PDA

View Full Version : What is San Shou??

ChinoXL
04-03-2005, 11:20 PM
What's the difference between San Shou and Muay Thai? I heard from someone who wouldn't stop debating that it's better.. Isn't Muay Thai the ultimate striker? Can somebody tell me what it is and the basics of it and what is San Da?? THanks alot

Hakaisha
04-04-2005, 01:36 AM
I have no experience in either art, but I can't resist from interjecting here. There is no "ultimate" anything in martial arts and neither is any one form better than another. It all depends on how you want to fight and your skill in utilizing the form. Sorry if this little rant is annoying. :o

Liokault
04-04-2005, 04:09 AM
San Shou is two things.

First its a full contact format, traditionaly contested on a raised ring.

Secondly its a full contact martial art. This developed in the same way as karate point tornements turned into "free style" katate as a martial art in its own right.

You will probably hear lots of differant storys to the above, stuff about it being a chinese military style etc.

As for how its differant to mauy thai.....Well I was just in a book shop looking at a thai boxing book. It had throws, leg grabs, sweeps every thing that san shou has (again you will hear lots of differant things here, mostly about the rules involving throws, but just because theres a rule against it dont mean its not there).

In the end I think that san shou has a differant flavour, less happy to take and trade shout, much faster to slip in and throw.

norther practitioner
04-04-2005, 10:52 AM
It's a set of rules...

Merryprankster
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
San Shou is a sport and style developed in China by two midget kickboxers and an ex-pro football player. Although originally frowned upon as being unrefined, Disney eventually took an interest and brought San Shou to the masses.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Chang Style Novice
04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
San Shou is hitting, kicking and throwing with a ref and rounds, plus some safety equipment.

PangQuan
04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
I think the main thing here is that San Shou is designed around the sport mentality. Much as modern Muay Thai, both have roots in traditional combat systems, but were altered to fit a less lethal activity.

SaekSan
04-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Just wanted to mention too that "San Shou" means "free hands", as in, using your techniques without restricting yourself to a pre-arranged set of techniques.

When using the term San Shou it can mean the free use of techniques in a combat environment and/or the sport.

Suntzu
04-04-2005, 01:51 PM
LOL @ "history" and 16 oz gloves........

lkfmdc
04-04-2005, 02:01 PM
I think the main thing here is that San Shou is designed around the sport mentality.

COMPLETELY WRONG

The "sport" is just a way of testing the skills "live" against a resisting opponent in a forum that provides reasonable safety. Rather than just "talk about fighting", you actually DO IT...

This is always why these threads become so stupid so quickly, people with no idea what they are talking about posting their ill informed nonsense

lkfmdc
04-04-2005, 02:03 PM
San Shou and San Da is the same thing. You put on 16 oz boxing gloves, head gear, and chest protection and you can kicks, punches, throws, knees, but no elbows. punch or kick is one point, throwing is 1,2 or 3 points. Out of the ring lost 3 points (if on stage). Out of the ring twice will lost the fight (if on stage). The winning is by knocking down or total scores by judge score just like boxing.

More incorrect information... dear lord :eek:

I've been promoting San Shou/San Da since it was first an international sport, and I've NEVER SEEN 16 oz gloves....

No one has worn a chest protector in Us competition in YEARS

Kicks above the waist are 2 points...

Listen, I don't tell Ba Gua people how to circle walk, why don't you arm chair experts not post about San Shou when you don't know what you are talking about

red5angel
04-04-2005, 02:08 PM
I thought San Shou was that brown sauce you got with pot stickers?

PangQuan
04-04-2005, 02:39 PM
COMPLETELY WRONG

The "sport" is just a way of testing the skills "live" against a resisting opponent in a forum that provides reasonable safety. Rather than just "talk about fighting", you actually DO IT...

This is always why these threads become so stupid so quickly, people with no idea what they are talking about posting their ill informed nonsense

exactly. this "sport" has points, judges, fans, and awards. It is a method of testing your training in "live" combat, but none the less, it is sport.

Merryprankster
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
San Shou is a sport and style developed in China by two midget kickboxers and an ex-pro football player. Although originally frowned upon as being unrefined, Disney eventually took an interest and brought San Shou to the masses.

