PDA

View Full Version : So I'm hunting mice in my living room with a BB gun today

Royal Dragon
04-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Caught the little *******s in my easter basket!!

rogue
04-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Hold on everybody this could be one wild ride.

joedoe
04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
I am waiting for a reference to an ex-girlfriend or their current boyfriend

norther practitioner
04-03-2005, 09:12 PM
dude, clean up, and get some traps....

Chang Style Novice
04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Traps are good, this is better. (http://www.americanratterrier.com/immediate.html#Texas)

Royal Dragon
04-03-2005, 10:22 PM
GOT ONE!!!

Sniped the little ******* as he entered an almost empty jar of peanutbutter I layed on the floor! Of course I shot the jar too but...

I think I will only pump it up 1 time from now on, 12 was a bit over kill I think.

The gun was rated at 880 fps at 8 pumps, I'm sure 12 is over 1000 fps.

As for traps, no good. I did that and got all the adults already. What is left are juviniles that are too light to spring the traps.

I actually caught three of them by hand, and I am holding them prisinor in a 10 gallon tank we normally use to hold food for my daughter's snake. They are too small to feed off though, I got's to grow em a bit before they will be a good meal!!

:D

Royal Dragon
04-03-2005, 10:23 PM
I am also befreinding some of the local alley cats. When they are comfortable, I'll let them in to hunt too!!

wdl
04-04-2005, 12:05 AM
You MIGHT be a redneck(or Texan) if.....

Awesome dude! Atleast you don't have squirrels in your house. They make a BIG mess. I've heard several horror stories about them. One where it go so bad they tried shooting them with .22s. Apparently they didn't die right away and went ape **** all over the place and left blood all over the curtins, etc.

-Will

Starchaser107
04-04-2005, 12:49 AM
my friend
how can i put this gently

you have officially...(as they say ) "Lost It"

do not pass go
do not collect 200 dollars

lock yourself away now
and stay away from children and small animals.

Royal Dragon
04-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Speaking of squirrles, I befreind them in the spring, and they come into my house every year to be hand fed while I watch TV. then they go back outside to scamper around free. They are the best pets in the world, as they totally care for themselves!.

wdl
04-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Speaking of squirrles, I befreind them in the spring, and they come into my house every year to be hand fed while I watch TV. then they go back outside to scamper around free. They are the best pets in the world, as they totally care for themselves!.

One of these days a rabid one is going to come and visit you. :D

-Will

SevenStar
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
holy freaking crap... RD, you've reached a new high!

wdl
04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Note to self, avoid Downers Grove next time I'm in the Chicago area. haha j/k

Your starting to remind me of the rednecks in Southern Illinois. I've got a friend that lives inbetween Paducah KY and Carbondale IL.(for you party animals in IL you probably know about Carbondale and SIU). So I drive out there from redneckville East Tennessee expecting rural Illinois. What I found were more rednecks there than here. Technically that's yankee teritory also, it's across the Ohio. We went to a local joint to have a few beers and I swear, I saw more mullets and wet hair gel there than I ever did when I lived in Alabama.

Woohooo! I'll be in Carbondale this Friday to PARTY! :D

-Will

norther practitioner
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Until you realise:
1. It is not good for the "wildlife"

2. They are ****ting in you house...

Fu-Pow
04-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Something tells me you will be reincarnated as a mouse!!

Oh yeah....and get some professional help. :eek:

Royal Dragon
04-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Until you realise:
1. It is not good for the "wildlife"

2. They are ****ting in you house...

Reply]
Actually, they really don't. Now a Puppy one the other hand, now you talking MESS!!

Also, since we tore down the wild, built lots of buildings, and then paved and sidewalked the rest to death, mowed out and all but exticted the natural and widely diverse fauna for a single solitary plant (grass) solely becasue we like to walk on it when we have unnaturally cut it shorter than God designed it to grow, there really ain't no wild for the life anymore anyway.

tigerharimau
04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I have serious issues. Now for once I feel like I 'm at home... with the other mental inmates. Thank you Royal Dragon.

