PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Expanding One's Personal Space?

PezFu
03-21-2005, 03:41 PM
I was wondering if there was any advice on why it's important to expand one's space in a martial arts context? Examples would be helpful. Is this considered an integral part of training? And, is there any advice on how to mentally project that concept? I hope I'm making myself somewhat clear...

Thanks,

Pez Fu

PangQuan
03-21-2005, 04:39 PM
sorry, but thats a bit vague, what regards in a martial arts context do you mean?

As in when you are fighting and you fight over control of your opponents space to give him a disadvantage of terrain and manuverability?

Or do you mean like "hey girlfriend, I need my space to practice, can you leave me alone for a while?"

PezFu
03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
What I mean is , how does one "own" the space when it comes to fighting? Either one on one or against multiple opponents. How does one do it: Physically? Mentally? Spiritually? How does one become bigger energetically than the rest of the people on the training floor? How does one show that through intention? How does one show all of that when training alone (throwing strikes and kicks into the air)?

Again, thanks,

PangQuan
03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
I see what you mean now. That is kind of simple really. It takes practice, and lots of it. You see, to have that glow, and that show, to make everyone notice you out of the crowd, you must have that "winning attitude". This "winning attitude" comes from confidence. The more you practice you art, the more confident in yourself you will become in your movements. The more you sparr/fight/compete the more experience you will gain. Win or lose, a win will undoubtedly increase your confidence for obvious reasons. When you lose, you must see clearly what was done on your part to bring this about. Once you can see that, you will gain from it, thus increasing your personal confidence.

When you see a masterfull person perform anything, you will notice a surety in their movements, this surety comes from the confidence they gained from practice. They know that they know what they know (if that makes sense).

It helps if winning and being recognized are a part of you dreams and goals. This will give you a mindset that is a great seed for planting the growth of victory and confidence.

I hope this is sort of what you were looking for.

train hard

edit for example:

We will go to one of the most obvious men for an example, Bruce Lee. When you see him on the screen, that is the man. The same attitude his characters have on screen was the same attitude he himself possesed. He was a go getter, he had goals that coincided with winning. To be where he wanted to be he had to be a winner. His practice gave him the confidence to fight, his fighting gave him the confidence to win, and his winning gave him the confidence to strive to new levels of fame. This is basically the same with any famous martial artist, or even any famous person in general.

Jim Carey, same deal, he just made people laugh to win instead of fighting.

red5angel
03-23-2005, 01:04 PM
you've got to own it through intention and skill.

Last week in capoeira we were discussing not getting too much space taken from you in the roda. New people tend to get forced into a smaller and smaller area until they have no where to go. That's because the older guys know what they are doing and have the skill to back it up, so like leading a dance, they put you where they want you.

David Jamieson
03-24-2005, 10:06 AM
What I mean is , how does one "own" the space when it comes to fighting? Either one on one or against multiple opponents. How does one do it: Physically? Mentally? Spiritually? How does one become bigger energetically than the rest of the people on the training floor? How does one show that through intention? How does one show all of that when training alone (throwing strikes and kicks into the air)?

Again, thanks,

it is a matter of situational awareness and tactics.

red5's comment of intention and skill hits the correct across the jaw on the sweet spot.

With these both in place you can dynamically move through the situation like a person going through a chess game and thinking a couple of moves ahead, except that you are thinking in a concentration type way, but are making decisions based upon the space you occupy and that which you want to move to including any obstacles in your path and how you want to move against those obstacles (over/through/around/under/leave it).

also dominating on the mat(or sparring) will get you a modicum of respect wherever you train.

Happeh
03-24-2005, 11:46 PM
I was wondering if there was any advice on why it's important to expand one's space in a martial arts context? Examples would be helpful. Is this considered an integral part of training? And, is there any advice on how to mentally project that concept? I hope I'm making myself somewhat clear...

Thanks,

Pez Fu

Expanding one's space can be described thus: You have a personal force field around you like the Star Trek Enterprise has defense shields around it. When you expand your space, you are expanding the shield around you.

In Star Trek the shield is used for defense. Expanding ones space is more like the sensors in Star Trek. You know how Mr Sulu would scan for Klingons or whatever?

