PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Kung Fu brethren........

jojitsu27
06-22-2000, 04:02 AM
Hi,
My names Jojitsu, I am a wing chun sifu and practitioner of wing chun for 10 years, I also study brazilian jujitsu and have an amateur boxing record of 15-2.
Any Wing Chun guys on this forum?
Lets get some Wing Chun discussion going!
Whats your favorite technique from Wing Chun that you feel is most street effective?
I have personally used Biu Sau many times and find it a most excellent technique when it comes to simultaneous attack and defense.
I like to use it to parry and strike simultaneously while out zoning my opponent.
-jojitsu27

06-22-2000, 04:06 AM
Hey, Jojitsu!

I study pien san/gulao wing chun under Sifu Stanley Jue in Cambridge, Mass.

I don't know about the best technique for street fights, but lately I've been having great luck with a simple pak sao, elbow combination.

Welcome to the forum!

------------------
Peace.
Reverend Tim

HappyPuppyF
06-22-2000, 04:23 AM
I study Wing Chun (William Cheung's Lineage) under sifu Brian Lewadny.
I've also been doing some free-style wrestling, along with some greco-roman wrestling for the past 2 1/2 years.
I've never been in a street fight, but with the few sparring sessions I've had with some friends, I personally find that a
tan sau/fist combo works fine for me.
Welcome to the forum JJ27!

PS
I'm looking for a good BJJ or S h o o t o school (Prefferably s h o o t o)
If you know of any place the lists schools, please tell me of them.

------------------
GRRRRRRRRR
WOOF WOOF WOOF
RUFF RUFF RUFF
AWOOOOOOOOOOOO

Water Dragon
06-22-2000, 05:56 AM
Ha Haaa!!!
Did Tony Torres scare you off the other board.

Welcome to the forum Jo. Hey, there's some good people here with some good knowledge, but there's a WHOLE BUNCH of round eyed Chinese people too if you know what I mean. I'm sure I'll see ya around the boards. Late

------------------
Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Longquan
06-22-2000, 06:09 AM
What happened with the ninja and the barrel?
J/K

LEGEND
06-22-2000, 06:39 AM
I trained with SIFU Julian Sawyer...
I think wing chun and BJJ can go hand in hand...I have since made the switch to MUY THAI/BOXING...I no longer have WING CHUN assesible to my area...sucks!

El_CLap
06-22-2000, 06:39 AM
Hey! I study Wing Chun. I've studied under a few people. My current sifu is from the Wang Kiu lineage. The times I've used Wing Chun I've never needed anything more than a pak sau and then straight to the chain punch. Most people just aren't ready for it.

Sihing73
06-22-2000, 07:36 AM
Hello,

I study Wing Chun Oringinally under a student of Augustine Fong then Leung Tings people, did some time with Sifu Chung Kwok Chow and now train with someone of William Cheungs lineage. Over all I have found the methods to be pretty much the same with slight variations.

As the most effective technique in a street fight I would have to go with a Taun Da with either a slight sidestep or a slight forward step. Of course it all depends on what the opponent is giving me as there really is no "best" technique.

Oh, my best technique is walking away /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Peace,

Dave

jojitsu27
06-22-2000, 08:41 AM
Great, Wing Chun men of all lineages! We should have some good discussions!
BTW - I am under Jiu Wan lineage, my instructor being a disciple of Francis Fong AND his wing chun brother Jason Lau.

HappyPuppy: where do you live? Let me know and I will find out from some bjj friends what is in your area.

Sihing73: Great technique! We should all keep in mind that walking away is ALWAYS the first and best option!

Good to hear from you guys, keep Wing Chun based posts coming! Any training questions or questions on technique comparison from other Wing Chun lineages, I love that sort of stuff.

-jojitsu27

Longquan: LOL! The ninja from the ashidakim forum that was scheduled to fight me in the NHB matches in May backed out! I guess he was just pulling my chains all along! Oh, well, maybe someday I'll be able to fight a ninja master!!!LOL!! But look for me in competition soon, I have decided to really get in shape for the ring. I will let you know when I have any up and coming fights.

Water Dragon: Good to see you on another forum! Tony didn't scare me off, I just decided to expand my horizons alittle and check out the kung fu forums!

