PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a good jow recipie?

Royal Dragon
04-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm looking to compare ingredients in various Jows to look for commonalities.

Losttrak
04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
This Chinese guy from New York who was visiting our school once gave me a bottle of jow with ground-up c0ckroaches in it. Oddly, he told me to keep it out of sunlight. Perhaps, it might scurry away when the lights come on? *shrug* Anyways, its still locked up on the closet. I figure after it ages well, it might just raise the dead. :) Be careful which ones you try out. Some jow can be used internally and on open wounds, but others are poisonous when ingested. Make sure you know your jow.

p.s. Anyone ever heard of a recipe like that?

herb ox
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Do a search for Dit Da Jow in the TCM forum - there are a few recipes that have been documented... as for the ****roach - it's actually a fairly common ingredient in jow as it moves blood quite effectively.

Ever drank any Gecko wine?

peace

herb ox

David Jamieson
04-06-2005, 05:21 PM
1 bottle of strong vodka, gin, Chinese rice wine or wood grain alcohol (26 oz)
Artemesia (Liu ji nu)------------5g
Borneol (Bingpian)--------------1g
Carthamus (Honghua)-----------5g
Catechu (Ercha)-----------------8g
Cinnabar (Zhusha)---------------5g
Cirsium (DaJi)--------------------1g
Dragon's Blood (Xuejie)---------30g
Mastic (Ruxiang)-----------------5g
Musk (Shexiang)-----------------1g
Myrrh (Moyao)-------------------5g
Pinellia (ShengBanXia)----------5g

this is a good one. if you don't wanna use cinnabar (mercury paste) sub with arnica tincture or the dried blossoms of same.

powder everything (some stuff is already powder when you get it, like the dragons blood)

put it in the alcohol

put it in a cool dark place and let it sit for 2- 6 months.

strain and squeeze it through a cheese cloth and put it in a glass bottle.

the longer you let it sit, the stronger it will be.

topical use only do not put on cuts or scrapes.this is for bruises only deep or superficial. to make more, grade up the contents accordingly.

Royal Dragon
04-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Hmmm, I recognise a few of these. Thanks for putting in in Grams too, I have a scale for that.

I wonder what the Dragon's Blood does? Does anyone know? I know it can be used to stop bleeding, bt it is also very sticky, and resiony. It's like adding in candle wax almost.

David Jamieson
04-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Dragons blood speeds healing and stops bleeding. In the case of hematoma(bruises) It will stop the process of all the red blood cells bunching to the injury which in turn reduces scar tissue. This is provided it is massaged in properly.

A big part of the healing process associated with use of iron hit wine is the massage to break up the dead blood cells that are forming at the injury.

dit da jow should always be massaged in with as much pressure as you are able to stand. the alcohol will help to carry the herbs beneath the skin and then evaporate leaving the herbs embedded to do their continued work.

Jhapa
04-06-2005, 10:26 PM
when you say one bottle, is that a 5th.

does anybody have anything for internal.

David Jamieson
04-07-2005, 05:46 AM
1 bottle = 26 oz of alcohol.

I am not sure what a fifth is. Pretty sure that's an american term for booze. If you're not sure just get a measure and dole out 26 oz.

Jhapa
04-07-2005, 07:07 AM
1 bottle = 26 oz of alcohol.

I am not sure what a fifth is. Pretty sure that's an american term for booze. If you're not sure just get a measure and dole out 26 oz.

i figured it out, it is a fifth bottle. since 1/5 is a fifth of a gallon and gallon is 128 oz and 1/5 is 25.6 oz and round it off to 26oz. :D

David Jamieson
04-07-2005, 07:21 AM
there ya go!

I learned something new and now I know what a fifth is! :D

up here in the great white north we have a colloqiualism too, it's called a mickey.
Basically 12 ozs or a half a 26. we also have mini-mickeys and of course the 2 oz airplane drinks.

mmmmmm airplane drinks. lol

red5angel
04-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Active Ingredients: Methyl Salicylate 18.3%, Menthol 16%.

Inactive Ingredients: Lanolin, Microcrystalline Wax, Purified Water, Synthetic Beeswax.

Royal Dragon
04-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Is that Icy Hot?

red5angel
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
ben gayyyyyyyyy

herb ox
04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Check out this thread (http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35349&page=2&pp=15)
There's an excellent formula listed - also a search of this forum will reveal several more recipes posted in the past.

good luck,

herb ox

Jhapa
04-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Check out this thread (http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35349&page=2&pp=15)
There's an excellent formula listed - also a search of this forum will reveal several more recipes posted in the past.

good luck,

herb ox

http://www.hunggar.net/ditda.htm

herb ox
04-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Yes, that link has been posted waaaay too many times ;) Seems like whenever a dit da jow discussion comes up, that link makes an appearance.

