PDA

View Full Version : What is nonclassical wing chun like?

phantom
09-04-2000, 11:34 PM
Same as topic.

Sihing73
09-05-2000, 12:28 AM
Hello Phantom,

Before anyone can answer this everyone needs to agree on a definition for "non-classical" wing chun. When that happens then maybe we can all get an answer /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seriously, I think the name is a misnomer as Wing Chun is a system of concepts and an ecletic system. Therefore, it may already be non-classical. Still a lot of WC guys will make claims to being traditional and having the real system. It's all a marketing ploy.

IMHO, Wing Chun is Wing Chun. There are various lineages and branches but trying to name one version classical and another non-classical makes little difference in how they are applied.

Just my opinion.

Peace,

Dave

MoQ
09-05-2000, 02:18 AM
Wing Chun as a Classical system is based on concepts laid out by the founders and seeks to continue the tradition. Nonclassical means there are concepts attached that are not in the original or Classical form of the art.

Although some "nonclassical" WC may indeed resemble the classical intent, this is impossible to guarantee. The disclaimer releases anyone from any responsibility to WC or kungfu.

Once severed from the root, the art loses life, the integrity is gone, the foodsource cut off...

vingtsunstudent
09-05-2000, 05:18 AM
wing chun stresses economy of motion, unfortunatly many teachers these days have added other things that detract from this.
the problem then lies in the fact as to whether or not you know when you're spotting someone who is actually teaching this in its purest form.
traditional or non-traditional,like i have sid before even wc done poorly is quite affective(unless i suppose you meet someone who does it well)