PDA

View Full Version : Hajime no Seven - the second blog

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SevenStar
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I was gonna ttt my old blog from the main forum, which I think had over 30 pages, but since we had the forum move, it's been archived and I can't get to it. I figure since everyone else is blogging now, I will too.

I'll start with last night:

4/11

I had some meetings during lunch, so I skipped out on the gym. In thai boxing, we covered traditional stuff, as opposed to the sport aspect, which we normally cover. Afterward, I put on the gloves with a training buddy there and did the following:

2 rounds straight shadowboxing

2 rounds pad drills

2 rouns of kicks on the heavybag

1 round of interval punching - 15 seconds slowly, followed by 15 seconds of punching as fast as I could

1 round of power shots - no jabs - each strike was donw as powerfully as I could

1 round of jabs only

1 round of jab/cross combos

I have alot of bag and shadowboxing routines that I do, each to work different aspects of my game. I'll post them and go into more detail as the days go by. All in all, last night was a pretty light night.

SevenStar
04-12-2005, 01:06 PM
4/12

today is roadwork day. I did interval runs based on round lengths. So, for example, run for 3 mins and either walk or jog for 1 min. I did this for 8 rounds.

tonight I have a judo class and will do some shadow boxing. I'll post what we did after we do it.

Pork Chop
04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
"beginning's sevenstar"?

errr

"sevenstar no hajime" or "sevenstar no hajimeru" might be a lil more correct....

otherwise, welcome aboard the blog bandwagon. :)

IronFist
04-12-2005, 10:21 PM
^ Yeah. "No" = like " 's "

It might be a phrase that doesn't translate, tho. I could see "Hajime no X" as being "the beginning of X," even tho it doesn't literally translate that way.

When you say "slow punches for 15 seconds", how slow is "slow?"

Oso
04-13-2005, 04:02 AM
how much ground do you cover in 8 rounds of running?

thanks

SevenStar
04-13-2005, 07:26 AM
"beginning's sevenstar"?

errr

"sevenstar no hajime" or "sevenstar no hajimeru" might be a lil more correct....

otherwise, welcome aboard the blog bandwagon. :)

yeah, ubt if I changed it, it wouldn't be like the anime title :p

FatherDog
04-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Forward, forward!

SevenStar
04-13-2005, 10:22 AM
how much ground do you cover in 8 rounds of running?

thanks

depends on my speed. yesterday I covered about 2.5 miles. The goal of the three minutes on, one minute off is to simulate rounds in the ring. yesterday was not all out sprinting, but my goal is to be able to get to a full sprint for each round.

SevenStar
04-13-2005, 10:26 AM
When you say "slow punches for 15 seconds", how slow is "slow?"

The normal pace that I throw punches when I shadowbox. the fast is nonstop, repeated punching as fast as I can.

Oso
04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
depends on my speed. yesterday I covered about 2.5 miles. The goal of the three minutes on, one minute off is to simulate rounds in the ring. yesterday was not all out sprinting, but my goal is to be able to get to a full sprint for each round.

ok, cool, i don't feel so bad about my pace then. I'll hit between 2.4 and 2.7 depending on how I'm feeling that day. just curious, thanks.

SevenStar
04-13-2005, 12:58 PM
4/12

judo - we warmed up and did some moving uchi komis, followed by about thrity minutes of "throw for throw" drills - we move around as we would in typical randori, but we take turns throwing eachother. This was followed by thirty mins of actual randori. I tried to focus on movement and sweeping more than anything - keeping my opponent busy so I could set up the big throw, which for me (right now, anyway) is either harai goshi, uchi mata or tai otoshi. I also tried to focus on grip fighting and establishing my position quickly while nullifying theirs.

SevenStar
04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
ok, cool, i don't feel so bad about my pace then. I'll hit between 2.4 and 2.7 depending on how I'm feeling that day. just curious, thanks.

you run in 3 min spurts too?

SevenStar
04-13-2005, 01:07 PM
4/13 - gym

lifted weights today. my hero was in there - the man is 69 and can bench 275. There was also a loud mouthed buddy of mine in there... whenever I see him, he talks about his "glory days" when he was one of the baddest bouncers in miami. He also gave me his take on k-1, mma, etc. This ain't his blog though, so that's not important. Here's what I didi today.

bench press:
145 X 10 - 2 sets
245 X 4 - 7 - 8 sets
225 X 5 - 2 sets

dips:
4 sets of 10

tricep press downs (The bench, seat for my presses and dip station were all taken, so I did them while I was waiting)
1 pyramid set, from 30 - 70, then back down

dummy military press
40 X 8 - 4 sets

All in all, not a heavy day, but it felt good nontheless. Tonight I have muay thai and will post about it later.

IronFist
04-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Haha, SevenStar is in so much better shape than me it's not even funny :D

Better endurance
Better strength (probably... except in pullups)
Better fighting ability

w00t. Way to go, bro.

FatherDog
04-13-2005, 05:58 PM

He does something in three minute spurts...

Oso
04-13-2005, 07:24 PM

not at present.

remember when I boxed w/ that Mexican guy a while back? Running (boxing) 3/1 with him inspired me to try it and I stuck with it for a few months.

now, when I hit a machine, I usually just do 1 up/1 down for either 24 min or 30 min. When I do 24, my goal is to hit 3 miles....methinks I just need to face the facts that I'm not a 17 year old HS cross country runner anymore....

FD, yes, I usually spurt for at least 3 minutes...it's that TCMA semen retention thing doncha know... ;)

SevenStar
04-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Haha, SevenStar is in so much better shape than me it's not even funny :D

Better endurance
Better strength (probably... except in pullups)
Better fighting ability

w00t. Way to go, bro.

I completely suck at pullups. I'm working on that now.

4/13 - muay thai

last night we reviewed alot of basics - stirking and pad drills. After class, I did 10 rounds of shadowboxing on my own:

2 warm up rounds
1 round stationary, but focusing on head movement
3 rounds interval - 15 seconds normal speed, 15 second non-stop punching
1 round interval - in and out; 15 seconds, forward moving, aggressive, 15 seconds retreating
1 round interval ali/frazier; 15 seconds aggressive, 15 seconds elusive and circling
1 round footwork only
1 round interval - various skills every 15 seconds

I've been training my kid as well, so I had him do the following:
10 pushups
30 jumping jacks
10 burpees
run in place

then he spent the rest of the time doing footwork drills and about 10 mins hitting focus mitts.