HappyPuppyF
06-22-2000, 09:14 AM
The Southern Alberta Region. Calgary, to be exact.
Chances are that I'll probably just keep the schools for references. I want to build a better foundation in my Wing Chun before I branch out.
I'm thinking that my wrestling is good enough for now.
The help is appreciated, though.
Thanks.

------------------
GRRRRRRRRR
WOOF WOOF WOOF
RUFF RUFF RUFF
AWOOOOOOOOOOOO

benny
06-22-2000, 09:24 AM
hi i do ving tsun (wc spelled different) from the Wong shun leung lineage,through Barry Lee i live in australia and my best technique is the punch.
i just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any good wing chun books, i have heaps but most are for people who have no idea.good to see a new face,lol.
the more you sweat in peace
the less you bleed in war

DragonzRage
06-22-2000, 09:41 AM
Hehe first me, then water dragon then you jo. Looks like I started a trend of migration from the JKD forum to here /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Max (the Dog)

06-22-2000, 04:59 PM
Benny,

If you don't have it already, Complete Wing Chun by Rene Ritchie and Robert Chu is a GREAT book. History and descriptions of all kinds of various wing chun flavors...lots of information on non-Yip Man lineages. Definitely worth buying.

------------------
Peace.
Reverend Tim

flavour54
06-22-2000, 08:12 PM
Hi Benny, I study the William Chueng lineage here in Australia and I must agree with the Reverend in book choice.

------------------
"take the pebble from my hand"

benny
06-22-2000, 08:19 PM
THANKS I ACTUALLY HAVE THAT BOOK I LIKE HOW IT SHOWS LOTS OF DIFFERENT LINEAGES OTHER THAN YIP MANS, RENE RICHIE ALSO HAS A GOOD BOOK ON YUEN KAY SAN I BOUGHT IT AND THERES SOME DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES WHICH IS ALWAYS GOOD TO CHECK OUT, IF ANYONE SEEN ANY BOOKS ON LINEAGES OTHER THAN YIP MANS PLEASE TELL ME
THANKS IN ADVANCE
THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE
THE LESS YOU BLEED IN WAR

Ma_Xu_Zha
06-22-2000, 08:21 PM
Welcome hope you have god discussions and no arguments but can find alot of useful information here.... my ving tsun/wing chun background- studyed with students of duncan Leung, Moy yat and Ip ching all are from Hong Kong, the students were american.

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
06-25-2000, 08:04 PM
Hey there,
I also practice wing chun, under Sifu Steve Cottrell in D/FW Texas. We're from the Yip man line. People here are pretty nice, so enjoy the forum!
Thanks!
Sandman[Wing Chun]

chung2
06-26-2000, 12:44 AM
Hello,

I study Wing Chun in Holland, Wang Kiu lineage, also one of Yip Man's students.

BTW, I also have that book "Complete Wing Chun", the only book that keeps me reading when I'm on the toilet-seat....

Sam
06-26-2000, 01:14 AM
I study Fut Sao Gu Yee Chuan Wing Chun Kuen under James Cama. This rare style as taught by Cama Sifu blends Internal and external training with Siu Batt Qua footworks and hands as well as Hei/Nei Gung out of Canton. www.buddhapalm.com (http://www.buddhapalm.com) Leave a message on the guest book and tell them Sam sent you.

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 06-26-2000).]

laughing tiger
06-26-2000, 02:58 AM
welcome! :-) I do not practice Wing Chun, however I meet with a group of friends who share info, and one guy studies Wing Chun. We all learn a lot from each other. Anyhoo, I enjoy learning more about Wing Chun, so please post often :-)

ATENG
06-26-2000, 01:20 PM
Hello,

I study Leung Ting's lineage of Wingtsun in CA, SF area.

------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then its just fun.

Buhma
06-26-2000, 11:31 PM
Greetings all, I am new to this forum, and an introduction here is as good as anyplace else.

I also study Wing Chun under Jerry McKinley from Wong Shun Leung lineage.

Anyone in the So California Area, you can contact me for a little sparring... I am always willing to learn /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sharky
06-27-2000, 03:53 AM
hi, my name's Ed and i'm an alcoholic... on no sorry...

Edd