PDA

View Full Version : Coach

Vash
03-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Okay, so i get to the gym late (7:30am). There's this group of two unknown-age, semi-overweight guys and one mid-20s semi-overweight guy. They're doing chest. now, at this point, I had my MP3 player on, so I couldn't hear what they were saying.
By the time I finished chins, though, I had to remove the MP3 - only had two songs on it. But anyway.

Turns out, this one dude, in his 30s I'm guessin', was "coaching" the other two on everything you can think of - from creatine supplementation (only 30% of people respond well to it, it's a hormone, etc) to proper lifting form (arch your back more, get your hips off the bench) to just shootin' the ****.

So, I walk out of the weights area and head to the cardio room (I can do step-ups in there on those cardio step thingies [they're good for at least one thing, I guess]) to do my Peterson step ups and my swiss ball crunches. This takes me about 8 minutes, counting rest periods. I get back to the gym area - they're still working chest, still talking about proper form (dips on the weight-assistance machine, then back to DB benches).

Before I walked out of the room, I had been in their about 15 minutes (chinups, rotator cuff work, hyperextensions/glute/ham raise). They were there before me.

Oh yes, forgot the old classic lifts: 2- and 3-Man barbell bench, 3-Man Dumbbell Bench, 2-Man Machine-Assisted Dips.

They were their before I got there, working chest, and they were there when I left 71 minutes later.

Though I admire their endurance (the shortest set I heard was 16 reps long - all sets , the "coach" warned, must go to failure), I feel both weaker and less intelligent than before.

Thank God I busted out some bad-ass chins, hypers, and everyone stared at me when I was working.

Oso
03-21-2005, 01:33 PM
funny

not that I have any room to talk but one of the funnier scenes at the gym I went to was all the hangers-on that the two cometitive bodybuilders had hanging around them all the time. guys, not chicks, who would sorta work out around the bodybuilders hoping some of it would rub off on 'em I guess.

Vash
03-21-2005, 01:35 PM
There's a competitive BB who comes in to the gym every once in a while. Does 15 minutes of chest and shoulders, carries a big-ass backpack everywhere, too.

Then he leaves.

I'm assuming he does multiple bodyparts/workouts a day, as he was not only h00j, but ripped.

Oso
03-21-2005, 02:18 PM
OT here but I'll be attempting pull ups again today...this time w/ camera rolling, just in case I luck up.

Vash
03-21-2005, 03:48 PM
You'll pimp on it.

IronFist
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
to proper lifting form (arch your back more, get your hips off the bench)

Wait, you were in the presence of someone who could coach you in the proper methods of humping the ceiling?! I'm so jealous! I've long wanted to learn the proper way to hump the ceiling while I bench press.

Vash
03-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Dude, I walked close enough to him to smell him. That eye-watering aroma? That's genius, baby.

Ford Prefect
03-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Without chemical assistance, 71 minute workouts for chest are pretty pointless. Either way it takes a lot to push yourself hard every set for that long. To each their own.

Vash
03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, they had nice,long breaks. About 5-10 minutes between each person getting down to have the other twolift the bar/dbs for them.

But still, that's a lotta jawin' and not a whole lotta trainin'.

rubthebuddha
03-22-2005, 11:51 PM
vash -- best thing to do in situations like this? find that one finger of yours that can puncture a watermelon, and poke them in the upper pec the day after their chest workout. the whines and moans from them will be priceless as they grimace, holding their overly-sore chest.

from that point on, any time they're in your way (say, being a ***** and doing curls in the squat rack), just make a motion with that uber-finger, and they'll scurry away like frightened puppies. the fear alone of the sore pec will make them cower. :cool: