PDA

View Full Version : why study martial arts?

spiraler
03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
i visited a martial arts school once and the teacher asked me why i want to learn martial arts. i hesitated because i didnt want to say the wrong thing since his tone was a little testy n said "i dunno" and long story short went home, when i actually reflected on it, i wasnt able to answer it simply.there are many reasons why i want to learn martial arts, but the question is, are these reasons the right reasons. you see alot of people practicing their karate or kung fu judo jujitsu whatever, but you think to yourself (especially when you can see the mentality of the typical mmartsist on spike tvs ufc reality show)do they just want to learn how to hurt people? fight for money? sport?. if you think of it, and actually questioned why you study martial arts, what answer would you come up with?

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
First of all I practice kung fu to improve my life. To deepen my understanding of Tao. Health. Comradship. The obvious self defence/offensive reasons. And to help others.

Initially when I went to find my teacher it was derived from my studies of Tao. I had studied Tao for several years before I became interested in MA. I learned that Tao can be studied through martial arts. This interested me intensly. I began by picking up a boken and practiced on my own and began to develop my own style. Eventually I got a real blade. This continued for four years before I actually found a kung fu teacher I wanted to learn from. Personally I did not even veiw an instructed class before I joined, I just wanted to talk to the individual in question and determine for myself as to whether he was of good moral quality.

You see I used to be the punk kid picking fights and getting into trouble, then I found Tao. Its funny, its almost like one of those "ive been saved" stories, just a little different.

so thats pretty much what I come up with when i reflect. My path with martial arts was always deliberate and pre meditated.

red5angel
03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I study so that when I can't talk people into seeing my way I can beat them into co-operating. Sometimes I just skip straight to beating them.

Shaolinlueb
03-22-2005, 12:50 PM
i study kung fu too meet hot kung fu chicks :D :p

red5angel
03-22-2005, 12:51 PM

ooooh! can I change my answer?!

spiraler
03-22-2005, 12:59 PM
yes i find the tao interesting too, are you familiar with the book of changes/i ching? ba gua stylists use the tao and the i ching in their martial art, pretty sure,
and as for the hot kung fu chicks that can put their leg over their head, oh man oh man oh man, thats a true test of ones will not to try to get to know them a little better isnt it? well thats a broad spectrum of replies. :D

Shaolinlueb
03-22-2005, 01:01 PM
well i wasnt 100% serious about my answer. lol i train cause i like the workout and what i learn. i do it for fun.

wdl
03-22-2005, 01:02 PM

That's why I started, however there is a distinct lack of hot chicks around the school at the moment. lol

-Will

Happeh
03-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Acquisition of Power.

Extend Life Span.

Improved Health.

Desire to be an Elevated Human Being.

Most people don't know why they take kung fu because no one ever vocalized some very basic ideas in their presence. Human Beings want and need power. Practicing Kung Fu is a way to acquire power.

What is fighting? Your power against the power of the other person. A non trained person practices martial arts to increase his power so it is greater than the other persons.

What is it that is sexually attractive or just plain attractive? Power. People say that a person's body or personality is what is attractive. The body is a physical representation of the person's power. A powerful person has a powerful body. They usually have a powerful personality.

The more power a person gains, the more "elevated" they become. I use the word elevated to mean an advanced person or a person better than the average person.

It is my belief that we are here on this planet to make ourselves the best we can be. If we do kung fu, we slowly gain in physical, personal and mental power. If we do kung fu until we are 80 like the old sages, I cannot even imagine the things they must know and be able to do.

I want to know. I want to know exactly what those 80 year old sages know. What kinds of crazy physical feats can they perform? How did they live to be 80? What kind of spiritual or mental abilites do they gain from accumulating power for 80 years?

It is quite fascinating to think about. Those stories in kung fu movies about flying and being invincible and all the other crazy stuff are based on some real life ideas. Just like all myths and legends have some kind of truth in them somewhere.
You know how old asian people look like they have real young skin? That is real life evidence that kung fu does make you healthy and extend your life span.

