PDA

View Full Version : Nicks Blog

Nick Forrer
04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Sat 9/4/05:

12-230

Wing chun. Lesson in St albans. Covered shifting force of tan in response to light inverse Jut against online bong. Then Free Chi Sau.

4-630

BJJ

Escaping from the bottom turtle. Two Roll and sweep Techniques.

Sparring

Nick Forrer
04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Sun 10/4/05

3-530

BJJ

Escaping from Bottom Turtle. Sakuraba plus two sweeps.

Sparring

Tapped Judo BB with armbar from guard

Also half hour no Gi with Johnathan (purple)

Nick Forrer
04-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Mon 11/04/05

wing chun at home with training partner

1/2 hr conditioning: 5 rounds on focus mitts, 40 stand ups, 40 squats, 12 Dive Bombers.

20 min attack series: overjut, overpak, underjut with turn.

10 min stepping drill

1/2 hr CHi sau

Nick Forrer
04-13-2005, 04:26 AM
Tue 13/4/05

Dinner Thai food - Tom Yum Gung, Pad Thai Gung, Singer Beer HMMMMMMM

Late back so only one hour of training + Still sore from last five days

4 rounds on focus pads

then

15 mins attack series
10 min stepping drill
10 min Bong lap
20 min Slow Chi Sau

Nick Forrer
04-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Wed 13/4/05

Training at home with T Partner

5 Rounds on Pads

Lok sau

Clearing action Attack series

Kicking drill (they push you away, you realign undercontrol and kick as they come in)

Stepping drill

Chen taiji standing post and silk reeling

Free chi sau

Nick Forrer
04-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Thur 14/04/05

Finally found xsing I/bagua in London

Gonna check it out tonight

Otherwise Zhu Zhitsu

Chief Fox
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Nick, so how do you balance your wing chun with your BJJ. I study praying mantis kung fu and would like to do a bit of cross training in BJJ but I have a wife and two kids and have no idea where I would find the time. How do you do it?

Nick Forrer
04-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey CF,

I have a solid foundation in WC (6 1/2years) and have only started BJJ in last 6 months. If your time is limited you might want to establish a good foundation in one art first (you have 2 years or so right?).

Ive done bits of Kali and other stuff as well.

The short answer to your question is basically

a) Im single with no kids and so my evenings and weekends are my own.
b) A few years back I found a training partner at the same level as me to work drills/spar out of class at times that were convinient for both of us. I also now live with him so it works out even better (hes an actor so he keeps weird hours - its a bit chandler and joey actually).
c) I train everyday and am always thinking about/looking for ways to improve

If you want to do BJJ go for it - its an eye opener (I like the quote from one of the machados 'the ground is an ocean, i am a shark and most people cant even swim)

Its also tons of fun although physically hard esp at first when you have no technique.

I basically do BJJ on the weekends (on fri eve as well - which stops me from going out drinking - saving money and liver) and wing chun during the week as well as saturday afternoons (i train about 5 hours on saturdays which kills)).

You just have to make time and find classes that fit into your schedule. Lots of guys at BJJ have young families (some of them even bring their kids to watch sometimes). One class a week is still good especially if you are consistant.

Anyway i really encourage you to try BJJ even if its only once every other week or something.

Nick Forrer
04-15-2005, 05:06 AM
Thur 14/04/05

BJJ 8.30-10.00

Opening the guard - two ways
Guard pass - knee over leck, kick other leg behind.
Guard pass - they roll back into turtle - how to turn them over into rear mount.

Specificity training: From inside the closed guard - tapped three white belts, passed blue belts, got passed by blue belt.

Sparring - ok - didnt get tapped. Pulled off nice spider guard sweep.

Nick Forrer
04-17-2005, 02:48 AM
Fri: 15/04/05

7-30-930

BJJ

Spider guard to De la Riva Guard: Two sweeps -pulling him forward, pushing him back + moving to the back, kicking his legs out and taking his back.

Nick Forrer
04-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Sat 16/04/05

AM: Wing chun.

