PDA

View Full Version : Wushu is for the world

SPJ
04-04-2005, 09:43 AM
The Chinese Wushu research committee compiled 129 quans and over 1000 other previously undocumented styles.

The compulsory routines for international competitions are compiled, too.

More and more champs in Wushu comp from China are migrating world wide.

There was over 20,000 crowd performed Tai Ji Wushu in Nanjing and set a new Guniness book of record.

So if somehow a non Chinese climbs up the ladder and takes up as the lineage bearer, it would not be a surprise.

The teacher will always pick a favorite among all students as the lineage holder or Zhang Men Ren or just Zhang Men 掌门.

This does not discredit the other students.

Dong Hai Zhuan liked Cheng Ting Hua the best. And Yi Fu is the most famous.

There are also other 6 famous and several not so well known students, too.

As generations of students expand, there will be more and more good students, even though there is only one Zhang Men at any time.

The teacher will always pick one as the name holder.

What is your oppinion about the system of the Lineage holder?

In Wushu, there are just teacher and students. There are champs and no lineage holder.

:D

David Jamieson
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
What is your oppinion about the system of the Lineage holder?

These days, it amounts to pretty much nothing.
IMO, the lineage bearer should be the embodiment of the art.
If they cannot effectively use the art or transmit it, then this makes that whole concept of lineage holder quite ridiculous.

Anyway, champs are champs for relatively short times. But a good teacher is good til he closes his hands.

WinterPalm
04-04-2005, 07:33 PM
My Sifu is a lineage holder and I can understand why.
I think that many traditional systems that have maintained their integrity by the representation and conduct of the lineage holders, are persent in modern times and that this is a very important thing in a teacher. I don't know about non-lineage holders but a great Sifu is still a great Sifu regardless.

SPJ
04-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Find your own direction or need. Find something good and follow it.
各取所需, 各取所向, 擇善而从之.

There are research committee set up for each style. Such as Ba Gua Zhang in Bei Jing. Ba Ji Quan in Meng Cun, Tai Ji quan in Chen Jia Gou, etc. Each has its own group of people, schools and events.

Even though there is no a single person holding the lineage, there is a group of people that form the research committee. Usually they are well known lineage people in the first place.

Liu Jing Ru for Cheng Ting Hua Ba Gua. Wu Lian zhi for Wu shi Ba Ji etc.

Yes, Tai Ji composite 27 or 48 forms are promoted as exercise for health and fitness and some routines are used as comp.

People may think that the fighting spirits or purpose of Wushu are lost in doing so.

If you have people that practice Tai Ji for health or gym comp, and one day perhaps they like to know more about the defense principles and practice, then you have a ready audience to start.

Even though for most, they have to start everything over.

Therefore, including Wushu as part of physical education, exercise for health, and gym comp may not be all bad.

Or 无可后非.

I think.

:confused:

Brad
04-09-2005, 09:29 AM
So who are you? What do you train?

Brad
04-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Actually I'm fairly sure I have nothing to fear from you (intelectually, politically, or physically :p). It's funny that someone who does nothing but make politically motivated (and poorly thought out) attacks, rants about commies, giving no info about him(or her)self, accuses me (someone who uses his real name, city, and is open about who I am) of being afraid for asking a simple question ;) Talk about cowardly...

BTW, you obviously misinterpreted SPJ's post (probably due to the language barrier). You seem to have trouble understanding English a bit. He's not talking about "captured essences" of 1129 styles, just that they found and documented them. Why you'd be dumb enough to think asking on an American forum, insulting it's members, and ranting about commies will get you access to the Wushu Research Institute's documents (or someone who could help you) is beyond me. It's pretty obvious that you could care less about actually getting an answer :p

Blacktiger
04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
The Master of our school is the lineage holder for the whole system (Liu He Zi Ran Men) and he was picked because he was the best.
And as it was passed from Du Xin Wu, Wan Lai Shen, Hong Sheng Fu and now to our Master the knowledge that is being passed on is very very solid, nothing is being lost so in that regard you feel very safe in that you are not getting taught from someone who trained with so and so who learnt off so and so etc etc. You are learning directly from the guy with the best skills and knowledge who got taught from the best guy in the system previously. So the techniques you are getting have not been misinterpreted over time due to disinformation.

Thats just my view on it, finding techers with those connections or knowledge is another problem, which can also be very difficullt to find or source. Sometimes its just right place right time.

SPJ
04-12-2005, 07:53 AM
Wolfen;

You are entitled to your opinions about things.

There are many angles to look at the same thing.

Your assumption is that if it is conducted by the government, it must be bad.

I said that they cannot be all bad.

TCMA takes a long time to practice and master. Could ask someone to stand in horse riding stance for 2 to 3 years first. I think most of your students will be gone in a few minutes.

Master Liu Yun Qiao, the founder of Wu Tan, had to stand in Ma Bu for 2 and 1/2 years only before he was ever taught anything else.

It is always easy to find some thing you are against.

It is also not so difficult to find some thing you may agree.

People are smarter than you give the credit for.

The government or any government enforces certain rules.

What if one day the government is not there any more?

My point is that if the wind blows in the Wushu way. You may get a ride and sail towards your goals. Or you may sail against the current and wind.

No other country including Taiwan, offers Wu Shu in whatever form in PE from high school to college.

I agree that Wu Shu be taught. I am against the gym comp. I agree the form performance and demo.

I agree with you that if students are trained to perform as a gym act or Chinese opera. The fighting spirits will be lost.

You may do a high kick to look nice and there is no training for kicking power.

You are right that this emphasis on performance to look good is wrong.

They even include acrobatic moves for aesthic reasons and nothing to do with fightings.

Again, some I agreed and some I do not.

However, if you have high school or college students exposed to Wu Shu, will you have more "ready" crowds to "sell" your TCMA.

And of course, they have to start over to relearn the moves to make them work for fighting and not just for looks.

You may look things differently.

Even that is not all that bad.