PDA

View Full Version : another quiting smoking thread

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-22-2005, 05:11 AM
i know there have been quite a few of these posted in the last five years, and i even posted one myself as i tried to quit 2 years back and failed 4 days into the attempt, but i did have a couple questions about quitting in the long term. plus its always great to read about other people who have done it.

i didnt want to waste anyone's time again, so this time around i waited a bit before making a thread like this. april 4th will make 6 months since i quit (5 without a single drag ... screwed up here and there during my first month). about 3 months into it i finally thought i had it beat completely. then out of no where there are cravings again. not intense nicotine carvings like when you first quit, but a fond remembrance of blissfully killing myself drag by drag. very fond. i even dreamed about smoking the past 3 nights. i also catch myself occasionally thinking, "meh ... its been so long now you could have a cigarette without becoming a full on smoker again." i know that's retarded, and that i eventually would be smoking on the regular again, but it doesn't stop me from thinking it sometimes. keep in mind i haven't had a beer or anything in 3 months either. plus i didn't quit drinking during the first 3 months i quit smoking and still managed.

so i was wondering ... is this normal .... just another phase of becoming a non smoker? the phase where you start to think you got it beat so well that you could be a casual smoker? if it is does it eventually go away?

it sucks .... i was finally at the point where i'd see someone smoking and i'd feel sorry for them instead of myself. now i'm looking at them with envy again. don't get me wrong .... i got a list about a mile long of reasons not to smoke ... but you only need one to quit quitting.

Vash
03-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Understand this: all cigarrettes have been soaked in my urine for 6 months to one full year before they are allowed to be put on the market.

Food for thought.

NeuroGrrrl
03-22-2005, 07:35 AM
i also catch myself occasionally thinking, "meh ... its been so long now you could have a cigarette without becoming a full on smoker again."

so i was wondering ... is this normal .... just another phase of becoming a non smoker? the phase where you start to think you got it beat so well that you could be a casual smoker? if it is does it eventually go away?

GDA: this is possibly the most classic example of "relapse behavior" there is. Thinking that due to a semi-lengthy period of abstinence from drug or alcohol, that "one won't hurt" and "I won't be back where I was before." It is absolutely normal to have these thoughts, most if not all addicts think along these lines early in their recovery. The trick, as you have figured out, is to NOT give in.

Hang in there!

Becca
03-22-2005, 07:44 AM
It ain't stopped for me. I hate to say it, but I have actually stood out in the smoking area at work just to smell the smoke. :eek: Still break down and have one every once in a while, but the issue of having to wash all my cloths because they stink after even one cigarette keeps me from falling off the wagon completely.

I always enjoyed the taste of them. It was the smell they left afterward I never liked. Making myself wash everything uses to my lazier side to keep at it. I've heard that brushing your teath before smoking will make you dislike the taste, as well, when you doing consistantly over time. I am still working on this, but I don't usually have any toothpast with me when I cave. :rolleyes: :p

Jhapa
03-22-2005, 07:56 AM
been there done that. i do not have a problem quiting, i have in the past just quit cold turkey for 2 to 3 years and pick it back up not because i was craving a cigarette but i missed smoking. currently i smoke but i am getting to a point that i probably will quit because not tasting good anymore. once i quit, will i pick it up again, don't know, depends if i could find some Mild Seven's(my favorite cigs.)

what are your choice of cigarettes? of course mine is Mild Seven's, but currently smoke Marlboro Ultra Lights/Lights.

this thread is just wrong........i think i am going out for a cigarette!

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-22-2005, 08:05 AM
thank you vash and neuro.

becca .. not quite what i wanted to hear, but thanks for being honest and sharing.

jhapa ... your a dirty ho.

Jhapa
03-22-2005, 08:10 AM
thank you vash and neuro.

becca .. not quite what i wanted to hear, but thanks for being honest and sharing.

jhapa ... your a dirty ho.

no, just keep at it, you'll get to a point that you won't even crave it or even dream about it. worst critic of smokers are ex-smoker. i probably need to quit, i kind a get winded during training, of course i am not 21 anymore either.

Ford Prefect
03-22-2005, 08:19 AM
GDA,

Those cravings will last your whole life. In September of 1999, I quit cold turkey from a pack/day habit. I haven't had a single drag since, but I still get cravings. It's strange being so far removed from it, but there are times where I'm like "I could really use a cigarette right now." I even dream about smoking still. In my dream I'll be smoking while thinking that I really shouldn't do it. I keep smoking anyway... I know that I could be a cigarette away from a full blown habit again, so I never give in to the temptation. Just stay strong.

Reggie1
03-22-2005, 08:53 AM
I was a half pack/day smoker until I quit in December '98.

The first 10 months were the hardest for me. The same stuff happened to me about 6 months after quitting. That's when it was the hardest for me, because I struggled w/ the same stuff you are having. "One won't kill me, I won't become a full-blown smoker again." As dumb as it sounds, I also stuggled w/ being a nonsmoker. "Is this something I really want? It's not like I smoked that much, etc."

But I made it through. For me, the cravings became fewer and fewer, and easier to deal with every time they came. I would say it's only about once every 3 or 4 months I get any brief craving, and it's pretty easy to deal with. It's to the point now where I just kind of blow them off. To me they are more like a joke than something I have to stuggle with.

Stay strong, man. You can do it. And it does get easier.

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 09:46 AM
You definately need to just hang in there.

Look at it like this. Compare it to your martial arts. You could stop practicing anytime you feel, and just sit around being a lazy fool. But you stick with it and sustain the speed. You COULD quit quitting and be a smoking fool. But you stick with it and sustain the speed.

I quit smoking several years ago, and It was **** hard. But now I am at the point that ciggarette smoke is discusting to me. It will get easier, but you must test yourself. Remember how bad they are for you. And remember this:

You better checkity check yourself, before you wreckity wreck yourself. One step at a time bro. You CAN do it.

FatherDog
03-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Simple solution.

Tell your wife and daughter that every time they smell smoke on your clothes, they get a free shot at your nuts.

Problem: SOLVED.

Jhapa
03-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Simple solution.

Tell your wife and daughter that every time they smell smoke on your clothes, they get a free shot at your nuts.

Problem: SOLVED.

free solution to vascetomy.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-22-2005, 11:21 AM
thanks everyone. it's good to see that a bunch of ya made it.

ford perfect ...
In my dream I'll be smoking while thinking that I really shouldn't do it. I keep smoking anyway

thats exactly what happens in my dreams.

reggie1 ....
As dumb as it sounds, I also stuggled w/ being a nonsmoker. "Is this something I really want? It's not like I smoked that much, etc."

that does sound awfully dumb, and i find myself doing the exact same thing. my reasoning is that if im just going to want one 5 years later anyway whats the point. on one level i know exactly what the point is ... but on another it sounds nice to ignore it sometimes.

Reggie1
03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
my reasoning is that if im just going to want one 5 years later anyway whats the point.

That's exactly what I thought, too. But you can make it. Now, when I get cravings, it's more like nostaliga--remembering when I used to smoke--than any real threat to my quitting.

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
You want to know my secret on how i quit? Ill tell you.

