PDA

View Full Version : Bridging?

red5angel
03-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Fa Jing mentioned bridging for back problems, and I've heard this elsewhere. I do some bridging for capoeira anyway but here's what I'm wondering. If I'm trying to work out some back regular back soreness, how often and how long should be bridging?

Ford Prefect
03-29-2005, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't do any neck bridging. Gymnastics bridges could work though. I'd initially aim 3:00 holds.

red5angel
03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
ok, shoot for 3 minutes. do you do more then on? I mean, I'm used to doing rep and set based exercises so I"m not sure how to go about this sort of thing.

fa_jing
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
You can do one set, you can do multiple sets. Just start doing it and you'll figure out how much you can take without detracting from whatever else it is you're doing.

By the way, I think the neck bridge is even better for upper back problems....but I don't ever try to touch my nose to the ground. I can't, actually. I just stay on my forehead and roll around a little, move my arms up and down etc.

red5angel
03-29-2005, 12:31 PM
It's pretty much just my lower back. There are a lot of bending at the waist moves in capoeria and it's been hitting me hard.

Rand
03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
red5angel,

I train with bridging on a regular basis. The first rule is to start out slow and work up in the duration of time that you hold the bridge. Make sure that you start with a good cushion or pad for your head. It is more difficult to attempt a 3 minute bridge when your head is hurting from contact with a hard floor. Remember that the goal is to strenghten your neck and back and not to toughen up your head! :)

I would start with a goal of 30 seconds. Attempt to get into a good bridge and hold the position. Concentrate on your breathing. Attempt to slow your breathing down and not think about time. You will be surprised about the lenght of time that you can hold the bridge if you focus on breathing.

After about a week of 30 seconds per day, bump the time to 45 or 60 seconds. Listen to your body and increase the time when you feel ready. Same with attempting to bridge back until your nose touches the ground. That takes several weeks for most people, but should remain a goal in your training.

I personally get great results doing only 3 minutes per day. BE SURE that you are able to do these type of exercises by talking to your doctor prior to incorporating them into your routinue.

I'm 43 years old and started serious bridging about three years ago. It has greatly reduced back and neck pains and has increased my functional strenght a great deal.

Best of luck and feel free to ask me any questions.

Sincerely,
Rand Cardwell

http://www.combatkyusho.com
http://www.tigerclaw.com

spiraler
03-29-2005, 12:50 PM
get a massage. that works better than any strenuous exercise to relieve tension.

spiraler
03-29-2005, 12:51 PM
also if you bend correctly at the knees and keep your back straight your back pain should also decrease.

_William_
03-29-2005, 02:02 PM
I find that wall walks for reps are helpful. They stretch out the abs too.

fa_jing
03-29-2005, 02:41 PM
also if you bend correctly at the knees and keep your back straight your back pain should also decrease.

He trains Capioeira. Lots of walkovers and such. Not "carry loaded wheelbarrow for distance" style. :D (j/k)

red5angel
03-29-2005, 02:44 PM
spiraler, it's not tension, it's something else, probably weak muscles since I don't normally do a whole lot with my back.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I should mentioned what I'm doing currently for capoeira.

I bridge to stretch before every class. It's not a wrestling bridge, on the head, but a gymnast bridge, on the hands since at this time it's actually harder for me.

I usually do it about 3-4 times, holding it for about 15 seconds each, occasionally longer but I'm not really keeping track so that's a guestimate.

During those bridges I push my chest up and out trying to arch more and I hold that for a few seconds.

Occasionally, about half the time I get into the bridge then gently rock back and forth as well to help loosen up the shoulders.

Right now I'm doing that about 3 times a week. This past saturday we did a bridge walk, like a crab walk, but you get into the bridge then walk the direction your head is facing. It's really hard and my back was pretty sore after that so I'll have to make sure I don't do it as long as I did then.

My plan is to stat bridging now with my daily stretches, most likely in the evening when my body is warmed up.