SevenStar
04-14-2005, 09:12 AM
4/14

unfortunately, today is a running day. I will run 3-4 miles, depending on how I feel...most likely I'll quit at three, just because I think running sucks. I'm teaching a woman I work with as well, so I'll post what I have her do. She's just beginning and isn't in great shape, so we're starting slow.

20 jumping jacks
5 pushups
5 burpees
2 rounds jumping rope

she's working her basics right now - gotta get her stance and punches right, although she does have a decent jab. we spend about 20 mins drilling footwork and 20 mins on the pads. we finish with ab work and stretching.

As for me, I don't know what I'm gonna do tonight - either judo and muay thai, or just three hours of muay thai (participate in class, then train with coach afterward). I'll probably go to judo then train with coach. Either way, I'll post what I did after it's done.

SevenStar
04-15-2005, 10:02 AM
4/14 - thai boxing

drills. lots and lots of drills. footwork, padwork, shadowboxing and combinations. it seems like for the first half, we concentrated solely on hands, and the second solely on legs. That was cool, as we had a few newbs in class. I ended up doing this the whole time however, and didn't go to judo like I had originally planned.

After the drills, we sparred several rounds - I lost count after a while. I've been wanting to have some local boxing matches, so I spent the sparring time working my hands. I only used kicks if there was an opporunity for a blatant leg kick, like someone leaving way too much weight on the front leg for extended periods - we have a tkd black belt who is notorious for doing that. I tried to work my bobbing and weaving as well.

On another note, I'm going to be taking over the thursday class, as coach's schedule changed. I'll have to alter my judo training - maybe monday and tuesday instead of tuesday and thursday. Only prob is that it will kill my monday night thai training, since the classes are at the same time... I'll work it out one way or another.

SevenStar
04-15-2005, 12:02 PM
4/15 - gym

today is leg day. My leg days are fairly plain - the only thing I really do are squats. If I feel so inclines, I may add some plyometric work, but typically it's just squats. So, without further ado:

225 X 20 - 1 set
365 X 5 - 7 sets

that's it - short and sweet. I do plenty of calf exercises in my MA classes, so I typically don't do those either, and deadlifts are done on my pulling days. Tonight is an off night from class, But I will do some stuff on my own tonight.

IronFist
04-15-2005, 03:55 PM
4/15 - gym

today is leg day. My leg days are fairly plain - the only thing I really do are squats. If I feel so inclines, I may add some plyometric work, but typically it's just squats. So, without further ado:

225 X 20 - 1 set
365 X 5 - 7 sets

that's it - short and sweet. I do plenty of calf exercises in my MA classes, so I typically don't do those either, and deadlifts are done on my pulling days. Tonight is an off night from class, But I will do some stuff on my own tonight.

Geez I can't even squat 365 x 1.

How much are you weighing now?

SevenStar
04-18-2005, 08:02 AM
235 still. My problem is my diet. I'm resolving to change that though, as I want to drop some pounds.

SevenStar
04-18-2005, 08:10 AM
4/17 - solo training

Usually, I train on saturday and rest on sun, but

1. I was busy all day
2. the school was closed because the kempo guys were having some super secret black belt test that non kempo students couldn't see.

On a side note, a mexican grill opened up around the corner from my house that has awesome food and a cute hostess. I went there twice, this weekend alone. I had grilled things - like grilled chicken (although I did try a flauta), but if I can convince them to add more healthy items, that place will become my second home. Anyway, here's what I did yesterday:

Interval running - 2.6 miles

10 rounds of shadowboxing. the first two were standard - punching, headmovement, footwork, etc. The last 8 were the interval variety I described in an earlier post.

In an hour, I've got to meet with the woman I'm teaching, will lift this afternoon and have thai boxing this evening.

BibitClerus
04-18-2005, 08:57 PM
might i ask whats your objective, dude

IronFist
04-18-2005, 10:03 PM
235 still. My problem is my diet. I'm resolving to change that though, as I want to drop some pounds.

Still, I don't think I could do 20 reps with 95% of my bodyweight. Wait, that would be 153. I just did 165 x 15 the other day. Maybe I could if I drank a Redbull first. I weigh 162ish right now.

The point is, you're a pretty strong guy. Bring up those pullups and you'll be a total badass.

SevenStar
04-19-2005, 10:45 AM
IF, you got any links to a pullup program?

4/18 - muay thai

I taught my student today. Had her go over the basics that I've shown her - repeated footwork drills, footwork with punching, jab, cross, hook, etc. I put her through three rounds of shadow boxing and introduced her to ducking. We increased on calesthenics- she did

15 pushups
12 burpees
20 calf raises
2 4 min rounds of jumping rope
40 jumping jacks

and a few other warmups I had her perform.

As for my training, tonight in class we WORKED. We did several rounds of shadowboxing, the normal calesthenics and plenty of combination drills. Tonight's skill focus was sidestepping and movement, so we did several drills geared toward keeping us moving, but never taking more than two steps backward. Next were some elbow drills and we finished with alot of sparring. During the sparring, I made an effort to work my evasion - side stepping and slipping.

I'm headed to the gym now to lift, so I'll post about it when I return. marian changed the training time on me yesterday - I didn't want to cancel because she's new and I want her to stay in the habit of training, so I missed my lifting yesterday...I'm gonna do that now and miss my running *oh darn*, but I'll likely run tonight after judo.

Starchaser107
04-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree with IF go for those pull ups.
Maybe go for a ridiculously small amount first , and then gradually increase over time.

Maybe even do spaced out sets of ridiculously small amounts 2 or 3 reps maybe. You know how much you can manage.

SevenStar
04-19-2005, 12:56 PM
might i ask whats your objective, dude

just to stay in fighting shape. I want to take on some local boxing matches soon, and more thai matches later this year. judo competitions are pretty much year round.

