PDA

View Full Version : If all weapons were outlawed... (read first post :P)

Disciple
03-21-2005, 09:07 PM
... and hand-to-hand martial arts were more important than ever - how do you think the world would end up?

Remember - this is just hypothetically so things like criminals not negotiating is not part of the topic.

Brad
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
The Ultimate Fighting Championship would take the place of free elections in deciding the leader of our country.

joedoe
03-21-2005, 09:47 PM
It would never happen. People would just find different ways to use 'non-weapons' as weapons. We are tool users after all :)

wdl
03-21-2005, 11:49 PM
More people than ever would make money teaching, "Martial Arts".

-Will

DragonflyDaoist
03-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Personally, I think the world would be a much better place. Men would have to be men, and walk the walk that most only talk.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-22-2005, 06:19 AM
id be glad that i have a big dog.

Jhapa
03-22-2005, 06:31 AM
It would never happen. People would just find different ways to use 'non-weapons' as weapons. We are tool users after all :)

i agree, i think human race as a whole are cowards, so they will be making weapons out of anything, like they do at prisons.

David Jamieson
03-22-2005, 06:33 AM
hypothetically speaking, if there were no guns we would still be killing each other in some other fashion. With that I agree. And we would try to find easier ways to do it than crossing hands.

Ranged weapons were one of the earliest technologies stepping forward in time that allowed one person to kill another without making physical contact with them.

To get good at martial arts takes time and everytime the playing field is leveled, someone will seek and advantage.

I think the gun factor has little or nothing to do with this aspect of what is otherwise simply the human condition.

Violence is a behaviour, not a device.

Paniero
03-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Didn't the ban on weapons in the Orient lead to the advent of such weapons as nunchucks and bo staffs?

We would just find new weapons. U.S. citizens do not have an natural inclination to train for martial arts, but they do have one for conflict. Something would come up.

Vash
03-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Didn't the ban on weapons in the Orient lead to the advent of such weapons as nunchucks and bo staffs?

:( :mad: :( :mad: :( :eek: :(

I weep for the future.

cam
03-22-2005, 09:49 AM
A child with a pair of nunchuks is laughable, a child with a gun is scary.

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I think though that if firearms were all destroyed and only primitive weapons were around, well this would be neat. I would much rather try to dodge an arrow than a bullet. Plus the Japanese have an armor type meant for catching arrows without full penetration (Kozane). So without firearms it would most surely go back to the sword and the bow. Which would fukkin own. Those skills are much more difficult to refine than pulling a trigger.

ewallace
03-22-2005, 09:58 AM
A child with a pair of nunchuks is laughable, a child with a gun is scary.
A child with a gun either has irresponsible parents or really good contacts.

The Willow Sword
03-22-2005, 10:37 AM
If all weapons were outlawed then we would have more illegal means of getting them and using them and nothing would ever really change.

this is a stupid topic. :confused:

Peace,,TWS

Disciple
03-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Did you read the first post? ;)

I never said that it would stop a certain degree of killing, I was just asking you guys how you think the world would be.

Just say that everybody negotiated.

ewallace
03-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I don't think it would change much. From the beginning of time (as far as recorded history), humans have killed one another, for power, money, or for many other reasons.

I understand your question, and hypothetically speaking, if there were absolutely no weapons, I think society in general would go back to a more mob-style-overwhelm your opposition with sheer numbers.

It would be interesting to see how many, if any, world superpowers there would be without weapons of any kind.

On a side note, if there were no weapons, it would be my sole focus in life to kick sevenstar's ass with Water Dragon and our 6-8 ladies. :eek:

joedoe
03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
i agree, i think human race as a whole are cowards, so they will be making weapons out of anything, like they do at prisons.

I don't think it is a matter of being cowards. It is the reason why - according to natural selection and survival of the fittest - we have survived and prospered. Our ability to use tools and devise novel ways of using tools is our strength. To say we are cowards because we develop weapons is like saying that a cheetah is a coward for using its speed.

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 04:51 PM
yep. Its like saying your weak because you practice martial arts. That gives you an advantage over normal folks who dont. You should stop your kung fu now, or you are weak. That makes no sense.

People use weapons because they can, and it works. Without firearms I would carry my katana for sure and most likely a crossbow as well. He!l if it were not for the laws I would carry my katana now.

Radhnoti
03-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I agree with the point made that it would be impossible to outlaw weapons. About to fight? Pick up a hammer, rock, pencil...whatever. If FIREARMS were outlawed, only criminals would have guns. (Heard that before, eh?) If you lived in fairy world and were able to "magically" make all guns disappear, things would probably be pretty similar to how things were before guns existed. In rural areas, most women would be forced to rely heavily on strong men for protection, as would the elderly and sick. A violent gang of young men could enter a residence with intent to do harm with really no fear, except the possibility of some lynch mob catching up to them later.

People who want firearms banned must not live 45 minutes from the nearest emergency services...as I and my neighbors do. Police are called to investigate what has ALREADY happened out here. Studies have shown that when asking convicted felons what their greatest fear was during their commision of violent crimes the answer INVARIABLY is, "That they'd have a gun." The same study subjects also indicated that often just the POSSIBILITY that their victim had a gun had, on occasion, convinced them to seek an easier target.

So, to answer your question, things not directly within the boundaries of a city would be much more savage, in my opinion.