mickey
03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Greetings,

This really has a beautiful look. Navigate thru media for the trailer:

http://www.sincitythemovie.com/#

mickey

PezFu
04-01-2005, 04:09 PM
just saw sin city. the verdict, in my opinion? FANTASTIC! i am biased, considering i have the graphic novels and frank miller is genius but truly, a great movie. the comic books come to life. superb action, over-the-top situations, even some wonderful sword play/martial arts done by a dish of a dame. even the little guy who played mr. frodo does some high flying, spin-kicking martial arts. you want great escapism? go see this movie.

p.s.-- whatever you do, DON'T analyze the reality of ANY of it, especially the martial arts. of course it's preposterous, that's the idea. it's a comic book. just take it all in and giggle like i did. makes one feel like a kid again.

oh yeah, and mickey rourke as marv is THE BEST reason to see this movie. i think the fans of the comics will agree...

PangQuan
04-01-2005, 04:14 PM
sweet, ima head down to the ol' lloyd center and check this one out tonight.

TangLangCh'uan
04-02-2005, 05:13 PM
yeah....i was totally speechless throughout the entire movie. it is the absolute BEST adaptation of any written work to screenplay that I've ever seen, even though i'm sure that three or four hundred wanna-be elves would argue that LOTR was the best. the dialog is almost word for f------ word from the graphic novels, and robert rodriguez's ability to recreate panels from the novels is absolutely amazing. i'm sure it had alot to do with the fact that frank miller worked on the film, and owns "SIN CITY" lock, stock, and barrel, but still.....wow. this one manages to pale every other comic book movie that has come out since the big comic movie boom hit. as impressed as i was with the spiderman films, i was still much more floored by SIN CITY.

-christopher-

BTW, mickey rourke was born to be marv.

wdl
04-02-2005, 11:34 PM
must go see this flick.

-Will

CaptinPickAxe
04-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm with everyone else on this one. Sin City is the best movie I've seen this year...and last year for that matter. The visuals will leave you speechless, the dialog is wonderful, and the stories are top of the line. I've never read the Graphic Novels, but belive me, I'm going to pick them up today.

My favorite stories have to be a tie between Hartigan and Dwight. Marv's story was very, very entertaining and almost as good as the other two, but didn't have the pizzazz of Dwights, and the meaning of Hartigan's.

all around I give this movie, 5 out of 5 fists and two feet on top of that. I'm going to see it again tonight.

littlelaugh
04-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Sin City is a visually stunning movie. There were many close ups and it seemed as though the director wanted you to feel things in a personal way. Or perhaps this stems from its comic book origins? Somehow the black and whiteness of the movie made for more light in many of the shots or perhaps it's just more emphasis on certain parts of the shot, especially when the blood was white.

The story lines were well paced, comical and passionate. Marv being my favorite. It was also satisfying in that the story came full circle in away though still disconnected in time somewhat.

I tend to really like dark, visually compelling, escapist movies so this fit the bill for me although at times I was a little thrown off by the comedy and violence together. Having said that, I also felt that this movie was so far removed from reality that it did affect me the same way as say a Tarantino movie usually does.

Cheers,

Laugh

Oh and for the guys, there were lots of boob and thong shots ;)

Samurai Jack
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
It's funny, the only critisizm I heard about the film from the film critics was that they seemed to think there was "too much nudity." WTF is wrong with people?
Even now no one is mentioning the gratuitous murder and graphicly revolting torture of many, many characters.

Sex is oh-so-taboo in our society that a little T&A warrants a "serious mention" from Roger Ebert. He goes on to applaude the film's many good points as did the other two critics I read. I read all the great reviews here too but nobody thinks to mention the ripping off of peoples testicles with thier bare hands (you actually see the handful being ripped out of a guys body) and dismembering and slowly beheading people while feeding thier limbs to animals and forcing them to watch.

The story, acting, and style of the film would have been brilliant and stunning if it hadn't been so difficult to sit through the mutilations and torture, which occured about every five minutes or so. The casual handling of such topics as cannibalism, murder, rape and child molestation was beyond disgusting.

Two thumbs down and I want my money back. This thing should've been rated X or at least NC-17 along with a disclaimer detailing what sort of graphic images the viewer is in for.

Shaolinlueb
04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
i jsut got to say wow. nothing wrong with a little titty action here and there. what i liked was all the violence and the way the story was told.
i mean the diolaague was good, the acting was great and the way it as told was the icing on the cake. the camera angles and everything else.

the story was a weaker part, but everything put together made it strong and wondering what the hell is going on and kept you on edge of seat.

and jessica alba looked hooot in this movie.

Chang Style Novice
04-03-2005, 11:48 PM
"True to the spirit of the original" is not a compliment when the original is an empty exercise in style and sadism.