What if you really could train yourself so strong you could jump across tree branches like a monkey or you could walk on plates floating in water like Gordon Liu does in the 36th Chambers of Shaolin? Or you could really walk on the shoulders of people like Tony Ja does in the movie Ong Bak?

Power. Kung fu is all about the acquisition of power.

FngSaiYuk
03-22-2005, 01:19 PM
When it comes down to it, it's all about fun. My version of fun isn't necessarily the same as everyone elses. I happen to enjoy controlled violence. I happen to enjoy rigorous training. I happen to enjoy martial history. It's all fun to me.

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Speaking of monkeys in trees, if you read the Anelects of Confucius, it is stated that the ancients (we are talking confucius' ancients, seeing as how he is ancient to us this a very very ancient) lived in trees during the summer and fed on raw meat, that they would even devour the fur and feathers. And that in the winter they would live in caves. This is the part of us that is drawn to they physical activities, the instinctive attributes of human kind to be one with the wilds. MA gives us a taste of what true freedom is, what it was to be human thousands of years ago, before our territories, dynasties, empires and governments.

So in a sense Kung Fu is a modern physical representation of a freedom we had so very long ago.

Merryprankster
03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I do it because I am the classic sportive/competitor guy.

That is, I don't do it for the challenge or the opportunity to master myself.

I do it because I like to beat other people up and feel like a big man. This feeds my ego. That is why I compete so much, because I am basically a bully. Any person who knows that martial arts and "sport" don't mix will tell you that this is true of all competitors.

spiraler
03-22-2005, 01:31 PM
true, kung fu gives you power, but is this a noble or evil motive? we see so many power mongers who cause destruction and chaos among us. saddam, bin laden,unruly leaders,molester priests,misleading sifus. is the acquisition of power a righteous reason to continue studying martial arts? i ask this because i am afraid of my martial training leading to evil. almost sounds like some jedi knight lore, but seriously. i wish i can ask a wisened teacher why he decided to learn martial arts.(not saying you guys arent wise or anything like that)

spiraler
03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
yes i agree on that, kung fu training does strengthen my connection with nature and the freedom of my spirit we had as we roamed the earth thousands of years ago before this metropolitan nightmare.very insightful, thanks for renewing that feeling.

ewallace
03-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I do it because I like to beat other people up and feel like a big man. This feeds my ego. That is why I compete so much, because I am basically a bully.
****, that is definitely signature quality material. I will debate whether to use that the rest of the day. :eek:

Even if you were being factitious.

Ray Pina
03-22-2005, 01:53 PM
I never had to face that question. My dad said he brought me to his co-worker to begin teaching me when I was 4 because I was "karate chopping" all the furniture. My oldest memories are of doing forms with my sensei.

Ask me why I train now, and its sort of a matter of unfinished business. I love martial arts and I think I have ability to learn or understand a technique relatively quickly, I'm also not shy about testing it out -- probbaly from just growing up sparring and having gone through the bloody noses, then add the contact from football and the acquired confidence/balls to drop in on a 15 foot wave breaking over shallow reef.

All of these have led me to frealize I have met a true master who's technique I believe in and it would be a shame if I didn't explore how far I, with my life's experience, can take it. So here I am.

Meanwhile, in the past 3 or 4 months alone I have grown tremendously, and its all due to my master. He and my first sensei are like fathers to me, older men who I highly respect and admire and see fit to learn from.

Merryprankster
03-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Even if you were being factitious.

Facetious, yes.

Factitious, not so much.

ewallace
03-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Me...fail english...unpossible.

Whose sig was that anyway?

Disciple
03-22-2005, 02:08 PM
You know, it might seem odd and obscure but... :( ... I do martial arts because one day I wanna be able to protect other people in a violent kinda way.

I know you can talk things out, but I like the other way better. :D

PangQuan
03-22-2005, 02:33 PM
For alot of the "wisened" sifu they began to study martial arts because it was a product of the environment they were in.