I told myself that if I was so weak that I could not even give up a stupid cancer stick then I would never amount to anything with my MA. Getting that mentality through my skull helped alot, now when I think about smokers all I see are metally weak fools, with no will power.

This might not work for everyone, but ill tell you this. It is the truth.

Gangsterfist
03-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Its all about will power, and I am an ex-smoker. I quit several times cold turkey. One time for 8 months, one time for 1.5 years, and another time for about 5 months. Started back up each time after that.

Now I can smoke 5 or 6 ciggarettes when Im out drinking and not smoke another cig no problem for days. I can basically smoke at will and quit at will. I know smoking is obviously bad for me, but when I am out with the guys shooting pool and such, and have a few drinks in me, I'll pick up a cig and smoke one.

The thing is I have conditioned my mind to controll my cravings. I know it sounds tough to do, but I do it. My friends who smoke get all crazy about it. They are mad that I can stop at will and not smoke for over a year and then pick it back up and then immediately quit for another year.

Its just something that comes with will power.

red5angel
03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
I've got an idea GDA. Let's do a reality series where you try to quit smoking. We won't tell you when it starts but basically, whenever you pick up a cigarrette, eye a cigarrette, or a cigarrette advertisement, or whenever I think you are thinking of smoking, I'll come from off screen and punch you. It will be not so random as our last idea, and will be even more riveting because now, it's not just a matter o when you will get hit, it will also be a matter of wil this radical new therapy actually help you quit smoking!?

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
lol Red. I bet you could market that. But you will need help, if you get alot of orders. I will help but I think Ill do kicks instead of punches. You could get headbutters, throwers, kickers, punchers, etc.. and see which method works best.

Ming Yue
03-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I started young, smoked for 10 years, then quit cold turkey. I craved for a while but always got past it.

Now it's been years since I've had a cigarette, and I am completely neutral toward them. I don't like going to super smoky clubs or eating when there's smoke around me, but the occasional whiff of cig smoke doesn't bother me either way. I have no desire to smoke.

be resolved, you've made good progress so far.

:)

Jhapa
03-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't like going to super smoky clubs or eating when there's smoke around me

even when i was smoking 1 pack or more a day, i never liked being in a smokey place, or eat while there is lot of smoke, i actually sit in nonsmoking section. i don't even like a lot of smoking the car either. i actually don't smoke in the car either. i actually act like a nonsmoker, with a smoking habit. only time i smoke is few at work and few at home, on the porch with the old lady, about 1/3 of a pack. been slowly cutting down last few months. i'll end up quitting soon, not enjoying as i used to.

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I started young, smoked for 10 years

yeah thats something i didn't mention. i started very very young. sometimes i even lie about how young i started because when i tell people the truth they dont believe me .... they dont say anything, but i can see it in their expression.

the truth is i started smoking at 7 years old :( not a lot mind you ... but i dont think more than a day or two would go by without me having at least one. also, i didn't start inhaling until around 10 or 11, but the fact that i was puffin on them so early means that i have almost no memories as a non smoker.

by 12 i was smoking half a pack a day of camel non filters. switched to basics at 14 or 15 cause of the clinton tax i think and smoked those up until about 3 months before quitting when i switched to camel filters.

now i dont want a ****in pitty party or anything, but the reason i wrote all that is because i really think "it's only a matter of will power" is a little callous when it comes to a history like mine or worse. bottom line sure ... i cant argue it .... but for myself smoking wasn't something that i liked it was a part of who i am. it is a defining characteristic of mike seals/aka GunnedDownAtrocity. i know that i can redefine myself .... its going to take time and a lot of effort but yeah i know it can be done. i hope to some day be where ming yu is at.

my point is that i see a lot of people pass judgment on smokers after they quit. i'm not saying anyone here doesn't remember where they once were, but it is extremely common. a guy will smoke for a couple years durring college, quit, and then look at the guy whos been smoking twice as long as he's been alive like hes a piece of ****. i understand we should feel proud of ourselves for quitting, and if you pat yourself on the back by comparisson i can't blame you, but to seriously judge someone for doing what you were doing just a while back aint right.

tug
03-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Started when I was 16, I am 34 now. Quit twice during that time, once for 6mos, the other for about 2mos. Presently smoking as we speak. But the first time I quit, I was miserable for about 2weeks, then it seemed to get better. Obviously it didn't take. Unfortunately, I still really enjoy my smokes, especially with a nice 12 year old scotch or an ice-age port, but I digress.

I don't believe the cravings/nostalgia/whatever you want to call it ever go away for anyone who has been a smoker. A good friend of mine's father has not smoked for about 30 years and he still tells me he gets cravings, so having said that - once a smoker, always a smoker. Even if you have successfully quit, it will stay with you forever in some form or fashion.

Keep it up, man, good on you and good luck!

(and PLEASE don't become one of those "ex-smokers" you so fondly referred to)

Gangsterfist
03-22-2005, 03:29 PM
been smoking on and off for over 10 years GDA. Some of my friends cannot quit b/c they cannot get past their own addictive personalities. I hate to be a jerk and tell you its all about will power, but it is. I quit cold turkey after smoking for 8 years.

Technically the first ciggarette I ever smoked was at age 9 or so, but never started actually smoking more than one till about 12 or so, and once I hit about 14 I was a regular smoker. So our pasts are very similiar.

I feel your pain man. It sucks, but if you can go 2 weeks with out smoking you are over the hump, the rest of it is in your head. I think nicotine only stays in your system for about 1 to 2 days total. So anyting after a few days is psychological addiction and not physical addition. Unless you are an oral fixation type of person.

You can quit, you just need to will it. Talking about smoking right now kinda makes me want to light one up right now, but I am not going to.

Becca
03-22-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah thats something i didn't mention. i started very very young. sometimes i even lie about how young i started because when i tell people the truth they dont believe me .... they dont say anything, but i can see it in their expression.

the truth is i started smoking at 7 years old :( not a lot mind you ... but i dont think more than a day or two would go by without me having at least one. also, i didn't start inhaling until around 10 or 11, but the fact that i was puffin on them so early means that i have almost no memories as a non smoker.

I believe you, man. I was 11 when I started regularly smoking, too. But I did know some who started as young as you did. If kids are around them, they inevetably try them. That's why I don't smoke what so ever around my kids, and made a point of letting them know were that smokers hack came from; pointed out how nasty it smelled. I actually found enlisting my oldest boy in my efforts to quit to be very helpfull.

PangQuan
03-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Ok, youve had your pep talks. You quit, final. Dont smoke anymore or you suck.
Really man, you already quit, just stick with it. What would your sifu tell you?

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
my sifu would ***** slap me like that one guy in the video.

i think drinking last night for the first time in while without smoking actually helped too. i was thinking it would be hard like it was before, but to be honest i got to drunk to remember what smoking was.

Ming Yue
03-24-2005, 05:24 AM
you went out drinking on your birthday and you didn't cave and light one up?

you're golden. you're good to go if you toughed that out.

Jhapa
04-03-2005, 07:25 PM
it has been one whole week since my last cigarette. don't really miss it. don't even crave it. lets see how long this will last.

IronFist
04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Can you substitute one addiction (a good one) for an old one (smoking)? I've heard people with addictive personalities can do this.