SevenStar
04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
So I'm in the gym and I see alex - big, cut russian dude. He does some crazy exercises and I've been meaning to talk to him about his routine. Today, he had on a shirt that said "karate", so on his way back to the lockers, I stopped him: "yo, alex - what style of karate do you train in?" He looks at the shirt and says "I don't train karate, I kickbox. My teacher gave me this shirt." I told him that I train muay thai, and he was like "cool, we'll have to talk when I'm not in a hurry," then he went back to the locker room. Perhaps I've found a new training partner. Anyway, here's what I did

cleans - 135 x 5 - 8 sets
sumo deads - 315 x 5 - 5 sets
dumbell bicep curls (my vanity exercise) - 40 x 8 - 3 sets
pullups - 5,3,3

I had bad luck with the pullup bar today. Tweaked my back on the first set, and on my last set, the padding on the handle somehow ripped a chunk of skin off of my thumb.

I decided that instead of running after judo, I'm gonna run before.

Starchaser107
04-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I had bad luck with the pullup bar today. Tweaked my back on the first set, and on my last set, the padding on the handle somehow ripped a chunk of skin off of my thumb.

How odd and bizzarre is that... I ripped skin off my thumb today as well but the injury came from trying to swat a fly on a textured wall too hard and not gauging the power properly...
incedentally the fly got away :(

SevenStar
04-19-2005, 03:59 PM
they say great minds think alike - maybe great MAs have a similar connection?

IronFist
04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
How'd you hurt yourself doing pullups?

SevenStar
04-20-2005, 09:30 AM
d@mn good question... I was just pulling up - maybe my back was arched too much or something, but when I pulled up, my back hurt - felt like I pulled something.

SevenStar
04-20-2005, 09:33 AM
4/19

had to work late, so I missed judo. I ran three miles however, and did a few rounds of shadow boxing - nothing too major. Tonight is muay thai. I spent alot of yesterday putting together training plans and such, as this will be my first official thursday running the class solo.

Starchaser107
04-20-2005, 10:03 AM
congrats, have a good session.

fa_jing
04-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Iron - I am an expert in 7's lifting and he has done 20 x 275lbs.
That is all.

IronFist
04-20-2005, 04:01 PM
^ Nice.

SevenStar
04-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Wha? What did I miss?

SevenStar
04-21-2005, 12:11 PM
4/20 - thai boxing

last night was pretty good. We did alot of combination work and plenty of sparring. the combinations were based off of the basic 1,2,3 combo and counters. during sparring, I tried to focus on my movement - I'm really trying to perfect my head movement. I was paired with a tkd black belt last night, which was fun. he's about my size and build, but he's got some amazingly fast legs due to his tkd training.

After class, I did a little more work

1 round on the speed bag
2 rounds of normal shadow boxing
1 round of shadow boxing with lots of head movement
2 rounds of the interval normal/speed punching
2 rounds of ali / frazier style shadow boxing
2 rounds of nothing but power shots on the heavy bag.

SevenStar
04-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Here's what I'm going to have them doing tonight. keep in mind that the length of amateur rounds is 2 min, so each round is 2 mins. there is also one minute of rest between rounds.

jump rope - 2 rounds, 4 mins a piece
between rounds, 40 squats, 40 pushups

shadowboxing
-1 rd. normal
-1 rd. interval - ali/frazier
-1 rd interval - normal and speed punching

combinations - 3 rds

skill work - 36 mins

thai pads - 4 rds

sparring - 4 rds

ab work

the skill work tonight will be defense against the teep. I'm going to cover three defenses - shuffling back, parrying and sidestepping. I will then add follow up attacks for each of the defenses.

SevenStar
04-22-2005, 09:57 AM
4/22

the class went well - everyone enjoyed it and everyone learned something. We all got a great workout too. In addition, I stayed about 45 mins after class ended working with a newb. He has trouble moving his feet and getting his hips into his strikes. That's something I can fix though. Here's what I did in the gym yesterday:

bench press:
135 x 10 - 2 sets
265 x 5 - 8 sets
225 x 7 - 2 sets

dummy military press:
45 x 7 - 4 sets

dips:
4 sets of 10

today on lunch, I will do legs. This evening I have to train marian, and I will run 3 miles afterward.

SevenStar
04-22-2005, 01:00 PM
4/22 - gym

I added ten lbs to my squat, and took my reps down by one:

225 x 20 - 1 set
375 x 4 - 6 sets
375 x 5 - 1 set
315 x 8 - 1 set

my legs are shaking like a teenage boy making out with a girl for the first time. It's the last set of 315 that did it though - I felt solid before that. The set of five on my fourth set - it just seemed a little lighter for some reason. I think that's a sign that I coulda cranked out 5 reps on each set, and I was just being lazy. I'll find out next week.

tomorrow I'm going to get CPR certified. They were talking about wanting to add thai classes to the schedule of stuff they offer (yeah, I would get paid for it) but I gotta be cpr certified first.

SevenStar
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
4/23 - the cpr class was cool - wasn't what I thought though - it was more of an intro course. Now, I have to take a certification course. We learned infant, adult and child cpr and also how to use an AED ("CLEAR!!") to shock and de-fibrillate a heart. we also went over heimlich (sp?) techniques.

When I got home, I did some training on my own:

3 mile run
calesthenics
several rounds of shadowboxing - I stopped counting at ten. I also train my son today and since my lil brother in law was with us, he joined in....which was a horrible site. He's going on 12 and has the coordination of a dog in an ice rink.

WinterPalm
04-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Sevenstar- I took a similar course that covered all of that same stuff. I have a few questions:
What did you think of how they deal with the baby? I.e. hitting the back and then pushing the fingers into the chest? Seems like it would hurt the baby, eh?

I know you are in the States so I was curious as to if they still call it the Heimlich manuaver? Here it is called abdominal thrusts. The woman that taught the course said it had something to do with the heirs to HEimlich getting sued or something.
Anyway, not to detract this log, but keep up the good work!

red5angel
04-25-2005, 03:18 PM
the cpr class was cool - wasn't what I thought though - it was more of an intro course. Now, I have to take a certification course. We learned infant, adult and child cpr and also how to use an AED ("CLEAR!!") to shock and de-fibrillate a heart. we also went over heimlich (sp?) techniques.

WTF? That pretty much sounds like a CPR class to me.

SevenStar
04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Sevenstar- I took a similar course that covered all of that same stuff. I have a few questions:
What did you think of how they deal with the baby? I.e. hitting the back and then pushing the fingers into the chest? Seems like it would hurt the baby, eh?