For example my sifu was brought up in a temple, from a child. Kung fu was part of the environment. This is not uncommon.

Fu-Pow
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
I think that when people first get into martial arts it is for self-defense or fitness, which are both important goals in and of themselves.

Eventually the goal becomes more subtle, and it becomes about Transforming the Body and Mind.

Eventually, it becomes about Transcending the Body and Mind and thats where Martial Arts meets up with philosophy and religion.

Reggie1
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I started for several reasons. I played competitive sports in high school, and missed it after I quit. After the competetive sports, I could never manage to keep a consistent exercise program up. So I took up kung fu. And loved it. Been training for over 6 months with no desire to stop.

Why do I continue to study?

1. To stay in shape.
1A. To learn how to fight.
2. The chi kung and meditation I am learning is good for my mind. I have a brain that tends to be easily distracted. The stuff I'm doing helps me keep my focus.

Dim Wit Mak
03-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, if you study martial arts, you can post on this forum. I guess you could post even if you didn't. :)

Happeh
03-25-2005, 12:09 AM
true, kung fu gives you power, but is this a noble or evil motive? we see so many power mongers who cause destruction and chaos among us. saddam, bin laden,unruly leaders,molester priests,misleading sifus. is the acquisition of power a righteous reason to continue studying martial arts? i ask this because i am afraid of my martial training leading to evil. almost sounds like some jedi knight lore, but seriously. i wish i can ask a wisened teacher why he decided to learn martial arts.(not saying you guys arent wise or anything like that)

Power is neutral. It is the use it is put to that is evil or good. That saying that "power corrupts" is true, not just some old saying. When you become powerful, it is very easy to push the weak around. A person who gives into this urge is usually considered evil. People that resist the urge are usually considered good.

It is necessary to be careful with martial arts. It is very very very easy to become evil or a bully. This happens to most people who gain real power.

You have to know the differences to discuss the ideas accurately. If you take kung fu and get stronger or healthier, you will probably not turn evil. You might get aggressive. That is really common. If you take kung fu and you truly develop some real kung fu power, it is very easy to turn evil.

Star Wars is correct. The lure of the dark side is strong. Pushing people around is easy. Most people feel good if they satisfy their desires, even if it means hurting someone else. Exercising power makes a person feel more power so it can be a viscious spiral. A person learns some real kung fu power, then people start acting scared around them. That sense of fear from the other people gives even more power to the kung fu guy and presents even more of an attraction to be evil and bullying.

You will find lots of real kung fu people, I mean real kung fu, not sports or fun or medicine or new age or anything else kung fu. I mean real kill people kung fu. Lots of them will be criminals or military or government. One school was like half criminals. The other half was police who were there to keep tabs on the criminals. Any of the criminals could easily kill anyone. Not because they could jump high or do forms good or they were super skilled.

They had the real kung fu power that allows you to just walk thru other people. They were kinda scary. ;) What really blew my mind was that all of the criminals could beat the hell out of the police. It really upset my ideas that good was stronger than evil. In the short run, evil is stronger and more rewarding.

Vash
03-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Power is neutral. It is the use it is put to that is evil or good. That saying that "power corrupts" is true, not just some old saying. When you become powerful, it is very easy to push the weak around. A person who gives into this urge is usually considered evil. People that resist the urge are usually considered good.

It is necessary to be careful with martial arts. It is very very very easy to become evil or a bully. This happens to most people who gain real power.

You have to know the differences to discuss the ideas accurately. If you take kung fu and get stronger or healthier, you will probably not turn evil. You might get aggressive. That is really common. If you take kung fu and you truly develop some real kung fu power, it is very easy to turn evil.

Star Wars is correct. The lure of the dark side is strong. Pushing people around is easy. Most people feel good if they satisfy their desires, even if it means hurting someone else. Exercising power makes a person feel more power so it can be a viscious spiral. A person learns some real kung fu power, then people start acting scared around them. That sense of fear from the other people gives even more power to the kung fu guy and presents even more of an attraction to be evil and bullying.