Get addicted to weightlifting or something instead. I dunno. Learn to play guitar or something if you don't already.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-02-2005, 06:22 PM
one year b1tches.

my ram arrived today as well. 1 year 1 gig of ram.

i was going to get 2 but i couldnt swing 160 with xmas coming up :(

Ou Ji
11-02-2005, 08:17 PM
I started smoking around 13. Had cigs before that but didn't smoke regularly until 13. Every time I went over a pack a day I would cut back. I quit once for a few months to see if I could do it and it went well so I resumed my pack a day habit for a few more years.

I quit went I started training MA when I was about 21. I had a cig or 2 a few years afterwards but never resumed the habit. Haven't had one in a long long time now and I'm over 50.

I like to think that I control my body, not the other way around. Also, I've quit worse things than cigs. They're actually the easiest I think and I don't get any cravings at all.

Seems like the longer you go without the easier it gets. At least for me. Sugar was a tough one. I was a mad suger consumer when I was young up to about 30.

I used substitution for one of the worst addictions. Fortunately I wasn't too deep into that one so I was able to dampen the squeezing in the back of my brain with a less addicting substance.

Bottom line is pure will power. Just do it and don't look back.

Mr Punch
11-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Can you substitute one addiction (a good one) for an old one (smoking)? I've heard people with addictive personalities can do this.

Get addicted to weightlifting or something instead. I dunno. Learn to play guitar or something if you don't already.
my ram arrived today as well. 1 year 1 gig of ram.
So, you substituted smoking with interactive pr0n games...?!:D Do you ever leave the house? Congrats on your year. How's the health these days?

Not like I care or anything... but it would be comforting to hear from someone who's been through a lot worse health troubles than my minor glitch of not being able to breathe right now...

BTW, not surprisingly, after having been a heavy smoker for just a couple of years between 17-19 (I started when I was 14/15) and then smoking very little from 24-27ish then even less from then till this health condition (maybe down to only 5 cigs a week), I have now not smoked for over a month.

Of course the fact that I get a violent allergic reaction to cigarette smoke, a coughing fit and lose the ability to breathe at all or without extreme pain and hard work for about five minutes has somewhat detracted from my own kudos! :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-02-2005, 10:14 PM
thanks for askin about the health thing. it's a little weird, but its less than a year after a bone marrow transplant and i've actually never been better. and its not like i was some couch potato before ... i worked out constantly but didn't take care of myself in other ways.

im even more active than before and i dont think i've ever had more wind. between helping adora with her gymnastics/cheering, teaching her ma basics (the mma guys will love to hear that she can do a perfect rear naked), doing the basics myself, biking, walking, showing off, playing in the back yard, working on the house, lifting (just started god i ****ing missed it), etc, i move about as much as im still and im rarely out of breath.

i also eat really healthy now which is something i would have never done otherwise. i eat a ton of fruit and salad. a ton of it. my salads are as manly as you can get for a salad and i actually had to cut back on them a little when i started pooping green (use spinach instead of lettuce).

the only vice i have left is beer and to some degree coffee which is a new vice. i drank coffee before, but i never actually felt the effects of caffine. for some reason thats changed and i kinda like it. i dont drink more than a cup or two a day, but i definately look forward to it. beer has been moderated to 2 or 3 beers 5 nights a week. i tried cutting back to just weekends, but then id just binge drink so i said screw it and let myself have my couple beers at the end of the day.

all my checkups have went great and the only thing that sucks is my one year checkup at john hopkins, the one where ill finally feel safe that the cancer is really gone, falls on friday the ****ing 13th. gda could have it no other way. provided that everything stays gone cancer and the bone marrow transplant is the best thing that could have ever happened to me. i really try not to take things for granted anymore and im at least aware of it when i do. im a better father and a better person and i've finally learned that no matter how far i've come ill always look back 5 years later and think that i was a know it all ****in moron.

lots of blabbing = im doing awesome and thanks for askin.

if the thread hasn't been purged ill ressurect it when i hit year 2 for sure.

Mel
11-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Being a noob, I hadn't seen this thread before. Congratulations GDA. How are your cravings now? I smoked very heavily (2.5 packs a day) for a few years. I quit when I was 20. That was 21 years ago. I used to get horrible cravings--and WEIRD dreams, like smoking 10 cigarettes at once or smoking a 3-foot long cigarette. Crazy. Every once in a while, I'll still have a dream that I'm smoking--and I'm really ****ed off at myself in the dream for doing it. Then I wake up and go "whew!" Every five years or so, I buy a pack of herbal cigarettes--no nicotine. I'll smoke a couple. And then I'll say, "Wow, this is really gross." But such is the power of nicotine that even after 21 years, it tries to lull me like a virgin again--not constantly like in the beginning, but every so often. Fortunately, in 21 years, I have not had ANY nicotine.

Oh, and the cancer, didn't know about that either of course. Hope you do well GDA.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-03-2005, 10:39 AM
thanks mel and im doing fine. i had hodgekins lymphoma so in the absolute worst case scenario where it would come back in the next 2 years i should still have plenty of time to get adora off to college which is good enough for me. obviously thats not what im hoping for, but it helps to think that no matter what i shouldn't be dippin out on her while shes still a kid.

as far as cravings go they are actually pretty rare. at first i really missed just going out and sitting on the porch for a couple minutes here and there. that is until i decided why dont i just go sit on the porch with a beer/coffee/tea/my ***** i was worried it would make me miss cigerettes more, but it acutally helped. i still go out on the porch while my friends smoke and every now and then ill have a mild craving while drinking, one of those i havent smoked in so long one wouldnt hurt type deals, but it passes quickly and that's that.

while i am proud of myself i do have to admit i have had a bit more motivation to quit than most people. i didnt quit during the first rounds of chemo and radiation, but when i was one of the 10% who needed to follow up with a bone marrow translpant i figured thats a good sign its time to quit. if just being a father and setting an example and the sheer money that goes into the habbit isn't enough to make ya want to quit a 4 month trip out of town to completely reset your immune system should do the trick just fine.

FatherDog
11-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Glad you're in good health, GDA.

IronFist
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Cheers, GDA. :D

fa_jing
11-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Fuc(k you GDA.

(J/K)

:eek: :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-04-2005, 09:44 PM
:(

http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20031205-000003.html

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-27-2006, 12:09 PM
running a search for something else i found this thread and thought i'd bump it cause im so awesome.

almost 2 years ... not a drag.

also i didnt mention it before but suzi quit with me. she hasnt had a single drag since either.

we rule.

jethro
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I still can't quit smoking, err, I guess I haven't tried either. Working out evry night was getting easier for me for a while but now I push myself to the limit every night and cougth up some sich ass shlt. But I always make it. Imagine what I could do if I neevr did that stuff. :(

Chief Fox
07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I still can't quit smoking, err, I guess I haven't tried either. Working out evry night was getting easier for me for a while but now I push myself to the limit every night and cougth up some sich ass shlt. But I always make it. Imagine what I could do if I neevr did that stuff. :(
You'd be a super stud like me. Never smoked, never will. I rule!

