PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Akhilleus!

Merryprankster
03-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Nobody is clicking on his thread so here.

Akhilleus fought an MT match this past Saturday. He lost, but got robbed in a judges decision. He looked in good shape, had a really sharp side kick, and blocked about 99% of the knees the other guy threw in the clinch (The judges obviously thought they landed....)

Good on him! I really thought he won his fight - I guess the judges felt differently....all he needs to do now is work on his curve knees and get better at clinch fighting and he'll be tough to beat.

norther practitioner
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Word, big up for steppin' up.

Pork Chop
03-28-2005, 11:21 PM
MerryP

I think it was all about the Thai "positional dominance" rules in the clinch.
Akhilleus's "head down" san shou clinch looked like he was losing the battle for head control. That's the only reason I can come up with for them counting those blocked knees higher than the clean punches and side knees that he was landing with impunity.

I don't know that Akhilleus'll wanna adopt the Thai clinch; coz I dunno that his priority will be Thai fights.

For me, on the other hand, the clinch has been one of the MANY areas I've had to work hard to convert my "style" in, now that I'm Thai fulltime with Khun Kao.

On a side note it was nice to have at least a partial VA/MD/DC get together before you take off. Oh yah, my gym's looking for someone to run a beginner's no-gi grappling class- gonna run the idea by Jeff R and a few others to see if maybe I can pass a contact list for some options to the club owners.

One last thing - did you teach Mike Easton how to dance? My gf thought he forgot his fight shorts. LOL

Akhilleus
03-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Wow...thank you for the great comments/advice MP...that means a lot coming from you...I'm definitely going to work on the things that you suggested...

BMore...It looks like my next fight will probably be muay thai...and if I can make that trip with Master Danny this summer I would focus on adapting my style to the muay thai format for the next several months...

Of course MMA has always been my ultimate goal...but I realize after this weekend that that will take me some time, so I'm not rushing it...I'm probably going to stick with muay thai for a little while...

Thanks NP, I was scared and almost wanted to p*nk out...but next time it will be much easier I believe...

Reggie1
03-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Congratulations, Akhilleus!

red5angel
03-29-2005, 08:51 AM
congrats man!

SevenStar
03-30-2005, 12:57 PM
good job, bud!

FatherDog
03-31-2005, 12:01 AM
MerryP

I think it was all about the Thai "positional dominance" rules in the clinch.
Akhilleus's "head down" san shou clinch looked like he was losing the battle for head control.

Wait, what? San Shou trains you to keep the head down in the clinch?

Starchaser107
03-31-2005, 01:55 AM
good job ak

Akhilleus
03-31-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks guys...

Wait, what? San Shou trains you to keep the head down in the clinch?

I know this question was for bmore, but I would like to comment on my technique...

I didn't want to put my head down, and in in retrospect I'm asking myself, "Self, what in God's name were you doing?"...I do know that when I last fought san shou, which was almost 2 years ago, there were no knees allowed so I hadn't trained as much for knees in the clinch as I should have...as MP said, this fight showed that I need to get better at the clinch...

I can say that I gave it 110% so there's no regrets there, but I definitely did make several technical errors...