You will find lots of real kung fu people, I mean real kung fu, not sports or fun or medicine or new age or anything else kung fu. I mean real kill people kung fu. Lots of them will be criminals or military or government. One school was like half criminals. The other half was police who were there to keep tabs on the criminals. Any of the criminals could easily kill anyone. Not because they could jump high or do forms good or they were super skilled.

They had the real kung fu power that allows you to just walk thru other people. They were kinda scary. ;) What really blew my mind was that all of the criminals could beat the hell out of the police. It really upset my ideas that good was stronger than evil. In the short run, evil is stronger and more rewarding.

. . . pass the kool-aid.

Becca
03-25-2005, 04:42 AM
I was wondering when Vash was going to pull this guy's punk card... :p

It is necessary to be careful with martial arts. It is very very very easy to become evil or a bully. This happens to most people who gain real power. Evil is not a thing, it is a point of view. No one action is good or bad; that designation is assigned by those who see it or experience the end result of a action. If it negatively affects you it is bad. Bullies often have nothing to do with martial arts. That co-worker who continually harrasses you is acting the bully, but I doubt they are laying a hand on you...

The biggest reason to be careful with your training is so you don't accidentaly hurt a friend, family member, or some innocent bystander who just happened to brush your arm and startle you... You need to train your mind so that it will be stronger than your reflex to defend yourself with everything you have, because sometimes, that just isn't apropriate. KOing someone who cut infront of you is not apropriate, nor is it ok to throtle someone for grabbing your sholder. Kniffing someone 'cause they threw a punch is also not good. But if you aren't careful, this is exactly what can happen.

shaolinsoccer
03-25-2005, 05:42 AM
I've seen lower rank martial artists want to bully or fight sometimes. Once you've been doing MA for awhile and start to understand it, being evil or a bully is not even in your thought process. You know that you can defend yourself, when to do it & not to do it. I don't think people turn evil from MA. If that happens, you've got to look at the instructor & the principles he/she is teaching.

Becca
03-25-2005, 06:09 AM
I've seen lower rank martial artists want to bully or fight sometimes. Once you've been doing MA for awhile and start to understand it, being evil or a bully is not even in your thought process. You know that you can defend yourself, when to do it & not to do it. I don't think people turn evil from MA. If that happens, you've got to look at the instructor & the principles he/she is teaching.
I'd call that being meen and/or egotistical, not evil.

SiuHung
03-25-2005, 07:14 AM

Wow, I've read 2 threads so far today, both of which you've posted utter nonsense in. You've convinced that it would be in your best interest to: 1) stop watching too many movies 2) stop ingesting whatever's making you hallucinate 3) stop living in fantasy land before you have a psychotic break from reality.

Good luck!

Merryprankster
03-25-2005, 07:47 AM

No, it happens to *******s.

Becca
03-25-2005, 08:10 AM
No, it happens to *******s.
:eek: ROFLMAO! :D :D :D

HearWa
03-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm really into the athletic side of martial arts right now. Maybe it's the athletics that I enjoy and I keep martial arts there as a reason for working so hard... I dunno. It's good motivation.

I was a rather chubby youngster who couldn't do much in school for sports, so I must say I really am enjoying out-winding and out-cunning those I spar with. I also love the feeling of not having enough energy to even stand after a good workout. Skipping, shadow boxing, forms, weights, bag work, pad work, sparring... it's all great stuff. I never want it to end.

The brotherhood side of martial arts is good, too. Imho it's better to have friends who have the same hobbies/interests as you than a bunch of "drinking buddies." You'll never stop improving with a nice band of buddies at your side.

grrlfiend
03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
That's why I started, however there is a distinct lack of hot chicks around the school at the moment. lol

-Will

thanks a LOT will!!!!

i will remember that remark for a LONG TIME!!! :mad:

spiraler
03-25-2005, 07:53 PM
evil is self defeating, it can never win, justice will always prevail because it will never give up, evil has already given up.

spiraler
03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks a LOT will!!!!

i will remember that remark for a LONG TIME!!! :mad:

hold on i missed that, i just gotta say,BUSTED! looks like someone aint gettin none for a while.HAHAHAHAHAH!women will always be deadlier than men.

