PDA

View Full Version : Pezfu!!!

PangQuan
03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey, I just noticed its your day. Happy B Day man.

I also noticed you live in Portland. I live in Portland also. I study under Sifu Tran Duy Minh at the Chinese Kung Fu Assosiation. There is a Karate competition on May 6th, our school will be attending, and doing some forms and sparring. I dont know if sifu is going to have me compete or not. But Ill go anyhow at least to watch. Im not in the advanced class yet, so I doubt Ill be competing for him.

PezFu
03-30-2005, 04:11 PM
thanks for the birthday wish. nice to "meet" a fellow portlandian. i train at the Academy of Kung Fu on SE 21st and Powell under Sifu Kyle Alexander. i'm attending a tournament this weekend at Barringer's. should be a lot of fun. except they're not allowing strikes to the head. :( what type o' crap is that? at any rate, thanks and nice to meet you.

www.academyofkungfu.org

PangQuan
03-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Is this a Kung Fu comp? What is the entry fee for spectation. Are you going to compete?

PezFu
03-30-2005, 10:19 PM
it's a hapkido tournament. and i am competing. here's the site to get the low-down if'n ya care:

www.modernhapkido.com

Happeh
03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
I just had to look at this thread when I saw "PezFu".

Amusing name. :)

Chief Fox
03-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Not trying to bust on that school or anything but I went to their "Fight Club" page and they have very little experience and not many wins. http://www.modernhapkido.com/fighter.html

So it's like "Come train to fight at our school, we're inexperienced and we know how to loose!"

PangQuan
03-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Hmmm... It seems a little odd that a 35 year old Hapkido instructor would have only one bout under his belt. And that one a loss to boot.

PezFu
03-31-2005, 01:59 PM
the head instructor of the modern hapkido school, ken barringer, just fought in his first MMA on the 26th and lost by rear-naked choke in less than 2 minutes of the 1st round. i have to admit i was a bit surprised by the outcome but i don't know him in the least bit. he always seemed more skilled than that but as the saying goes, "looks can be deceiving."

i'm not advocating their training methods nor am i vouching for the experience or quality of their methods, i merely attend as many full-contact tournaments as i can (barringer's does quite a few every year) so i can slowly work my way up to doing the MMA thing. i'm doing the baby steps procedure. again, i, myself, train here:

www.academyofkungfu.org

at any rate, my intent with these posts wasn't to promote any particular school (except, obviously, where i train) nor put down any particular school. it was merely to respond to a birthday wish, potentially make a new friend in the realm of the martial arts and to explain the type of tournament i'm doing this saturday (the 2nd of april).

i do know that once i decide to really take the big plunge and step into the MMA world i'm gonna go here:

www.tqfc.com

these guys have the "skills to pay the bills", so to speak.

ciao...

PangQuan
03-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Im glad your not going to go to straight blast. :rolleyes:

Team Quest is good. My weekends are generally smash full of training, due to the whole having to work on weekday thing. But if I can I will try and make it to watch the fights. So this is taking place at their training area? What will the entry fee be if there is one for spectation?

Chief Fox
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Pez, sorry if it sounded like I was busting on you or you school. I wasn't. I just thought it was funny that the other school had a page dedicated to their loosing record.

Good luck at the tournament this weekend.