PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Akhilleus
04-04-2005, 11:59 AM
OK guys here is the deal...nothing would please me more than to put on about 10/15 lbs. of quality muscle...I want people to really notice me on the beach...I am serious...so serious in fact that I am willing to postpone my MA training until after I have made the gains that I want in muscle mass...I have read a great deal of material and so far have been making pretty good gains (10-15 lbs.)...

So here's the problem...I have also been competing this year, my next fight will probably be May 21st...while this of course helps a great deal with my cardio, sometimes I find it hard to balance the two...time is not the problem, I have plenty of free time...the problem is recuperation...sometimes I feel like I shouldn't hit the pads or bag b/c I want my muscles to recover from my last weight workout...at one point I became very frustrated b/c I felt like I wasn't getting any recuperation time because I would lift and then go wrestle, wrestle and then lift...sleep is not a problem either...I can sleep in 4 days a week...since my next fight will be either muay thai or kuoshu, I'm thinking about dropping all ground training, and maybe even focusing almost exclusively on kicks...after my next fight I would really like to take some time off and live as an amateur bodybuilder for about 6 months or so...I have also been eating as much as possible...and one more point...I have to weigh in at my current weight if I fight muay thai in May...if I do kuoshu I would actually try to gain about 10 lbs. so I'd be at the top of my weight class...so I guess what I am asking is, is it possible to do both? Is it possible to train for competition and begin putting on some muscle mass at the same time?

fa_jing
04-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Not really, IMHO.

Chief Fox
04-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Just food for thought. How can you train to win a fight if you're dedicating part of your training to body building? My advice is to focus on what you're doing now and not try to do both.

Akhilleus
04-04-2005, 06:51 PM
How can you train to win a fight if you're dedicating part of your training to body building?

That's my dilemna...I am finding it to be very difficult...I think I might take a break from competition for a while...I really want to put on some serious muscle mass and make some gains by summer...I emailed a promoter but I don't think he has found a fight for me yet...

ewallace
04-04-2005, 07:25 PM
It seems like you know how to do either one, but the problem lies in prioritization. I'd say go for the fights, then try an anabolic diet such as detailed in t-mag after your fights. Just my 2 cents. but due to the value of the US dollar it's more like one cent.

Good luck whatever you decide. I guess the answer to your question is what are your future goals? If it's to be a fighter than go for the fight that is upcoming. Take care of that business and move on to your next goal. I know that sounds simplistic but sometimes it takes someone else to remind you of that.

Good luck either way.

Akhilleus
04-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks bro I appreciate it...actually since I'm graduating from college soon I might take a break from the fight game for a while while I explore my career/job options and focus on the weights...honestly I would say the weights are slightly more important to me because summer is coming soon and I want to go to the beach and stuff...I know that sounds superficial but hey that's how I feel...I basically told the promoter if he has a fight for me I will do it but if he hasn't found one for me don't worry about it...I also said I would fill in as an alternate if need be...

kwaichang
04-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Aerobic versus anarobic. Testosterone boosters and Super heavy training to promote maximum growth with a high protein diet and low glycemic carb to keep insulin levels down. Couple weight training with sprint work and split your routine and hit each body part 2x per week 6-8 sets do not do LD running on leg day remember to work fast and slow twitch and add plyometrics for explosive power for fighting kc 8 hours of sleep at least

Pork Chop
04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Diet is at least as important as your workout for gaining muscle or losing bodyfat. Supplements can help fix your diet.
You may want to try posting a food log, with calories and protein listed on a daily basis for at least a week so that these guys can see what "eating as much as possible" consists of. Also post any supplements you are taking; if you're taking any.

Any cardio or long duration working out has the ability to burn muscle.
Keep that in mind when you're lifting twice a day.
A lot of those 2-a-day arnold routines were developed with the idea of a steroid-pumping, 10,000 calorie a day eating, genetic freak.
You're a genetic freak, but in order to pack on that much muscle in that amount of time, you gotta make sure you're not burning it off.

BTW- I think the invitation to go to thailand was extended to you on the assumption that you'd be around 185 (or less). It's not my invitation to really comment on, but the heavier you get, the harder it'll be to find you a fight- of course that's assuming you're at all interested in going.

My advice as far as the weight goes is take your average fighting routine, drop a lil of the cardio (or just make it more high intensity, less low intensity jogging); add some weights, add a protein shake or two, and think about having a good 10 pounds that you're comfortable with by next december. Jumping straight into bodybuilding may not be the nicest thing you can do for your body; and the gradual stuff sticks around longer.

IronFist
04-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Welcome to my life.

The only way I can put on mass is if I eat so much that I'm an uncomfortable sweaty mess 24 hours a day. I certaintly couldn't do much cardio like that.

ewallace
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I know that sounds superficial but hey that's how I feel.
I don't see it as superficial. I see it as you obtaining the goal that you feel is most important. I understand why you would choose this goal as well. If becoming bigger so you can look better at the beach is your goal, and you acomplish it, the next time you set your goal, whether it be as a fighter or to look even better, your confidence will be high enough to acheive your goal, as you have done it before. I applaud you for that. Who knows, maybe you put on some mass to look better...and someone at the beach messes with you, and you take 'em out simply because you're stronger. And as a side benefit you get the chicks and the confidence that you can acheive whatever goal you set out to accomplish. Nothing superficial about that.

You don't know me and I don't know you. But anyone who has the cojones to accomplish their goals, especially in the face of adversity (ie: choosing physique over fighting), earns my respect.

Once again good luck on whatever goal you set. And if anyone tells you it's superficial, that's just their opinion. If you reach your goal...whatever it may be, ultimately you set your mind to something and you saw it thru until the end. That kind of mental toughness can only bring about more results...whatever they may be.

I'm getting too sentimenal here. Screw the looks and whip some ass. :)

ewallace
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Welcome to my life.

The only way I can put on mass is if I eat so much that I'm an uncomfortable sweaty mess 24 hours a day. I certaintly couldn't do much cardio like that.
Screw you you skinny *******. :)

Akhilleus
04-05-2005, 11:50 AM
BTW- I think the invitation to go to thailand was extended to you on the assumption that you'd be around 185 (or less). It's not my invitation to really comment on, but the heavier you get, the harder it'll be to find you a fight- of course that's assuming you're at all interested in going.

That's a big factor in the overall equation...going ot Thailand man that would be amazing...only a fool would turn that down...on the other hand, only a fool would risk having my graduation pushed back YET AGAIN...I think I might just focus on school and the weights and make sure I finally graduate this semester...then get back into the martial arts next fall...either way I will let Master Danny know ASAP...

Once again good luck on whatever goal you set. And if anyone tells you it's superficial, that's just their opinion. If you reach your goal...whatever it may be, ultimately you set your mind to something and you saw it thru until the end. That kind of mental toughness can only bring about more results...whatever they may be.

Thank you E...I think you understand how for me this non-competitive bodybuilding would be much more than simply getting in better shape or having bigger guns...I mean, that is the outward, visible fruit of our labors, but I think that the changes that can occur inside are even more enticing...

SanSoo Student
04-05-2005, 11:17 PM
What worked for me when I feel sore and need some recuperating is swimming, it has great cardio benefits and doesn't put too much strain of the muscles and joints. As for training for a fight I don't know much about kuoshu, but for Muay Thai the most important thing is to not focus on one thing before a fight, but to work on the overall rhythm of your fighting style by sparring and improving all aspects of striking in general. After the fight you can watch the replay, and work on your apparent weaknesses.