PDA

View Full Version : Escrima and Wing chun?

amjg2000
04-01-2005, 06:00 PM
How many of you out there dabble with Escrima as well as wing chun? I've been training with sticks for a bit now, after having a few years of W.C. under my belt. I've found that the sticks are great for building attributes, specifically reaction times and angling.

I train Serrada style, which is an infighting style, so it seems to compliment wing chun well. One thing I noticed is that the footwork is very similiar.

Sihing73
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Hello,

I also practice Pekiti Tirisia although WC is my primary focus. While doing WT we also trained in Latosa Escrima as well. There are a variety of benefits which can come from exploring the FMA's.

If you do Serrada then you may be familiar with Mark Wiley who not only does Serrada but also WC, if memory serves.

Both systems do have some similar footwork as the triangle is one of the shapes used for reference.

Peace,

Dave

amjg2000
04-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Yes, I've heard of Mr. Wiley. In fact, I am currently studying with one of Sultan Uddin's students. So, same Serrada lineage.

Yes, I am just starting the footwork and I do see a lot of commonality between the WC footwork and the sticks footwork. I am curious to learn more about the footwork, since I've read about the male and female triangle concepts. In many ways, WC has this concept as well *the female triangle concept*, we often talk about it in terms of flanking or facing the opponent thru one's center line vs their central line.

In the few months that I've been doing sticks, Its really improved my wing chun. There's nothing like working sticks, it really builds your sense of timing, distance, and awareness on an entirely different level. Besides, you have to have pretty **** good footwork with sticks, otherwise you are gonna get blasted.

russellsherry
04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
hi guys , i train in both wing chun and arnis . under david foggie , whom is the top student of guro roland dantes ,in australia although i am just at begainer level at arnis, i think apart from wing chun it is one of the most practial arts peace russellsherry

neit
04-10-2005, 12:35 AM
i could see single-baston stickfighting being a very good addition to systems that do not have a short single weapon in their curriculum(like most wing chun). a little change from the double knives.