Kristoffer
03-26-2005, 06:21 AM
just do it

SPJ
03-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Have a little fun.

Ask ourself the other way. Why not study MA?

We learn to read and communicate.

We learn to know cosmos, physics, chemistry, math, medicine, sports, entertainment etc.

We learn to listen to music, to dance, to paint, to swim etc.

Why not learn to know your physical ability and improve it?

Why not learn some basic skills and knowledge about how to defend ourself?

If it is ok to own a gun to defend ourself? why not that it is ok to study MA to defend?

If it is ok to move our arms and legs to dance and have fun;

why not move our arms and legs to practice some defensive moves?

So somebody punches your face, what do you do?

punches your chest or abdomen, what do you do?

kicks to your --- what do you do?

:D

Happeh
03-27-2005, 03:03 AM
I was wondering when Vash was going to pull this guy's punk card... :p

Evil is not a thing

The biggest reason to be careful with your training is so you don't accidentaly hurt a friend, family member, or some innocent bystander who just happened to brush your arm and startle you... .

Should I care that someone who wants to be a cartoon character is saying things to me?

Evil is a thing. When you meet evil, you will know that it is a force, not a word or idea.

The biggest reason to be careful with your training is so you do not make yourself sick.

Happeh
03-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Wow, I've read 2 threads so far today, both of which you've posted utter nonsense in. You've convinced that it would be in your best interest to: 1) stop watching too many movies 2) stop ingesting whatever's making you hallucinate 3) stop living in fantasy land before you have a psychotic break from reality.

Good luck!

Hi! I just read your post to me.

You've convinced me that 1) you are rude to total strangers and have no manners 2) you are unable to refute a person's points so you call names and make insults 3) stop ingesting whatever it is that is making you such an a$$hole 4) Stop living in that evil world where you try to hurt total strangers. Change your life so that you extend the hand of friendship to new people. It will change your life for the better.

Becca
03-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Quoting Star Treck, Star Wars, or anything else Sci Fi related as a comparison in a serious thread is going to get you labled a troll, wether you meen to or not. And trolling when you are a newb to the forum is going to get you flamed. This is not spacific to just this forum, either. That is pretty much eticette everywere... :rolleyes:

Happeh
03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Quoting Star Treck, Star Wars, or anything else Sci Fi related as a comparison in a serious thread is going to get you labled a troll, wether you meen to or not. And trolling when you are a newb to the forum is going to get you flamed. This is not spacific to just this forum, either. That is pretty much eticette everywere... :rolleyes:

Etiquette? You can't spell and you feel justified to call me a troll or make fun of me because you don't appreciate what I say?

What I see? I see myself making a point, then all the blowhards leave. They justify it by saying I am a troll. What they really mean is that the only thing they have on their side of the discussion is the willingness to be a blowhard. They have no ideas or evidence or thought process to show why they say what they do.

Some guys over in the internal martial arts thread say there is no such thing as internal. I post a video of internal strength and 5 pages later, not one person mentions the video. Why it proves internal strenght. How it proves internal strength. Why the video means nothing and I am totally wrong.

It looks like no one cares about reality. They either want to talk artsy ****sy philosophy, showcase their knowledge of MA buzzwords, or they just want to argue.

Reggie1
03-29-2005, 08:49 AM
I'll bite.

You said:

Then Becca said:

Evil is not a thing, it is a point of view. No one action is good or bad; that designation is assigned by those who see it or experience the end result of a action. If it negatively affects you it is bad.

That seemed pretty constructive to me.

Can you prove the existence of Evil?

They had the real kung fu power that allows you to just walk thru other people. They were kinda scary. What really blew my mind was that all of the criminals could beat the hell out of the police. It really upset my ideas that good was stronger than evil. In the short run, evil is stronger and more rewarding.