Royal Dragon
04-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Your welcome!! :D

SifuAbel
04-05-2005, 12:14 AM
GOT ONE!!!

Sniped the little ******* as he entered an almost empty jar of peanutbutter I layed on the floor! Of course I shot the jar too but...

I think I will only pump it up 1 time from now on, 12 was a bit over kill I think.

ROFL!!! LMAO!!! Choking on my own saliva..............

Dude, the little ones need glue traps. A large glue trap will get at least 8.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-05-2005, 12:21 AM
theres also those boxes you can get that only let them get in and not out.

i have 5 cats, two dogs, and a snake so i should never have to worry about mice.

ewallace
04-05-2005, 05:49 AM
You MIGHT be a redneck(or Texan) if...
I resent that remark.

We would have used a 12 gauge with birdshot.

ewallace
04-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Why do I feel a Royal Dragon "So I met my most reacent Ex's new mouse last night" thread coming on, and the mouse ends up owning RD.

wdl
04-05-2005, 12:05 PM
I resent that remark.

We would have used a 12 gauge with birdshot.

LOL or worse. Texas is the "big" state. It's one of the reasons why I like it. Everything is gone about in a big fashion.

-Will

ewallace
04-05-2005, 01:06 PM
LOL or worse. Texas is the "big" state. It's one of the reasons why I like it. Everything is gone about in a big fashion.
I hear that all the time from the wimmins.

Roll Back
04-05-2005, 01:19 PM
GOT ONE!!!

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer."

- Major Holdridge, 1994

Gangsterfist
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
You haven't tried the beer in the bucket trick? Mice like beer and if you put a bucket full of it out and way they can get it but not out you will catch all the mice.

Then you can discard them how you please, and if you kill them at least they'll be drunk so they won't care.

ewallace
04-06-2005, 06:02 AM
You haven't tried the beer in the bucket trick? Mice like beer and if you put a bucket full of it out and way they can get it but not out you will catch all the mice.

Then you can discard them how you please, and if you kill them at least they'll be drunk so they won't care.
If you ever waste beer like that I will hunt you down and drown you in wine coolers. :)

Gangsterfist
04-06-2005, 07:21 AM
If you ever waste beer like that I will hunt you down and drown you in wine coolers. :)

I am not saying like poor a bunch of guiness in there, I would beat someone up for that. I am saying fill it with crap you wouldn't drink like natty light or something else nasty.

PHILBERT
04-06-2005, 07:44 AM
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/mousetrap.html

ewallace
04-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I am not saying like poor a bunch of guiness in there, I would beat someone up for that. I am saying fill it with crap you wouldn't drink like natty light or something else nasty.
If you ever have a rat problem let me know and I'll send you some Lonestar Light.

Gangsterfist
04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
ewallace-

I was in dallas/forthworth a few years back and heard that they had this generic beer in a white can just labled beer. No brand name or anything, it was just called beer. It was like $1.25 for a 6 pack of beer. So I bought a six back, and managed to drink one, and got a head ache, then went back to drinking my bass and tully.

That stuff was extremely nasty.

ewallace
04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
ewallace-

I was in dallas/forthworth a few years back and heard that they had this generic beer in a white can just labled beer. No brand name or anything, it was just called beer. It was like $1.25 for a 6 pack of beer. So I bought a six back, and managed to drink one, and got a head ache, then went back to drinking my bass and tully.

That stuff was extremely nasty.
That sucks.

But it can go both ways. A buddy of mine from chicago was down here a few months ago. He went into a gas station and bought a case of beer. He gets back in my truck and says "man...beer is expensive down here". Then he opened the case and there were 24 24oz beers in there. He said "no wonder, they don't sell these in chicago". We had a good time afterwards. :)

ewallace
04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Good side dish too. :D

red5angel
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM
mmm Bass..........