Expanding your space is like increasing the detection distance and the sensitivity of your sensor field. Or if you like military analogies it would be like a submarine expanding it's sonar field or a jet expanding it's radar field.

How to mentally project it? I don't know if you can do that or not. The ability is a natural function of practicing martial arts or other practices for enough time. Some people are born with the ability.

Do you watch Dragonball Z? I love that cartoon because it provides so many examples that work for real life. In one Dragonball Z episode, the good guys are on an island talking. Suddenly the most skilled good guy, a character named Goku, stops talking and turns his head around with a mean look on his face.

Goku says "I feel this awful force and it is coming right at us".

That is personal space. When you can sense an opponent without visually seeing him. When you can sense an opponent thinking about you or coming at you, that is personal space.
---

There is a simple experiment you can do to discover what personal space is.

Lean up against a table or stand up straight if you want. Get a buddy to stand on the other side of the room. Just stand there for a few minutes and relax totally. I recommend leaning on the table because that kind of pose cues the body to relax. If you stand up, the body wants to remain alert.

When you feel relaxed, tell your buddy to walk towards you slowly. If he walks right at you, you probably won't be able to feel it. Pretend like you are both at church or the library and acting real quiet like. Don't look at him or focus on him. Stare at the ground or the ceiling or off into space. Pay attention to how you feel.

At some point you should become uncomfortable. When you feel really uncomfortable and you want to move, that is the edge of your personal space. Maybe your buddy gets 3 feet away and you kinda feel something. Then when he is 1 foot away you are thinking, "Hey buddy, get the hell away from me!"
--

One kung fu ability is being able to stand their when somone enters your personal space. People will "check you out" by invading your personal space. If you flinch or backup, they know they can beat you. Their personal energy is stronger than yours and has forced you to retreat. If you stand their or only move back a little, the other guy knows that your energy is at least as strong as his.

Some guy was going to kick my butt one day. He was walking towards me yelling at me. I was not in the mood and plus the guy seemed like a crazy. I retreated as he walked towards me. This was outside so the guy probably walked me backwards about 20 feet. Then when he got close enough to me, he made an extra big step towards me so he was stepping right into my personal space. I stepped back just a little bit stronger and braced myself because I thought he was coming in.

He was only testing me. When I calmly stepped back and braced myself, he knew I was not scared and I would fight with him if he forced it. He stopped following me and went back to his car and left. He only wanted to fight me if he thought he could win. When he knew it was going to be a fight and maybe he could get hurt, he turned around and left.

red5angel
03-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Hey happeh, have you ever stuck your arms in a boiling grease?

Mutant
03-26-2005, 04:08 PM
I believe that perceived control of space first expands outward as one begins to feel more confidence and experiences some power or enhanced ability, and then expands inward as one no longer feels the need to rely on such boundaries or power. On one level, ability, power and physical control expand and may keep expanding externally, while on another level comfort, humility and internal control continue to expand inward.

This may manifest as not caring or feeling the least bit threatend by a strong individual being very close or in contact, but not feeling that a comfort zone has been invaded in a manner which can not be managed and delt with, although by the very nature of control expanding inward that would not cause a consious or stress filled analysis as it takes place.

Not that situational awareness or a healthy sense of caution are circumvented, but one is comfortable with little or no buffer space and can deal with (or except) the consequences. One must keep in mind that unexpected dangers can still occur and be prudent; a man was stabbed to death just this past week about a block away from me in a place I've been many times; personal space was breached and an unexpected knife appeared and punctured a man's heart. He was a tough guy who had probably been over-confident and underestimated the situation. There has to be a balance between safety and comfort. But without allowing the boundries to collapse to some degree and expand inward, one is left to wander in a state of perpetual paranoia and passive aggression, which is the realm of a low level martial artist or thug. Not to say that said thug is not formidable or dangerous, but not confident or comfortable enough in ability to let it go. Once their particular personal space is breached, they are prone to react in an (often irrational) emotional frenzy that is not conducive to self control and finer ablility. This rational & physical control and emptyness is part of what makes up and falls under the broad term of 'internal', in my understanding of it, and enables proper structure, breathing and intent.

I have no idea if this is a universal experience or process, probably not, but i suspect that it happens to some martial artists and is the way that I perceive this and feel.