PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Wing Chun practitioners

cRoMiKaZiE
07-04-2000, 05:25 PM
Hey there!
I've only been practising wing chun for about four months and am on a school break so I can't ask my instructor the following.. thought u guys could help!
1. Do u always pivot on your HEEL when kicking etc?
2. What about grappling and joint locks!?! I know my school practices 4 styles, w.chun being the first but i'm not sure of the others; does w.chun incorporate these moves?

------------------
...It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees...

Sharky
07-04-2000, 05:53 PM
why do u need to pivot?

and good 2nd question

well theh first place (austin goh in london uk) did joint locks, but my last place didnt

wierd huh

soz, no time to chat

ed

Sihing73
07-04-2000, 10:20 PM
Hello cRoMiKaZiE,

In answer to the first question about pivoting on the heel when you kick: A lot will depend on which kick you are applying. Mostly though, Wing Chun allows you to kick without the need to pivot. You can do a front kick and a side kick without the pivot. Usually if you pivot it is just prior to the kick and not during the kick, as some may do. You can get a better idea from the Chum Kui and the movements in that form.

As to pivoting on the heel, there are many ways to perform the pivot and all have thier place. Normally, a lot of Wing Chun people will try to pivot and maintain their root on the middle or center of the foot. Some will pivot on the ball and some on the heel. The ball allows one to take a more aggtressive stance by allowing you to enter on your oppoenent while the heel allows you to maintain distance and is a bit "safer".

As to Joint Locks: Wing Chun has plenty of them. Again, look to the second form and you will find a couple in there, most noticeable in the section with the Taun/Tok Sau and the Pak Sau. (Different people refer to it in different ways but basically this is the section where you are slapping the arm of one hadn with the other.) Chi Sau is also rich in opportunities to apply joint locks and grappling as it trains one to deal with energy and developes sensitivity. If you look at the dummy form you will also find many keys to incorporating Joint Locks into your Wing Chun.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Peace,

Dave

Buhma
07-05-2000, 12:10 AM
When I spar, I don't tend to use many kicks that has me pivot before I do... seems a little to telegraphic for me. Besides, i like to close in quickly and actually take the person to the ground.

As for the locks ... I find WC grappling very useful and supplements my wrestling. As I said, when I spar, we go full force (except for throat shots) and even go to the ground. So the WC locks have helped alot with this. I even use some of the throws I've learned in WC... and after having taken Aikido, I must say WC throws are easier, quicker and more direct compared to some Aikido throws.

07-05-2000, 12:34 AM
Hey, Cromikaze!

In answer to your questions, in my school, we never pivot on the heel to do anything. Pretty much everything we do is done with the weight distributed equally across the whole foot, with most of the OOMPH in our movement coming from the hips.

And after Monday's class, I can say that I am very, very impressed with the throws my sifu demonstrated. I didn't know we had any, per se, but lo and behold, my sifu showed some very simple and very effective ones, which speaks to sticking around an art long enough to learn everything before you move on to something else. Before Monday, never heard of throws...now, I can safely say yes, we have them, and yes, they sure seem to be effective.

------------------
Peace.
Reverend Tim

cRoMiKaZiE
07-05-2000, 05:55 AM
Thanks to everyone that replied.
Its always helpful!!!
BUT....
1. When do u actually start being shown takedowns and grapples??? (Just speaking generally... as I know each school is different!)
2. What about pressure point stuff...?

Sihing73
07-05-2000, 10:22 AM
Hmm, an interesting question as to when to be shown takedowns and grapples. When I taught I would teach them around the time I taught the second form. You could learn them earlier but I liked to get a good foundation with the SNT first. Still, when showing applicaiton they would creep in from time to time /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As to pressure points, not sure when that gets taught. I have heard that some versions have it incorporated into the dummy form. There is a Wing Chun Sifu holding a Dim Mak seminar in early August in Long Island New York. He might be the one to ask about this area. His name is John Crescione, don't hold me to the spelling.

Peace,

Dave

jojitsu27
07-05-2000, 11:36 AM
Sihing73 said it all!!!
BTW-what lineage Wing Chun are you sihing73?
I am Jiu Wan lineage, studying for around 10 years now.
I recently have been getting into bjj to supplement my ground game, and find it fits in very nice with wing chun, since it is also very technical and doesn't rely on strength.
-jojitsu27

Sihing73
07-05-2000, 07:46 PM
jojitsu27,

Thanks for the kind words but I can not make claim to having "said it all" there is a lot more to say and a lot more for me to learn.

You asked about my lineage; most of my training was in Leung Tings system although prior to training with LT I trained with a student of Augustine Fong. Since leaving LT I have trained with a couple of others and now am training with a former student of William Cheung. I am trying to get a well rounded approach to the system. My initial goal in learning Wing Chun was to train under three people, Augustine Fong/Leung Ting/William Cheung. I have been successfull in training in all three lineages. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here is my lineage/list of instructors;

Sifu Roy Undem(Augustine Fong/Seattle)>Sifu Keith Kernsprecht(Leung Ting/Germany)>Sifu Allan Fong(Leung Ting/Staten Island, NY)>Sifu Chung Kwok Chow(Yip Man-Sifu Ng Wah Sum/Manhattan,NY)>currently under a stundet of William Cheung(Prefers not to advertise who he is sorry /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif)

Lest you think I just hop from one instructor to another the above instruction took place over a fair number of years and I achieved instructor status while training in WT under Leung Ting. I also had the opportunity to live in Sifu Allan Fongs house for almost 2 years as a membe of his family.

Peace,

Dave

cRoMiKaZiE
07-06-2000, 03:03 PM
Thanks heaps!!!
Especially Sihing73 your insight is greatly appreciated...
Im sure I will have more questions for u guys in the future!!

------------------
...It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees...

mantis boxer
07-07-2000, 04:19 AM
All traditional kung fu styles have 4 elements

Kick, Punch, chin na , takedown