Lonestar, no matter how many times Texans claim it isn't, is the most vile concoction this side of pig spit.

Royal Dragon I CHALLENGE YOU!!!!!

I challenge to post once about martial arts and not talk about girls or some other bizarre experience you're having. I"m just curious if A - you can post about martial arts and B - if you can post about something other then yourself.
If you can, I'll buy you a case of Lonestar.

ewallace
04-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Lonestar, no matter how many times Texans claim it isn't, is the most vile concoction this side of pig spit.
Old Milwaukee Light is right there with Lonestar. If you lose your bet with the Mouse Killer just send a self-addressed stamped envelope with a money order for $30 and I'll send you the case of Lonestar. That's $10 for the case, $10 for the shipping, and $10 for the mental anguish of being seen buying Lonestar beer.

red5angel
04-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Old Milwaukee Light is right there with Lonestar. If you lose your bet with the Mouse Killer just send a self-addressed stamped envelope with a money order for $30 and I'll send you the case of Lonestar. That's $10 for the case, $10 for the shipping, and $10 for the mental anguish of being seen buying Lonestar beer.

I agree OM is disgusting too. But it turns out most american beers, atleast the big ones are disgusting. Of course to be fair I'm not a big fan of pilsners from anywhere but american beer is mostly crap. however, there are quite a few microbrews that aren't too bad. Some of the local brewery/resteraunts do a good Indian Pale.

norther practitioner
04-06-2005, 10:28 PM
IPAs, in my opinion, usually ruin themselves because brewers think that bitterer is betterer... which, in my opinion, isn't what makes and IPA good.

Gangsterfist
04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
I am Irish/German/Nativeamerican. Drinking is in my DNA, and you could say I have been known to toss back a few every now and then.

To me all beer is drinkable, but I definately have preferences.

Bass, Guiness, Harps, Pilsner Urquell, Chimay, etc etc.

I also drink high life and PBR when I am broke.

Don't get me started on the whiskeys....

Also, I can't believe no one posted this yet. Royal Dragon, why don't you just pick up one of these?

http://www.areyougame.com/images/items/HB4657.jpg

SevenStar
04-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm not a drinker - what's an IPA?

red5angel
04-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Indian Pale Ale sevie, my favorite.

You can have different variations of bitter in an IPA NP. The thing that makes a good IPA to me is the balance between the initial sweetness and the bitterness afterwards. If they aren't balanced then the bitterness comes off horribly. There's a place in St. Paul a groupd of freinds and I go to to brew our beer every couple of months and their IPA recipe is **** near perfect for a medium bitter.

wdl
04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Porter and Stout for me, preferably Imperial Stout.

There is some good microbrew around East Tennessee, but the really good stuff is up in Penn and New Jersey. **** good microbrew up there, granted it can be expensive to drink.

-Will

ewallace
04-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Austin Texas has some pretty good microbrew, as chang style novice and myself have had conversations about in the past. There is also shiner bock, which has become more mainstream here in texas, but is a must try for all visitors.

Reggie1
04-07-2005, 09:05 AM

Any Texan that tries to say Lone Star is good beer isn't really a Texan. All of us know it for exactly what it is. Cheap horse pizz. And good for drinking when either:
A. You are broke.
B. You are extremely broke.
C. You are extremely broke, drunk, and there's nothing else available.

One of the local bars when I was in college used to have a Wednesday special--Lone Star longnecks for 75 cents. We would go get a pitcher or two of Shiner Bock to warm up and kill the taste buds, and then switch to the Lone Star. It still sucked, but for less than a buck a beer it was almost worth it.

Reggie1
04-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Austin Texas has some pretty good microbrew, as chang style novice and myself have had conversations about in the past. There is also shiner bock, which has become more mainstream here in texas, but is a must try for all visitors.

