PDA

View Full Version : Highkicks vs. Lowkicks

PangQuan
03-23-2005, 04:43 PM
I know this has been discused here millions of times, but I thought I would bring it back to life.

We all love to be able to whip our legs and smack someone in the jaw and get a KO, but how often do any of you think you would actually try and attempt an above navel level kick in a street fight?

Personally I dont think I would ever try this, unless of course my opponent was completely dazed, im strictly a knees and hips kind of reallity kicker.

Who of you would intentionally go for the ol' boot to the head technique right off the bat?

SevenStar
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
you fight how you train. If you use them in sparring, chances are you would use them in a fight as well. In my last ring fight, I landed a roundhouse to the head. It was the only one I attempted, but I did it nontheless. Consequently, I'd have to say that I'd probably use one in a streetfight as well, given the opportunity.

PangQuan
03-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Nice, I like to watch TKD comps. I enjoy all the flashy kicks and lightning fast leg work. It always just sparks this question. :p

Did you get at KO on that roundhouse?

Fu-Pow
03-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Nice, I like to watch TKD comps. I enjoy all the flashy kicks and lightning fast leg work. It always just sparks this question. :p

I can often pull off a high round kick when sparring. I distract them with my hands and they don't even see it coming till its too late.

However, I might mention that I am usually a few inches taller then my opponents, very flexible and I can get my leg up there lightening fast.

I've seen fighters pull off high round kicks in K-1 also so I know it can be done in a full contact arena.

In general, I would recommend that you stick to the stuff you feel very confident with in competition and in the street. The time to "experiment" with stuff is when you are sparring your classmates. If you can't pull it off there then don't expect that it is going to somehow magically work against someone off the street.

Peace.

Jhapa
03-23-2005, 07:07 PM
which part of the foot do you guys hit when performing a round house kick.

SevenStar
03-23-2005, 07:39 PM
which part of the foot do you guys hit when performing a round house kick.

shin.

SevenStar
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM

No, unfortunately. It made him drop his hands - stunned him pretty nice, but no KO.

Starchaser107
03-23-2005, 07:44 PM
I would.
I would use whatever I could.

SimonM
03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
We all love to be able to whip our legs and smack someone in the jaw and get a KO, but how often do any of you think you would actually try and attempt an above navel level kick in a street fight?

It would depend on what pants I was wearing. :p

Oso
03-24-2005, 07:03 AM
if your style/system has both low and high kicks then the attack you use will depend upon the tactics you employ to open your opponents gates.

if your tactics (and of course, your opponents susceptability to those tactics) often open the high gates then you can attempt to attack there.

'attack low to hit high'
'attack high to hit low'
'attack left to hit right'
'attack right to hit left'

very much paraphrased :D

MasterKiller
03-24-2005, 07:52 AM
In my last ring fight, I landed a roundhouse to the head. Video?

hiashfijahlifhlskdnfkjds

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-24-2005, 07:58 AM
sometimes i consider the head too high for punching.

im about 90 percent body and legs.

red5angel
03-24-2005, 08:20 AM
how about a high kick that forces you to go low? :D

Capoeira has a kick I really like called mea lua or something like that. I know how to say it, just not how to pronounce it. It's the kick where you turn sort of at an angle to your opopnent like your going to spin or cartwheel past him. The trailing leg comes up to whip around about rib to chin height and you kep spinning hopefully, to face your oppnent. It's nice cause it's a powerful kick, something most people wouldn't expect and it gets you into another angle and travelling around your opponent.

Other then that its certainly a personal choice. I know a guy in TKD who can kick, with a lot of power, faster then I can punch! It's in his best interest to kick when he can cause it's his best weapon.

Oso
03-24-2005, 09:18 AM
"I know how to say it, just not how to pronounce it."

:confused: :p

red5angel
03-24-2005, 09:27 AM
LOL! I hadn't had my tea yet alright?! :mad: :D

MasterKiller
03-24-2005, 09:29 AM
It's the kick where you turn sort of at an angle to your opopnent like your going to spin or cartwheel past him. The trailing leg comes up to whip around about rib to chin height and you kep spinning hopefully, to face your oppnent. Sounds like a wheel kick, maybe. Do you connect with the heel or bottom of the foot?

red5angel
03-24-2005, 09:38 AM
go to this site: http://www.carfweb.net/capoeira/

enter the site - it requires flash, sorry. go to "movements" and "grading". Then look to the right under Amarelo there is the Meia Lua De Compasso. That's the kick. I'm not sure how much it resembles a wheel kick.

MasterKiller
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Yeah, that's just like a long-fist wheel kick, except we keep our head up and don't dip to the floor. But it's basically the same.

I TKO'd a classmate a few weeks ago with one to the jaw. It didn't knock him out, but he was done for the day. :-)

red5angel
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
I like it cause it's still a "high" kick but it also gets you out of the way.

SevenStar
03-24-2005, 11:34 AM
go to this site: http://www.carfweb.net/capoeira/

enter the site - it requires flash, sorry. go to "movements" and "grading". Then look to the right under Amarelo there is the Meia Lua De Compasso. That's the kick. I'm not sure how much it resembles a wheel kick.

that's a pretty nice site. I've been hit in the jaw with that one before...

SevenStar
03-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Video?

hiashfijahlifhlskdnfkjds

maybe. there is a guy who comes to the fights and makes dvds - I never got a copy though. If I can track him down, I'll get one and post that part.

red5angel
03-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah I like that site for trying to show people what I'm talking about and also to look at something at home when it just doesn't feel right. They do some things differently then I learn them but that's one of the great things about capoeira, you can sort of do your own thing with it anyway.