The Willow Sword
07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Glad that you are doing well GDA. We have had our differences in the past but i whole heartedly respect you for your courage and surviving the cancer. As for your Smoking? Well i smoked all through my teens and when i hit 20 i quit. i quit cold turkey and i think the main thing that helped me to quit was what i supplemented in to my body after the nicotine went away( 3 days is how long nicotine stays in your system after you stop smoking) I loaded up on the vitamin C to aid in repair of my lungs and immune system. i did start to drink coffee and tea( the caffiene). the studies show NOW that coffee in moderate amounts is good for you, just like wine and beer and butter and all those things that they all thought were terrible poisons.
Of course you seem to be eating healthy so you are giving your bod what it needs to repair itself. I also took lots of red ginseng which helped me tremedously. the rest was trying to break that ingram pattern of taking a cigarrete out of the pack lighting it up and taking a drag. Its amazing that when you do something over and over and over again how so engrained it can become within your psyche( now if more people trained like that in martial arts eh?) anyway the point is that trying to break that pattern is a challenge, but not more so challenging than say, doing 100 push ups straight without letting up).

So you just supplement your energy levels with vitamin C and red ginseng, Eat right, replace the "going through the motions" of smoking a cigarrette and replacing them with something else. that tacked onto the "will" that everyone is talking about and you will be fine and tobacco free.

Peace,TWS

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-27-2006, 10:00 PM
thanks willow .... we did have our differences, but you were an adversary i have always enjoyed. i looked forward to arguing with you on the interweb. though i would have never admitted it in the past i always thought you were the type of guy id enjoy getting drunk with just to debate everything you're not supposed to debate. i dont mean any offence in saying your sentiments caught me a little off guard, but i really do appreciate it man. cheers.

Pork Chop
07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Great job GDA. :) I think you're a lot stronger person than I am.

I've never really been one of those everyday smokers- for a month max, but anything longer than smoking daily for week at a time was rare, much more of a weekend thing.

I don't drink that often either- i've had a few months mixed in of binge drinking every weekend, but in general it's pretty rare that i drink more than once a month.

My big issue is when I'm stressed out, when I'm hurt, when I'm angry, when I'm depressed, or when I just want to cheer up; I'll smoke and often binge drink.

The past week has been one of the worst for all of that stuff. I'll admit, I broke down the first night: had a sixer and blew through a pack of newports- I was basically in shock.

The thing is, the pain didn't go away, it got worse. All of the issues got worse. I couldn't smoke and drink in the middle of my ongoing issues, so i was forced to take deep breaths and calm myself down to make the pain go away.

I think it's worked better than smoking ever had and it's bleeding out to other areas of my life- not losing my temper, not so stressed out, not being so down on myself, not feeling so bored, not feeling that i gotta do something crazy to "party". Actually, it kind of reminds me of the revalation that i feel much better when I get enough veggies in my diet.

I find myself eager to commit to cutting it and drinking out of my life.
I'm learning to cope without the self destruction.

So here's to all of us sticking to our guns and living life. Keep it up! :cool:

Li Kao
07-29-2006, 03:04 AM
Grats GDA on making it to year 2!

I recently quit myself after having smoked for almost 10 years -- one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I already feel great. I was one of those people who was ashamed of my smoking -- my sifu knew I smoked and when he occasionally could smell it on my clothes or breath, he would give me hell and I would feel like I was letting him (and more importantly, myself) down.

Both of my parents smoked when I was younger, as did my brothers. There was a time in my teens when the whole family was smoking. My parents had quit for years and picked it back up -- it always worried me a bit that I would never be able to kick the habit because of something my mother told me. She had quit for a period of 7 years, and one night gave in and indulged herself. She said that it seemed to her like she had never quit, the cravings came back that fast, and it took her several years before she quit again.

I was the last one in my family to quit, and what it took for me was my mom going through breast cancer. She had a dual mastectomy and is a survivor, but going through that really hit me hard. My mother does have a genetic predisposition to cancer (her father passed away from it when she was 14) and who is to say how much her smoking was a factor in her own disease, but obviously something like that will make you reevaluate your choices and lifestyle. I wish I could have quit before going through a traumatic event like that, but I guess for me it took something life-changing to realize how short life can be and how I had taken my health for granted.

I feel grateful to have gotten over such an adictive habit, and I feel like mustering up the willpower and fighting the impulses have affected me positively in other areas of my life too -- I have decided to pursue my Master's degree again after years of putting it on hold and working in a career that has paid the bills but doesn't fulfill me mentally. Quitting smoking seems to have been a catalyst for me to address the other areas in my life that I was complacent in -- I'm eating better than ever, I go to the gym 5x a week faithfully, sleep has improved, and I even curtailed my social drinking which was close to getting out of hand too.

To anyone who is trying to quit and just hasn't been able to -- never give up and keep focused on the benefits of quitting -- heck, at the prices of smokes these days, it's just on a financial basis to justify not quitting. One thing I did which helped was to save a percentage of the money I would have spent on cigarettes and then use that to periodically reward myself with something fun -- in my case, I took a vacation to London. Other than the obvious health benefits, it is a psychological boost to have a reward like that for your "good behavior".

I will never look down on smokers anymore, as I think it's a bit hypocritical considering I once smoked like a fiend, but neither will I ever stop giving friends and family encouragement to quit.

*Wow, this was kind of a sappy post after re-reading it, sorry for the length too*

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-29-2006, 09:57 AM
dont be sorry ... this is the thread for that post.

youre not the only one with a few paragraphs.

Mel
07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Excellent news, GDA. You know I have a weak spot for you. ;) It has been just over 22 years since I quit. Still think about it sometimes. Won't go back, though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-31-2006, 07:53 AM
22 years ... **** ... this is what i like to hear.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-21-2006, 11:53 AM
little over 2 years.

how is everyone else doing?

qiphlow
11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
started in 1987, cuz it felt neat! quickly worked up to 2 packs a day, eventually evened out at 1 pack a day. at the end, was only smoking about 6 cigs/day. got a flu in 1999 and didn't smoke for 4 days cuz they tasted nasty and figured, why not quit? i was also feeling like smoking was a sort of roadblock to my meditation/taiji practice. anyway, since then i have had exactly one drag off of a cigarette in 2000 or so--tasted like $HIT. here's the funny part: as a smoker, i never smoked in dreams. as a non-smoker, i occasionally smoke in dreams. i don't miss weed, either, but i do miss taking ecstasy! but back on topic: my successful attempt at quitting cigarettes happened after about 6 tries in 12 years--the longest i had quit previously was only 2 weeks!

Pork Chop
11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Got 3 months under my belt earlier this year.
I don't know what's wrong with me.
I'm not a daily smoker and never have been.
I'll get a ridiculous craving about once every few weekends- sometimes once a month, other times much longer.
The craving usually comes in response to an emotionally traumatic event- like seeing my grandfather in the hospital, thinking he might go any minute; or a particularly lonely evening.
I guess I use it as a coping mechanism.
I'd like to think it's better than going out and getting drunk instead; but I'm kinda getting tired of always going back to that well.
zoloft was kinda helping for a bit, but now not so much & i'm getting tired of taking it.
not sure what i should do.
guess i'll keep trying.