Lesson at teachers. Saw Steve from Canada for 1st time in more than a year. He remarked on how much Id improved. Practice -its the only way.

Covered both hands on inside, he pushed across. How to replace the hand without leaving any gaps. Also impromptu kicking lecture from teacher. Hip always forward when you kick, knee covers the centre. Cut the chord of the circle. Dont follow radius or circumference.

Natural bow of YGKYM improving. Now just need to work on shooting arrow.

PM: BJJ.

Arm bar from guard review. How to escape. Grab own bicep and their leg (RNC)
Spawl weight over them and yank arm out.

Sparring- so so. tired from am.

Evening: Watched WSL HK seminar on SLT. Everything he had when younger was there in his 60s despite filling out round waist. Footwork particularly noteworthy.

Nick Forrer
04-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Sun 17/4/05

BJJ

Attacks from the half guard: Kimura on both arms - weight/posture slightly different in each technique. This determines which arm you go for.

Also grab his leg triangle roll forward and come over to take back.

Kimura defence. Either lean weight in or post leg out in base (grab ham string).

When passing - push his knees on the floor - exert constant pressure on legs. When he pushes on your torso switch hips. Than a good sequence is grab collar go for Knee on stomach and drive knee in. As he pushes on knee underhook that arm, stand up and pull him torwards you so he is on his side, spin and arm bar.

Nick Forrer
04-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Mon 18/4/05

Paul Chapman RIP

9.30-11.00

WC at home with TP.

3 rounds pads (turning punch)
Lok sau
Attack series
Push and kick drill
Bong lap with variations (hook, kneck chop, hidden hand, elbow pak and adjusment step)
Stepping drill
Free Chi Sau

Nick Forrer
04-20-2005, 05:35 AM
Tue 19/04/05

Training at home with TP

5 rounds pads
Lok sau
Attack series
Bong Lap with variations
Tried out wing chun/jiu jitsu/aikido lock flow to silat helicopter throw to knee on stomach to spinning arm bar combo
stepping drill
chi sau
sparring

Nick Forrer
04-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Wed 20/04/05

Private Lesson covering CK

Noticed that many actions put you in awkward/twisted positions to test your ability to move/turn/kick with control of your COG/balance.

Nick Forrer
04-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Thur 21/04/05

BJJ

Stand up - grip work
Ground triangle defence

Sparring - full out - 2 min cycling

Nick Forrer
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Fri 22/04/05

BJJ

Escapes from front turtle and side turtle

no sparring due to seni comp tommorow

Nick Forrer
04-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Sat 23/04/05

Seni Gracie invitational @ martial arts expo

won 1st two matches 8-0, 10-0. Lost 3rd match to eventual winner by RNC (behind by 3 points, panicked and made stupid mistake) who was also my team mate so we still got gold in Medium Heavy. Saw some bull**** decisions/scoring but cest la vie.

Saw Royce Gracie and Ian Freeman plus Master Sken (Muay Thai) and some people I know from Wing chun.

Nick Forrer
04-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Sun 24/04/05

Escrima seminar with Steve Tappin 11-5

Will write up later - lots of drills & movement but tired from comp yesterday. Still enjoyable and Mr Tappin is a character.

Nick Forrer
04-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Mon 25/04/05

Ill. Been overdoing it recently. Now suffering cold. Hopefully okay by tommorow.
Watched Gary Lam chi sau DVD and played guitar all evening.

Currently reading book about IMA by B K Frantzis. Cant decide if its all bollocks (chi and related theories). Certainly seems so at times. Yet maybe different terms for same thing (i.e. body mechanics/structure etc.)

AndrewS
04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Congrads on the competition. Sounds like you had a couple of good matches. You get your points off takedowns or guard passes?

Steve Tappin's a great teacher. I tried to do some private lessons with him when he was out here years ago, but we couldn't hook up. His staff work is truely impressive. I've heard his sons are brutal to spar with, and that his school does some awesome live training, lots of empty hand brawling.