Mmmmm, Bitter End...

wdl
04-07-2005, 09:07 AM

Shiner Bock is very common here as well. Almost any beer bar has it on tap and every Walmart carries here.

I've yet to go in search of microbrew in Texas, I've heard of good brew in Austin as well. Most of the time when I'm out to Round Rock I'm busy helping my grandfather and I can't get away to hunt beer down.

-Will

red5angel
04-07-2005, 09:11 AM
the only good thing about Texas and beer is it's cheap and you can buy it just about anywhere. I remember I bought 6 1$ Mickey's 40 ounce bottles from a gas station outside of houston when I was there.

Reggie1
04-07-2005, 09:14 AM
the only good thing about Texas and beer is it's cheap and you can buy it just about anywhere. I remember I bought 6 1$ Mickey's 40 ounce bottles from a gas station outside of houston when I was there.

You really haven't experienced Texas beer, then. There's lots of really good microbrew here, and Shiner rocks. But then again, you're the one buying 40 oz. Mickey's, so that probably says volumes about your taste in beer. ;)

wdl
04-07-2005, 09:18 AM
While we are on the beer subject, and I'm sure a boxer would want us to honor her memory by discussing beer....

I'm going to Souther Illinois this weekend, and the brewpub in Carbondale I usually hit up is closed now from what I understand(the pub isn't, but the brewery is). Where I'm going is about half way inbetween Carbondale and Paducah, KY. I know there is a brewpub in Paducah, has anyone been there, is it any good? Are there any other beer recommendations for the regions?

-Will

red5angel
04-07-2005, 09:18 AM
You really haven't experienced Texas beer, then. There's lots of really good microbrew here, and Shiner rocks. But then again, you're the one buying 40 oz. Mickey's, so that probably says volumes about your taste in beer. ;)

The Mickey's was because 1 - it was 1$ and 2 - it was that, lonestar or a couple of other crappy American Pilsners. That night was about getting drunk if you know what I mean.

As for not knowing beer in texas, I spent plenty of time drinking beer in Texas and I try the local brews whenever possible - explains why I even bothered to try lonestar :P and I stick with my earlier comment. you guys do a mean steak and potatoes but I'll stick to Bass when I'm there :D

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Well, I can'tfind any more mice to shoot, I think I got them all. As a back up, I put down glue traps too, but I haven't caught any in them.

I think the problem is solved!!

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh, I love the direction this thread derailed too!

wdl
04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Oh, I love the direction this thread derailed too!

Yeah, but what do you expect? A frat house style thread about shooting mice with a BB gun is going to lead to BEER everytime!

-Will

Gangsterfist
04-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I live in kansas city, we have a nice micro brew called Boullevard.

They are only served in like 12 states or something like that. Its pretty **** good beer, I like their unfiltered wheat, their stout, and their seasonal irish ale.

http://www.blvdbeer.com/

If you are ever in the KC area you can tour their brewery and even sample beer.

wdl
04-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Gangster, cool thanks. The friend I'm going to visit has been to KC before and talked about some of the microbrew, I'll ask him if he's been there.

-Will

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Lol!!

----------------------------------

SevenStar
04-07-2005, 10:24 AM
are you gonna meet up with your boy toy this weekend, since he didn't show last week?

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 10:38 AM
First, this reply is to another silly thread I started, as a moderator, I think you should be able to repy in the corect thread. This threads is about beer, and shooting mice.

But, to be gracious, she's comming back Friday fom vacation, and promised to set it up for me this comming weekend. :eek: :D

Chang Style Novice
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
What to drink (beerwise) in Texas

http://www.saintarnold.com/

http://realalebrewing.com/

The Bitter End is good, too! Nice call. I usually hang out at the B-Side when I'm in there. I'm at the Draughthaus (on Medical Parkway) a lot more often though.

-N-
04-07-2005, 11:09 AM
So I'm hunting mice in my living room with a BB gun todayI've done that too. Except it was in the kitchen with a pellet gun.

