PDA

View Full Version : pole/spear fighting vs hand to hand.

spiraler
03-21-2005, 03:56 PM
ive been training with a makeshift spear for about 2 weeks and found that the technique that i emloy to attack a point is the same principle in which you attack a point with your fists, they both use a sort of full body popping/snapping motion,
ive also heard of a bagua stylist who modified his spear technique into a ba gua hand to hand system. i consider this interesting due to the fact that sword drawing and judo/jiujitsu have correlations also. gotta keep training i guess.

joedoe
03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Isn't Aikido based on Japanese spear technique?

Yum Cha
03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
My Sifu once told me, "The hand is the mother, the stick is the father, and all the other weapons are the children."

Brad
03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
I've also heard of a bagua stylist who modified his spear technique into a ba gua hand to hand system. i consider this interesting due to the fact that sword drawing and judo/jiujitsu have correlations also. gotta keep training i guess.
This is one of the origin stories of xingyi quan. Dudes started as spearmen, but when peacetime came they developed empty hand techniques out of what they knew of the spear. Hapkido empty hand has some relation to sword drawing too :)

cerebus
03-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Well... Hapkido is NOT Aikido. They were both developed from the same root system (the Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu of Takeda Sokaku) but they went in very different directions. The founder of Aikido, Uyeshiba Morihei, discarded much of the brutality of Daito Ryu and increased the circularity of the art in accordance with his philosophical ideals. The founder of Hapkido, Choi Yong Sul, added striking and kicking techniques derived from Tae Kyon and Tae Kwon Do so as to increase the effectiveness of the art in combat. ;)

SevenStar
03-22-2005, 09:10 AM
ive been training with a makeshift spear for about 2 weeks and found that the technique that i emloy to attack a point is the same principle in which you attack a point with your fists, they both use a sort of full body popping/snapping motion,
ive also heard of a bagua stylist who modified his spear technique into a ba gua hand to hand system. i consider this interesting due to the fact that sword drawing and judo/jiujitsu have correlations also. gotta keep training i guess.

from the sounds of your posts, you are trying to figure things out that you haven't yet been taught... are you actively training under someone?

jujutsu has sword correlation. judo, AFAIK, does not.

spiraler
03-23-2005, 11:10 AM
yes, im training in judo at my college, i can spar and practice with fellow martial artists, and i practice other martial arts from books i read, trying my best to apply them to judo randori. judo is a gentle art and utilizes circles also, i think jigoro kano trained in china also. truly my goal is to become a real martial arts teacher,
and i want to be proficient in more than just one style, kinda like the way bruce lee did it.