PDA

View Full Version : Great Mantis Masters you have trained with:

Blacktiger
03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Just share some of your experiences :)

oasis
03-23-2005, 06:19 PM
I was supposed to take tjmh seminars with sun de yao in new orleans last week but he caught the flu :(

however, i did have the privilege of learning from the late raymond ming loy (http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/leiming.htm) during my first experience in cma

Blacktiger
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Our Master is friends with Grand Master Liu Jing Ru- Liu He Tang Lang (six combination preying mantis and also vice president of the Beijing Bagua Association and Master of Cheng Shi Ba Gua Zhang.

We did some seminars with him last year. He was 80 or so and when he hit you with some of the applications it was like being hit with a hot knife, it was great.

The last year we had his number one disciple Master Han come out who was around 38 or 40 and man he was just full on, he was like stone. When he was showing us applications you could hell he had used it all in a real situation not just in forms.

Three Harmonies
03-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Blacktiger,
You are lucky indeed! I was ignorant to the fact that their was Liuhe in Australia!!?? That is great! Sounds like some great seminars and tacticians(?). I am also glad to hear that Liuhe is not quite as dead! This is a grave (sorry :p :o had too) concern of my teachers, and that is why he has really opened up over the years. If one does not share, the art dies. If the art dies, it is dead. Forever. Never to come back as it was. And frankly...that sucks fat donkey dong! :mad:
Do you guys have a website? Any vids you want to post? Are you a member of www.mantisquarterly.com ? If not you should be, we would welcome more perspectives from the Liuhe community! :)
I will post more on this thread later (GREAT topic Blacktiger) re: great teachers. I have had the fortune to train with many great people so I can offer small insights. I am not sure what kind of response you will get, since this has potential to be touchy! But I am game and will offer more. The wife is giving me nasty looks though, so I need to spend some "quality time."

Until Later,
Jake :D

Blacktiger
03-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey Jake

I can tell you right know that Liu He Mantis is alive and well in China and Melbourne Australia, its just concentrated in one area now really, our Sifu only told us the other day where but I cant remember. When our school goes on visits to China Grand Master Liu Jing Ru and Master Han take us round...So we are very lucky.

Our web site for you:

http://www.ziranmen.com/

As for vids and dvds etc. I know of a dvd that was made with Master Han after the last visit he made, its on its way out soon.

As for other things as I am a humble student you would need to talk with the Master of the school Master Liu De Ming - 5th generation holder of Liu He Zi Ran Men linage.

:D

18elders
03-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Just a long shot here but does your teacher know master Shi Chongyin of the Ma Pai Bagua system? He also taught at shaolin. He lives in Zhengzhou.

Three Harmonies
03-24-2005, 12:15 PM
So happy to hear that Liuhe is thriving! In your system you practice forms yes? Interesting...we study 9.
As promised I will share some of my experiences. First of all I have nothing bad to say about anyone, or I will not post it. This is not an attempt to critique, or tarnish anyone either. Please also realize some of these people I have trained with in a limited fashion (maybe some privates lessons, or a seminar or what not). No one needs to get their nickers in a bunch :) !

Mike Biggie (Qi Xing): One of the best when it comes to apps, and breaking down forms into realistic combat scenarios. Packs a whaloop!! Very powerful and fast. Also a great herbalist (his guys need great jow for a reason ;) ). One of the nicest I have met, with a no nonesense attitude when it comes to BS. He is without a doubt one of the most open, sharing individuals teaching. Few know he is also quite adept at Choy Li Fut (ask him to show you some apps from it! You will thank me later! :o .

Yang Shu Ton (Wu Tan): Always has a smile on his face, and willing to talk to anyone. One of Ohios hidden gems. Wide experience in many Mantis systems. As with all of Wu Tan he focuses on Baji, but his Mantis group is one of the biggest in the midwest. I only wish they spent more time on apps.

Sun De Yao (Hao Jia Meihua): One of the best Meihua players in North America right now! Heard he recently took up shop in Georgia which is great since their is no Mantis down yonder! Very fluid and fast player. I only wish I had more time to touch hands with him.

Jon Funk (Qixing): Another extremely open, and generous individual. Has some great fighters under him, and they incorporate a lot of ground techniques (he has Canadas #1 Jiujitsu champ training with him! Their movements seem a bit stiff, and discontinuos, but they make it work regardless of my opinion.

