PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play? Spot the kung fu principles in kung fu movies?

Happeh
03-25-2005, 01:08 AM
You can learn a lot about kung fu from watching kung fu movies. Not kung fu moves like kicks and punches. You can learn about how to live your life using kung fu philosophy for everyday chores and stuff. You can learn about kung fu principles and all kinds of things from movies.

I was wondering if anyone wants to play, "Explain what kung fu principle this is and explain what is going on"?

The idea is to pick a scene from a kung fu movie. Maybe we could post a short video clip of the scene for everyone to look at. Then everyone guesses or gives their explanation of what they think is going on. Then after awhile, whoever posted the video clip says what they think is going on. We all compare and see if we can figure out why different people have different ideas.

Sound fun or entertaining? I got the idea after watching Kung Fu Hustle. There are a few things in there that I thought were interesting and would make people think. Matter of fact I can think of about 4 video clips that I thought were revealing of real life MA principles.

I am motivated because the new kung fu movies coming out are all special effects and wire work. I have visited lots of MA forums and about 80% of the people talk about how kung fu is all just junk from old stupid people in Asia that did not have technology. They think weightlifting and MMA and UFC fighting is the only real stuff. They site all these studies by scientists that "prove" kung fu is "imaginary" or "a waste of time". If we talk about how kung fu principles are based on real life ideas, then those people will be reassured that kung fu is for real, not just movie hokum.

Who wants to learn kung fu principles in a fun way? ;)

MasterKiller
03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Here's some clips to get you started:

http://www.shawscope.com/Digital%20Files.html

Happeh
03-27-2005, 04:04 AM
no takers huh?

No one likes to have fun? Where can I find the fun people? The interested, curious, adventurous, happy, inquisitive, friendly, sharing ones?

mickey
04-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi Happeh,

Just thought of one. From the Flying Guillotine movie that starred Chen Kuan Tai. The weapon was used to destroy its creator in the movie.

Moral: Never teach anything for which there is no counter.

mickey