PDA

View Full Version : Need some tension removal tips

JusticeZero
04-05-2005, 10:08 AM
I need advice on how to remove that last little bit of tension out of the legs during circular kicks so that the striking leg can be limp from the pelvis down while in the air. Anyone have any suggestions?

fa_jing
04-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Why would you want to remove tension from the striking leg? Couldn't this be dangerous to your knee upon impact? Just curious.

JusticeZero
04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
To reduce the danger to the knee. There's no muscles really that can take the strain off of the lateral of the knee, and tension tends to result in damping the returning shock from the impact so that it stops near the knee, rather than moving the leg itself at the hip.

mickey
04-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi JusticeZero,

Are you refering to crescent kicks?

mickey

IronFist
04-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Alcohol.

JusticeZero
04-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Yes. These are crescent kicks of various types.

Losttrak
04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
What you basically want is tensile reserve in the muscle. Total relaxation is probably not achievable since you are using the opposing muscle to aim the kick (Unless you want to simply flop it up and hope it hits). The best methods to train flexibility are legion. Some people (of which I am a believer) say that if you want to train flexibility in a dynamic movement, you want to do dynamic relaxes stretches that simulate a movement. The trick to that is to throw the stretch almost to the point of moderate tension in mass repetition. The reason for this is, that if you are constantly kicking up and reaching Max Stretch during the kick, you are programming your nerve pathways to always resist at that point. Some flexibility enthusiasts state that the body, at its most stressed and intense moment, will remember the state of its flexibility. This is why it is important not to train to the point where all your flexibility is gone due to muscular fatigue (unless that is your goal). It will damage your nerve memory. The opposite is therefore also true.

DISCLAIMER*** Opinions expressed above are the result of my experiences and from resources that confirmed my findings. Results and opinions may vary with other practicioners.

mickey
04-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi JusticeZero,

Practicing crescent kicks without a hard target are usually done with the leg extended straight. When you are making contact there is a difference. The leg bends and as it approaches the target EXTENDS THROUGH it. So, your leg is bent at initial contact.

The pelvis, as you have suspected, is actively involved. When you initiate the kick, your pelvis rotates one side forward; left leg kicking, left pelvic rotation forward. The key to getting the power is in vigorously rotating the pelvis back to original position as the kick closes in on your target. It is like cracking a bull whip. I have also heard this kick referred to as a whip kick. (I am referring to the execution of an outward crescent kick here)

Relaxation is good for developing form at the early stages. As you develop you need to develop the technique and the strength to go with it. fa jing is correct about the tension in the leg. Very bad for the knees. And so is connecting with the leg already locked straight.

Yang Jwing Ming discusses the use of fa jing energies in one if his volumes on Tai Chi Chuan (I think it concentrated on energy and jing). You may find the read helpful to your ongoing practice and development.

I hope this helps,

mickey

JusticeZero
04-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I am not quite certain I understand the entire answer. Further, I have to be careful with terminology - the art is actually different, however, i've exhausted my usual sources for how to improve the technique. I know the techniques in question are similar to inward crescent, outward crescent with a step in, and spinning crescent. In ways though, they differ, as does some of the power generation principles involved. When I asked for information on how to avoid injuring the knee during these techniques, I was told to fully relax the leg during the technique and specifically avoid trying to extend it - thus, leaving the leg in a 'natural straight' as opposed to a 'locked straight' position. This is much like the difference between a punch at trained non-hyperextended 'full extension' as opposed to 'locked out' - 'extended', you still have some arc before you hit the end of the joint's movement range. The power is obviously from the pelvis, rather than from the legs - using the legs seemed to create the tendency to try to 'push the foot through the target' lateral to the knee.

The leg bends and as it approaches the target EXTENDS THROUGH it. So, your leg is bent at initial contact.
Relaxation is good for developing form at the early stages. As you develop you need to develop the technique and the strength to go with it. fa jing is correct about the tension in the leg. Very bad for the knees. And so is connecting with the leg already locked straight.
I'm not entirely certain I understand what you are trying to say here. Unfortunately, we also have a language barrier, as discussion of jing in kicks is as foreign to me as me explaining the use of malicia in the timing of a negaca would be to you.

mickey
04-06-2005, 04:52 AM
Okay, I will try to simplify.

There is no push as you describe it. It is more like an arcing snap.

That is the best that I can do.

mickey

FooFighter
04-06-2005, 06:09 AM
I need advice on how to remove that last little bit of tension out of the legs during circular kicks so that the striking leg can be limp from the pelvis down while in the air. Anyone have any suggestions?

I understand what you point of view. There is no need to explain because it is like how i like to punch. I like to be relax from the start to middle but right before impact (bang)! I would recommend that you start getting serious with flexibility training in back, hips, and legs area. A great book for this is probably Pavel's strech book. I would recommend PNF and ballistic stretch methods which are excellent for kickers. You may also want to check out if your technical kicking form is correct and if you're breathing properly from your coach. Good luck in your training.

Bao

Chief Fox
04-06-2005, 09:04 AM
I find that masturbation relieves tension for me. It might not work in this area though. But hey, it's worth a shot!

FooFighter
04-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I find that masturbation relieves tension for me. It might not work in this area though. But hey, it's worth a shot!

Funny. I guess that is the average joe stress and tension relief. I prefer the real thing myself.

Bao

JusticeZero
04-06-2005, 10:17 AM
You may also want to check out if your technical kicking form is correct and if you're breathing properly from your coach.Gotten as far as I can in this regard. I hit the point of "Sorry, i've told you all -I- know about how to do that particular set of techniques" and don't know that i'll be able to get in touch with his teacher in the forseeable future to ask questions. (And when I do, i'll have a language barrier.) So, i'm just trying to find how to do the last step I was given as best as I can.
I'll start working the flexibility angle then. I agree there shouldn't be a push, this is why I am trying to find how to loosen the leg to move the focus more to the snap from the pelvis.

fa_jing
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Well if you want to loosen the outside of your leg you could work up to putting your foot behind your head or something similar. Lotus pose from Yoga and pigeon poses would help too.

FooFighter
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Gotten as far as I can in this regard. I hit the point of "Sorry, i've told you all -I- know about how to do that particular set of techniques" and don't know that i'll be able to get in touch with his teacher in the forseeable future to ask questions. (And when I do, i'll have a language barrier.) So, i'm just trying to find how to do the last step I was given as best as I can.
I'll start working the flexibility angle then. I agree there shouldn't be a push, this is why I am trying to find how to loosen the leg to move the focus more to the snap from the pelvis.

Seriously, dude, I think you should check out how dancers, especially Ballet dancers, gain their flow and fludity in their legs. Maybe you should go search there and abstract what you can there or go search for a similar stylist master who can give you some pointers.

IronFist
04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Alcohol.

Oh, yeah, that's a good idea, IronFist. I'm surprised no one commented on it yet.

fa_jing
04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I have a comment on that, Iron. It reminds me of that rare ******* episode I saw where the midget kicks himself in the forehead.