PDA

View Full Version : new training ideas needed

Gangsterfist
03-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey everyone,

I am currently starting to get bored with my current training regime. I usually stretch for about 30 mins and really try to increase my flexibility. Then do various push ups, ab exercises, and other calestinics. I don't really lift weights but have a few weighted exercises a I do.

What are some good cardio, strength building exercises to do that you guys like? I am not looking to build mass, but to tone muscle, stay in shape, and get some cardio.

My off nights (where I don't do physical training) I do forms, dummy, stretches, etc.

fa_jing
03-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Got a solidly constructed dumbell that goes up to 40 pounds or more? Learn the 1-armed dumbell snatch. Alternate sets of 10 r/l with hill runs.

If you have a heavy bag, hit it.

SevenStar
03-29-2005, 11:43 AM
jump rope, shadowboxing, burpees, pistols, snatches, cleans, pullups - do you currently do these?

spiraler
03-29-2005, 11:43 AM
of course, i highly recommend a set of stance training.

ewallace
03-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Wrist-rollers are great. Great fun as well.

Reggie1
03-29-2005, 11:59 AM
You could always do a sprint workout.

When I do a sprint workout, it's usually:
20 yard sprints (2)
40 yard (2)
60 yard (2)
80 yard (1)
60 yard (1)
40 yard (1)
20 yard (1)

then two walking laps around the track and a lot of stretching.

ewallace
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Just curious, where do you train at Reggie?

stubbs
03-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Bag work
Divebombers
Handstand pushups
L-sit, V-sit, Planche sit on parrallette bars
Sandbag work
U could try making ur own atlas stones by covering a beach ball with plaster of paris (make it thick). Let it dry. Cut a hole then take the ball plastic out and then fill the mould with concrete. I'm going to do this when this poxy rain stops!
________
GAY ASS (http://www.****tube.com/categories/611/ass/videos/1)

Reggie1
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Just curious, where do you train at Reggie?

At Jeff Hughes' 7* school here in Austin. What about you?

EDIT: If you were talking about the sprint workout, I go to the local high school or a junior high close to where I work.

ewallace
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Cool. I seriously considered going there since I have always been intrigued by NPM. I heard good things about that school too. Just too much of a drive for me to make. Maybe if they'd put in that dam.n railway on the I35 cooridor I could.

I am currently training in Sitonmyaz. It's a self created style based on the many years of different arts I have trained in. :)

Really I am just waiting for Water Dragon to get off his ass and open up the Shuai Chaio/Muy Thai/San Shau school.

Reggie1
03-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Cool. I seriously considered going there since I have always been intrigued by NPM. I heard good things about that school too. Just too much of a drive for me to make. Maybe if they'd put in that dam.n railway on the I35 cooridor I could.

Yeah, it would be a bit much of a drive. That SA to Austin drive sucks during rush hour. But I love the school. I've been there for about six months and really enjoy it. If you ever want to come up and check it out, let me know.

I am currently training in Sitonmyaz. It's a self created style based on the many years of different arts I have trained in. :)

I used to be very good at that style. Now, besides 7*, I'm training in YesDear. Ever since I got married.

ewallace
03-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I may take you up on that offer pretty soon. I may have to go to guitar center again soon so maybe I can coordinate that with a day you guys train.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread. Sorry GF.

Gangsterfist
03-29-2005, 02:48 PM
I usually do pyramid push ups (where you start off with 1, then do 2, then do 3, then do 4, up to 10 or 15 then back down again. Resting only for 5 to 10 seconds between sets).

I do all kinds of ab work outs:

Crunches, side bends, bruce lees, rocky balboas (we have weird nick names for them I guess), all with different leg positions or while kicking.

I have a pull up bar on my door way and do pull ups

I do low stance foot work training. Not necassiry static stances, but dynamic. Low stances with movement to high stances and adding in hand and foot techs in the drill. Its cardio and isolated muscle work out at the same time. My quads still hurt from the work out I did on sunday with stance training.

I also made a wrist curl device. Took a 2 foot long wooden pole, drilled a hole in the center, and strung some rope through it. At the end of the rope are free weights, I do various wrist roll exercises with them.

fa_jing
03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
You could easily add these:

Handstand pushups against a wall

Your favorite bodyweight squat variation

pistols and airborne lunges.

Gangsterfist
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
I actually do hand stands for 60 seconds against the wall. Hand stand push ups are pretty hard and I only get a few off, and one time I fell and busted my head :mad:

What are pistols and airborne lunges? I am sure I have done them. My buddy runs a very physical work out in his class. His brother is a recon marine, so his work outs are traditional kung fu work outs with a marine PT flavor. Needless to say I never go from his class with full energy.

fa_jing
03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Pistols:
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler2.htm

fa_jing
03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
we discussed airborne lunges in this thread:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35812&page=2&highlight=airborne

Gangsterfist
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Pistols:
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler2.htm
Oh yes I have done those before, nice quad work out and it teaches balance. I used to have to do mine in a doorway when I first started due to lack of endurance and balance. Thanks for the info though, and I have not done those in a while, so I'll work them back in.

spiraler
03-30-2005, 01:05 PM
thats a martial exercise! its good to learn how to appreciate martial exercises. even bodybuilders are being brought to the light.

Gangsterfist
03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Here are some good old gung fu exercises I do:

Northern fists/southern legs.

Stand in a side nuetral stance, and punch out with your right hand. When you punch drop in a really low horse stance. You should not be much outside shoulder width with your feet (like 1 to 2 fists distance outside your shoulders). Tail bone is sinked and the spine is straight. Hold up your left hand in some sort of guard (pick your flavor of guarding hand). Hold the stance for a few seconds. Then slide the back foot (foot furthest from your punch) up into a smaller bow and arrow stance and punch with the left. Repeat over and over again. Do that for 30 minutes is a good work out. The lower u can keep your stances the better.

Snake creeping meadow/ hungry tiger

Drop down into a snake creeping meadow stance, hold it for a second, then shift all weight forward into a strong bow and arrow stance, and your hands now form tiger boxing techniques.

foot work exercise.

stand in a normal relaxed stance, drop into a low cross stance (knees almost touching the ground). With your front foot now rooted stand up straight and kick with your back foot, then step over with the opposite foot and repeat. Maintain a guard at all times, and switch your hands to coordinate with your feet.

Punching:

500 chain punches daily, if not more

Pivot punching

back fists (keep those tendons loose)

practice all elbow postures

Kicks:

500 kicks if not more

take a chair and circle kick over it, then crescent kick back over, repeat both sides

in a cat stance practice front, and side kicks with out rolling the hip over (compact the movement for effeciency)

If you got the room arial kick drop to sweep, jump up arial kick drop to sweep, repeat until tired.

A lot of this stuff I do, I would hardly use in real combat, I use this for training.

fa_jing
03-30-2005, 03:09 PM
those cross-step drills are killer.

Gangsterfist
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
those cross-step drills are killer.

LOL I know did tons of sets of those sunday during class, and my quads were really sore monday and a bit sore on tuesday.