PDA

View Full Version : wing chun vs. grappling!

Ryu
08-22-2000, 10:18 AM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif No this isn't a flame, but I hope it got you here. Actually I would like to ask the people in this forum a question. I have mentioned this in the past at Mousels and got some good responses, and wanted to see what the general feelings here would be as well.
I mentioned before that I am mostly a grappler, but I have studied some wing chun, some boxing, and some JKD. I have been somewhat training some wing chun principles into my grappling. I would like your opinions.
What do you think of incorporating basic trapping into a grappling system? Personally, I feel that pinning a man's arms to his chest and getting off quick elbow strikes, headbutts, etc is very effective, and easier to do if he is floored. From a side pin, a lot of the material seems to work well. If he is escaping, than you can stop all together, and switch to some wrestling breakdowns, and positional control and movement. Then continue with the assault. Just little things I've been sparring with, etc.
Hope to hear what you guys think. And no, this is not a troll thread of any kind /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I somewhat feel that during an actual fight situation (weapons and friends not included hopefully..even though you can't always hope for that) that a hard takedown, a side position, pin, and a lot of elbows, knees, and headbutts can actually terminate the fight; also allowing you to stay on top, and flee if need be.

Any thoughts?
thanks again.

Ryu

Boulder Student
08-22-2000, 10:55 AM
Let me understand this. Get 'em to the ground. Take away their ability to strike. Hit 'em a bunch with your head, elbows and knees until you win. I think it should work pretty good unless you are fighting BJJ Killer or a ninja turtle. You'll never get the chance to get BJJ Killer to the ground and the turtle technique always trumps BJJ unless you have mastered your hole strikes.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JWTAYLOR
08-22-2000, 07:11 PM
In the mount, raining down the punches is great. A knee/elbow combination from the side mount is a fight ender for anyone. But I'd be really carefull trying the elbows from the mount, and of course, from in the guard. I used to think that I could pull off elbows from the mount until I started rolling with a few guys that actually knew how to fight on the ground allot better than me. If I threw an elbow, I could pretty much bet I was going over, usually on my face.

But from the side the short fighting techniques of WC come in real handy. I don't do WC, but I've got a great friend that has for about 5 years now and I spar with him every couple of weeks. Allot of the stuff looks like American Kenpo. But that's probabbly because of the American Kenpo to Hung Gar to Wing Chun lineage. (did you catch that HG to WC crossover-anyone else buy it?) I've found that I strike allot better in the side than the mount since allot of my techniques translate to that position allot better.

JWT

Scorp
08-22-2000, 08:54 PM
You should get anything helpfull to your art no mather the style.

Grappling can be helpped by punches and kicks

Valraven
08-22-2000, 10:50 PM
What you sugget has some potential but remember- The principle behind the power of wing chun strikes is centerline punches that strike through the target. A side mount doesn't give you enough distance (to punch) and knee-in-stomach gives you too much. However, with some modifications you can perhaps make wing chun work from there. But would it then be wing chun? Just be sure you're not taking the long road into town.
Valraven

[This message has been edited by Valraven (edited 08-23-2000).]

Knifefighter
08-23-2000, 12:14 AM
One of my first striking arts was wing chun. I have found the techniques to actually be more effective on the ground than standing for me. I use trapping and elbows from the mount all the time.

Tai Mai Shu
08-23-2000, 12:51 AM
ignore

[This message has been edited by Tai Mai Shu (edited 08-23-2000).]