Where did you get this information from?

unkokusai
03-29-2005, 09:31 AM
What I see? I see myself making a point,

It looks like no one cares about reality. .

Considering that you are the only inhabitant of your own special little "reality", its no wonder you believe you are making a point when everyone else sees irrational rambling.

Good luck with your imaginary world.

David Jamieson
03-29-2005, 09:54 AM
I train for a few reasons. First and foremost being, I simply love to do it.

Because of this there are many benefits.

Body balance, awareness, better quality of physicality than on average, better quality of health than on average.

Self defense is part of it and even in the sense of sparring. These acquired skills do map over into ability to 'handle oneself' in a contest or a hostile confrontation to some degree dependent on ones training and focus.

An inner peace, a sense of contentment, a lack of stress, a clear mind with enhanced acuity. These are all benefits of martial arts practice for me.

As far as all the 'be carefuls' and 'secrets' go, these types of things only distract and detract from practice and in my opinion are best left out except in teh common sense areas.

ewallace
03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
2) you are unable to refute a person's points so you call names and make insults

3) stop ingesting whatever it is that is making you such an a$$hole

Not following the laws of the 6 P's.

red5angel
03-29-2005, 12:20 PM

was there ever a doubt in your mind as to him being a troll?! I just can't figure out if it's Xebs or not, I'm getting that feeling though.. let's wait to see if he starts quoting rock songs....

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-29-2005, 12:34 PM
i practice because i feel dead if i dont. i have felt dead for far too long.

its going to be nice to feel alive again.

cam
03-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Why study martial arts?
To rail against the mediocrity that seems so pervasive in the U.S. and Canada.

No_Know
03-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Power cannot be given unless it is possessed~. If you give an attacker power then you had power the assailant did not necessarily have.

Acquisition of power.?. Acquiring excellence is perhaps more correct and being the most one can as a Human might be a reason to do martial arts; at least Kung-Fu.

You go into it because of the physical that wows you, as breakdancing, ballet, the vocal strength of opera people, the build of a rock climber...but find the the physical for any of these might merely be a focus for other things. For truths.

And they provide situations for thinking. It might get to be how you see life or deal with life.

Why get into martial arts? you want to do what they do. Your reasons for staying ?..get into it then you tell us...

Kung-fu seems like a door. There is a house with many doors, perhaps a room. We all want into that room or house. The house or room might be called Purpose. Kung-Fu would be merely a door. There are many doors. The idea is to get in... Open-up.

I No_Know

red5angel
03-29-2005, 02:32 PM
i practice because i feel dead if i dont. i have felt dead for far too long.

its going to be nice to feel alive again.

that's a good way of putting that GDA. If my avatar didn't freighten taichibob/spiraler so much I'd make it a sig of mine.

Becca
03-30-2005, 12:27 AM
was there ever a doubt in your mind as to him being a troll?! I just can't figure out if it's Xebs or not, I'm getting that feeling though.. let's wait to see if he starts quoting rock songs....
I guess I don't so much see him as a troll, but rather more of a disalusioned kid who has done ont enough serious reading and is trying to express himself the only way he can. When all one reads or watches is SciFi, that is the way one tends to relate. I understand what he's getting at, as I also enjoy SciFi in all it's many fascettes. BUt I have made a point in ballencing myself out, intellectually. To do otherwise is to activly promote stagation in oneself.

My spelling, on the other hand is because I just don't care enough to go back and spell check myself on a forum. I fit my posts into nooks and crannies of my time at work when there is a lull. I ain't wasting this pressious time unless I really goof it up to the point I can't be understood... :eek: :o :p

Edit: BTW, this isn't Zebby. Even Zebby isn't dumb enough to act shocked at having his punk card pull after trolling.

TaiChiBob
03-30-2005, 05:17 AM
Greetings..

Red: again, the Avatar has its own issues (deer-in-the-headlights look), but i have stated no fear of an avatar, only the handicapped mentallity that would conceive of such juvenile nonsense is "spooky".. and, again, please have the decency to research IP addresses and such, you will discover that i use only one identity.. or is it simply your preference to misquote and deceive..

