraid to go. It sounds like it's a school full of ego's to me. There are much better instructors out there.

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Slayer
11-09-2001, 10:37 AM
The are all just asses, Six sifus? And rankings? It doen't soul legitimen to me. It's probly a bad martial arts school if they don't treat you like family.

Slayer

"I never let mu schooling interfere with my education"
- Mark Twain

HuangKaiVun
11-09-2001, 05:00 PM
I'd quit.

You can find better Wing Chun instruction elsewhere.

My sifu, who's a traditional Chinese MASTER, ENCOURAGES me to speak up in "class".

By questioning him, I clear up misconceptions about the art. He's also very conscious of my health and doesn't want me to overexert myself.

You need a sifu like THAT.

fa_jing
11-09-2001, 10:23 PM
You shouldn't be getting injured with this type of training. But being nervous only adds to your tension, making your body more susceptible to injury. I've been in a frustrating situation before where injuries of mine were not respected, so I'm with you on that. There is a difference between pain and injury, pain goes away. Only you know if you feel like your are learning alot and maximizing your time in this class. I think if you ask your partner to tone it done, this should be respected. At the same time, you have to drive yourself or you will give up halfway through class, not true? Which are the movements where you are getting hurt? If your shoulder hurts while being lop sau'd, you need to relax more, turn your arm into bong sau fast. If someone lops you hard, hsuen sau (circular wrist) out of the path of the grab. -F