PDA

View Full Version : making films

doug maverick
03-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey guys,

just wanted to get something off my chest! i just finished shooting my first feature i wrapped like two weeks ago, the film was called the "Steel Project" it was produced by my company M.A.T.E. inc(martial arts theater ensemble), the exec producer and project leader was david blanc. from day one there were so many proplems, and arguments between me and the producer, he also wrote the film. I tried to give him a great film but he fought me on it tooth and nail, not verbally but through action, i won't get into details but through all that i think i put togather one hell of a film, and when it's finished in june i think people will agree(by finished i mean edited and scored). word to the wise for all would be directors if your producer says his girlfriend is an acting coach and then she becomes a producer, run like hell.

Now i'm working on my second film called "THE HIT", and action drama about a hit man, who runs into a whole **** load of trouble when his boss finds out he sleeping with his sons wife, it's set to be shot in three short films that will be put togather to make a feature(ala john woo's bullet in the head, didn't find that out till recently that he did the same thing) it stars, chris notarile(also the co-director) as the main character bruce, i'm already forseeing proplems with this one, but it's production proplems, you see chris has know athletic ability what so ever, so when i tell dude you can't do this cause it looks like crap, he gets upset like i don't respect him, and i have to tell him that i don't film crap so if you can't do it it doesn't go in, but i found a way around that, in a little japanese actor named kon tanaka, i'm going to use him as the "weapon" in terms of he will be handling all the hand to hand stuff (and even some gun stuff) while chris will stick to just shooting, and brawler type like fighting(E.i. punches in the face, rushing enemies crap like that) one thing i'm happy about this project is that i'm producer and co exec with chris and we work very well togather, we always come up with some crazy ass ideas, anyway we are still looking for a fight crew and though i posted here a few times i haven't gotten any responses, don't pass this chance up if you live in nyc and want to be in a cool action film, email me! anyway glad to have got that off my chest later!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad
03-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Kick @ss. Make sure to post a trailer when you get one ready :D How did you get into directing? When you were going into college, did you just allready know you wanted to direct or did you take a more round about path? Just curious, because I'm trying to decide what to do. I know I want to be involved in film making, but not positive 100% how to go about it (looking at a school called Full Sail in Florida, and our local art school has a time based media studies program that teaches some film). Any suggestions on which schools are best or what to look for in a film program?

Kristoffer
03-29-2005, 12:44 AM
cool, if I was in NYC I'd look u up no doubt. I'm in a amature Kung fu Movie right now wich is in development. I love 'acting' :D

doug maverick
03-29-2005, 10:33 AM
my first two years of college, i studied behavior science, and theology( i wanted yo be in the FBI) then i transferred to SVA(school of visual arts) here in nyc one of the best schools in the country for film making, and probably the only school that actually prepares you for this cut throat buisness, if you want to be a director take film classes not a little bit, alot you'd be surprised how many people claim to be directors and can't even direct themselves. kristoffer, whats the name of the film your in! you guys can check out some stuff i did, i really don't show them because the edits suck(owe learn editing trust me, it's the greatest thing you can do) but here they are:

samurai:

http://blinky-productions.com/samurai.html

el guerrero:

http://clients.people-stories.com/

don't judge the work by what you see like i said the edits are a bit off, right we are re cutting the samurai film as well as putting in aditional footage, as for el guerrero i was just a fighter in that project(i'm the black guy with the hood).

though i'm know expert at filmmaking, i'll answer anyone questions(to the best of my abilities) about either film making, fight choreagraphy, or my company M.A.T.E. INC, so feel free to post here guys later!

Kristoffer
03-29-2005, 12:41 PM
I watched u'r movies, I like them. specially el guerrero. I can see the step from amature movie to proffessional wouldn't b that long.
The one I'm with right now hasn't got a final name yet. But I'm playing a yakuza gang boss (or something to that degree) who is looking for new recruits. I don't do much cept some fight scenes.
I've never been in a professional movie but I've been in tons of amature. I can name a few :)

Nightshift - I play a sleez ball who gets stabbed to death and then turned to zombie. this is a drama/comedy

Boris et Diego - I play a guy who has mental instabillitys, who snaps and kills my friend. it's a horror thing

hell I even played Bill Clinton in a movie called The Terrorist. Wich was made a few years before 9/11. this is an action/comedy. (I got the part coz I was the only white dude around)

it would b cool to work with professionals some day but it's not a path I've intended to go down. To make it as an actor is just way to hard for me to even consider. I'm interested in hearing how u'r company is structured. Do u get budgets for u'r work or do u sponsor it yourself?

norther practitioner
03-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Cool, my teacher has been in some ma picts.. He said it can be sort of weird creatively...

Good luck, and keep us updated.

doug maverick
04-08-2005, 10:46 AM
i just locked another location, so now all of our locations are pretty muched locked, when your a producer thats always one of your main concerns, locking locations and budget, i'm also the production manager, so i also have to keep the film on or under budget so it's hard work for me, write after i finish the hit, i'm doind a short film, featureing the fights from my companies play "White eyebrow and the destruction of shaolin", it's going to be cool, i'm setting it up like a tournament between two rival gangs, almost know dialogue, just action. i want to show my fight directing skills, ofcourse it's going to be online after i finish it so get ready for it guys! later

Kristoffer
04-09-2005, 06:38 AM
cool, lookin forward to see it

shaolinsoccer
04-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Just watched Samurai. I thought it had a new wave Zatoichi feel to it. Good job!

doug maverick
04-11-2005, 09:28 AM
we may do a sequel this summer. almost all the fight were done on the spot so it was kinda cool!

doug maverick
04-18-2005, 08:59 AM
i just shot moast of the hit, and i'm very dissapointed with my first day of shooting which was supposed to be a club scene, not nearly as much extras showed as were scheduled i had no fight crew, it was horrible so i'm reshooting the whole scene, so those of you who want to be in this film as a fight send me an email