Mo Lung
04-04-2005, 12:42 AM
"True to the spirit of the original" is not a compliment when the original is an empty exercise in style and sadism.Not a Sin City fan then? Not a comic I've read, but I've just heard about the movie from this thread. I'll have to go see it now - anything that polarizes people this much has to be worth a look!

Brad
04-04-2005, 09:30 AM
I was pretty shocked that this thing wasn't rated NC17 considering some of the other movies that have gotten that rating. Personally, if I was a parent, I'd be more concerned with my kid seeing people getting eaten, tortured, desmembered, etc. If this thing was in color, there's no way I would've been able to sit through it :eek: Over all though, the movie was masterfully shot and very true to the original comic (though I liked the movie better... exotic dancer Jesica Alba!!!! :eek: She manages to keep mostly dressed for the movie, but still :eek: ). The over the top nature of the entire film helped keep me from being too disgusted with the graphic violence... Overall, I think it was an amazing film. Defenitely right on that edge of complete tastelessness that will defenitely put some people off. And the ratings people defenitely dropped the ball on giving this thing only and R rating.

@PLUGO
04-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Quite the flick...

I suspect the lack of color allowed the creators get away with alot more violence than they would've had the film been shot "naturalistly." I don't quite recall which DVD it was that mentioned this but the comentary said something to the effect that they would've gotten an NC-17 ratting if they has used full color saturation for blood, So in order to get the movie rated "R" they desaturated all blood scenes making them "grayer."

Yes the rating system is certanly wacked out.

As for the film... it was practically shot scene for scene from the comic. The Dialogue's pretty much the same dialogue, the comics where prettymuch the storyboards.

I have to applaud Frank Miller's success in this light. I personally lost interest in the comic series early on but it obviously has its audience. Seems to me plenty of people will start hunting down the comics. You really can help but stumble accross the huge stack of 'em at any comics shop you walk into. I don't quite see that as a bad thing.

Chang Style Novice
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Mo Lung - I love the art, Frank Miller draws brilliantly. Can't write a lick, though.

MasterKiller
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Quite the flick...

I suspect the lack of color allowed the creators get away with alot more violence than they would've had the film been shot "naturalistly." I don't quite recall which DVD it was that mentioned this but the comentary said something to the effect that they would've gotten an NC-17 ratting if they has used full color saturation for blood, So in order to get the movie rated "R" they desaturated all blood scenes making them "grayer."
Kill Bill Vol. 1. The tea house fight. In the American version it's B&W. In the Japanese it's color.

red5angel
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I saw it last night and have to say it was fukking awesome! It was even better then I had imagined it would be!

Vash
04-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Basin City is not a good place to live. Or die.

Though not my favorite non-superhero mag, Sin City definetly makes a body pay attention.

Vash
04-04-2005, 10:48 PM
And speaking of sodomite cannabals . . .

I'd love (or hate, I'm not sure) to see a Preacher movie.

The Saint of Killers v God - that would make a fukcing scene.

Judge Pen
04-05-2005, 06:14 AM
And speaking of sodomite cannabals . . .

I'd love (or hate, I'm not sure) to see a Preacher movie.

The Saint of Killers v God - that would make a fukcing scene.

Preacher came out in my comic book geek days. I have the first 10 issues somewhere, but it didn't really do it for me. I've read Sin City before and liked it, but I still haven't gotten to the movies to see that yet.

tug
04-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Anybody notice the "guest director" credit for Tarantino?

(f@cker can't keep his mitts outta anything!!)

--Great film, great story, amazing acting, best visuals to date, the absolute best translation from comic to screen. Even if you have never read a comic book in your life, this one's a pre-classic.

@PLUGO
04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Anybody notice the "guest director" credit for Tarantino?

(f@cker can't keep his mitts outta anything!!)

--Great film, great story, amazing acting, best visuals to date, the absolute best translation from comic to screen. Even if you have never read a comic book in your life, this one's a pre-classic.

Well Robert Rodriguez & Quentine are old buddies... the question is can anyone name what scene he directed?

A PREACHER flick has bounced around Hollywood for a few years now. Originall BEN AFFLICK was cast as the lead (this was around the time of his role in DOGMA) and most recently James Marsden (Cyclops of the X-men) has been mentioned for the lead role.

Judge Pen
04-07-2005, 06:44 AM
I was pretty shocked that this thing wasn't rated NC17 considering some of the other movies that have gotten that rating. Personally, if I was a parent, I'd be more concerned with my kid seeing people getting eaten, tortured, desmembered, etc. If this thing was in color, there's no way I would've been able to sit through it :eek: Over all though, the movie was masterfully shot and very true to the original comic (though I liked the movie better... exotic dancer Jesica Alba!!!! :eek: She manages to keep mostly dressed for the movie, but still :eek: ). The over the top nature of the entire film helped keep me from being too disgusted with the graphic violence... Overall, I think it was an amazing film. Defenitely right on that edge of complete tastelessness that will defenitely put some people off. And the ratings people defenitely dropped the ball on giving this thing only and R rating.

