PDA

View Full Version : Partial distal bicep rupture

Ernie
03-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey guys
i know nothing of TCM but i'm open to try anything , go a partial rupture of the bicep , not enough to require surgery but the ortho said live your life and call when it falls apart !

so what [if there is anything ] can i take for helping biceps heal , i got Jow WSL formula been brewing for 7 years :D stinks like black death

My sifu said i should check out a Chinese doc. thought i would go in with a little information first so i'm asking you guys

i'm not the dorment type [sparring , mountain bikeing , snow boarding , rafting , you name it ]

would suck to be 20 miles out on a class 5 rapid and have my arm pop !

any advice would be great

email me if you want Ernie@wingchuncoach.com

YuanZhideDiZhen
04-14-2005, 03:50 PM
that particular description covers a lot of ground.

what kind of tear in the muscle actually occurred? is it medial to the muscle fiber's length or lateral across the bundle? how much muscle mass is torn in terms of muscle diameter of tear and total muscle diameter?

did someone practice an eagle claw/crane's beak flesh tearing technique on you?

Ernie
04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
the ortho said the muscle is sheared , he really was not the most talkitive guy i kept asking him questions and he just told me just live life if it tears off i'll fix it

as of now my arm is about 80% back my speed and and strength have returned but there is still a tender spot were the tear happened , been rehabing on my own , and hitting the wieghts very carefuly but , i'm open to any advice :D

i tore it sparring :D

thank you for the response

Pakmei
04-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Hello,
Best advice is go and see an experienced acupuncturist / tui na practitioner.

Because of the muscle tear was quite extensive, your going to have quite a bit of scar tissue forming which will eventually shorten the muscle and cause you pain.

Acupuncture would be able to increase the circulation of qi and blood with the needles quite easily while the tui na will help in reducing the amount of scar tissue that forms and eventually making sure that the circulation of qi and blood run though the wound area easily.

The tender spot is local stagnation of qi and blood, because the wound is still not completely healed and ofcourse there is now some scar tissue formed where the muscle fibres have been repairing themselves.

Keep the area warm as possible, as the wound has not healed it will be easily open to external pathogenic invasion of wind, cold and damp which will complicate things in the long run and slow the healing process down.

Regards

Ernie
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello,
Best advice is go and see an experienced acupuncturist / tui na practitioner.

Because of the muscle tear was quite extensive, your going to have quite a bit of scar tissue forming which will eventually shorten the muscle and cause you pain.

Acupuncture would be able to increase the circulation of qi and blood with the needles quite easily while the tui na will help in reducing the amount of scar tissue that forms and eventually making sure that the circulation of qi and blood run though the wound area easily.

The tender spot is local stagnation of qi and blood, because the wound is still not completely healed and ofcourse there is now some scar tissue formed where the muscle fibres have been repairing themselves.

Keep the area warm as possible, as the wound has not healed it will be easily open to external pathogenic invasion of wind, cold and damp which will complicate things in the long run and slow the healing process down.

Regards

awsome thank you :D i will track some one down here in LA , My sifu gave me his DR. card but he doesn't speak english and i don't speak chinese :( so i'll look around

funny how you brought up the cold thing as for some reason i started to wear long sleeve under armour http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept%5Fid=4

since i got injured , and have not gone with out it when i train , funny

oasis
04-16-2005, 07:46 PM
ernie,
sorry to hear about the injury. you've gotten some good advice here. i just have a question. i learned that a common (but not necessary) presentation of a distal biceps tear is a 'popeye' arm because the muscle gets retracted by its proximal part. did you have this?

good luck with healing...

Ernie
04-16-2005, 10:59 PM
ernie,
sorry to hear about the injury. you've gotten some good advice here. i just have a question. i learned that a common (but not necessary) presentation of a distal biceps tear is a 'popeye' arm because the muscle gets retracted by its proximal part. did you have this?

good luck with healing...

nope my rupture is partial so the tendon is still some what attached :)

YuanZhideDiZhen
04-18-2005, 10:39 AM
well, in my experience you've waited too late to really be proaxctive in treating your wound.

when your arm was 60% healed would have been the time to start a stretching limbering workout such as qi qong with 'raise the sky' or 'lift the moon' type excercises where forward, upward ranges of motion are used. 5 elements qi would b good as well. when the limb is good and flexible without warmups then you should've started taichi with long range of motion excercises and yogic breathing. aim to take fifteen minutes for the first quarter.

that, uh, cranes beak shears pretty nicely, eh?

Ernie
04-18-2005, 12:08 PM
well, in my experience you've waited too late to really be proaxctive in treating your wound.

when your arm was 60% healed would have been the time to start a stretching limbering workout such as qi qong with 'raise the sky' or 'lift the moon' type excercises where forward, upward ranges of motion are used. 5 elements qi would b good as well. when the limb is good and flexible without warmups then you should've started taichi with long range of motion excercises and yogic breathing. aim to take fifteen minutes for the first quarter.

that, uh, cranes beak shears pretty nicely, eh?

been stretching ang working with kali sticks to keep it flowing and loose

don't know about any cranes beak , i would laugh in some ones face if they tried an animal pose on me , i tore it holding a guy in a head lock and sending elbows ar him =)