PDA

View Full Version : Critique of fellow practitioners

SPJ
04-04-2005, 10:05 AM
The truth is always relative.

There are good ways to do certain things in a certain way. There are better ways and smart ways. There are also not so good ideas.

Rake vs blower.

The grass is mown. If it is not too big an area, we may rake and sweep the leaves. Or we may burn gas and use electricity to blow the leaves into a pile.

Can we say that rake and sweep is wrong? What if the lawn is not so big, can we say it is always right to use the blower and the energy (gas and power)? What if the gas price is going up and up?

There is always a balance of things.

We may offer suggestions for better solutions in MA problems.

But to say that everyone else is doing wrong, or my way is the only right way?

The truth is always relative. Everything has to be considered within a context or a certain set of parameters.

There are as many roads to Roma as the stars in the sky or sands on the beach.

What are your thoughts about how to exchange ideas with your fellow practitioners?

Or if there is only one way to do everything and all the other ways are wrong?

If so, how do you know your way is the only right way unless you try everything else and know they are wrong?

:D

PangQuan
04-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Thats just it, you will never find the "right" way for everything. Of course many things have more defined quarters within which to operate, but for the majority of it there are many "right" ways.

When sharing thoughts or methods with people outside of my particular style, I say "here is one method, which we use in my style, on how to accomplish this task. May I see yours"

For it is alway nice to discover those roads to Rome that you have not traveled, in case you happen to be "in the neighborhood" you can utilize them.

This is not to take away from the fact that there are ways of doing things that are simply wrong. But it again depends on the circumstance and the method of approach and delivery.

David Jamieson
04-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Close the gap, take the centre, use your forearms and elbows and choke the fukker out. Knees where applicable, bada bing bada boom, fancy = sh.it.

FatherDog
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM
There is no one "right" way to fight. But that doesn't mean that there are no wrong ways to fight, because there sure as hell are.

SPJ
04-04-2005, 05:17 PM
In Mantis, there is a move with both hands in mantis hook. It is called double block or Shuang Feng 双封.

A. southern mantis uses the move as hooking the wrist and the upper arm above the elbow.

B. northern mantis varies.

1. You may hook wrist or forearm and strike or hook the neck.

--

Apparently, depending on the conditions presenting, you may use it either way. However, your final move will differ between striking the neck, and hooking the upper arm.

There will be a laterally frontal movement of the forearm in the B instance. There will be an downward movement of the forearm in A.

Then a teacher came and saw students performed differently.

Each is accusing the other doing the move wrong.

Each is correcting each other.

???

:confused: :D

SPJ
04-04-2005, 05:21 PM
In Wu Tai Ji;

At the end of Peng forward with your forearm, you may rotate your palm from facing you outward.

This is an additional move to Peng more.

In Chen Tai Ji;

You may do that. But usually in the form and most instances, you do not do it that way.

Each is accusing the other doing things wrong?

---

SPJ
04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
In Yang Tai Ji;

There are a lot of large movements. The knees may bend forward or outward more than other styles.

May we accuse them of overextending arms and knees.

Are they doing things wrong or just for aesthetic reasons?

---

???

Royal Dragon
04-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Are you talking Correct to stay "in style", or correct as to what works, or don't.

If you are trying to specifically stay "in Style", then you must abide by the rules of your chosen style as layed down by it's founder.

However, if you don't care, you are free to move your own way, and do what works for you (My favorite)

SPJ
04-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Agreed.

You may still vary the moves consistent with the principles and styles.

You may Peng with your forearm, the back of your hand and the root of the palm.

The reason I started the thread;

Sometimes, students and even teachers will think or question if somebody does things differently or not exactly the way they were taught.

Any deviation from what they are "taught" is automatically assumed "wrong".

The previous three examples are all correct.

They do not "look" exactly the same.

And nobody is wrong.

SPJ
04-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Agreed to a certain point.

Or just have cemented or brick laid front yard.

Or fake grass lawn that never need any water sprinkler or any cutting.

See the baseball park with fake or synthetic grass?

MonkeySlap Too
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Father Dog has already beotch-slapped the correct and ended this topic a long time ago...

SPJ
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Off the topic;

You can not cheat health. You can not cheat Kung Fu.

If you worry about the job of cutting the grass, you may try to think of ways not to cut it.

My first post is meant to be the ways of cutting grass.

You use a rake and sweeper. They are simple tools.

You use a electric or gas run motor to cut.

Unfortunately, there are steroids to cheat in atheletes.

There are cosmetic surgeries to cheat wrong diet and not taking good care of the body in the first place.

My first post was meant to say that we would not rush to judgement that someone is wrong if he or she is not doing things the way we were taught.

In the beginning of last century, when Chen Fa Ke demo Chen Tai Ji in Bei Jing, people did not believe it is Tai Ji.

---

Chang Style Novice
04-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Actually, if you define parameters broadly enough, there can be said to be just one right way to fight. See my sig line for details.