PDA

View Full Version : Trip Hop

Vash
04-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Now, my favorite artist in this genre is undoubtadly Sifu Beats. Massive Attack has some excellent material, too.

So, what I'm looking for is some good, non-industrial trip-hop of a more intense nature.

Who's the best, who's the worst?

@PLUGO
04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Sifu Beats is new to me...

Trip Hop is one of those interesting catagories with very blurry borders.

Massive Attack has produced some great stuff though I'd wish they produced with greater fruequency.

Along those lines I'd recomend some of the following

NINJA TUNES is a record lable that prettymuch cut it teeth on the trip hop wave. Check out their compilations for alot of amazing stuff. They've got a stable of producers that include DJ Food, DJ Coldcut & LTJ Bookem

Thievery Corperation has also been producing some great stuff, pooling talent and influences from around the world.

Kruder & Dorfmeister have also produced some great stuff... a little more euro sounding and down tempo some of their individual efforts include TOSKA, K7

From Japan comes DJ KRUSH. This guy is amazing and prolific... he's constantly putting stuff out ranging from some hardcore "gangsta rap" to down tempo ballads.

Morchiba & Lamb are much more lyrical. a female lead with some electronica sensabilities.

Then of course there the Handsome Boy Modeling School who pull talent ranging from Biz Markie* to Chris Elliott. How can you not want to hear what that's about.

*he even sings Night Fever you know what song I'm talking about!!!

BIGtiny
04-05-2005, 12:09 PM
If you like Massive, Daddy G has got a awesome new mix from the K7! label

http://www.k7.com/data.pl?release=%21K7170CD

Most of the DJ Kicks series from K7 is nice, if you like the more jazzy stuff you have Blue Six, Zero 7

Lets not forget about DJ Shadow he can be found everywhere these days.

GeneChing
04-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Massive Attack is doing the soundtrack to Jet Li's next film (some one had to bring this back on topic). The RZA (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=99) is on that too. UNLEASHED (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35097) opens on May 13th. ;)

SanSoo Student
04-05-2005, 11:05 PM
I haven't heard of these guys or groups, but are they anything like the korean group Drunken Tiger?

@PLUGO
04-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I dunno . . . what's the Korean Group Drunken Tiger like?

mortal
04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Try Everything but the girl. They have a couple of duel projects with massive attack on there album. Try any album from 1995 on.

@PLUGO
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Another one I forgot to mention would be Nightmares on wax

SanSoo Student
04-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Drunken Tiger is like a softer version of Wutang, they have some good english tracks but most of their stuff is in korean.

Kristoffer
04-22-2005, 07:21 AM
I used to listen to Drunken Tiger, it's pretty ok. but their videos suck donkey balls

norther practitioner
04-22-2005, 04:23 PM
some dude posted some trip hop tracks over on Russbo.