The Frantzis book- his journey through the IMA book? Coincidentally, I'm re-reading it now. He has skills and has been around. He's also kinda nuts, and either delusional or lying frequently, from everything I've heard. Personally, I've found little useful in the book. It has some good stories which are fun, which is why I'm skimming it again.

Later,

Andrew

Vajramusti
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Nick- congratulations on your matches.!!
joy chaudhuri

Nick Forrer
04-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Congrads on the competition. Sounds like you had a couple of good matches. You get your points off takedowns or guard passes?

1st match got double underhooks and did a suplex (everyone started cheering). Then knee on stomach. He turtled up so got back mount and then ended up with him in my guard when time ran out.

2nd match opponent ahd very long legs (like 6 foot 7) and tried to pull me into his guard. Managed to pull out of his triangle attempt and pass guard. Went into knee on stomach then mount. He reversed, I escaped from guard and passed his guard again. Got knee on stomach and went for arm bar. Time ran out as i was trying to break his grip.

Steve Tappin's a great teacher. I tried to do some private lessons with him when he was out here years ago, but we couldn't hook up. His staff work is truely impressive. I've heard his sons are brutal to spar with, and that his school does some awesome live training, lots of empty hand brawling.

Yeah hes a great guy. I did a bit with his son Wayne who trains BJJ with my team (master/brazza - he is under Leo Viera, Im under Roger Brooking). Steve told us some funny stories about KK apres.

The Frantzis book- his journey through the IMA book? Coincidentally, I'm re-reading it now. He has skills and has been around. He's also kinda nuts, and either delusional or lying frequently, from everything I've heard. Personally, I've found little useful in the book. It has some good stories which are fun, which is why I'm skimming it again.

I agree with this 100 %. The stories are fun and its a good overview but some of it I am v sceptical about.

Nick Forrer
04-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Nick- congratulations on your matches.!!
joy chaudhuri

Thank you very much Joy!!!!

Nick Forrer
04-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Pictures of the escrima seminar (http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/news/news.htm)

I am top left on the right.

Pictures of BJJ comp (www.ultimatejujitsu.com/gracie_invitational.html)

AndrewS
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
PM me with the KK stories- I'm always curious.

BTW- I've gotta say, Steve's site was a bit disappointing. 20+ years with Mr. Latosa and little mention of him. The business of martial arts s*cks.

Andrew

Nick Forrer
04-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Escrima seminar w/Steve Tappin of Escrima concepts

Drills:

Empty hand

A tries to tap Bs shoulder, B defends. Vice versa. First to 10.
Same again but all against all.
One against one but peripheral awareness. Can be struck by other people.

A puts his hand on Bs chest and exerts pressure. A then moves around and B has to keep the pressure constant.

Single stick

A attacks with angle 1 (overhead downward strike). B defends with roof block and evades to side. Should keep facing, weight evenly distributed and body hidden behind stick.

Same again but A throws in punch after strike. B uses wu sau to defend.

Same again but now B steps in/takes up As position

Same again but now A counters by either stepping back or to the side.

Same again but A counters with angle 3/hook. B step in to it using biu and cuts it off at the elbow. If Bs blocks not sufficiently forward A can just drop stick to hit. If Bs block is right he can wrap arm over and get bent arm shoulder crank (like Americana but without wrist frame).

Same as first drill but now B counter attacks and A positions stick to hit or hand to punch or calls out kick.

Single stick vs single stick. A attacks from 3 angles B switches from roof to shield left to shield right using minimal elbow movement and hip movement.

Same again but single stick vs double stick.

Double stick vs staff. A holds staff and calls out to B which arm to hit with. Also changes level of stick and grip of stick.

General

Need to be adaptable in defence and offence. Techniques which will work against empty and wont work against knife. Techniques which will work against knife wont work against stick. Techniques which will work against stick wont work against machete

Have tried to cut out flashy non functional techniques:
Don’t use Redondo/wrist twisting strikes. Don’t use Wing block except in emergencies and even then only a back up. Live hand is primary defence which stops angle 2 at elbow. Don’t front or back weight. Don’t engage in meaningless stick twirling.