I know you are in the States so I was curious as to if they still call it the Heimlich manuaver? Here it is called abdominal thrusts. The woman that taught the course said it had something to do with the heirs to HEimlich getting sued or something.
Anyway, not to detract this log, but keep up the good work!

I think it's fine - they told us to only use two fingers, lightly. I don't think that that will cause any serious damage to an infant. They are so tiny though that you have to ensure you are pressing in the correct spot - they made several points of saying not to press the solar plexus. They also emphasized that the baby be held with his head lower than his feet - seems like that would rush blood to his head unnecessarily, but hey, what do I know?

They did indeed refer to it as the heimlich. Lol, I wouldn't be surpised if they haven't heard about the name changing...

SevenStar
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
WTF? That pretty much sounds like a CPR class to me.

Doesn't it... It's part of a greater money making scheme. I coulda sworn that certification used to be free. now, it costs $50. So, in the near future, I'll take a 4 hour class, pass a written test and shell out 50 bucks...

SevenStar
04-26-2005, 12:32 PM
4/25

my wif'es great grandmother has been doing pretty badly. Tonight, they told us that she will likely not make it through the week. Her family is frantic, so I didn't attend class tonight. I likely will not tonight either. I did do some training on my own though:

jump rope:
3 four min rds

shadowboxing:
3 rds normal

interval shadowboxing:
1 rd ali / frazier
3 rds speed / normal
1 rd 1-2 / 3-4
1 rd jab / cross

interval bodyweight:
2 rds burpees / lateral jumps
1 rd burpees / full speed/ power punching
1 rd - 10 burpees/10 pushups/10 lateral hops/10 punches - repeat for entire round

SevenStar
04-26-2005, 12:48 PM
4/26 - gym

I can't decide what I want in my routine, so I keep making slight changes. Today was a pulling day, here's how it went:

power cleans
145 x 5 - 4 sets
155 x 5 - 1 set
165 x 5 - 3 sets

sumo deads
225 x 5 - 1 set
315 x 5 - 4 sets
365 x 5 - 2 sets

one arm dumbell swings
35 x 10 - 1 set
50 x 5 - 3 sets

pullups

2 sets of 5

fa_jing
04-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Best wishes for you and your wife's family....

So why do you pull sumo? Just curious. Is it because it is less lower back?

SevenStar
04-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks, bro.

and yeah, that's what it is. I do regular more often than not though. I only recently started sumo, as regular tends to get to my back after several sets. I've got a twisted lower spine, and it get irritated doing deads.

fa_jing
04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
You may do this already but you should switch which hand is facing up between sets. I find that taking a big belly full of air and squeezing the abs hard keeps my lower back safe even if I round my back, but my back problems are different from yours.

SevenStar
04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
4/27 - gym / thai boxing

trying a regimen switch again - I'm thinking more in terms of fighting, so I switched the weight training to two full body workouts per week. I will perform plyos twice a week, run at least 4 days a week (2 interval and 2 longer jogs) and continue MA 5 days per week.

cleans
155 x 5 - 5 sets

pullups
2 sets of 5

squats
225 x 20
315 x 8
385 x 5 - 5 sets

bench press
135 x 10
255 x 5 - 5 sets

dumbell swings
50 x 8 - 3 sets

deads
315 x 5 - 5 sets

That night was muay thai. We did worked defenses against the round house and teep. drilled them for a while, did the usual calesthenics and finished with several rounds of sparring. during the sparring, I consciously worked my lead leg roundhouse, which I've noticed is getting faster. I also worked my jab, keeping my distance from the opponent.

After class, I did four rounds of interval shadowboxing, two rounds on the speed bag and two rounds on the heavy bag.

SevenStar
04-28-2005, 09:57 PM
4/28 - thai boxing

I taught class today. I didn't want to work anything new - I only wanted to sweat... and sweat we did.

jump rope
2 four min rounds

from there, we went to various stations:

shadowboxing

burpee/speed punching (15 sec interval)

speed bag

heavy bag

we did 2 min rounds at each station, and repeated the entire cycle three times.

Next, we did four rounds of focus mitts which was followed by 3 rounds of neck wrestling. We ended the night with squats and abs.

SevenStar
04-29-2005, 02:57 PM
4/29 - solo

interval run - 8 rounds

bodyweight/plyos:
3 minute drills - burpees/lateral hops - 3 sets
3 minute drills - speed punching/squat jumps - 3 sets

pull ups:
3 sets of 5

dips:
3 sets of 10

shadowboxing
2 normal rounds
2 speed/normal rounds
2 ali/frazier rounds

yenhoi
04-29-2005, 07:31 PM
I love the mass amounts of carenza!

thumbs up!

SevenStar
05-02-2005, 09:01 AM
4/30 - training with coach

jump rope - 3 x 4 mins

normal shadowboxing
ali / frazier shadowboxing
shadowboxing - head movement emphasis
interval - speed/normal shadowboxing

pad work
3 rounds each

sparring
2 rounds

neck wrestling
2 rounds

heavy bag
2 rounds - skill
1 rounds - power

SevenStar
05-03-2005, 09:47 AM
5/2 - thai boxing

tonight in class, we focused on evasion and basic footwork. for the most part, we did alot of floor walking and drilling and as usual, plenty of calesthenics. After class, I spent about 30 mins working with a new guy and then did some stuff with coach:

4 rounds shadowboxing
2 rounds heavy bag
1 round speed bag
2 rounds of plyo/bodyweight stuff:
- burpees 30 sec / lateral hops for 30 sec, repeat
- squats for 30 sec / full speed punches for 30 sec, repeat

A few days ago, I posted that my wife's great grandmother was doing badly. Unfortunately, she passed last night.

SevenStar
05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
5/2 - gym

cleans
155 x 5 - 5 sets

pullups
2 sets of 5

squats
225 x 20
315 x 8
390 x 5 - 5 sets

bench press
135 x 10
260 x 5 - 5 sets

dumbell swings
50 x 8 - 3 sets

deads
315 x 5 - 5 sets

dips
3 sets of 10

WinterPalm
05-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your family's loss. :(

Just curious, what is ali frazier shadow boxing?