BoulderDawg
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe here in Colorado we just live a healther life style. I know of no one in our school that actually smokes. I'm sure there are a few but these few would not dare light up anywhere near the place!:cool:

Pork Chop
11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
we got coaches who light up behind the gym with the big back door open...
the smell wafts into the gym and even tho i have a smoking past, when you're working out, it'll still make you nauseous...

popular east coast mma fighter dwayne "diesel" shelton smokes before every fight- he's a freak though, competing in MMA, muay thai, and grappling all in a single weekend.

as long as i keep it real infrequent, it doesn't mess with my performance much but i'd definitely rather not do it all.

Reggie1
11-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Next month will be 7 years for me.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
3rd year ... not a drag

golden arhat
11-15-2007, 05:46 AM
my friends dad had something that really helped
when he was quitting he bought a fake cigarette like u can get from fun fairs and such and when he felt the need to smoke again he just puffed on that

no nicotine but it was that lips could feel a cigarette that helped

like that guy said
nicotine only stays with you for a couple of days

after that its all psychological

so you possibly could replace smoking with another activity like sucking a lolipop or something

i smoked for a while when i was about 10 aswel but then my mum found out and that was the end of that hahah

i used to be a heavy drinker aswell and i used goin out and getting smashed with my friends was the usual
and i still smoked marijuana pretty regular up until about 6 months ago

when i made the descision to become straight edge

and now i dont drink smoke or do drugs
i dont know why but i dont feel any longing for my old habits to coem back

i just made a clean break

maybe i'm just weird

bodhitree
11-15-2007, 06:10 AM
four years for me, i quit using this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23711)

my how stupid i was

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
four years for me, i quit using this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23711)

my how stupid i was

lmao ... did you see my last post on the thread?

man i forgot that i tried to quit for adora's birthday. i felt like a real piece of **** when i ended up smoking again 3 days later. got it right few months later though.

bodhitree
11-15-2007, 10:51 AM
lmao ... did you see my last post on the thread?

man i forgot that i tried to quit for adora's birthday. i felt like a real piece of **** when i ended up smoking again 3 days later. got it right few months later though.

that's funny man

oh, and, man, how ****ing stupid did I used to be

Lucas
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
I smoked for over 10 years.

One day I was standing there with about 3 or 4 friends and we were all smoking cigs.

It was at that point I felt how much damage my lungs had taken over the years of abuse I had given them. I could fully feel how awful the smoking was for me.

It was at that point I realized the only way to quit smoking is by truly wanting it.

I went and bought one of those patch things, the three step kind.

I started with the second step patch for about a week, then realized the only good I was actually getting out of the **** thing was the super lucid dreams.

Threw the patch out and found out just wanting it was enough to help me quit.

1 month after I quit smoking I tried a cig just to check myself. I found it utterly repulsive and couldnt even handle smoking it, I had to put it out.

Havnt had one since.

edit: that was 5 years ago

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-24-2009, 10:58 AM
found this looking for my training log . . .. currently working on year 5. i have had a few cigars though. not as in a few here and there . . . i think ive had 2 or maybe 3 in the last 2 years. none before that as i felt it was too risky.

Pork Chop
01-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I've gone 3 weeks without smokes or alcohol.
Was never more than a weekend guy anyway.
A coworker has been using peer pressure to get me to fall off the wagon, and I know he's gonna rag on me if I fall off any time before april.
I'll be happy if my new year's resolution sticks to July.
Still got a ways to go.
Find myself with a lot more freetime on the weekends.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
stick with it man . . . it gets harder before it gets easier, but it does eventually get easier. i couldnt even imagine smoking now . . . i mean once in a great while ill miss it, but there's no actual urge, and i know id miss being a non smoker a ****load more than i miss being a smoker.

i haven't had any beer since new years either, but thats just a january thing for me. kinda remind myself that there are some things i dont need as much as i think i do . . .. like my own personal passover.

Pork Chop
01-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Well the fact that I can actually do stuff on the weekends without having to worry about healing up from the previous day's sins is very nice.

The best selling point for not smoking thus far is that it doesn't feel like my body's falling apart after a good workout day. My ability to heal & my resistance to getting sick feels much improved. Kinda makes me feel a few years younger. If I can turn back the clock a bit, then it's worth a few boring weekend evenings.

I do kinda miss going to Flying Saucer for 3 of their 200+ types of beer; but I've got stuff I need to accomplish before I'll allow myself that pleasure.

David Jamieson
01-28-2009, 07:51 AM
stick with it man.

the single best argument for not smoking is that you live better.

smoking is an addiction, like heroin or crack, but is become less and less socially acceptable all the time.

i think within a decade or two it will be completely illegal to smoke in north america.

BoulderDawg
01-28-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't think it will ever be illegal to smoke. However I think that, sooner or later, the law will state no smoking in public. You could only smoke in the privacy of your own home or a smoking lounge.

I haven't seen the recent statistics but both my parents chain smoked and it appears that almost all adults smoked in the 1940s and 1950s. That started to change a little in the 60s/70s. Here in Boulder I would guess less than 20% smoke. When I was in the south I saw 2X/3X more people smoking than here in Colorado. I think in the future that will go down to less than 5% but the tobacco companies will never go out of business....not then they can make a pack of cigarettes for a nickle and sell them for 5 bucks.

Anyway I just don't see why anyone starts. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people who smoke today are children of smokers. My observation has been that usually smoking is a family thing.

sanjuro_ronin
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Smoking has just become illegal in a car with a child present, in Ontario.
It is now illegal to smoke in ANY public place ( I don't know about those that have designated smoking rooms though).
Of course this is all part of the master plan to not have Ontario health pay for any smoking related diseases, which cost 10's of millions per year in Ontario alone.
It has been rumored that Ontario health will stop footing up th ebill for smoking related disases in the next 20 years.
Or so goes one of the conspiracies.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-29-2009, 01:09 AM
The best selling point for not smoking thus far is that it doesn't feel like my body's falling apart after a good workout day. My ability to heal & my resistance to getting sick feels much improved. Kinda makes me feel a few years younger. . .

the hardest part is when that novelty of not smoking wears off and you're just left without cigerettes. for me it was about 2 months in, and then again around 6 months in. if you can make it through that your golden.

Chief_Suicide
01-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm glad your resurrected this thread. I've tried to quit numerous times and never been successful. The best I've done is a few months.

I noticed that when I try and quit now, I become a holy terror. When I was younger and quit smoking, it didn't seem to bother me like that. I could chew nails now, when I try and stop.

Has anyone ever tried Chantix? I'm not keen on getting on one drug to give up another, but I know a few people who have used it successfully.

I've kept up with my new years resolutions so far this year, but to stop smoking wasn't one of them. I like the idea or quitting better than I like actually quitting.

sanjuro_ronin
01-29-2009, 07:24 AM
the hardest part is when that novelty of not smoking wears off and you're just left without cigerettes. for me it was about 2 months in, and then again around 6 months in. if you can make it through that your golden.

Pick up another addiction like slapping old ladies or kicking cats or my personal favorite, swiping credit cards in the butt cracks of sexy strippers.

TaichiMantis
01-29-2009, 07:29 AM
...or my personal favorite, swiping credit cards in the butt cracks of sexy strippers.

:eek:...and how's that working out for you?;)

sanjuro_ronin
01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
:eek:...and how's that working out for you?;)

It goes well with my MA training regime, as you can imagine.
:D

bakxierboxer
01-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Pick up another addiction like slapping old ladies or kicking cats or my personal favorite, swiping credit cards in the butt cracks of sexy strippers.