Always keep focus on the man, not the weapon. Weapon should stay in peripheral vision. Tip of blade moves too fast for you to keep track of it visually, Watch his body/attitude for attack cues.

Keep body behind weapon. Don’t let weapon arm get extended outside line of body. Important principle for both attack and defence.

Use box theory for defence . 4 slashing angles and one stabbing angle. Blocks involve small movements of elbow and body shifting positions. Always try and do less. Economy of motion v important.

Have to attack the attack otherwise attack may just keep going but also must use footwork to off angle i.e. not just blockig but evasion also. However having blocked they don’t chamber the stick for a counter strike like some styles do.

Use cycling motion of arm to rechamber strikes. Stay relaxed and drop body weight for power. Important not to overcommit though (again this is about keeping focus on man not weapon).

History

On battlefield water men had general amnesty since biggest danger when in suit of armour is dehydration/overheating

Spanish rapier had influence on Escrimadors. Unfortunately they started to use moves which were not appropriate for machetes.

Environmental factors count for a lot when considering genesis of a weapon style: terrain, temperature, clothing, situation etc. EG European gentry used to wear large boots and fight in narrow cobbled streets. This influenced their stance and footwork.

In melee fighting, used to fight in groups of five. Had to be very careful not to injure own men.

Nick Forrer
04-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Previous Escrima seminar notes 04/12/04

Drills

Empty Hand –

Angling off NW to closed / blind side from single attacks. L then R.

Same again but angle off to open / live side.

Same again but angle off to either (add in counter attacks).

Single stick –

Angle 1 attack (overhead downward swing). Roof block (stick tip down, elbow up) counter

Same again but add movement – back, forward, sideways. Hold out other hand – can they punch it? This helps check if range is correct.

Angle 1 to angle 3 (like tennis forehand) attack. Roof block to inside sweep counter. Just drop elbow straight down.

Angle 3 and 4 attack moving back and forth. Turn body and stay facing to counter.

Same again but add level changes.

Angle 1 roof block and counter attacks. Just flow w/ no resistance.

Then same again but add disarm. Grab stick at tip, push down on wrist with other hand (butt of) & strip stick out. If they are strong sink the knees at the same time.

Any Angle and counter attack.

Empty Hand Vs Knife-

Start w/ traditional blocks to knife e.g.X block: ineffective because - Length of knife (wont stop a long one), also can just sink knees and slash throat. Or piking to get stomach away. This protects stomach but leaves throat exposed.

Everyone line up in two long rows facing one another.

Then

A Stabs without moving. B Has to block it. L side then R.
Same again but with lunge.
Same again but with step.
Same again but attack may be aimed at nearest three people in line.

Then wrong gan to low gan alternating hand drill.
Same again but with movement.
Same again but with changing partners immediately after command.
Same again but with stopping (balance test then administered)

General

No numbering system for strikes unlike other systems. Too many strikes to categorise and unnecessary to do that anyway. Instead use five target attack zones i.e. 4 quadrants (slashing angles) and centre of mass (stabbing angle)

Also in their system they use the concept of the triangle. Shoulders/torso is base, tip of stick/outstretched hands is apex. This is where power is concentrated when striking.

Stay facing when moving/ evading. This ensures that both hands are available at all times for simultaneous attack and defence.

Don’t front weight or back weight. Must be able to move w/equal ease in any direction (WSL used to say – Tennis players don’t stand with one foot forward- for the same reason).

Don’t block the attack. Attack the attack. To do this: Arm should be bent not straight when making contact with incoming weapon, body should be behind strike (arm should not be outside line of the body). Hit at the strike don’t hit through it. Must be relaxed (hand, arm, body) to get coiling explosive power (demonstrated this by hitting the end of a staff with me holding it with both hands)

Keep everything in tight – use minimal motion – evade with the feet not the body.

Evade and counter attack all in one motion – everything should arrive together.

Focus when fighting should be on the person and their arms – it should not shift to the weapon they are holding. It moves too fast and will make you overly defensive and prone to feints (Gave illustration of tip of broadsword: when swinging was measured at 600 feet per second).