Red, look around you.. you are the boil on this forum's butt, seriously.. do you take pride in such recognition? i have to wonder what sort of disturbed mind chooses this path..

Be well..

Happeh
03-31-2005, 09:03 AM
Can you prove the existence of Evil?

Where did you get this information from?

Can you prove the existence of atoms? You yourself. No quoting scientist, he said she said, I read it in a book, everyone knows that. Can you yourself prove the existence of atoms?

But we all know they exist right?

Where did I get the information from? I do not think you read the quote too closely.

David Jamieson
03-31-2005, 10:45 AM
atoms can be viewed with the latest in electron microscope technology.

they acually have a process where they strip atoms from crystals and replace them with other atoms.

It's pretty cool stuff actually. Anyway, just saying you can 'see' atoms which in turn proves that the theory of them was correct.

red5angel
03-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Becca, you could be right, I keep forgetting how much young minds are influenced by the media. However, this guy acts more like someone older, I just keep getting a whiff of troll dung....

taichibob/spiraler - I never stated you were afraid of the avatar, just girls. Your fear of the non-pen!s carrying type is obvious.

Reggie1
03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Can you prove the existence of atoms? You yourself. No quoting scientist, he said she said, I read it in a book, everyone knows that. Can you yourself prove the existence of atoms?

What Kung Lek said. Yes, I can. With the proper equipment.

Where did I get the information from? I do not think you read the quote too closely.

I re-read your quote and still didn't see where you got this information from.

More specifically, this

Lots of them will be criminals or military or government. One school was like half criminals. The other half was police who were there to keep tabs on the criminals.
and this.

What really blew my mind was that all of the criminals could beat the hell out of the police. It really upset my ideas that good was stronger than evil. In the short run, evil is stronger and more rewarding.
Which school was this? Can I speak to the instructor? How did they keep stats on the criminals beating the Hell out of the cops?

TaiChiBob
03-31-2005, 12:08 PM
Greetings..

taichibob/spiraler - I never stated you were afraid of the avatar, just girls. Your fear of the non-pen!s carrying type is obvious. And to think that i used to believe my neighbor's dog was stupid for chasing its own tail, biting it, then getting madder at it for hurting .. now, we have R5A, and that dog doesn't seem so stupid after all..

Becca
04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Becca, you could be right, I keep forgetting how much young minds are influenced by the media. However, this guy acts more like someone older, I just keep getting a whiff of troll dung....
1. Age is counting number of years you live. Maturaty is how adult you act.

2. I stopped trusting the age an on-line entity gives. I used to take the time to meat people. Almost 1/2 of them were kids who claimed to be as much as 20 years older than they were. Most of the rest were no-shows. I stopped putting forth the effort. :rolleyes: I have invited some forum members to meet. They never showed, or backed out at the last minute. The invite was never returned. So I just quit carring...

sorry about the ramble. :o

In other words, he maybe the physical age he clames, but he posts like a kid. There fore, I will treat him as such untill he starts showing some maturity in his posts.

spiraler
04-01-2005, 09:34 PM
i .....am.....not....tai....chi...bob....damit! i am the one and only, loved by all.....dadadada.........spiraler? beeeeaaaatch.......!!!!!!!!!!!>...!>1K1jip'gfrsua t9-2qvc43sa'
Gikrep,[fc0432

ZIM
04-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I guess I don't so much see him as a troll, but rather more of a disalusioned kid who has done ont enough serious reading and is trying to express himself the only way he can. When all one reads or watches is SciFi, that is the way one tends to relate. I understand what he's getting at, as I also enjoy SciFi in all it's many fascettes. BUt I have made a point in ballencing myself out, intellectually. To do otherwise is to activly promote stagation in oneself.