??????
Whaddaya do when you hear the modem dial out, connect and ring up the sale? :D
(and where does the authorization number come out?) :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
??????
Whaddaya do when you hear the modem dial out, connect and ring up the sale? :D
(and where does the authorization number come out?) :rolleyes:

Now, a gentleman never tells.
;)

Pork Chop
01-29-2009, 08:52 AM

First three months are almost a gimme because of peer pressure.
Or rather, I should say "reverse peer pressure".
One of my buddies from work likes to try to derail anybody that's doing anything healthy.
It's mostly tongue in cheek, because he knows he's screwing up at the moment.
For me, he's saying I won't make it through St Paddy's day; so I'm d@mn sure I'm going to make it to April - of course that's not just smoking, that's alcohol as well.
April's going to be the tough month.
In May we're having a baby; June's my birthday but July's right around the corner so I'll make sure not to mess up that month.
A drink anytime the last week of July wouldn't be a bad thing.
I only get nicotine cravings when I'm drinking; but it's definitely worth it not to indulge again if I hit the July mark without alcohol.

Pork Chop
01-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Has anyone ever tried Chantix? I'm not keen on getting on one drug to give up another, but I know a few people who have used it successfully.

A close friend of mine did and it worked like magic.
He was a heavy smoker and since he's been on Chantix, it looks like he's reversed the aging process.

bakxierboxer
01-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Now, a gentleman never tells.
;)

Oh?
and, pray tell, does a "gentleman" grease his credit card, or not?
(and just what kind of "grease" would that be?)

Lucas
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Dont give in, never stop the fight until you win.

one thing that helped me to quit was looking at my addiction like a weakness. because, it is. one that can kill you.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-30-2009, 08:04 PM

. . . or catching homeless people on fire. catching homeless people on fire was my anti-drug.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-30-2009, 08:09 PM
First three months are almost a gimme because of peer pressure.
I only get nicotine cravings when I'm drinking; but it's definitely worth it not to indulge again if I hit the July mark without alcohol.

oddly enough i used alcohol to help me make it through the first few months. it was rough after a beer or two, but as soon as i knew i was in trouble, i just started slamming them until i passed out. probably not the brightest approach, but i made it work. i wouldn't want to do that with the beer i drink now, but 5 years ago i was still drinking crap.

ironically, i just picked up a cohiba today. i've never had one, but i wanted to get a good cigar to celebrate my month without alcohol or coffee. it was a rough month because suzi got me 3 cases of really really good beer for christmas and i had to look at it all month. i even had one in the fridge that smiled at me all month long. im gonna get that sucka tomorrow at midnight.

GeneChing
02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
The Ruyan V8, yea, that's just what I want to take a drag off of...

Chinese e-cigs gain ground amid safety concerns (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jwETll8rB7gQPC1Xh516-0DSrdzwD96K6TT80)
By AUDRA ANG – 2 hours ago

BEIJING (AP) — With its slim white body and glowing amber tip, it can easily pass as a regular cigarette. It even emits what look like curlicues of white smoke.

The Ruyan V8, which produces a nicotine-infused mist absorbed directly into the lungs, is just one of a rapidly growing array of electronic cigarettes attracting attention in China, the U.S. and elsewhere — and the scrutiny of world health officials.

Marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking and a potential way to kick the habit, the smokeless smokes have been distributed in swag bags at the British film awards and hawked at an international trade show.

Because no burning is involved, makers say there's no hazardous ****tail of cancer-causing chemicals and gases like those produced by a regular cigarette. There's no secondhand smoke, so they can be used in places where cigarettes are banned, the makers say.

Health authorities are questioning those claims.

The World Health Organization issued a statement in September warning there was no evidence to back up contentions that e-cigarettes are a safe substitute for smoking or a way to help smokers quit.

It also said companies should stop marketing them that way, especially since the product may undermine smoking prevention efforts because they look like the real thing and may lure nonsmokers, including children.

"There is not sufficient evidence that (they) are safe products for human consumption," Timothy O'Leary, a communications officer at the WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative in Geneva, said this week.

The laundry list of WHO's concerns includes the lack of conclusive studies and information about e-cigarette contents and their long-term health effects, he said.

Unlike other nicotine-replacement therapies such as patches for slow delivery through the skin, gum or candy for absorption in the mouth, or inhalers and nasal sprays, e-cigarettes have not gone through rigorous testing, O'Leary said.

Nicotine is highly addictive and causes the release of the "feel good" chemical dopamine when it goes to the brain. It also increases heart rate and blood pressure and restricts blood to the heart muscle.

Ruyan — which means "like smoking" — introduced the world's first electronic cigarette in 2004. It has patented its ultrasonic atomizing technology, in which nicotine is dissolved in a cartridge containing propylene glycol, the liquid that is vaporized in smoke machines in nightclubs or theaters and is commonly used as a solvent in food.

When a person takes a drag on the battery-powered cigarette, the solution is pumped through the atomizer and comes out as an ultrafine spray that resembles smoke.

Hong Kong-based Ruyan contends the technology has been illegally copied by Chinese and foreign companies and is embroiled in several lawsuits. It's also battling questions about the safety of its products.

Most sales take place over the Internet, where hundreds of retailers tout their products. Their easy availability, O'Leary warns, "has elevated this to a pressing issue given its unknown safety and efficacy."

Prices range from about $60 to $240. Kits include battery chargers and cartridges that range in flavors (from fruit to menthol) and nicotine levels (from zero — basically a flavored mist — to 16 milligrams, higher than a regular cigarette.) The National Institutes of Health says regular cigarettes contain about 10 milligrams of nicotine.

On its Web site, Gamucci, a London-based manufacturer, features a woman provocatively displaying one of its e-cigs. "They look like, feel like and taste like traditional tobacco, yet they aren't," the blurb reads. "They are a truly healthier and satisfying alternative. Join the revolution today!"

Smoking Everywhere, a Florida-based company, proclaims it "a much better way to smoke!" while a clip on YouTube features an employee of the NJoy brand promoting its e-cigarettes at CES, the international consumer technology trade show.

Online sales make it even more difficult to regulate the industry, which still falls in a gray area in many countries.

In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration has "detained and refused" several brands of electronic cigarettes because they were considered unapproved new drugs and could not be legally marketed in the country, said press officer Christopher Kelly.

He did not give more details, but said the determination of whether an e-cig is a drug is made on a case-by-case basis after the agency considers its intended use, labeling and advertising.

In Australia, the sale of electronic cigarettes containing nicotine is banned. In Britain, the products appear to be unregulated and are sold in pubs.

Smoking is tightly woven into the fabric of daily life in Ruyan's home turf of China, the world's largest tobacco market where about 2 trillion cigarettes are sold every year.

Tobacco sales, the biggest source of government revenue, brought in $61 billion in the first 11 months of last year, up 18 percent from 2007, the Communist Party's People's Daily newspaper said.

In a country where the cheapest brands of cigarettes cost about 20 cents a pack, the e-cig is far pricier. Ruyan's V8 costs $240 and includes batteries and 20 cartridges of nicotine solution, roughly the same number of puffs as 20 packs of tobacco cigarettes. The line has expanded to include cigars and pipes crafted from agate and rosewood.