The mouse story...

In college I had 3 female roomates and we lived in a roach infested rat trap apartment. The place was full of mice, and we'd trap about 2 or 3 every week. Being the one guy, I was the designated mouse disposal person. Also, being a guy, I had to find a way to have some fun at the same time. So I usually put the dead mice into old fast food containers, pizza boxes, chinese take-out cartons, etc. and I'd toss them over the balcony into the adjacent park for the bums ^h^h^h^h unfortunate homeless individuals.

One night, during finals week, all my roomates start whining and whimpering... "There's a mouse in the kitchen!", "Ewwwww! I hear a mouse trying to get through the wall!", "I smell mouse! It's yucky!", "I'm scared! Get the mouse!"

I'm all, "Come on. It's only a mouse. Just go study!" Of course that doesn't work, and I have to go on a mouse hunt in order to get some peace and quiet in the apartment.

So I get my butt off the raggedy couch and go to the kitchen. I turn on the lights, and all the roaches scuttle off to their hiding places and a mouse zips off across the counter and down inside one of the burner openings on the electric stove.

Ok, I figure I'll roast his ass and I'll be done. I turn on the burners and wait for him to come running out from the stove. And I wait... and I wait... Nothing. No flaming mouse, no mouse screams. Just tiny little mouse sounds from inside the stove.

Ok, I know how I'll get him. I pull the stove out from the cabinet so I can see wtf. I find the fiberglass insulation around the oven is full of mouse tunnels. Apparently, not only does the mouse hide out in the stove. It lives inside the oven insulation with the rest of its mouse family!

Now my roomates are all freaked out, and nobody is getting any studying done. I finally realize what I have to do. I turn off the kitchen lights, tell the roomates to stfu, leave the stove hanging halfway out from the cabinets, and wait there in the dark with a pellet gun. Sooner or later, Mickey would get curious, and I'd snipe him when he poked his head out to take a look.

Later was 20 minutes. I hear some scratching noises. And in the dark, I barely can see him peeking out to check if it was safe. I give him some time to get confident, and finally I have a clean shot. BLAP! on the side of the head. He does a little dance, and keels over. Now I can put the stove back and tell the roomates to stop freaking out so we can finish studying.

I think this one went over the balcony inside a McDonalds bag :)

p.s. I don't recall any beers involved.

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
LOL!! Mine didn't do anything. an 8 pump BB gun, pumped up 12 times sent the bb right through him clean. He was dead instantly. One second he was sniffing the peanut butter jar, next split second he dropped like a rag doll, and that was that....except the peanut butter jar shattered. I probably shouldn't have used a glass one ehy?

-N-
04-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah, pellet gun isn't an instant kill.

Now Ruger MkII (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=174&return=Y) , AimPoint (http://www.aimpoint.com/) electronic sight, home built silencer (http://www.atf.treas.gov/) .... :)

Reggie1
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Stop trying to put the thread back on topic, you two!

The Bitter End is good, too! Nice call. I usually hang out at the B-Side when I'm in there. I'm at the Draughthaus (on Medical Parkway) a lot more often though.

On Medical in San Antonio, right? I think I've been there once.

We used to go to the Bitter End here in Austin quite a bit--my brother was buddies w/ the brewmaster. Gingerman a lot, too.

Reggie1
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah, pellet gun isn't an instant kill.

Now Ruger MkII (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=174&return=Y) , AimPoint (http://www.aimpoint.com/) electronic sight, home built silencer (http://www.atf.treas.gov/) .... :)

You can get rat shot in .22 long rifle, too. It's like having your own mini-shotgun. We used to kill squirrels in the attic with a Ruger .22 rifle and rat shot.

