PDA

View Full Version : Body Alarm Reaction

Rand
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
List Members,

One of the things that have been a focus of my research and training these last few years is something called Body Alarm Reaction (BAR for short). Basically, BAR is the predictable physical reactions that occur to a human when placed under stress. BAR is the first stage of what Dr. Hans Seyle coined the General Adaptation Syndrome. The longer a person is exposed to stress there are a predictable series of physical reactions that occur. The first stage is BAR and as a martial artist, it is the one that is most important.

Why? Because we are predictable to some degree when it comes to the unconscious physical reactions that occur in us (and our opponent) during a street encounter. Knowing these predictable reactions make us aware of them and allows us to address our training to account for many of them. We can use the model of Body Alarm Reaction to predict the effects of stress on our ability to defend ourselves. At a higher level it allows us to use this knowledge against our opponent as well..... but that is another thread or two in itself.

Anyway, here is a list of predictable physical reactions that occur during BAR.
Take a look and see if you have ever experienced any of them in a violent encounter.

1. Increase in Blood Pressure
2. Increase in Heart Rate
3. Increase in Respiratory Rate
4. Decrease in blood flow to digestive track
5. Decrease in blood flow to liver and kidneys
6. Clotting factors increase in bloodstream
7. Decrease of blood flow to skin
8. Increase in mental alertness
9. Tunnel vision
10. Tunnel hearing
11. Altered state of time (events seem to occur in slow motion)
12. General tightening of the muscle system
13. Decrease in manual dexterity
14. Bladder and bowel can empty

Please review the list and see if you recognize any that you may have experienced. Granted, you might not have realized any of 1 thru 7 occured, but you may have experienced some of the others. I'm in the process of writing an article on this subject and would appreciate any feedback. If you are hesitant to post to the list contact me privately.

I have an entire section in my book, The Western Bubishi, that is devoted to BAR. The book is available on MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.net/bcntprc001.html).

Here are some links to some online articles on the subject.
http://www.combatkyusho.com/articles/BAR.htm
http://www.combatkyusho.com/articles/BAR1.htm
http://www.combatkyusho.com/articles/BAR2.htm

Your in the arts,
Rand

Natus Denuo
04-12-2005, 10:13 PM
That whole thing is complete crap. You saying martial arts give the students false hope? That's not only stereotypical (unless you've visited each and EVERY martial arts school in the world), but it's ignorant as well.

The things that you listed happen to some people at first, but that's kind of the purpose of continuous training, sparring (real sparring, not padded bullcrap), etc.; I could understand your point if you were pointing that at all unexperienced fighters, but to say such a thing about all martial arts, all martial artists and all schools is nothing but ignorant stereotyping.

wushu12003
05-05-2005, 05:37 AM
That whole thing is complete crap. You saying martial arts give the students false hope? That's not only stereotypical (unless you've visited each and EVERY martial arts school in the world), but it's ignorant as well.

The things that you listed happen to some people at first, but that's kind of the purpose of continuous training, sparring (real sparring, not padded bullcrap), etc.; I could understand your point if you were pointing that at all unexperienced fighters, but to say such a thing about all martial arts, all martial artists and all schools is nothing but ignorant stereotyping.
yo you are rude and have a bad attitude martial arts is not about telling people that their theories are crap these theories have been scientificlly proven. and whats more if you dont take the time to digest the info you have been given then you start to think that you know everything there is to offer. i didnt see any thanks on your thread. what kinda martial artist are you?
A) one who knows it all?
B)one who thinks he knows it all?
C) tells his mates he knows it all?
D actually knows nothing apart from bits on television or from movies?

i hate going back to bruce lee but here is a guy who would take into account everything which was given to him in the form of info and then work it out, what was best for him, what was best for you and me,
your attitude is bad as you dismissed the theory as crap.
in your circumstances that may be crap but when there are many of millions of martial artists in the world i dont think that your crap was worth it!
who taught you any way?

advice take into account the things you have learned, pass the info on whether or not it is true to you! never put anything down to crap as one mans crap is another mans gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
live long and die oblong

Wilson
05-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Did your blood pressure and heart rate go up when you posted your response?

I don't think anything was mentioned about martial arts giving people false hope. It was all about scientifically proven reactions that all humans have to stressful situations. In fact, its beneficial to be aware of these ingrained responses so, as you mentioned, you can work to minimize them through realistic training, meditation, etc. The more you know about your body's responses, the better off you will be.

"Knowing is half the battle" - GI Joe :)

ZIM
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't know about any of that. It just strikes me as way too complex to be of much use.

Anecdotally, I've heard that a common - and perhaps more useful - rule used by cops is: 'If the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, move!'

Now, I don't know if that's an official training bit or some bit of common wisdom exchanged among themselves, but it's simple enough to get the job done. If you're wrong you just look a little silly.