SevenStar
05-03-2005, 11:04 AM
thanks, man.

ali was elusive; frazier was agressive. i set the timer for 2 mins, with a 15 second interval. the first 15 secs, consists of only aggressive shadowboxing - forward movement, attacking and head movement. after the 15 second bell, swtich to a more elusive style - fast footwork, using the jab (and teep in our case) only planting for a second to throw a follow up cross at times, then fight back to the movement and jabbing. when the bell sounds, it's back to frazier style.

SevenStar
05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
5/4 - thai boxing

tonight we drilled the lead leg roundhouse. entering with it, using it combinations, etc. both varieties - opening the hip and turning it over, and also the switch kick. We drilling counters to these as well. we also worked using the lead roundhouse as a counter to the cross and a rear roundhouse as a reponse to the jab.

There was a woman in class who had never trained before, and she was upset because everything confused her. I told her that if she returned monday, I'd spend the entire class working with her only so that she could pick up on some basic stuff, so I've got a private lesson next week.

In the gym yesterday I was kinda pressed for time, but ran 2 miles.

brothernumber9
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
GAMBARI IPPO!! err I mean GAMBARI SEVEN!!

SevenStar
05-06-2005, 02:21 PM
:D

5/5 - thai boxing

last night I stressed to the class the importance of the jab, and began to go into detail on it's many uses. Here's what we did last night:

jump rope - 3 x 4 mins
during the rest, 50 squats and 30 pushups

normal shadowboxing
shadowboxing - in and out (aggress - throw a quick combination, then jab your way back out)

various calesthenics

skill work - 8 rounds

5-10-5's - 2 rounds

neck wrestling
2 rounds

we finished it off with 100 crunches, 30 pushups and 50 squats

SevenStar
05-06-2005, 02:23 PM
5/6 - weight training

felt weak today, so I didn't try to increase poundages - I performed the same workout I did last session:

cleans
155 x 5 - 5 sets

pullups
2 sets of 5

squats
225 x 20
315 x 8
390 x 5 - 5 sets

bench press
135 x 10
260 x 5 - 5 sets

dumbell swings
50 x 8 - 3 sets

deads
315 x 5 - 5 sets

dips
3 sets of 10

SevenStar
05-09-2005, 03:42 PM
5/7 - thai boxing

jump rope - 3 x 4 mins

normal shadowboxing
shadowboxing - head movement emphasis

pad work
3 rounds each

sparring
2 rounds

neck wrestling
3 rounds

heavy bag
2 rounds - skill
1 rounds - power

SevenStar
05-11-2005, 02:04 PM
5/10 - gym

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how far or how often I run, it will always suck and I will always hate it. I need to be like IF and boycot cardio. I logged three miles and hated aevery centimeter of it. I like to run about as much as I like having splinters in my ass...

SevenStar
05-11-2005, 02:16 PM
5/10 - judo

tonight was an awesome class. We warmed up with calesthenics and went immediately into moving uchi komis the moving uchi komis I decided to work were:

harai goshi
hiza guruma
hiza guruma to harai goshi
de ashi barai to o soto gari

we performed several rounds of this, then went into some kumi kata (grip fighting) and some throw for throw randori - this is basically drilling - you clench and move, just as you would in randori, but you allow your partner to throw you, then you throw him. we performed three rounds of this, then about 7 rounds of randori. I learned a sambo throw that I worked during the throw for throw drills.

we ended class with a couple of drills - ippon seionage to juji gatame and a variation of sankaku jime when your opponent is on all fours. this also left you in position for an americana on your opponent's free arm.

SevenStar
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
5/11 - gym

my workout time was limited yesterday, but I was able to squeeze in something. I ended up having to work through lunch, so I tried to get something in before I letf for class.

bench press
145 x 10 - 1 set
225 x 10 - 1 set
275 x 4 - 4 sets
245 x 6 - 2 sets

pull ups
8 sets of 2-5

dumbell curls
40 x 8 - 2 sets
45 x 5 - 3 sets

SevenStar
05-12-2005, 10:36 AM
5/11 - thai boxing

basics, basics, basics. We've had alot of new guys come in lately, so we've decided that we're going to spend alot of time on basics, so we can get the newer guys up to speed. Last night kind of built on my class last week - the jab.we worked variations of the jab, different applications of it, etc. then went into basic defense - parrying and catching. we also did some basic footwork drills.

BibitClerus
05-12-2005, 10:56 AM
hey 7,
how do you feel about tiredness post-workout nowadays?
i ask in the sense of, have you gotten used to tough MT workout or your still feel physically destroyed every night? or some few nights?
do you recall how long it taken you to get used to the basic physical stress of it overall when you began training?

SevenStar
05-12-2005, 03:27 PM
ya know, that's something I've never really experienced in thai, bjj or in judo - and our judo workouts are KILLER. There are times in class where I just want to stop and go home, but a few hours after class, all tiredness is gone. There are guys in class who go through it, but I never really have.

When I get home, I just grab something to eat and turn on the tv or something.

SevenStar
05-13-2005, 10:10 PM
5/12 - thai boxing

I followed the flow of the earlier classes when I taught tonight - basics. We continued with working the jab. I added a double jab and introduced the cross. we used all of these in combinations and did floor walking exercises to integrate footwork with them. We did a bounch of calesthenics, so we could sweat some - one of the guys referred to me as "the devil" - I think he ended up being one of the physically exhausted guys xeb referred to.

jump rope
two 4 min rounds
at the end of round two - 30 squats, 30 pushups

shadow boxing
3 rounds

pad drills
12 rounds
every 2nd round - 30 squats, 30 pushups

floor walking drills
4 rounds
after the 4th round - 30 squats, 30 pushups

2 minute interval drill
15 seconds squats, 15 seconds lateral hops - repeat for round duration

burpees - 20

abs - 100 crunches

next thursday will be all conditioning drills. I will really be hated after that...

ewallace
05-14-2005, 09:05 AM
I've come to the conclusion that no matter how far or how often I run, it will always suck and I will always hate it. I need to be like IF and boycot cardio. I logged three miles and hated aevery centimeter of it. I like to run about as much as I like having splinters in my ass...
Hence the reason I do interval training with a speed rope, or sprint/walk for no more then 5-10 minutes. Not that I'm doing that now or anything, but when I do cardio that's about it, unless there's a precor eliptical and I'm all over that, I just don't have an extra 2 grand to have one in the house.

