PDA

View Full Version : Clean PR 225

fa_jing
04-09-2005, 02:31 PM
This morning I worked up to a full clean with 225. I've been having trouble with the second half of the Smolov squats so I've been spacing out the workouts more and doing a few other things. For some reason I can't clean well from hang anymore. I'm having trouble hang-cleaning 185, which I did the first time I tried -- 9 months ago. Wierd. I think I'm forgetting to properly use my traps and calves or something. The PR feels good but overall my progress in this lift has sucked, partially because I haven't devoted much time to it. Over the last 9.5 months my clean PR has gone up only 20 pounds. Compare that to my DL which has gone up 90 pounds and my ATG squat which has gone up 100 pounds.
Recently I also power-cleaned and jerked 215. Today I failed the jerk at 220 and didn't attempt it at 225. I bet I can do it soon, though.

I missed a bunch of lifts on the way up to 225 which turned into high pulls. When I finally hit it I was so surprised to have caught it that I forgot to bounce out of the bottom using the stretch reflex like you are supposed to. The good news is that all the squatting I've been doing made it possible to front squat it out of the hole from a dead stop. If I want to do the jerk, though, I'll have to correct that so that I still have gas in my legs.

I realized today, since I've only done this lift a couple workouts in the last few months, that I'm usually pulling it straight up like a deadlift, which might be alright for a power clean but definitely is wrong for the squat clean. On the last lift I remembered the tip to keep your back at a constant angle to the floor until the legs are straight then pull the bar up ****her and back towards you by straightening the hips, using the back extensors. The lift with 225 really popped into place comfortably ( to my surprise ) and I feel that I will soon be able to do more.

I finished off the workout with 5 x 5 DB BP w/90's, some ab, calf work and 50 jumping jacks, a beer and a nap.

IronFist
04-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Whoa, that's a lot of weight. Nice job.

fa_jing
04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Iron. I forgot to mention 1 x 10 snatch grip DL @ 225 -- I've found that cleans of any variety plus snatch grip deadlifts are a great hamstring workout, among other things.

Vash
04-09-2005, 06:16 PM
****, you skrong.

Good job.

Now, stop lifting so **** much and let me catch up. I'm just now working hang cleans back into my workouts.