3 Points of counter attack. Near point (nearest hand), logical point (far hand/weapon hand), strategic point (unexpected action – eg lock)

Ideally you attack first – especially if he draws weapon back/chambers it. But not always going to get opportunity so have to counter first if he steals a march on you.

Bad habits: Turning body away from attack zone, front weighting/lunging, wrist twisting strikes (no power), bringing stick back too far when counter attacking (gratuitous chambering).

The body has been designed for survival. That’s why our veins are on the inside of our arms and not the outside. Need to remember this for knife defence.

Nick Forrer
04-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Mon and Tue 25 and 26 04 05

Off. Ill.

Nick Forrer
04-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Wed 27/04/05

Still ill. Managed 1 hr wing chun. Attack series plus slow chi sau for 45 mins.

Nick Forrer
05-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Thur

Got a random phone call from NZ WT friend who is back in the country. Went for a drink. Discussed WT/VT/whatever with him then did some chi sau/drills back at mine. Went through some differences between LTWT and WSLVT.

Then 1hr Hard sparring with Training partner

Nick Forrer
05-01-2005, 03:18 AM
Fri

BJJ

Sweeps from butterfly guard. Reviewed all sweeps i know. General prescription: trap and stretch a side to break balance, get hips under theirs.

Nick Forrer
05-01-2005, 03:21 AM
Sat 30/4/05

VT in ST Albans 1200-300

Covered replacing hands as you cross the line *one hand in one hand out*. Concept at the end of SLT. How to thread the arms throught without bring hands back/collapsing structure

BJJ

No GI. Covered double leg with shoot, duck under from collar and elbow, sumo drills and sparring.

Nick Forrer
05-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Sun 1/05/04

BJJ GI

Covered judo takedowns. Inside leg trip to ankle pick. Use forearm as a vertical bar to make them stand upright and use steering wheel action to make them single weigthed.

Turning reaping throw. Look behind your shoulder. Scythe the shin with your ankle, not higher up.

If they counter by squating ankle trip back.

Nick Forrer
05-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Mon 2/05/05

Off. Tired and sore and still not 100% from illness.

Nick Forrer
05-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Tue 03/05/05

WC at home with TP

Lok sau, then attack series, then chi sau, then sparring. Went pretty full on. Observation - it does get a lot sloppier when intensity level rises. Try not to stand up/let level of hands rise.

Nick Forrer
05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Wed 04/05/05

630-730 taught lesson. Covered basic escapes from standing grabs (wrist/neck). Basic controls/positioning. Some dan chi and some lok sau.

830-930 next lesson. Covered CK, replacing hands/crossing the line, zig zag footwork, pry (pelvis) vs push (shoudlers/torso), entering step.

1030-1130 final lesson. Just free chi sau and made a few corrections to bong lap.

Got given bagua dvd covering 3 hr private lesson/seminar in english garden with Dr Zi (dont know lineage but an old guy) was there with his senior student.See parralels with aikido and silat in tems of sweeps/positioning. Nice circle walking.

Also got stephen kesting butterfly guard dvd. Very nice comprehensive guide. covers four direction sweeps plus taking back (arm drag and duck under), variations, grips, set ups and what ifs.

Nick Forrer
05-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Thur 05/05/05

BJJ No GI

Covered kimura, arm triangle and sweep (scissor but with hook) from closed guard.

General election. Labour in for historic 3rd time but reduced majority (apathy or Tony Blair lack of trust - probably mixture). Glad to see George Galloway (expelled from labour party for opposing Iraq war (very democratic) and victim of torygraph smear campaign (because conrad black was on the up and up :D )) won seat in Bethnal Green, beating 10,000 labour majority.

Still global agenda probably remains the same.

Nick Forrer
05-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Fri 06/05/05

Works leaving do. Very drunk. No training.

Nick Forrer
05-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Sat 07/05/05

Family obligations. No training.

Nick Forrer
05-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Sun 08/05/05

BJJ: Gi

Attacks from side control. Walk around arm bar. Collar choke if he defends.