SevenStar
05-16-2005, 10:41 AM
yeah, I like the precor ellipticals - dunno if I trust the readings though. It seems like they always tell me I've burned way more calories than I do running the same distance or amount of time, yet the elliptical drains me way less...

SevenStar
05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
5/14/05 - thai boxing

tained with coach and another one of the guys. It was basically a sweat day - we ran through a circuit that I use:

shadowboxing
burpees/pushups
knees
speed bag
heavy bag - kicks only
the other heavy bag - punching

each round is two mins, and you spend one full round at each station. We run through the complete cycle three times. The buzzer will sound exery 15 seconds, as several of the stations are interval - the shadowboxing is ali/frazier, or any other interval you want it to be. the burpees/pushups interval is self explanatory. For knees, we alternate side knees and skip knees. For punching, it's speed punching, then power punching.

this was preceeded by three 4 minute rounds of jumping rope and some shadowboxing. Usually, we would end with sparring and padwork, but I had to run, as I had to take my kid to a birthday party.

ewallace
05-16-2005, 12:55 PM
yeah, I like the precor ellipticals - dunno if I trust the readings though. It seems like they always tell me I've burned way more calories than I do running the same distance or amount of time, yet the elliptical drains me way less...
Probably because it's less impact.

I don't put much stock in the readings, they are probably somewhat close/accurate, but it sure as hell is much easier on my legs, which is important when you have had a bone removed from one of them. :)

SevenStar
05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
5/16 - thai boxing

we had several beginners tonight, so I spent time working with them on their roundhouse kick. The rest of the class drilled thr kick and applications of it, then ended with some sparring. We did several rounds of shadowboxing and some floor walking drills.

After class, I gave a quick session on proper handwrapping and afterward did several rounds on the focus mitts with coach.

SevenStar
05-17-2005, 03:26 PM
5/17 - gym

today was another busy day, so the workout was abbreviated AND I will most likely miss judo. In the even that I do have to miss it though, I will compensate with some solo training tonight.

bench press
145 x 10 - 1 set
275 x 4 - 3 sets
225 x 7 - 4 sets

squats
225 x 10 - 1 set
345 x 8 7 sets

curls
40 x 8 - 2 sets
45 x 7 - 2 sets

SevenStar
05-18-2005, 01:24 PM
4/17 solo training

the usual warm ups, followed by:

interval bodyweight exercises

pushups - 1 round
squats / rapid punching- 2 rounds
jumping jacks / skip knees - 2 rounds

shadow boxing
normal - 3 rounds
normal / power - 2 rounds

Oso
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
you did pushups for 3 minutes???

wow...

skip knees? as in the thai type knee drill? into your own hands?

SevenStar
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
h3ll no... they were interval - 15 seconds of pushups, 15 seconds of rest. repeat for the entire round. the skip knees I do against a wall so that I have something to brace on, that way I can go faster.

Oso
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
ok, I've done 15/15 but only for 4 sets.

skip knees: gotcha, so basically just like doing them with a partner holding the pad but against the wall.

thanks

SevenStar
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
5/18 - thai boxing

we drillied the roundhouse repeatedly - the kick itself, applications of it, etc. - using it as a counter to a jab, offensive uses... we ran the whole gamut. we finished the night with several rounds of sparring.

SevenStar
05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
5/19 - thai boxing

The whole goal of the evening was to sweat... that goal was accomplished. The session consisted ot circuit training and sparring:

jump rope - two 4 min rounds

stations:

shadowboxing
squats/pushups - 15 sec interval
skip knees
speed bag
crunches
kicks
punches
burpees

the circuit was repeated 3 times. This was followed by sparring for the remainder of the night.

SevenStar
05-22-2005, 09:47 PM
5/19 - gym

this has beena messed up month for weight training. It was another abbreviated workout. Ticked me off so bad That I don't even remember the poindages I pushed. I remember the evercises I did though, so I'll post them:

bench press

cleans

pull ups

squats

SevenStar
05-22-2005, 09:53 PM
5/21 - slacking

I've been pretty much sedentary this whole weekend, minus the 2.5 hours I spent both today and yesterday in the park with my kid. We took the frisbee, some pseudo lacrosse stuff and light sabers and have been having a ball. He can't throw a frisbee to save his life, but that'll come in time. We did our normal thai boxing training outdoors since we had the space and opportunity, and I finally found a use for the weapons techniques I learned in my CMA days - teaching him to be a "jedi"... He's become a starwars fanatic since I took him to see clone wars when it came out, and this weekend we saw RotS, so he was enthusiastic about the lightsabers. I don't like banging up my glowing sabers, so I went out and bought a couple of the cheap collapsable ones - mace windu's for me and vader's for him. Funny thing I noticed though is that they don't pay attention to the casings the sabers are in... My blade is mace's color - purple, but the housing for it is actually what the housing of obi wan's is supposed to be...

SevenStar
05-25-2005, 08:38 AM
5/23 - gym

I put in about 30 mins on the elliptical today. All the treadmills were gone, and I'm not a big fan of exercise bikes.... If I'm biking, I'd rather be moving.

SevenStar
05-25-2005, 08:42 AM
5/23 - thai boxing

we worked basic defense tonight, with a focus on slipping. I had to work with a new guy - a wrestler who does EVERYTHING with force. I'm trying to tell him to slow down, and he's punching like he's in a street fight. I don't have a problem with it, but he's new and his form sucks, so I was trying to show him the proper way to do it before he sped up. He was also trying to bounce in his stance, which threw off his timing and made his slipping jerky and unnatural. I think I was able to correct the bouncing, but I'm gonna be working on his punches for a LONG time. He also has a habit of throwing his his back whenever he pivots - like he's trying to sprawl or something.

SevenStar
05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
5/24 - gym

today was a pretty good day at the gym - one of those days where everything just feels good and falls into place. All of my lifts were easy, and I had no back pain on deadlifts.

bench
155 x 10 - 1 set
275 x 5 - 4 sets
255 x 5 - 2 sets
225 x 7 - 2 sets

cleans
145 x 5 - 4 sets
155 x 5 - 3 sets

deads
225 x 10 - 1 set
345 x 5 - 6 sets

curls
40 x 7 - 2 sets
50 x 5 - 3 sets

squats
225 x 10 - 1 set
365 x 5 - 7 sets

swings
65 x 10 - 1 set

squat presses (dumbell)
65 x 5 - 1 set

BibitClerus
05-25-2005, 10:40 AM
so are you getting in more better shape, man?