Ruyan is suing a Beijing newspaper for questioning its safety and for claiming in 2006 that its products have more nicotine than regular cigarettes.

Miu Nam, Ruyan's executive director, blames the newspaper for a hit in sales and profits but declined to give details.

"We have to restore consumers' confidence, we have to clean up people's doubts," Miu said.

An operator at the Beijing Times refused to transfer calls seeking comment Friday to managers at the newspaper. A reporter said she had heard of the case but would not give any details.

Some international experts back Ruyan's claims its product is safe.

David Sweanor, an adjunct law professor at Ottawa University and former legal counsel of the Non Smokers Rights Association in Canada, said e-cigs have the potential to save lives.

With smoking, "it's the delivery system that's killing people," Sweanor said. "Anytime you suck smoke into your lungs you're going to do yourself a great deal of damage. Nicotine has some slight risks but they are minor compared to the risk of smoke in cigarettes."

Dr. Murray Laugesen, a New Zealand physician involved in tobacco control for 25 years who was commissioned by Ruyan to test its e-cigs, said he found "very little wrong" with them.

"It looks more like a cigarette and feels more like a cigarette than any other device so far and yet it does not cause the harm," he said. "It's the best substitute so far invented for tobacco cigarettes."

In the U.S, both Philip Morris USA and RJ Reynolds have introduced cigarettes that did not burn tobacco, but the technologies were very different from the e-cigarette. Neither has been successful.

In 2006, Philip Morris USA, test-marketed the Accord, which used a heating unit activated by puffing. RJ Reynolds introduced its cigarette, the Premier, in 1987 and still sells the Eclipse, which heats the tobacco rather than burning it. Sales are "not great," said spokesman David Howard.

Li Honglei, a fast-talking 28-year-old public relations manager in Beijing, has been smoking since he was in his teens and desperately wants to quit. He thinks he may have found his answer in Ruyan.

"I was intrigued by this new technology," said the pudgy, bespectacled Li as he surveyed products displayed in glass cases at Ruyan's brightly-lit shop in the capital. "I heard acupuncture is effective as well, but this method sounds more painless."

Associated Press writers Chi-Chi Zhang and Yu Bing in Beijing and Vinnee Tong and Carley Petesch in New York contributed to this report.

uki
02-27-2009, 06:35 PM
i have stopped smoking cold turkey several times over the years... the last time was nearly 3 years ago, of course there have been a few drags slipped in here and there, mostly when i was outta my head drunk. just recently in december i quit drinking altogether after waking up one day with a swollen liver... haven't had the desire since and i don't plan on it... i even passed on some free bud that my friend owed me for a truckload of firewood i gave him. seems the year of the ox has brought in some new change that is much welcomed. goodluck everyone, i know first hand that its easier said than done, but where there is a will, there is a way.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
5 years no smoking.

also just had my 5 year cancer check up. im considered as cured as one can get ... they dont even bother doing scans from here on out unless there are some symptoms that warrent it.

Lee Chiang Po
11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
5 years no smoking.

also just had my 5 year cancer check up. im considered as cured as one can get ... they dont even bother doing scans from here on out unless there are some symptoms that warrent it.

Congratulations. That is indeed an accomplishment. Also, congratulations on the no smoking. I quite about 6 or 7 years ago myself, after about 45 years of doing it. It was one day at a time until I was completely over the urge.
My wife is less willing to give it up, so I bought her some of those American made E smokes. They seem to be taking over the habit for her. Even if it is trading one addiction for another, it is still nicotine, but without the other 1,000 smoke poisons that you get from burning tobacco. It can not be good for you, and has not yet been determined just how bad it might be, but I see it as far lesser of the 2 evils. Also it is much cheaper.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-05-2009, 08:29 PM
thanks man. i had to google e cigerettes and found this vid: http://awearnessblog.com/2009/04/fda-skeptical-about-e-sm.php

does your wife say that it is even remotely similar to smoking an actual cigerette? if so, kudos to the company that made them. i think.

Lee Chiang Po
11-06-2009, 01:35 PM
thanks man. i had to google e cigerettes and found this vid: http://awearnessblog.com/2009/04/fda-skeptical-about-e-sm.php

does your wife say that it is even remotely similar to smoking an actual cigerette? if so, kudos to the company that made them. i think.

Actually it is pretty much like smoking a real sig. It has an artificial taste that is remotely like tobacco, but the wife says it was more like cinimin. It looks just like smoking a sig too. The smoke is actually a water vaper of sorts that contains nicotine. She actually smoked less from it and smoked no real sigs at all for that first day. Then she got sick, but not from the esigs, but something else she ate. Anyway, She says it is different, but not a lot different.
Something I noticed is that people tend to try to hot box the esig. It is like it is going out and needs to be puffed on harder. So they waste some of it by doing that. I told her to just breath the air straight into the lungs and she did. She says it is like real smoke when you do that, and another thing is that at first they tend to smoke it more than a real sig. They soon slow down because they get a real nicotine high. Just 4 or 5 tiny little drops is equal to a full pack of smokes for an average person. If a person must smoke, the esigs are the way to go. It feed the nicotine addiction, yet it will not blacken your lungs with the nasties. I am still taking notes on this so have not completely come to conclusion.

LCP

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-06-2009, 10:27 PM
. . . my reasoning is that if im just going to want one 5 years later anyway whats the point. on one level i know exactly what the point is ... but on another it sounds nice to ignore it sometimes.

ha! that was pretty cool reading that quote. been five years now and i dont want one at all. of course i still drink entirely too much. victory baltic thunder right now.

uki
11-07-2009, 10:25 AM
ha! that was pretty cool reading that quote. been five years now and i dont want one at all.good stuff!!

of course i still drink entirely too much. meh. we are drinking precisely the amount we should be. :D

victory baltic thunder right now.i am a fan of the victory hop devil myself...

Lee Chiang Po
11-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I have never been one much for beer. I can handle a bit of wine, but I prefer stronger spirits. I have even considered buying myself a still. People misunderstand me when I say I don't drink any more. Actually, I really don't drink any less either. But who knows? If I had myself a still things could move on up.

LCP

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-08-2009, 01:44 AM
good stuff!!
meh. we are drinking precisely the amount we should be. :D
i am a fan of the victory hop devil myself...

hop devil is an increible brew. storm king is probably my favorite bar none.

David Jamieson
11-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I get a good laugh from americans who have finally discovered real beer after being forced to swill parrot **** for generations.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-08-2009, 05:10 PM
hey now, americans brew some awesome beer, and its not exactly a new trend. its just never been as popular as the carbonated camel ****. that's changing little by little though.

jdhowland
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
hey now, americans brew some awesome beer, and its not exactly a new trend. its just never been as popular as the carbonated camel ****. that's changing little by little though.

Here's my pet conspiracy theory regarding American breweries: the Prohibition Act put most breweries out of business. The American public were stuck with bootleg liquor, cheap gin and homemade wine. When the act was repealed a few wealthy investors were able to buy out the old businesses and start megabreweries with huge distribution systems to outdo any lesser competition. This gave them the power to sell an inferior product made with rice and other cheaper grains with the fizz added artificially by carbonation. By then, the new generation of beer drinkers thought that the alcopop sold by the likes of Anheuser-Busch was really beer.