Nick Forrer
05-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Mon 09/5/05

BJJ: No gi

Pummeling drill.

Attacks from side control. Head triangle, lock flow.

Nick Forrer
05-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Tue 10/05/05

Rest day. Not feelin great.

Nick Forrer
05-12-2005, 04:30 AM
Wed 11/05/05

630-730

Lesson with chris

730-830

Chi sau with chris

830-930

chi sau with Dave

Got given DVD of joseph Lee seminar. Always interested to see other approaches to wing chun. Observation: WSLVT is less 'technique/move based' than what he demonstrated.

Nick Forrer
05-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Thur 13/05/05

Wing chun with TP at home

Attack series, stepping drill, bong lap, chi sau and sparring.

Nick Forrer
05-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Fri

BJJ: GI

Escapes from half guard - coming round to take back. Cross face with left arm (open elbow) & escape hips to make room and hide head. Pummel far arm (left) underhook in. Change legs and stretch his near legout with your left hook. Hug him tight (so he doesnt replace guard) pull near (right) elbow out from under him and come out to take back.

Counter: As he underhooks pull bottom of his jacket to his head with right arm. Grab from near side of neck with left arm and snake right hand in front of his body and regrab it, Grab cross trap with left an cinch down for X choke.

Nick Forrer
05-16-2005, 04:47 AM
Sat 14/05/05

Wing chun Lesson with clive.

Bong lap- elbow of punching arm should come right in. Dont forget to close fist. Make sure bong is fully extended and pressure is to the centre. Make sure shoulder is back. If shoulder is forward even slightly they can pull you. If pulled under control can step to stay facing. If loose control because torso forward then come in with shoulder.

Lau Sau. Elbow does not move at any point so no gap - fixed fulcrum.

Feed one hand so you can cross line to the other side as they respond. All about who can change lines of attack faster. Use zig zaging dummy footwork.

When replacing hands (one hand in one hand out) one elbow must replace the other so you are still covering/jamming them.

Nick Forrer
05-16-2005, 04:56 AM
Sun 15/05/05

Guard pass from Butterfly guard. Make sure his back is flat. Pinch knees together to trap his hooks. Sit up and push his knees to left and sprawl weight over knees to trap them (do not lift hips up). Sprawl round to the left as you sprawl. Snake right hand between his legs and put hand on floor or his bottom leg to block him from replacing guard. Grab his right wrist and pull it out and bring right knee in to is hips. Cross face and open elbow to finish position.

Variation: Bring left knee in, replace right arm with right knee and then pass to mount.

Variation: If he stiff arms/pushes down on your head, post on head and flip to far side keeping hold of his arm to prevent him from turtling up.

Nick Forrer
05-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Mon 16/05/05

BJJ: No GI

Neararm arm bar from side control - Kimura, take back variations. N/s south trap elbow behind tricep, come back and frame up for figure 4 grip. Drive into him to turn him on his side, come up to 100 kilos and keep weight down on his elbow with your chest, with your elbows close to your body. Post on toes and spin as fixed fulcrum. Pinch knees tight and grab wrist with both hands (pull slightly away).

Nick Forrer
05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Tue 18/05/05

4 Hrs wing chun in Green park and then back at chris' house in Battersea.

Summer finally seems to be poking its head through the door.

Nick Forrer
05-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Wed 19/05/05

Wing chun: 3Hrs

Spider guard against kneeling. Overhook arm with let leg and put left hook in far leg. Sit up and change grip (as in arm drag) and grab his lat. Sit back and kick for sweep.

Same again put dont put hook in. Pass right leg through to far side. As he goes to pass your guard spin under him using your right arm against his knee to assist and sit up for omoplata.

Kevin Bell
05-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Hey Nick,

All good stuff mate. You doing any gym work at the mo?

Kev

Nick Forrer
05-20-2005, 05:01 PM
No Kev Ive stopped lifting. Do enough calisthenics/BW stuff with BJJ to maintain size (currently 83 KGs). Check out Gynastica Natural - good stuff IMO. Mixture of Yoga, Kempo, JJ and animal movements (like alligator crawling).