SevenStar
05-25-2005, 01:45 PM
probably not, but it makes me feel good to think so. :D

SevenStar
05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
5/25 - thai boxing

tonight, we focused on counterfighting. One thing I noticed among many of the new guys is that they suck with their hook punches. Consequently, tomorrow I am going to keep with the counterfighting stuff - to drill it into them - but I am going to focus on attacks and counters which utilize the hook.

SevenStar
05-27-2005, 12:15 PM
5/26 - thai boxing

jump rope
2 rounds, 4min

2 min drill 2 rounds:
squat thrusts
crunches
pushups
lateral hops
each are performed 30 secs. Rest for one min, then repeat.

shadowboxing - 2 rounds

tonight we continued counter fighting with a focus on the hook. I had them working angles and moving, so we are not in the habit of always standing in the same spot. we then paired up and did focus mitt drills, focusing on the same things.

Next, I put on focus mitts and a belly protector and went one on one with each student for a round of padwork.

We finished the night with ab work.

SevenStar
05-31-2005, 12:54 PM
5/28 - thai boxing

trained with coach for about two hours. We did pad drills... lot's of pad drills, bagwork, neck wrestling and some sparring. We also did some plyo work.

SevenStar
05-31-2005, 12:57 PM
5/30 - thai boxing

Tonight in class, I didn't do much, other than the normal calesthenics. We ran the students through a circuit, and I was the padholder, so I fed focus mitts all night.

After class I put in three rounds on the bag and sparred a few rounds with the capoeira instructor.

SevenStar
05-31-2005, 12:59 PM
5/31 - gym

bench press
135 x 12 - 2 sets
275 x 4 - 2 sets
245 x 5 - 3 sets

cleans
145 x 7 - 4 sets

squats
225 x 12 - 1 set
365 x 5 - 5 sets

short but decent workout today. I've gotta get my weight training schedule back on track though.... asap.

SevenStar
06-03-2005, 11:56 AM
6/1 - thai boxing

I spent tonight working with a group of newbs. It was interesting though, as one of them had 3 years of WC experience under his belt. I had to constantly remind him not to use a vertical fist, but other than that, he caught on pretty quick. He has a lot of power, but he's slow. that will change in time though. I had the guys doing basic footowrk drills the whole night, every so often adding punches into the stepping.

After class, I put in five rounds on the heavy bag and spend several shadowboxing.

SevenStar
06-03-2005, 11:57 AM
6/2 - interval running

Hit the treadmill today and put in two miles of interval running on the treadmill.

SevenStar
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
6/2 - thai boxing

conditioning night. nine stations, two minute rounds. loud music, lotsa sweat.

stations:

shadowboxing
squats/non-stop speed punches
skip knees / slap knees - 15 sec interval
speed bag
crunches
kicks
punches
jabs and movement
squat thrusts

We finished the night off with 5-10-5's and padwork.

fa_jing
06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
What is wrong with using a vertical fist, or is it a question of fully committing to learning a different style before trying to mix things up?

SevenStar
06-06-2005, 11:11 AM
There's nothing inherently wrong with it, other than the turning of the fist causes cuts - a vertical fist doesn't have that. I don't consider that too important though. It's like you said - he's learning thai now. He can switch it up later if he prefers the vertical fist, but for right now, I want him to at least learn it this way, so he has some basis for comparison.

SevenStar
06-06-2005, 03:16 PM
6/3 - capoeira??!

I let my kid start training capoeira on wed, and he asked me to go with him to the next class, so I went. It was awesome. I spar with the teacher on a regular basis anyway, so he was all in favor of me working out with them whenever I wanted. Their training is similar to ours in that they did a lot of drilling. We were always moving, so it was pretty intense. I know I did at least 200 cartwheels, 200 pushups and 400 crunches. I am not sure how many total mins I had to jenga - like I said, we were always moving... literally. We finished with some partner drilling and then a roda. It was great. I don't have any classes on fridays, so I may go on a regular basis, if for no other reason than the workout.

SevenStar
06-06-2005, 03:33 PM
6/4 - thai boxing

trained one on one with coach today. We did some plyometric circuit training, speed bag and heavy bag work, normal calesthenics and some padwork. Didn't focus on anything in particular today, just trained.

SevenStar
06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
6/6 - completely p!ssed

I'm at work late today, and this means I have to make a decision... I can go to the gym and be at class late, or I can skip the gym and be in class on time. My gym time has been very limited lately due to my work schedule, so I'm leaning toward the gym.

fa_jing
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
There's nothing inherently wrong with it, other than the turning of the fist causes cuts - a vertical fist doesn't have that. I don't consider that too important though. It's like you said - he's learning thai now. He can switch it up later if he prefers the vertical fist, but for right now, I want him to at least learn it this way, so he has some basis for comparison.

Agreed. And if he comes from typical Wing chun school, you may have to convince him to try giving up other things as well that he might have gotten comfortable with. I believe in the value of really trying out a different approach. Not to mention, Kung fu people get all uptight if they see you practicing a different style, and Muy Thai could be similar.

rubthebuddha
06-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Kung fu people get all uptight never happened. not once. never ever. :D

SevenStar
06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I ended up having to work later than I thought, so I hit the gym and missed class. As has been the norm lately, I was pressed for time, but managed to do the following:

bench press
135 x 12 - 1 set
255 x 7 - 5 sets
225 x 7 1 set

dumbell curls
45 x 8 - 3 sets

squats
225 x 12 - 2 sets
375 x 6 - 5 sets

SevenStar
06-08-2005, 08:46 AM
6 / 7 - gym

nothing special. ran a little over two miles. Running still sucks, even though I am much better at it now. How dumb is that, to try and be good at something you hate so much??

SevenStar
06-08-2005, 08:55 AM
6 / 7 - judo

we warmed up with normal calesthenics and moving uchi komis. We drilled a lot of throws tonight, but they were mainly just variations, follow ups and follow up variations for o soto gari.. ways that tend to be more effective than the traditional method. We finished up with plenty of randori.