John Hum (Wutan): Great teacher in Ottawa, with some solid students. I have never learned Mantis directly under him, but his senior student Keith Weiner was my very first Mantis teacher. Keith taught me more than I can ever repay! Great folks. I learned Piqua (and got corrections with all sorts of stuff) with Hum Laoshi, and it was a wonderful week I spent with him and his guys.

Ilya Profatilov (Meihua & Liuhe): One of the foremost experts on the history of Tanglang, and he has some of the most powerful strikes I have felt! Few know of him in the Northeast, but he has a wealth of info and ability! Too bad he is so reserved and quiet with his teachings!

Steve Cottrell (Qixing): The yin to Ilyas yang when it comes to historian of Mantis. Steve has done more for the mantis community than anyone with the developement of Mantis Qaurterly (if you are not on board, you need to get on board), and the orchstration of the first ever Mantis Gathering next month in Ohio! This man is nothing but true heart. Oh, and did I mention he can kick some serious ass??!! His skills, and that of his students, are some of the best I have seen in the Qixing world.

Jim Smyer (Pong Lai): THE MOST HUMBLE Mantis player I have met yet! Claims he has very little skill, where this guy has been doing Mantis longer than many of us have been alive. Extremely fast, and conditioned! The best kung fu in Tennesee! He will be in Ohio to show his stuff with his teacher John Scolaro Laoshi! Yet another reason to visit Ohio.

Wang Rengang (Hao Jia Meihua): Very powerful and willing to share. His Mantis is strongly influenced by his Dacheng Chuan, which is his primary focus. One of the nicest guys out there.

James Guo: I have met Guo Laoshi many times, but never have seen his Mantis. His focus is Baji, and developing realistic weapon tourneys (which are a blast BTW). He introduced me to my teacher Hu Xi Lin a few years back. Great guy, and very skilled in combat!

Hu Xi Lin (Meihua & Liuhe): I do not care to come across like I am tooting my own horn, so I will leave it with this..... I train with him solely now, and became his disciple last year. That should tell you what I think of him and his skills. :cool:

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Lu Bu
03-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Well...personally, I haven't studied with too many teachers since I have been in the Chinese Martial Arts, but thankfully, I have been fortunate to have been exposed to some really great ones.

Jake Burroughs Laoshi- I have only been able to study with him briefly, but wow. He made quite an impression with me on a number of levels. A VERY talented, knowledgable, and skilled teacher. One of the few people I have ever met that I took an instant liking to. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to study with him again in the future. Anyone who has the chance to train with him...TAKE IT.

Shifu John Scolaro (technically, he's my Shiye)- Wow. I mean...wow. That was the first thing I can remember thinking when I saw him demonstrate a form (I believe it was a seminar waaaay back) for my gongfu brothers and sisters. I had NEVER seen anything like what he was doing. A big shift from...my previous mantis style, to be honest. I could only hope to be half as skilled as he, one day. I also hope to be able to train with him more frequently, in the future. Truly knows his applications, which was something I had not experienced up to that point in my martial arts training. He could answer every question I had.

Shiye Shr Zhengzhong- Having been impressed with Shifu Scolaro, I thought I had an idea of what to expect meeting this man, his teacher, but nope. I was completely blown away at his skill, knowledge, and sheer power. I really can't express with words how truly skilled he really is. Seeing him was to know what the title "Master" really meant. I can promise that I will train with him every chance I get, in the future. He has a ton of great stories about his teachers, other teachers, of course Praying Mantis, and more other styles than I have even heard of. I cannot suggest enough that anyone who gets the opportunity to train with him do so as strongly as I would like to. Truly a phenomenal man.

Shifu Jim Smyer- Last, but definitely not least, is my teacher. This man is the martial artist that I most respect. As Jake said, he is an extremely humble man, too much so (IMO),because he is really a spectularly talented martial artist. I would still be practicing Taekwondo, if it weren't for him! Very serious about knowing his stuff, faster than two of me, and quite well conditioned (I have a lump on my right forearm to prove it!). No matter where I go, or what I do in the future, I will always call him Shifu. Anyone who wants to study with a great teacher should seek this man out. I HIGHLY recommend him.