How DARE you challenge my version of history?!

Liokault
04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
More incorrect information... dear lord :eek:

I've been promoting San Shou/San Da since it was first an international sport, and I've NEVER SEEN 16 oz gloves....

No one has worn a chest protector in Us competition in YEARS

Kicks above the waist are 2 points...

Listen, I don't tell Ba Gua people how to circle walk, why don't you arm chair experts not post about San Shou when you don't know what you are talking about

Incorrect? He just described San Shou as its done in the UK by the BCCMA and most of europe I belive (apart from the 16oz gloves).

Its hard to quote rules, as san shou is no one thing or "owned" by one body.

PangQuan
04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
lol...............

ShaolinTiger00
04-04-2005, 04:33 PM

Testify Brother David! A- Men! AMEN! *stamps feet* *raises hands*

PangQuan
04-04-2005, 04:36 PM
boy im glad I dont own any furniture.

Akhilleus
04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
There is a san shew class at my kung fu school 3 times a week...I have pleaded and emplored the owner to please put an end to this class time and again...it breaks my heart to see the ancient temple techniques degrade into low-level kickboxing...while I achieve lethal combat efficiency and spiritual bliss through my forms practice, I sadly watch the instructor make the students more aggressive and cause chi blockage by hitting pads and actually hitting one another!...the wearing of boxing gloves inhibits the use of internal force...furthermore, the rules make san shew very unrealistic...for example, if a san shew expononent attempted to throw a jumping side-kick (http://www.lijiaquan.com/pages/16/index.htm) at me, I could simply squat down into a buddha pose (http://www.kungfula.com/new-photos/Budda-Squat-Michael.jpg) and smash his reproductive organs, which I, as a Shaolin exponent, would not do...I would simply touch his genitals lightly for one fleeting moment, to let him know that indeed I could have indeed killed him...furthermore, the san shew class at my school seems to have discarded all weapons (http://waynedalglish.tripod.com/id4.html) training, so its like, umm, what do you do if somebody comes at you with a baseball bat? What our san shew instructor doesn't realize, is that sparring (http://www.lijiaquan.com/pages/4/index.htm) is meant to test/confirm combat efficiency, not to train it...

red5angel
04-05-2005, 06:39 AM

uh MP, are you alright? forget to take your medicine today?

Merryprankster
04-05-2005, 07:48 AM
uh MP, are you alright? forget to take your medicine today?

Sorry. I was channeling Fu-Pow for a moment.

David Jamieson
04-05-2005, 07:54 AM
in a nutshell:

san shou= chinese kickboxing

the end

Akhilleus
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Dang...I wrote my last post real late last night...looking at it again this morning I can't believe how bad my troll-tsun (ha ha get it, as opposed to ving tsun?) has become...I will now go watch an episode of "the sopranos" as an act of self-contrition...

Chang Style Novice
04-05-2005, 12:25 PM
The Wire is superior to The Sopranos. And Deadwood is looking pretty good, too.

FuXnDajenariht
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
i must add... "the shield" owns them all. :)

Salacious Crumb
04-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I couldn't agree more - if you don't believe me, you can see for yourselves what proper training without ever engaging in something as unseemly as physical contact can achieve:
http://www.roxburytaichiacademy.com/video/Kenetic%20bb.wmv

WTF? :confused:

Starchaser107
04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
heh heh.. I took this shot maybe 2 or 3 years ago during sparring (http://www.deviantart.com/view/16926908/) session for san shou. :)

David Jamieson
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
san shou = Chinese kickboxing + throwing.

I stand corrected.

PangQuan
04-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I couldn't agree more - if you don't believe me, you can see for yourselves what proper training without ever engaging in something as unseemly as physical contact can achieve:

LMFAO!!!!!

red5angel
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM

WTF!!!! I want to punch everyone in that video.

red5angel
04-06-2005, 12:02 PM
holy crap!!

From the roxbury Taichi website:

"Regular Lessons, 2 month commitment - $340.00 for 90min. ea.
- You will Attend a session 3 times a week
- Gain experience with all exercise methods and basic movements
- Meet with Instructor after 2 month period for evaluation"

340$!!!!!!! for two months?!