PDA

View Full Version : Mantis in Vancouver, Canada?

paradoxbox
03-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Hello, I'm looking for a good instructor of Northern Praying Mantis in the Vancouver area.

The only one I have found seems to be Jon Funk and there appears to be a lot of controversy surrounding him, I'm not quite sure I want to get involved with it.

Are there any others? I understand Praying Mantis was derived in the beginning from Shaolin fighting styles, are there any Shaolin kung fu instructors in Vancouver? I've found someone who teaches WuShu but I am not interested in that. I'm looking for a combat system.

Thank you!

AGH
03-24-2005, 07:20 AM
My teacher teaches a modern version of mantis, but he teaches application. Al Cheng teaches Praying mantis and was one of Jon Funk's teachers, his school is still around, not sure of all the details though.
If you want a combat system, come see me. I teach Hsing Yi, and Xiaoyao system and incorporate ground control, chin na, shuai jiao and sanshou among other things.

Three Harmonies
03-24-2005, 08:06 AM
AGH
May I inquire as to your lineage?

My teacher Hu Xi Lin lives and teaches out of Richmond, BC. If you are interested e-mail me and I can put you in touch. He teaches Meihua and Liuhe, and it is solely combat oriented. He is an expert in Shuai Chiao and Chin Na as well and integrates all these into one hell of a fighting system.
Jon Funk is not a bad guy, just has some different ideals than others I have met. I do not feel that their techniques have a flow to them, but I will tell you what, his students are some good fighters! Jon is a nice guy too. Check out his classes. He teaches in the heart of Vancouver, on the west side about two blocks from the ocean (sorry I cannot remember the street).
I have HEARD Al Cheng is no longer teaching openly, but I am not positive on this.
Also I believe Jack Wong teaches Taiji Tanglang out of the Surrey area (again not sure of his site or anything, but search Steve Cottrells database on www.authentickungfu.com for his link).

Hope this helps.
Jake Burroughs
Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
www.threeharmonies.com
three_harmonies@hotmail.com
505-385-2987

AGH
03-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Jake- You got the wrong guy. I am not looking for a teacher or a system. I am one of Master Liang's tudis and I specialize in Hsing Yi, Xiaoyao system and fighting. I have my own school in Kits. I was just trying to help out paradoxbox.

peace

Three Harmonies
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
AGH
Actually I just forgot to address the second part to Paradoxbox. Sorry.
You guys do Sun Xing Yi yes? I have heard many good things about your teacher, and certainly appreciate his books. Does he have any plans for more Shuai Chiao books/vids? Maybe we can hook up sometime yes?
Thanks
Jake :D

AGH
03-24-2005, 12:18 PM
We do primarily Hebei. My teacher did alot of travelling and training during the Cultural Revolution so there are things he has added to his training that isn't necessarily pure Hebei. He had 2 primary Hsing yi teachers, Jeng Hwai0Shyan and Wang Shuh-Tyan. He is working on other books, the next due out that I know of will be on Tui Shou, Push Hands. Meeting up would be good, if you are ever in Vancouver.

jwwmantis
03-24-2005, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=paradoxbox]Hello, I'm looking for a good instructor of Northern Praying Mantis in the Vancouver area.
The only one I have found seems to be Jon Funk and there appears to be a lot of controversy surrounding him, I'm not quite sure I want to get involved with it.

Although I am not a student at his school due to location, I have attended several of Sifu Funks seminars and found them to be of great value. As Jake stated, Sifu Funk is not a bad guy. I found him very helpful to my training. Our lineage trys to utilize more of the body power whereas some lineages rely a little more on the speed. Both are very beneficial however. Good luck with your search.

jwwmantis