As I said, I have only had a few teachers since being exposed to CMA several years back, but I am very happy to have had quality over quantity. :D

grifter721
03-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Trained, adn still training with Master Philipman Chow, Student of WHF.
Grat teacher.

tanglang69
03-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi ya'll,

Let me see, when I was looking for a new mantis teacher I met Shifu Jim Smyer. He invited me to fly to Nashville to meet and train with him. Like everyone else has said, he is the most humble man I have ever met. He is strong, quick and well conditioned, my arms hurt just thinking about doing drills with him. He never toots his own horn. I'm 35 and my goal is to be at his skill level at his age.

Haven't had the pleasure of training with Shifu Scolaro or Master Shr Zheng Zhong yet, and I say yet, but I will in the near future.

Well, gotta run,

see ya. :D

Three Harmonies
03-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Lubu
Thanks for the kind words. You are in good hands with Smyer Laoshi. In all honesty if you were impressed with my basic sunderstanding, wait until you meet some of the greats out there!! Are you going to Ohio? If so make sure you attend Hu Laoshis seminar on Sunday, it will be great!
Jake

mantid1
03-25-2005, 08:25 AM
I first met Shifu Smyer 9 years ago. I have not had the pleaure to train with him since but I do remember that his technique was strong and precise, his spirit high and his movement was fluid and agile, like a cat. He had a very postitive attitude.

Its seems he has made the same impression on many people out there and is a strong leader in his current style.

I am glad to see he is still out there being a possitive example and great leader!

phoenixdog
03-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Master Shr Zheng Zhong and the Pong Lai instructors.What they teach is mantis as a martial art.Anyone is welcome if you show up with an empty cup.

Eddie
03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Anyone is welcome if you show up with an empty cup.

Cool, do they run a soup kitchen on the side? :)

Just kidding, couldnt resist - just in a good mood today :cool:

phoenixdog
03-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Indeed.Soup of the day is cicada.

seung ga faat
03-27-2005, 02:18 PM
I had no idea how much I would learn about the meaning of the title Sifu until I met Cheung Wah Sifu. His knowledge, skill and humanity continue to keep him as my only Sifu.
________
sixth-generation ford taurus specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Sixth-generation_Ford_Taurus)
________
Dc medical marijuana (http://dc.dispensaries.org/)

yu shan
03-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Art D`Agostino- my first tanglang Shifu. Really not enough time and space here to share all my experiences. A VERY intense man who is truly blessed with movement and God given talent. To this day I still try to emulate him. He also taught me lion dance.

Sean Cochran- had the great opportunity to train with this fantastic Shifu for a year or so. Shifu Cochran taught me alot of my more advanced WL forms. He was very open to teach me and just down right nice. His kung fu was very good, I was lucky to have had this short time with him. He to taught me lion dance.

Chan Pui- thanks to Art I was introduced to Master Chan. Master Chan taught Art and Sean. Too much to speak of here. I drove over to Orlando with my KF brother Steve Ottaviano for many many weekends. Master Chan worked with us and Tu helped out alot to. Numerous seminars with Chan Pui and privates lead me to be a better MA. I thank him for the travels and information.

John Scolaro- my current Shifu. He studied with Art and Chan Pui. Then moved to Taiwan to train with Shr Zhengzhong. He lived and trained there for 9 years. To see him move and to feel his wrath, second to none with intensity. To me the tiger woods of tanglang.

Kevin Brazier- my KF unkle, his Shifu was Art D`Agostino. Brazier Laoshi moved to Taiwan to train with Shr Zhengzhong well before my Shifu. Brazier Laoshi is a renowned MA Historian and knows his sh*t.

Ilya Profatilov- a powerhouse in our Mantis World. Only wish he would open up to the rest of the world. Profatilov has a fine tuned group who meet in a park to train. I got to experience this and will never forget it. I look forward to seeing and training again with this man, he is remarkable. Anyone in the NE, look him up!

Jake Burroughs- very cool dude. Burroughs Laoshi is an accomplished MA Shifu. For a tall guy... moves swift and smooth. I congratulate him for being chosen by Master Hu to be his Deciple. And thanks to Jake for introducing me to Hu Xi Lin.

Hu Xi Lin- Master Hu is one of the nicest men I have ever met. He really wants you to learn. He also is one of the few to open to Americans the opportunity to learn Six-Harmonies. If you ever have the chance to touch hands with Hu Laoshi....do it! Master Hu is a true treasure.

Shr Zhengzhong- mere words are hard to explain this man. He is a force in the Mantis World. He will be making more trips to the USA in the future, if you here of one, do yourself a favor and inquire. Doesnt get any better!