My spelling, on the other hand is because I just don't care enough to go back and spell check myself on a forum. I fit my posts into nooks and crannies of my time at work when there is a lull. I ain't wasting this pressious time unless I really goof it up to the point I can't be understood... :eek: :o :p

Edit: BTW, this isn't Zebby. Even Zebby isn't dumb enough to act shocked at having his punk card pull after trolling.
Hunh? I didn't understand a word. :D

Nah, I got it. Thing is, its just overly-dramatic nonsense. Evil isn't really a force or a thing, more the negation of a thing, the absence of something. I mean, hey, I've met some really evil bastids in my life & they all seem to have lacked something essential to being human & good & all that. What's maybe the key to it as a point of view is that they seem to regard others' as less than fully human themselves- more like property than living, breathing beings.

As for "getting out" more intellectually: Good on you. Nothing is more dreary than being in a room full of Hitchhiker's Guide quoters...

For Ze Topic:
-There's no reason whatever to study Martial Arts.
-I can't dance & I'm tired of waitresses.
-I hate running & weightlifting.
-C'mon, stop with the ****ed questions already & hit me
-It all started with "No, mom, I'm just reading in here!"
-I was seduced & betrayed by a wealthy scoundrel.
yatta yatta yatta take your pick.

spiraler
04-01-2005, 10:11 PM

very good point.

spiraler
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Hunh? I didn't understand a word. :D

Nah, I got it. Thing is, its just overly-dramatic nonsense. Evil isn't really a force or a thing, more the negation of a thing, the absence of something. I mean, hey, I've met some really evil bastids in my life & they all seem to have lacked something essential to being human & good & all that. What's maybe the key to it as a point of view is that they seem to regard others' as less than fully human themselves- more like property than living, breathing beings.

As for "getting out" more intellectually: Good on you. Nothing is more dreary than being in a room full of Hitchhiker's Guide quoters...

For Ze Topic:
-There's no reason whatever to study Martial Arts.
-I can't dance & I'm tired of waitresses.
-I hate running & weightlifting.
-C'mon, stop with the ****ed questions already & hit me
-It all started with "No, mom, I'm just reading in here!"
-I was seduced & betrayed by a wealthy scoundrel.
yatta yatta yatta take your pick.

wow, i just now got that.

Happeh
04-02-2005, 03:06 AM
What Kung Lek said. Yes, I can. With the proper equipment.

I re-read your quote and still didn't see where you got this information from.

More specifically, this

and this.

Which school was this? Can I speak to the instructor? How did they keep stats on the criminals beating the Hell out of the cops?

I see no point in answering these questions. I was talking for fun. Not to be quizzed on the veracity of the story. If you believe me fine. If you don't, that is fine too.

Stats? Beating hell out of cops? I never said it happened. Is that the cause for the disbelief? Looking at what I said "the criminals COULD beat the hell outa the policemen". That is why I said whoever didn't read close enough. It is my opinion that the criminals woulda stomped the policemen into the ground. Opinion only.

Happeh
04-02-2005, 03:13 AM
atoms can be viewed with the latest in electron microscope technology.

they acually have a process where they strip atoms from crystals and replace them with other atoms.

It's pretty cool stuff actually. Anyway, just saying you can 'see' atoms which in turn proves that the theory of them was correct.

Hmmm. Are you telling me that you have an electron microscope in your pocket? Or you have access to one? If you do have access to one, why should I believe the pictures you show me are atoms? You could be taking a picture of dust mites and just making up all the atom stuff. Just because you show me a picture of an atom does not prove that the thing in the picture is the smallest particle of an element that retains it's characteristics. You have to prove all of that too.

If I can have your time and attention for long enough, I can prove evil exists. It is a pain in the behind just like gaining access to an electron microscope to prove atoms exist is a pain in the behind

Let me throw something out here for consideration.

If I tell you that demons, zombies, angels etc are all people, does that mean evil exists? Demons are supposed to do evil right? And if people are demons, that means that demons are real, not imaginary creatures. If demons are real then evil should also be real.

fa_jing
04-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Evil and Good are loaded terms. We'd have to define them just to discuss them.