C'mon guys and dolls, let's post something original - with metric measurements, pinyin and latin ingredients.

Okay, how about this one - not really a jow, but a good 'hand warmer' prior to iron palm training - boil a handful of Wolfberry bark - Di Gu Pi (Lycium Chinense Cortex) - in water for about 30 minutes. - Cool the water and pour enough into a bowl to soak your hands - the water should still be warm, though and the remainder can be reheated in the nuker if you like. Soak your hands for 10 minutes or so.

Di Gu Pi nourishes the blood and clears heat and promotes healing - the above technique is actually more suited for post-practice 'hot palms', but I have heard of its use as a pretraining soak.

Anybody heard of this or know more details?

peace out

herb ox

ntc
04-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Just a word of note.... Di Gu Pi does clear Heat, but specifically what is known as "Deficiency Heat". Hence adding this herb would be especially beneficial to someone who has these symptoms, eg... dry skin is one possible and likely symptom.

herb ox
04-08-2005, 11:56 AM
NTC - thanks for the clarification. So, if it's deficiency heat, would it likely be a deficiency of the Yin essence that would otherwise keep heat 'in check' - with the absence of that controlling factor, heat symptoms are presented... does that sound right? Off the top of my head, I seem to remember di gu pi benefiting the kidneys, liver and lungs - also being used to treat 'lung heat' - I suppose its action is to bolster 'cool yin' ?

peace

herb ox

fiercest tiger
04-09-2005, 07:42 AM
u can add salt also!

ntc
04-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Herb Ox:

First of all, there will most likely be symptoms of "Heat", but not full Heat signs.... more deficient Heat signs like "thirsty, but only want to sip; malar flush; heat/sweat on palms, soles, and chest; etc.)

Also, Yin Essence insufficiency can be one of the causes of Yin Deficiency, but not necessarily the only one, or the one that will always exist. In addition, the kidneys are likely going to be affected, regardless of whether they are the actual souce of the problem or not, because of its functional relationships with the other organs.

Di Gu Pi's main strength is clearing severe deficient Heat syndromes that often manifest as very serious empty Heat symptoms such as "Steaming Bone Disorders". And since Yin deficiency is typically involving either the lungs, liver, kidneys, or the heart (or all of them), then, yes, Di Gu Pi does have a positive affect on these organs. The action would be more to (1) clear deficiency heat, and (2) nourish Yin. And you are right... it does have a special action in clearing abscess in the Lungs due to Heat (especially deficiency Heat).

Action wise, "Cool Yin" would not be the case here, cause "Yin deficiency" implies that balance is tilted towards the Yang, which is why Heat signs persist. But because the Heat is due to a deficiency of Yin rather than an excess of Yang, you will see more deficient (also known as Empty) Heat signs versus excess (also known as Full) Heat signs. If you try to "cool Yin" down, you are only going to make the situation worse as you will cause the Yang to be even more excess. Unless you meant "cool Yin" by "making it better through nourishing and heat clearing", which kinda implies what I meant in my previous paragraphy, then that would work.

herb ox
04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
just to clarify, I was indeed referring to the act of using Yin nourishment to cool the empty heat - my terminology was just waaaayy off - my bad. Thanks for the clarifications, though, NTC. You stated it so eloquently... ;) I'll be adding your post to my 'herb notes' for certain.

peace y'all

brother ox

Royal Dragon
04-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Anyone have any more recipes to share?

David Jamieson
04-14-2005, 06:34 AM
red-

ben gay or heating liniments are NOT suitable substitutes for dit da medicine.
they are for minor aches and pains and actually have very little efficacy beyond the psychosomatic response of relief from feeling the heat generated by either camphor or menthol or what have you.

There is a chinese version of those called Zheng Gui Shui. It is a sore muscle rub with the same effect as ben gay or icy hot or other like rubs, but none of these are iron hit wine. I would not that ZGS does have a couple of blood stasis releasing herbs in it, but it is not the focus of it to aid in hard conditioning.

Iron hit wine speeds healing of hematoma and contribute to the release of blood stasis. Ben Gay and the like do not do this to any level that could be considered acceptable in the practice at hand which is usually hard conditioning, Iron Palm, mook jong work etc etc.