PDA

View Full Version : Fasting/Detoxification

Din Gao
03-24-2005, 06:04 AM
Recently, I have thought about trying this and have read alot of background information online. Several of co-workers do it periodically but they are not nearly as active as I am. Does anybody have any first hand experience with fasting? What were the positive and negative effects you experienced? I supposed one would have to limit their training during that period

Ford Prefect
03-24-2005, 06:29 AM
I've read literature of some eastern block coaches making all their athletes fast regularly every month or two. I'm going to find web references to it because this actually came up last night in conversation. I've never done it or researched it in any great depth.

Din Gao
03-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Cool, thanks. I will post the links I have too later today. I can't imagine grappling during a fast though. I imagine could do some stand up work (sans the sparring).

Ford Prefect
03-24-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure they did only light cardio-type work while fasting.

Din Gao
03-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Here are some of the fasting links I found. Any insights would be appreciated.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy13.htm
http://www.medical-library.net/sites/framer.html?/sites/_juice_fasting.html
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/detoxcleansing/a/juice_fasting.htm

I don't know if I will do it, just because I am put off by all the religious connotations to alot of the sites about fasting. I am just looking for the best way to detox the body.

Theoderic
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Detoxing can usually be done over a weekend. There are several great natural supplements you can utilize during the process. I advise checking with your nearest local nutrition/health store. I have done a few detox sessions while doing light cardio to stimulate the sweat glands during the detox.

You will need to drink lots of water and other natural non-processed liquids during the session. BE WARNED!!! You will generate some VERY nasty smells!! So bad that it could kill small animals :eek:

They do offer supositories for detox. I advise against them and reccomend liquid forms that you drink.

You will want to leave at least 2 days of open time for the detox. It's a great time for self reflection and meditation too.

Raiyden
03-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi,

I fast often - twice a month. All of what I'm saying here is from personal experience or from what I've read. Here are a few tips -

1) If you plan to fast regularly make sure you do not skip meals between fasts.

2) My last meal has complex carbs in it - usually rice, bread, pasta. This gives me enough energy for the day I am fasting. Also try not to overeat before fast.

3) Try to ease yourself into fasting. Eat fruits (some docs recommend grapes for detox) and water, and in moderation. Also, easing into fasting helps you monitor whether you lose muscle mass when you fast - which probably means you're overdoing it.

4) Breath may smell. Use Mouthwash/ brush teeth.

5) Willpower has to be developed - so try to avoid smells of food, food ads on TV. In some schools of philosophy, they say learning to control the urge of food develops willpower against all other urges, leading to more self control.

6) Breathing exercises are excellent during a fast - in my case, they've helped quell hunger pangs, feelings of weakness and focus the mind. Meditation states are deeper (just my experience). I'm not 100% sure of this, but based on what I just mentioned internal energy training and stretching might be better at this time - but please ask a knowledgeable sifu/daoist/buddhist/yogi about this.

7) Breaking the fast is also important - Eat well but don't overeat or you'll get sick (personal experience :-)). I try to have some rice gruel/organic cereal, a glass of milk and some fruit.

I hope this helps - at least in getting the discussion going :-).

shaolinsoccer
03-25-2005, 05:49 AM
If you are going to detox over a weekend, start the fast at noon on a Friday. That way you eat lightly Fri a.m. You don't start out being hungry. End on a Mon at noon.

Din Gao
03-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I just got in from Easter with the folks so I will have to digest (sorry for the pun) on your comments.

Raiyden - I sent you a PM. Let me know how that goes.

GeneChing
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
From observing her in doing them, it can be quite an intense process. Your body burns through a lot of toxins, allegedly. It's not pretty. Uglier still is the fact that a good juice fast can be accompanied with a high coloinc to blow out those toxic mucoids. Now that's hardcore detoxification, in my mind. But there are plenty of resources on the fasting and like anything, start with baby steps...

IronFist
03-28-2005, 08:08 PM
How long did they fast for, Ford?

feral
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I usually do a 24 hour fast once a week as does my teacher. All I can say really is when you're done don't eat your whole days worth of food in that one sitting and make sure to drink water. gl