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 11:40 AM
:d

--------------------------------------------

Ming Yue
04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Dogfish Head (http://www.dogfish.com/beer/raisondetre.cfm) is deeelicious.

ewallace
04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
There is also the Drinkery on Babcock. A guy was shot and killed in the parking lot last may so I tend to stay away from that place. That is more of a reg. bar though.

Gangsterfist
04-07-2005, 01:09 PM
last summer there is this bar down the street from me called the newsroom, and a newly engaged couple got shot up in the parking lot over a car jacking. The girl actually took a shot in the head and managed to walk back into the bar and scream a lot. I was not there that night. They both ended up dying and the 17year olds (2 of them) and killed them and stole their car are getting tried as an adult.

Then again I think that congress just passed, or is looking into a bill that does not allow the US government to execute minors? Is that correct? So, they should just get life in prision.

I walk to all the bars I go to b/c I live in westport (there are like literally tons of bars within a few blocks of my house in every direction) so I don't have to worry about a car jacking, and I have only been mugged once.

ewallace
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Then again I think that congress just passed, or is looking into a bill that does not allow the US government to execute minors? Is that correct? So, they should just get life in prision.
Not sure about that if they are 17 and tried as adults. Judge Pen may know something about this though.

On a thread related incident, I clubbed an apossom to death last year in my backyard. I had let my old dog out, and she was about to tear it apart. I didn't know what it was since it was pitch black. I had a large thick tree branch that I used for moving around charcoals with me, and when I walked up the little s.o.b. started hissing at me. I didn't know if he had rabbies (i found out later that they can't carry rabbies), but I knew if I didn't take care of him my dog would have ripped him apart. He was not playing when I was done though. Physically impossible. I won't go into details, but it was messy. Hunting without having to travel kicks arse.

Killed a rattle snack on my parents front porch with a shovel last year too. God bless texas wildlife.

Chang Style Novice
04-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Reggie -

No, Medical Pkwy here in Austin. It runs between 38th and 45th and at 45th St. turns into Burnet. The Draught House (sorry for misspelling it earlier) is at about 40th St. It's very near the Central Market HEB on Lamar, if that helps.

Saturday afternoons=free bratwurst!

Reggie1
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Reggie -

No, Medical Pkwy here in Austin. It runs between 38th and 45th and at 45th St. turns into Burnet. The Draught House (sorry for misspelling it earlier) is at about 40th St. It's very near the Central Market HEB on Lamar, if that helps.

Saturday afternoons=free bratwurst!

Cool--I'll have to go check it out sometime. I'm a South Austin (even worse, a Buda) guy so I don't make it up past 6th too much.

red5angel
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
are you gonna meet up with your boy toy this weekend, since he didn't show last week?

fukk off Seven, this is one goddammed thread that shouldn't involve RD's love life!!!! :mad:

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 06:43 PM
THANK YOU!

Like I said before, this thread is about shooting mice, and BEER!!

Chang Style Novice
04-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Like I said before, this thread is about shooting mice, and BEER!!Ever see the movie "Sweet and Lowdown"? It's a fairly recent Woody Allen movie, which already tells you it's not one of his best. Anyway, it's about a jazz guitarist in the 30s, maybe even 40s. He's a genius, one of the greatest musicians in the world, but extremely self-destructive and a real obnoxious loser. The reason I bring it up is that when he's really trying to romance a girl, his idea of the perfect date is to go down to the dump and shoot the rats.

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh my GOD, I almost spit my Lemonaid all over the keyboard!!

We are NOT talking about my Love life in this THREAD!!

That's what the OTHER threads are for!!

rogue
04-08-2005, 06:51 AM
You really do have to stand back in awe at the power of Royal Dragon's life and how it can draw anyone who even looks it's way into it. Sex, wrestling, bb guns and rodents. Those things only come together in RD's life and a certain out of the way dark alley in the bad part of Tijuana.

