PDA

View Full Version : The Temple

LilBigMantis
04-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Hey Everyone new to the Forum, studing the Wah Lum in Maryland, under Master Bascomb. Enjoy it alot, nice workout, lots of application. Lots of people on this forum, just stoppin thru now. Anyone at the temple, hear alot about it from my Sifu. how has your Experience been?

SaMantis
04-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi LilBigMantis, welcome to the forum!

I study with Sifu Rosen up in Boston now, but I studied kung fu at the temple for about 3 years + 2 years of tai chi.

The temple's a great place, with a good, focused atmosphere, lots of room to work out (except Saturdays when everybody comes to class at 1 time, then it's a little crowded). Also lots of time to work out, because there are a couple of open pavilions in addition to the training hall. Students can come between classes to practice, as long as there's not a private lesson going on in the same space.

There's a lot I miss about it. The open practice areas were nice and I was able to spend a lot of time there, unfortunately now I have a "real" 9-5 job so I don't have the same amount of time to practice as then. I also miss my fellow students, there's a lot of camraderie there even though it's a huge school. The temple has an in-school tournament every few years though; they held one last Nov. so I was able to see a lot of folks I hadn't talked to in a couple of years.

If you get the opportunity to visit, do so. If you're able to take a few weeks off and do some full-time training, even better. :)

xillithidx
04-15-2005, 11:25 AM
I cant wait to start at temple. can you go to morning and evening classes? (2 classes a day?)

Frogman
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
As far as I know you can take as many classes as you are able to attend. At Tampa WL some folks will come for both the morning and afternoon class and then do sparing in the evening. Personally that’s more then I care for but I’m a slacker anyway. I would rather go three or four hours straight then train stop then train again. So if you can make two classes a day I say go for it. Of course you may want to check with one of your sihings or sifu.

RibHit
fm
;)