PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Taiwan Full Contact Kung Fu Competition

SaekSan
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
So anyone knows much about this?

http://www.taiwanho.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=MMA

Seems pretty interesting, they allow 30 seconds (not much) of grappling on the ground after falling.

Some of the captions are pretty funny.

Kristoffer
04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
whoa, if anyone finds videos of these let me know

I'm also interested to hear what the rules exactly were

SPJ
04-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I do not know that particular event, either.

But I do know that TKD, MT, BJJ, Judo and even karate are popular in Taiwan especially among young people and students.

There are clubs from high schools and colleges. There are also many schools in cities.

Sad to say.

I took part in TKD and karate clubs in high school in 1970's. I attended Jian Kuo high school or the first Taipei municipal high.

There were over 200 members.

In contrast, TCMA or Kou Shu club had fewer members than those in TKD and karate clubs. The teachers were all related to Wu Tan. We learned 7 star mantis at the time.

Actually, I spent more time with individual teachers with specific lessons. I did not attend not much in Kou Shu club either.

So I am not surprised that MMA is also popular in Taiwan.

I think we have Olympic medal winners in TKD, Judo from Taiwan, too.

BJJ is not an Olympic event yet. But there are many BJJ'ers in Taiwan absolutely.

Taiwan's central police academy has all the cool Shuai Jiao training.

San Da teams from the military academies and services are competing with Chinese teams for many years already.

Wu Shu---

--

:cool:

SaekSan
04-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Kristoffer,

Yeah, I'd love to see some video of that stuff too.

"In contrast, TCMA or Kou Shu club had fewer members than those in TKD and karate clubs. "

So, SPJ, what's your opinion on why this is?

Do you have any info on Kuoshu development in Taiwan from the 1950's to the 1980's?

Thank you.

lkfmdc
04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
As much as I hate to sound like Gene Ching :D

this event WAS covered in Kung Fu a few issues back....

(sorry, no handy links to post)

Shaolinlueb
04-07-2005, 01:57 PM
man the ring girl collision must have been nice. :D :o :D

SaekSan
04-07-2005, 03:09 PM
"this event WAS covered in Kung Fu a few issues back...."

Oh well, I don't get to look at the magazine that often... maybe I should...

Nahhh...

;)

chessman71
04-10-2005, 08:41 PM
This event's future is a little shaky right now. You may not have heard much about the fourth TFKC because it was pretty controversial. I wasn't there but i heard that in one fight a local foreigner trained in NHB was choking out the top fighter of the sanda group (the guys in red shorts in the photos). This fighter then tried to run out the ring and was prevented from doing so by the referee. The foreigner then proceded to choke him out over the protests from other members of his group. This sanda group were the main participants in this event since it's the promoter's school. Needless to say, lots of face was lost so this event may not be held again.

Karate and taekwondo are more popular here because they aren't as blantantly corrupt and disorganized as the local CMA schools. Foreign MA often have international organizations, organized curriculums, and clear-cut training/teaching programs that allow people to progress in an orderly manner. CMA is dying out in Taiwan because CMA teachers refuse to improve their teaching methods.

for what it's worth,
Dave C.

Kristoffer
04-11-2005, 06:50 AM
there's gotta be footage of this somewhere

chessman71
04-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Kristoffer,
You're right, there is footage. It just hasn't been released yet, nor is it likely to be. Check the website here: http://www.tfkc.com/

If you look under "media," you won't find any pictures or previews of the fourth TFKC. The VCDs of the first three TFKCs were released relatively quickly. The fourth has yet to be released even though it was held in August of 2004. You also won't find the results of the fourth TFKC listed anywhere nor will you see any hint of what the future holds for this event. Curious, eh?

Dave C.