Whoa! This is just too close. (http://www.peta.org/news/NewsItem.asp?id=5275)

Home > Media Center > News Releases >
PETA SENDS SAFE, HUMANE TRAP TO CONFLUENCE MAN WHO SHOT HIS GIRLFRIEND WHILE AIMING AT A MOUSE

For Immediate Release:
November 1, 2004

Bob Chorush 757-622-7382

Last week, PETA shipped a humane mousetrap to Confluence resident Donald Rugg, who reportedly shot and wounded his girlfriend last week with a .22-caliber bullet that he intended for a mouse. According to news reports, Cathy Jo Harris, 38, was listed in fair condition at Somerset Hospital after being struck in the arm by Rugg’s errant fire. In a letter accompanying the humane trap, PETA points out that besides being dangerous, shooting at mice who inadvertently take up residence in human homes is not a very effective or kind way to control them.

Mice are nature’s clean-up crews, getting by on scraps. The best way to keep them out of our homes is to eliminate all sources of food by keeping counters clean and garbage pails covered. PETA also offered Rugg tips on how to discourage mice from entering his house in the first place. In the meantime, the group is urging him to lay down his weapon and use PETA’s popular (and more sensible) alternative—a safe, clean, humane trap—to catch the mouse and release the animal back into the great outdoors.

"Mr. Rugg’s aim and judgment are both pretty iffy," says PETA Special Project Coordinator Bob Chorush. "The fact is, even if he had succeeded in shooting the mouse, more mice would have moved in as long as conditions remained hospitable—keeping his girlfriend in a perpetual state of peril."

PETA’s letter to Donald Rugg follows.

Donald Rugg
133 Chicken Bone Rd.
Confluence, PA 15424

Dear Mr. Rugg:

I am writing on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and our 800,000 members and supporters to offer you the enclosed humane mousetrap in the hope that your recent experience may have led you to look for a humane alternative to shooting mice. We would also like to offer our best wishes for a speedy recovery for your injured friend Cathy Jo Harris.

There are many ways to reduce conflicts with mice without harming them. There can be legitimate concerns about sanitation and disease when there is a population of mice in a person’s house, but this only happens when there are food sources left around that attract them.

The easiest way to eliminate conflicts with mice is to keep counter surfaces, floors, and cabinets free of crumbs or food droppings. Garbage should be stored in rodent-proof containers with tight-fitting lids. Any other sources of food, such as birdfeeders, compost piles, pet food, garden seed, or fertilizers, should also be maintained in such a way as to restrict access by rodents.

Sealing off any crevices or holes that mice might use to get into your house will help, too. Broken windows, doors, cracks in walls or foundations, or broken sewers can all allow rodents access to your home—and it’s hard to blame them for trying to get food and shelter. These areas should be sealed with weather-stripping or a commercial foam sealant.

If you still find that you have mice in your home, it’s time to humanely trap them and relocate them. Snap traps, glue traps, and poisons all lead to intense suffering as animals caught in them struggle to free themselves or suffer a slow death by poison. Mice who have been poisoned remain a danger to companion or wild animals who might eat them. And as you know, trying to shoot them is not the best alternative either.

Mice are extremely efficient at cleaning up waste left by other animals—they perform a valuable role in nature in this regard, and they don’t understand that they’re not appreciated in our homes. I hope that you will agree that each creature on Earth deserves to be spared suffering, especially when there are easy ways that it can be avoided.

Good luck humanely relocating your mouse to an uninhabited area. If you would like more information about our programs or assistance with wildlife issues, please feel free to contact me at 757-622-7382.

Sincerely,

Bob Chorush
Special Projects Coordinator

Enclosure: humane mousetrap

Royal Dragon
04-08-2005, 07:42 AM
DOH!!!!!

I had one mouse, that was smart! It kept itself between me and Melissa, so she was allways in the line of fire. Her and I chased it around the house for an hour one time, but the crafty ******* was too quick, and smart for us!

He must have been useing "Clever" power!

Finaly got that one with a glue trap (He he he he!) :p