PDA

View Full Version : OT: Automatice Garage doors?!

red5angel
03-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Anyone have any tricks for how to get one open without the opener itself?!

We parked the car in the garage last night, but left the door open to let it dry out because it was raining earlier in the day. The garage door opener, our only one, is in the car. This morning when we got up, the door was down!

There are no windows into the garage, and my landlord who has the other opener - maybe - is on vacation at the moment.

ewallace
03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
I would guess this is a detached garage?

joedoe
03-31-2005, 04:33 PM
LOL!!!!

I shouldn't laugh, but that is kinda funny.

There should be no way to open an automatic garage door without a remote control, since that would compromise its security. If you are inside, there is a way to disengage the motor and open it manually, but otherwise you are stuck.

ewallace
03-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Option 1: If possible, push the garage door in from around the top-middle. Try to find the weakest area that will create an opening. If there is an opening, you may be able to find the latch cord with your hand or possibly a wire or hanger. If you can locate and pull the latch cord you may be in business.

Last Resort:
DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AS IT MAY VIOLATE STATE LAWS

If the sides or back is made of wood, you could use a recipricating saw with a very long wood blade. Cut a hole big enough to slip thru, then after you get your car out replace the cut out and caulk it up and use some touch up paint to cover any cut marks or caulk (if necessary). Then deny everything if you are ever asked about the blemishes, or who told you how to do it.

:eek:

Fu-Pow
03-31-2005, 05:19 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

David Jamieson
03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
*sighs*

go and look at the cable that pulls the door up and down from teh chain drive of the motor.

you will see a locking bar.

pull it down to disengage the cable from the drive train.

open the door manually.

GeneChing
03-31-2005, 06:02 PM
A common way to break into garage doors is to use a small person who can open it from the inside, assuming what you are describing is a standard garage door. Most garage doors are only secured by a small latch near the bottom on either side, typically held by a simple spring-loaded latch. By carefully inserting a shim where that latch is, you can often open that latch - kind of like using a credit card to open a locked door like they used to do in old TV shows. Release that latch and a wood door is pliant enough to pry up with a crowbar, far enough for a small person to squeeze into, without damaging the door. It's a common method for breaking into a house, or at least it was 20 years ago, which is why many police will recommend pinning that latch shut. Many new doors have a failsafe to guard against this, but many old doors do not.

Actually, without seeing the door, this might be useless advice because I might have the wrong image of the door in my head. Let us know if you suceed.

joedoe
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
This isn't an April Fool's joke is it Red? :D

ewallace
03-31-2005, 07:27 PM
*sighs*

go and look at the cable that pulls the door up and down from teh chain drive of the motor.

you will see a locking bar.

pull it down to disengage the cable from the drive train.

open the door manually.
I do believe red's garage is a detached garage like you would find at an apartment complex (at least here in the states). There is no way in except for the opener (ie: no doors). Which is why what Gene suggested (and I thought about) might not work.

ewallace
03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
The funniest thing about this thread is that Gene will not allow outside advertising, but he will give criminal advice. I think I am going to go write a check to support this site.

Gene, you are a true leader!

red5angel
04-01-2005, 09:04 AM
LOL@ you guys.

Well here is/was the deal.

The garage is old and as Ewallace said, unattached to the house. Not only is it unattached to the house but it is buried in the side of a hill, so the only access is thorugh the garage door.
It's old, and the roof is rotting slightly so it leaks and the water tends to stick around and get moldy so we leave the door open more often then not so it stays dry.
We haven't closed it in a couple of weeks so the garage door opener stayed in the car, our landlord has the extra opener.
Two nights ago it rained so I pulled the car in the garage in case of hail, but left the door open, and the garage opener in the door. Somehow the garage door closed on it's own.
Fortunately, who ever put the garage door and opener in, had the foresight to pull the manual release cord through the door so it sticks out through a hole, all I had to do when I got home was pull the cord and it was all good.

It would have been a hell of a lot funnier if I weren't moving today and my wife hadn't screwed up her back badly last weekend. That means what's left of the packing has fallen on me.

red5angel
04-01-2005, 09:08 AM
You need a small expendable child

There's a small hole in one corner of the roof of the garage and my initial plan was too train a small monkey to go in and pull the manual release. I was tymied when I realized I didn't know where to get a small trainable monkey in a hurry.