PDA

View Full Version : BMI vs Body Fat %

zenile
04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know what the difference between Body Fat % and BMI is? I had my body fat measured a couple of weeks ago and was at 15 %. Then I took this test:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/wlc-main-2005.htm

and came back at 24%. Why such a big difference? Seems strange to me. I definitely don't think I'm that out of shape!

Thanks!

stubbs
04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
BMI is just an easy measure for the average Joe IMO. If you train a lot I wouldn't listen to the BMI.
________
Video Reviews (http://videoreviews.org)

Din Gao
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
As I understand it, the more muscular you are the more it throws off the BMI. I think % Body Fat is a more accurate representation. I am sure there are others who can give you a more definitive answer.

Reggie1
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Depending on how you calculate it, body fat % can be very accurate or very inaccurate. If you do the caliper test or the water displacement test, you can get a good reading on your body fat %.

BMI is just a general test for your body mass. It's VERY general and doesn't take a lot of things into consideration. If you are very tall or very short it can throw off your reading, your muscle mass isn't taken into account, your frame size can throw off your BMI, etc. There are lots of things that make this test not a very accurate assessment of your health.

Your BMI is simply your weight in kg / your height in meters (squared). A 'normal' BMI should be somewhere between 19-30, but like I said, it's not a great way to measure whether or not you are overweight or underweight.

EDIT: One other thing--BMI and body fat aren't the same thing. Your body fat % is a reading of about how much fat you have on you. The BMI is just more of an index that physicians use to determine whether you are overweight or underweight.

IronFist
04-11-2005, 06:01 PM
BMI is stupid. According to that I am overweight. Whatever. It wasn't designed for athletes.