Nick Forrer
05-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Thur 19/05/05

WC 2hrs at home with TP

pads, attack series, stepping, bong lap, chi sau, sparring

Nick Forrer
05-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Fri 20/05/05

WC - 40 mins in Park

BJJ - GI

Stand up - elbow circle inward and firemans sweep

Ground - sweep from under butterfly, duckunder reverse kimura with head

Nick Forrer
05-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Sat 21/05/05

WC: 3 Hrs ST Albans

BJJ: 2 hrs No GI - Sweeps from butterfly guard, Insist on position and x guard if he postson both legs.

Completley destroyed now.

Nick Forrer
05-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Sun 22/05/05

Seated leg wrap vs standing. Sweep plus variations if he pulls out the arm.

Nick Forrer
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Mon -Fri 10/06/05

On holiday for 3 weeks. Went to Paris, Florence, Venice and Rome. Ate lots of gelato, pasta and drunk much vino rossi. Did a lot of swimming and a bit of wing chun here and there. No Grappling.

Nick Forrer
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Fri 10/06/05

BJJ GI:

Stand up: Various throws, switching to a rear trip if he gets his base.

Then collar choke from side control, spinning to bort and south to block his head and finish.

Nick Forrer
06-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Sat 11/06/05

Wing chun at teachers class for 2 hrs then another hour back at home. Waist mechanics and footwork really starting to gel. Feels like structure vs structure.

Nick Forrer
06-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Sun 12/06/05

BJJ GI

Hungover after party. Still. Escapes from mount - upa and shrimp.

Nick Forrer
06-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Lots of posts deleted - strange

Anyway

Thur BJJ - No Gi
Escapes from bottom

Fri BJJ - GI
Sweeps from spider guard

Sat 25/06/05
Morning - Wing chun in St Albans - Lots of sparring - Lips nose and eyes feeling tender

Afternoon - BJJ No GI - sparring coming along now - tapped tough blue belt and judo BB twice - ankle lock and traingle from mount

Sun 26/06/05
Off

Mon 27/06/05
Wing chun at home with TP - attack series, pads five rounds, stepping, bong lap, shooting and sprawl defence, pummeling, some rolling, free chi sau.

Nick Forrer
06-29-2005, 03:10 AM
Tue 28/06/05

Taught new students for one hour then

Forms (empty hand plus dummy) for half hour. Punching, steppin, kicking drills for half hour. Then half hour Yoga/gymnastica natural. Felt great after all the yoga. Must release endorphins. Something to do habitually.

Neo
06-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi Nick

Did you learn Gymnastica Natural from BJJ or is this something you have learnt separately from some other source? Seen it mentioned a few times on the net but a google search doesn't bring up much info.

Cheers

Nick Forrer
06-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi Alisdair

I have been taught gymnastica natural by my BJJ coach as well as a video of rickson gracie working out at home. It is a blend of ju jitsu techniques (rolls, hip heists, bridges, shrimps, stand ups, tripods, tables, peak outs, level changes, penetration steps), yoga (lots of different postures), calisthenics and animal movements (dog, tiger, ape, crab, scorpion and worst of all aligator (like walking push ups but very low to the ground)). Very good for core strength, balance, flexibility, coordination etc.

There are a few websites around but dont have one to hand at the mo. Try and get the Rickson Gracie home video if you can.

Neo
06-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks for that Nick. I shall definitely have a look. :cool:

Nick Forrer
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Wed 29/06/05

BJJ GI

Sweeps from open guard X4

Nick Forrer
07-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Thur 30/06/05

Off. Played gig (went okay -singing needs work).

Nick Forrer
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Fri
01/07/05

BJJ GI

Drills and sparring

Nick Forrer
07-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Sat 02/07/05

Wing chun a.m. St alans. Free chi sau/sparring. Feeling frisky. Opened up nasty gash on inside of TPs lip. Whoops...