Pretty much the same strategy used by major lending institutions.

By the way, GDA, I'm glad you're still with us.

Be well.

jd

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks man, im glad to be around. i'm also glad that i went through it. there's a lot of things i don't take for granted any longer. a lot of things i've changed that i wouldnt have otherwise.

and your beer theory doesnt seem all that far fetched. prohibition very well may have been a factor in the creation of the megabreweries. there's probably a lot of other factors as well. american consumerism in general tends to favor cheaply made mass produced disposable products across the board. the big beer companies simply being a reflection of that is another possible factor.

jdhowland
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=GunnedDownAtrocity;969669]thanks man, im glad to be around. i'm also glad that i went through it. there's a lot of things i don't take for granted any longer. a lot of things i've changed that i wouldnt have otherwise. QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean. After a year of being very ill my daughter was recently found to have brain cancer. She can't talk, can barely move, but she was happy to finally have a diagnosis. That's one tough little girl. It keeps you real.

Be well.

John

Lucas
11-10-2009, 01:36 PM
5 years no smoking.

congrats bro, i just hit my 7th year myself. i smoked for 12 :eek:

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=GunnedDownAtrocity;969669]thanks man, im glad to be around. i'm also glad that i went through it. there's a lot of things i don't take for granted any longer. a lot of things i've changed that i wouldnt have otherwise. QUOTE]

I think I know what you mean. After a year of being very ill my daughter was recently found to have brain cancer. She can't talk, can barely move, but she was happy to finally have a diagnosis. That's one tough little girl. It keeps you real.

Be well.

John

how old is she, and what's the prognosis? :(

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
congrats bro, i just hit my 7th year myself. i smoked for 12 :eek:

nice man. i was at the checkout with my buddy the other day, and i watched him pay a little over five bucks for a pack of cigerettes. i already had plenty of reasons to be thankful i no longer smoked, but that certainly added to it.

jdhowland
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=jdhowland;969850]

how old is she, and what's the prognosis? :(

Thanks. She is 14. She had to wait until she got a peripheral tumor before the surgeons could do a biopsy. At least three more tumors, too close to the brain stem to operate at this time. Started radiation two days ago, then got too sick to continue. Overall, if she makes it through the radiation course, prognosis is good. We expect about a year of treatment before she gets to come home. I'll fly down to Seattle tonight to spend a week with her. I know that you and Sal and several others on this forum have stared the final doom straight in the face and were changed by the experience. We just never want our children to go there.

I'll keep you posted. Got to get her back on her feet again. She's one of my best training partners.

John

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-12-2009, 12:11 AM
dude id rather go through 100 bone marrow transplants than see my daughter, or yours for that matter, go through anything remotely close to that. and what's interesting is that the kids usually take it better than the parents. i've never been in your position, but i've seen sick kids, and they seem to go through the motions much better than their parents watch them go through the motions. i get all bent out of shape when my daughter has the flu, so i can't begin to imagine. i'm known for my somewhat colorful and animated demeanor on these boards, but its in all seriousness when i say that my heart goes out to you man.

you'll guys will get through this, just make sure to laugh as much as possible. it sounds cliche, but its absolutely true. watch lots of comedies. play jokes on the nurses. tell stories about the cartoon characters you encounter in everyday life. make fun of everyone, including eachother. this might sound odd or even callous, but in my opinion, if she can laugh at her own situation that's huge. i honestly believe that my sense of humor, as sick and twisted as it may be, was a big part of getting me through my own situation. you cant feel sorry for yourself when your laughing at others, or when making others laugh at you.

Lucas
11-12-2009, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=GunnedDownAtrocity;970002]

Thanks. She is 14. She had to wait until she got a peripheral tumor before the surgeons could do a biopsy. At least three more tumors, too close to the brain stem to operate at this time. Started radiation two days ago, then got too sick to continue. Overall, if she makes it through the radiation course, prognosis is good. We expect about a year of treatment before she gets to come home. I'll fly down to Seattle tonight to spend a week with her. I know that you and Sal and several others on this forum have stared the final doom straight in the face and were changed by the experience. We just never want our children to go there.

I'll keep you posted. Got to get her back on her feet again. She's one of my best training partners.

John

Best of wishes to your daughter. Thats an incredible fight shes going through...

sanjuro_ronin
11-12-2009, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=GunnedDownAtrocity;970002]

John

Not sure if this will mean much to you, but I will keep her in my prayers and ask My Lord and Saviour to watch over you and your whole family and give you the strength you need in his very difficult time.

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-13-2009, 12:04 AM
you quoted me by accident, and im a stout agnostic, but it means something to me anyway. the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too.

sanjuro_ronin
11-13-2009, 07:25 AM
you quoted me by accident, and im a stout agnostic, but it means something to me anyway. the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too.

For some reason your name came up in that quote rather than John's, nevertheless I appreciate what you said.
Heathen !

jdhowland
11-13-2009, 10:46 PM
... the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too.

LOL

That's the point, isn't it. On some level, every life is valuable. Everyone's OK. As long as compassion is there.

Thanks, everyone. By the way, my daughter's name is Ivy. I hope to get her posting on this forum someday. She has been training since she was three years old. Even in her weakened condition the medics are amazed at her strength and lung capacity. Maybe she'll feature in a qigong healing thread, soon.

To get back to the subject matter, has a genetic component for "addictive personalities" ever been found? Ten years ago I spent a couple of weeks trying to give birth to a kidney stone that was in danger of destroying my right kidney. Trying to dig it out the M.D.s punched it through my ureter and never found it. Not the worst thing you can go through, but the pain was considerable. After a lot of oxycontin and morphine, I never craved painkillers again. Yet a friend who went through some serious back pain after a skiing accident couldn't stop thinking about that last oxycontin tab in the glove box of his car. To his credit, he never took it but he was impressed by how difficult it was to throw it away.

My mother smoked from the time she was 13. Tried to quit a couple of times as an adult. Then, at the age of 50, put a pack of cigarettes into her handbag in case she felt the craving, but never smoked again.

I can't seem to get addicted to anything. I used to smoke cigars once in awhile. Never felt a craving for nicotine, but I like to watch the pretty smoke curl into the air (I'm an unrepentant pyro: love to stare into the fireplace, too). But after having kids I decided that I didn't want them thinking it was grownup or cool to smoke.

Cigar smoking was problematic, anyway. Besides not wanting to influence my offspring there was the threat of mouth cancer. But the main reason is the logistics of where I live. I won't smoke in the house because of the odor. I won't smoke in the dark because I can't see the smoke. I won't smoke on a windy day for the same reason. Given that I live where it is dark half the year, and too cold or breezy much of the time, and the fact that you have to have 40 minutes of leisure to enjoy a good stogie, means it just isn't worthwhile.

That combination of tactile and visual feedback makes a subtle demon for smokers to handle. I read somewhere that people who lose their eyesight as adults frequently stop smoking.

So what are your reasons for leaving it alone?

jd

jdhowland
11-13-2009, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=jdhowland;970084]

Best of wishes to your daughter. Thats an incredible fight shes going through...

Thank you, Lucas. And congratulations on seven years!

jd