Blacktiger
03-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Just a long shot here but does your teacher know master Shi Chongyin of the Ma Pai Bagua system? He also taught at shaolin. He lives in Zhengzhou.

Im not sure I will try to find out for you :)

Blacktiger
03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
So happy to hear that Liuhe is thriving! In your system you practice forms yes? Interesting...we study 9.
As promised I will share some of my experiences. First of all I have nothing bad to say about anyone, or I will not post it. This is not an attempt to critique, or tarnish anyone either. Please also realize some of these people I have trained with in a limited fashion (maybe some privates lessons, or a seminar or what not). No one needs to get their nickers in a bunch :) !

Mike Biggie (Qi Xing): One of the best when it comes to apps, and breaking down forms into realistic combat scenarios. Packs a whaloop!! Very powerful and fast. Also a great herbalist (his guys need great jow for a reason ;) ). One of the nicest I have met, with a no nonesense attitude when it comes to BS. He is without a doubt one of the most open, sharing individuals teaching. Few know he is also quite adept at Choy Li Fut (ask him to show you some apps from it! You will thank me later! :o .

Yang Shu Ton (Wu Tan): Always has a smile on his face, and willing to talk to anyone. One of Ohios hidden gems. Wide experience in many Mantis systems. As with all of Wu Tan he focuses on Baji, but his Mantis group is one of the biggest in the midwest. I only wish they spent more time on apps.

Sun De Yao (Hao Jia Meihua): One of the best Meihua players in North America right now! Heard he recently took up shop in Georgia which is great since their is no Mantis down yonder! Very fluid and fast player. I only wish I had more time to touch hands with him.

Jon Funk (Qixing): Another extremely open, and generous individual. Has some great fighters under him, and they incorporate a lot of ground techniques (he has Canadas #1 Jiujitsu champ training with him! Their movements seem a bit stiff, and discontinuos, but they make it work regardless of my opinion.

John Hum (Wutan): Great teacher in Ottawa, with some solid students. I have never learned Mantis directly under him, but his senior student Keith Weiner was my very first Mantis teacher. Keith taught me more than I can ever repay! Great folks. I learned Piqua (and got corrections with all sorts of stuff) with Hum Laoshi, and it was a wonderful week I spent with him and his guys.

Ilya Profatilov (Meihua & Liuhe): One of the foremost experts on the history of Tanglang, and he has some of the most powerful strikes I have felt! Few know of him in the Northeast, but he has a wealth of info and ability! Too bad he is so reserved and quiet with his teachings!

Steve Cottrell (Qixing): The yin to Ilyas yang when it comes to historian of Mantis. Steve has done more for the mantis community than anyone with the developement of Mantis Qaurterly (if you are not on board, you need to get on board), and the orchstration of the first ever Mantis Gathering next month in Ohio! This man is nothing but true heart. Oh, and did I mention he can kick some serious ass??!! His skills, and that of his students, are some of the best I have seen in the Qixing world.

Jim Smyer (Pong Lai): THE MOST HUMBLE Mantis player I have met yet! Claims he has very little skill, where this guy has been doing Mantis longer than many of us have been alive. Extremely fast, and conditioned! The best kung fu in Tennesee! He will be in Ohio to show his stuff with his teacher John Scolaro Laoshi! Yet another reason to visit Ohio.

Wang Rengang (Hao Jia Meihua): Very powerful and willing to share. His Mantis is strongly influenced by his Dacheng Chuan, which is his primary focus. One of the nicest guys out there.

James Guo: I have met Guo Laoshi many times, but never have seen his Mantis. His focus is Baji, and developing realistic weapon tourneys (which are a blast BTW). He introduced me to my teacher Hu Xi Lin a few years back. Great guy, and very skilled in combat!

Hu Xi Lin (Meihua & Liuhe): I do not care to come across like I am tooting my own horn, so I will leave it with this..... I train with him solely now, and became his disciple last year. That should tell you what I think of him and his skills. :cool:

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Hi Jake

Yeah in relation to the forms with Liu He Mantis we do 7..But there may be a few more for the disciples etc.

Its amazing to see when the Grandmaster for this system(Liu Jing Ru) starts demonstrating all the applications. The one thing both Master Han and the Grandmaster kept hammering into us about the style was that its all Dan Tien Power. Once you get that down watch out :)