BJJ No Gi p.m. Attacks fom side mount/base change (double underhooks transition to mount). Hard Sparring. Fuqed now...

Nick Forrer
07-04-2005, 03:41 AM
Sun 03/07/05

BJJ: GI. Review positions. Sparring - caught purple belt.

Wing chun with TP - just chi sau or an hour and a half.

Nick Forrer
07-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Mon 04/07/05

WC at home. Just chi sau for an hour.

Nick Forrer
07-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Tue 05/07/05

Taught one class then training on own. Forms including dummy x 2. Punching drills, stepping drills, turning drills. Calisthenics - squat, hindu push up, Hip heist, bridge, shrimp, lunge. Yoga - whole body.

Nick Forrer
07-13-2005, 07:47 AM
wed

Taught lesson then chi sau with TP at home

Thur

Drunken hour long punch up with TP if that counts as training :p

Fri

BJJ GI

Sat

Am wing chun - st albans - 'free' feeling developing nicely - just hit instinctively without thinking

PM BJJ no GI Neck tie drill, stand up take down, sparring

Sun

BJJ GI Attacks from side mount - Jacket choke with own gi; throat bar

Mon

Training at home: Forms, punching, steppign drills, calisthenics - squat, sprawl, shoot, hip heist, bridge, shrimp, hindu push up, yoga

Tue

off - been overdoing it recently - need the rest

Nick Forrer
07-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Wed 13/07/05

BJJ GI

Sweeps from openuard against kneeling. Change grip and grab hem of trouser. Go for Trinagle then if blocked Omoplatasweep then if blocked roll back so you are on all fours next to them and pass your leg under you to sweep them over you.

Nick Forrer
07-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Thur 14/07/05

Taught for 2 hrs - forget how difficult even SLT is for newbies
Training at home - forms, drills, calisthenics (no squats or push ups tho),yoga

Christ its hot 2nite

Vajramusti
07-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Hot-Nick? How hot is hot? Phoenix has been having 116 degrees in the shade days-I have no idea what they mean by shade around here- but still the slt lives.

joy chaudhuri

Nick Forrer
07-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Joy- not that hot! Still as a pasty Brit 31 deg is about as much as i can handle!

Fri- Training at home - forms, drills, calisthenics, yoga

Sat- Just VT at st albans - toe injury from wed so no BJJ

Sun- BJJ GI -spider guard against standing

Mon - VT at home with TP. Chi sau - lots of frustration. still long and windy path to top of VT mountain

Tue - Training at home - forms, drills, calisthenics, yoga

Wed - BJJ GI - basic drills. Nice sequence.

Thur 21/07/05- VT at home with TP

Nick Forrer
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Been lazy with updates but not with training. British no gi sub fighting championship next sat! Feeling confident!

So Yesterday sat

VT 3hrs w/teacher

BJJ no gi

Today sun

BJJ GI 2 hrs

VT home 1 hour chi sau

Neo
08-30-2005, 02:31 AM
British no gi sub fighting championship next sat! Feeling confident!
How did you do Nick?

Nick Forrer
08-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Not well.

Lost both fights.

First fight was against an american with an excellent double leg (must've wrestled in school) but not much ground game. Almost subbed him twice but he pulled out of the guillotine (just) and cheated when I kimura-ed him (he grabbed my shorts which is illegal in no GI). I felt a couple minutes more and I wouldve won but he won by takedown points.

Second fight was against the eventual winner of the open weight division from London shootfighters and he was tough. I tried someting flashy from butterfly guard (arm drag) but it didnt work. He passed my guard. To stop him from sinking a side mount pin in I bellied out (went face down on the floor) and came to my knees. He spun to my back and pulled me backwards and sunk the choke in (across my face at first). I half escaped but half is not good enough!

Theres a picture here (http://www.takeforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172&mforum=wongshunleung)

Nick Forrer
08-30-2005, 03:41 AM
Update

Sun 28/08/05

BJJ - Gi - spider DLR guard sweeps

Mon - VT at home with TP. Tried new under lap, lan attack series. Seemed to work well.