PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Kung Fu/MA

ewallace
03-31-2005, 09:13 AM
A remark in SPJ's thread influenced this one.

I am curious as to what others think about children in martial arts. To be more specific, what arts are more suitable for younger children.

For instance, many kung fu schools do not take children under a certain age.

TKD, if a good program for kids, can be fun and get them interested in MA. As well as a chance for us single dads to meet some hot soccer moms.(football moms to our overseas friends).

SevenStar
03-31-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't see a problem with kids in MA - I have recently began teaching my 6 year old muay thai. The church also wants me to do something there, but I don't really have the time. I think some arts may have principles that are too complex for a kid to grasp, like say - "internal" styles - overall, I dunno if a child would derive much benefit from that.

A buddy of mine recently got a gig teaching capoeira in a local school here.

MasterKiller
03-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Personally, I don't think kids should train until 11 or 12.

wdl
03-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Personally, I don't think kids should train until 11 or 12.

That's about right. My instructor has a 4-6 year old class and a 7-12 year old class. In the 7-12 year old class most of them aren't really dedicated until the 10-12 year old range. There are a few younger than that, but they are mature for their age. The 4-6 year old class gets them introduced and they have fun, but I've yet to see a child that young extremely devoted. You can't expect them to be, although I'm sure there has been some here and there.

-Will

ewallace
03-31-2005, 10:32 AM
wdl hit a good point. At least for my child, I want her to start with something that is fun since she is 4 now. I will probably have her in judo in a couple of years, and maybe boxing if I can find a good childrens' program. It's kinda tough though, because as much as I want her to have fun, she is already getting into situations at freakin daycare that I would like to resolve but my methods are generally fround upon by society in regards to adults and 4 and 5 year olds. At least she has good rock throwing skills, which we recently found out. :)

PangQuan
03-31-2005, 10:32 AM
I think its another case of individual circumstances. Some children are ready to learn at an earlier age than others.

wdl
03-31-2005, 10:39 AM
At least she has good rock throwing skills, which we recently found out. :)

Kids are adorable like that. :D

-Will

red5angel
03-31-2005, 10:46 AM
hey 7*, do you know if your buddy is affiliated with a particular group for his capoeira?

ewallace
That's a tough thing about being a parent. You have to sit them down and tell them that what they did was wrong, but inside your thinking "you should have picked up a bigger rock...but excellent work".

SevenStar
I think its another case of individual circumstances. Some children are ready to learn at an earlier age than others.

bingo. my son WANTS to train every day. he gets upset if I don't make it home in time to train with him. Last week, I called the house after class to check on everyone, and my wife told me that he was in the mirror shadowboxing on his own. He loves it. Without a doubt, not all kids are like that, so training young ones can be a problem.

MasterKiller
03-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I think there is a difference between showing a kid something to defend themselves, like a punch or throw, and putting them on a consistent training regiment.

SevenStar
03-31-2005, 10:49 AM
hey 7*, do you know if your buddy is affiliated with a particular group for his capoeira?

yeah, it's nacao. I'll ask him his maestre's name. I posted a link to one of their sites a while back, but since we had the forum move, you won't find it. I think it was www.capoeirartist.com

EDIT - that's the right url, but they it's undergoing a redesign or something, I guess. there is nothing there now, except an under construction splash page.

red5angel
03-31-2005, 10:51 AM
yeah, it's nacao. I'll ask him his maestre's name. I posted a link to one of their sites a while back, but since we had the forum move, you won't find it. I think it was www.capoeirartist.com

EDIT - that's the right url, but they it's undergoing a redesign or something, I guess. there is nothing there now, except an under construction splash page.

Thanks! I've heard the name just not real familiar with it. I bookmarked the page and I'll have to check it out once it's up!

SevenStar
03-31-2005, 10:54 AM
I think there is a difference between showing a kid something to defend themselves, like a punch or throw, and putting them on a consistent training regiment.

we are consistent. we train jthree days per week, at least. I don't want to overwhelm him, so we only work basics - jab, cross, hook, uppercut, defense and footwork. we start with calesthenics, move to footwork drills, then shadowboxing, defense and I let him hit the pads. We then stretch and call it a night.

Now, I don't believe in ranking kids that age. there is nothing I hate more than seeing 9 year old black belts. But, I am all for them training at that age.

ewallace
03-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Yep. Personally, I think it's great for young children to get involved in more sport-fun oriented programs. Maybe because I can relate. When I first played football (american football) in the "pee-wee" league, it was fun. Then it turned into wanting to win during middle school, and in high-school it was about wanting to be the best I could. But it all started out as fun, and no one forced me to do it.

SevenStar
03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks! I've heard the name just not real familiar with it. I bookmarked the page and I'll have to check it out once it's up!

http://www.ncapoeira.com/

this is the site of their group in NJ capoeirartist was much better than this one, however. There is also an angola maestre that teaches at our club - they alternate nights. I'm not sure who he's affiliated with. He moved here from brazil about 6 months ago.

red5angel
03-31-2005, 11:02 AM
awesome thanks! how do the angola and Nacao guys get along? (I can't tell but I have a feeling Nacao is Regional.....

SevenStar
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
http://www.capoeira.com/online/people/view.jsp?userName=rastad

this is the my friend - it's out of date though, as he is now a blue cord. Nacao is definitely regional. he and alex would avoid eachother at first. alex did NOT want to play with him. They have gotten used to eachother though, and they are cool now. They were both teaching the same class, then later decided to break it out, so that the students could have more total training time, as most of the students are training under both of them.

red5angel
03-31-2005, 11:09 AM
excellent, glad to hear they are getting along. Did they mix angola and reginal when they were teaching together?

SevenStar
03-31-2005, 11:17 AM
nah, they alternated - one this night, the other the next. the same thing they are doing now, but they added extra days to the schedule, so there's more time for each. they train 4-5 nights a week now.