I finally saw Sin City last night. . . . I liked it but I wasn't blown away by it. It was campy, tasteless, disturbing, funny, and brutal. Some wonderful images and characters. . . . I can't really place my finger on the problem, but I think it must be the source material. I usually don't mind style over substance when it's done as well as this, but some of the motivations and plot points seemed too convenient even for a pseudo-noir type story. I'll need to watch it again.

Oh, I would have connected to Alba's character more if she had shown more skin. Seriously, I'm not just being a h0rny fan-boy here. The sad thing about her character, and that story, is her loss of innocence, and having her dance, but fully clothed, cut against that. Imagine Hartigan's pain to see the skinny little Nancy dancing topless for all those sweaty brutes? This is what he failed to save. . . . In the film, the same motivation is there, but it's diluted.

Marv was the best thing about the film. And Frodo was creepy.

red5angel
04-07-2005, 07:20 AM
I was shocked it wasn't NC17 as well however I think I figured out how they got to an R rating instead. First of all most of the blood is white, not red, which is apparently an issue they consider. Second, there's not a whole lot of real harsh language to be honest. My guess is they cut used both of those to get a better rating.

Went and saw it again last night! It gave me time to focus on the small things, some of the one liners I missed the fist time, or how the shots were setup to resemble the actual frames in some of the comics - I was informed that there quite a few shots straight out of the comics by my brother in law who is a huge Frank Miller/Sin City fan.

Marv is still the best character in the movie.

I agree with you Judge Pen, not only because I'm a ***** man, because who doesn't want to see her junk, but it just seemed sort of wierd that with all the nudity and partial nudity involved, the one stripper int he movie never flashed any real skin.

Vash
04-07-2005, 08:49 AM
I've actually got a Saturday off this week - I'm going to see it, alone :(

However, I will be hitting on this cute girl that works the concession stand, see if she'll watch it with me.

red5angel
04-07-2005, 08:59 AM
actually I sort of enjoy going to movies alone from time to time.

Judge Pen
04-07-2005, 08:59 AM
I do too. If you take the wrong person to a movie, they can ruin an otherwise great movie for you.

@PLUGO
04-07-2005, 10:59 AM
for some comparisons of the Movie to Film compsitions (http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html)

doug maverick
04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
it was pretty good it just felt long and drawn out! the film it self was what i expected! the one thing i hated was the long ass inner monoloques! but the film would'nt have been as good without them!!!!! man they had so many stars in that flick!!!!!!!!!!

Judge Pen
04-07-2005, 11:41 AM
for some comparisons of the Movie to Film compsitions (http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html)

I think I was a bit expecting some of the original comic art to be presented in the film as well. I think some leaked footage at some comics convention had the art interspersed with the film and i thought that was effective, but they really didn't do that much in the film.

@PLUGO
04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
it was pretty good it just felt long and drawn out! the film it self was what i expected! the one thing i hated was the long ass inner monoloques! but the film would'nt have been as good without them!!!!! man they had so many stars in that flick!!!!!!!!!!

Those looong ass inner monologues where a major aspect of the comic. Much of it was lifted line for line in the film. Expectable when FRANK MILLER is writer/director.

I was continually impressed by the casting. Just found out that the film was shot at Robert Rodrigez's ranch... green screen of course. He quite the film director's union so he could CO-Direct the film with Miller.

Anyone recognise Quinten's piece?

The comic art was used in the opening sequence & I lived how it was presented
"Mikey Rourke as MARV" (then a drawing of MARV as he appears in the comic). It just read to me as an acknowlagment of these actors representing 2D fictional characters.

Judge Pen
04-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Didn't QT direct the scene where Dwight is talking to the head of the dead cop in the car?

And the campy voice-over is a kickback to all the old Mickey Spilane noir films.

tug
04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=Design Sifu]Well Robert Rodriguez & Quentine are old buddies... the question is can anyone name what scene he directed?

Yes, the scene in the car with Dwight hallucinating and talking to the recently deceased character played by Del Toro.

mickey
04-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Greetings,

I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. I feel if they were going to go this far they should have gone all the way and made a NC-17 movie. I think they would have made the rating a respectable one, unlike Showgirls.

Mickey Rourke was fantastic as Marv. I could almost see the comic frames freezing every move (and pretty much through the whole movie); especially the scenes where he took his meds and the pills are just splashing all over the place.

Overall, one great ensemble movie.

mickey