SevenStar
06-09-2005, 10:08 AM
6 / 8 - gym

lifted weights today. in general, it was a sucky session, because the the gym was crowded... felt like I was in Kmart during a blue light sale, or something. I did one set of cleans, then went for some water, only to come back and find that someone had taken my barbell and started using it for bench presses, the punk sonofa... ah well, shame on me, I suppose.

deads
225 x 8 - 1 set
315 x 7 - 1 set
365 x 6 - 4 sets

dumbell squat press
60 x 5 - 7 - 5 sets

cleans
135 x 10 - 1 set

brothernumber9
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
so who do you relate to mostly?

Ippo?
Takamura?
Sendo?
Ozuma?
Mashiba?
Aoki?
Date?

or a combo of some?

SevenStar
06-09-2005, 10:59 AM
6 / 8 - thai boxing

knees were the name of the game. we did alot of padwork, focusing on the roundhouse and the knee bomb. we also engaged in several rounds of neck wrestling. Neck wrestling is always a fun thing, but you definitely feel it the next day. For the knees, we really only worked the knee bomb, so I think tomorrow night, I will teach the other knee strikes. I found out that we are supposed to be giving a thai boxing demo for some event that's coming up in the city, so we're gonna put a program together, probably starting with an explanation of what muay thai is, some history of the style, then moving into padwork - for technique demonstration and sparring. We'll finish with some audience participation.

capoeira

I am starting to love this class. I see why red decided to become a breakdancer. we warmed up with about 10 mins of running, followed by some pushups - like 20... easy stuff - and about 300 crunches. We then moved into floor drills and the ginga. so far, I've been shown the ginga, aul(sp?) - a cartwheel, negativa - a devensive posture, feinta - a feint, and two other techniques that I cannot recall the names of. I pretty much spent the rest of the night doing those moves in combinations. at the end of class, we had a roda. I haven't formally learned any of the capoeira strikes yet, but have been using crescent kicks,the teep, roundhouse kicks and hook kicks, which looks like what they are throwing. I also use knees and some takedowns. In one match, I busted out a tornado kick, for old time's sake. That won't be a regular basis thing though - I want to stay focused with techniques that I feel will be usable by me in the street and the ring, like the takedowns, push kicks, roundhouse and knees.

SevenStar
06-10-2005, 03:24 PM
6/9 - gym

bench press
135 x 12 - 1 set
225 x 8 - 1 set
245 x7 - 1 set
265 x 5 - 3 sets

curls
40 x 8 - 1 set
50 x 6 - 2 sets
55 x 3 - 3 sets

Today was a pretty easy day. My only intention was to get in the gym, then get out.

SevenStar
06-10-2005, 03:29 PM
6/9 - thai boxing

knees, knees, knees. I built on what we worked last night, showing more knees, how to use them, making openings in the clinch, etc. We finished the night with alot of calesthenics and plenty of sparring.

bjj

we did alot of drilling, mainly working escapes from the side mount. The calesthenics were rough. Not really different than normal, but more intense.

SevenStar
06-13-2005, 10:39 AM
so who do you relate to mostly?

Ippo?
Takamura?
Sendo?
Ozuma?
Mashiba?
Aoki?
Date?

or a combo of some?

My bad - I missed this post. generally, with anime, I can identify with one character, but with this series, it's a combo. different fighting preferences, character development, etc.

Ippo - I can't really relate to being picked on to the extent that he was, but his determination I definitely can. Also, he's an infighter, which is where I prefer to be.

takamura - he's ****y, but can back it up. What I can really identify with is his self motivation.

Miyata - he's trained since he was young and is dedicated to it. He's singleminded in the journey to reach his goal.

mashiba is a b@stard. good flick jab though.

SevenStar
06-13-2005, 10:48 AM
6 / 10 - gym

3 miles on the elliptical. Wasn't a whole lot, but it was enough to work up a decent sweat - And I like the elliptical A LOT more than I will ever like running.

SevenStar
06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
6 / 10 - thai boxing

I was solo tonight. Capoeira was cancelled, so my son and I did some stuff on our own. Here's what we put in:

shadowboxing - 9 rounds
various floor walking exercises - 7 rounds
jumping rope - two 4 min rounds (he just jumped without a rope)
ginga - 3 rounds

bodyweight stuff:
jumping jacks
squat thrusts
squats
calf raises
running in place
pushups

I held the focus mitts for him, then we did some "sparring" I actually hit him, and let him hit me, while correcting his guard, his punching, etc.

SevenStar
06-13-2005, 11:29 AM
6 / 11 - thai boxing

met with coach today. he, I and another guy trained at the gym.

jumping rope - three 4 min rounds
calesthenics
speedbag - 4 rounds
heavy bag - 9 rounds
shadowboxing - 4 rounds
punch mitts - 4 rounds
abs

medicine ball
jab
cross
overhead pass
chest pass (ab conditioning)
punishment pushups (you get pushups if you drop the ball.)

SevenStar
06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
6 / 13 - thai boxing

worked on some stuff with the newbs - sparring, hand work and leg conditioning. we rotated them from station to station throughout the class period. At the end of class, coach and I put in

4 rounds on the heavybag
2 rounds on the speedbag
3 rounds of shadowboxing

SevenStar
06-16-2005, 12:03 AM
6 / 14 - gym

I've griped enough about not having a lot of time at work recently, so I won't even go into it now.

squats
225 x 10 - 1 set
315 x 10 - 1 set
345 x 8 - 2 sets
385 x 6 2 sets

bench
135 x 10 - 1 set
185 x 10 - 1 set
225 x 8 - 2 sets
245 x 6 - 2 sets

SevenStar
06-16-2005, 12:12 AM
6 / 15 - thai boxing

class was small tonight - only 4, compared to the usual 18 or so. I ran class tonight. We drilled a punching on the focus mitts - about 6 rounds or so - worked timing with the teep and trained the roundhouse. We worked up a decent sweat, but tomorrow is conditioning, so that's when we will REALLY sweat. One of our guys has an mma fight coming up, and if my money and work schedule is right, I may fight later this summer as well, so I'm training him for the fight and will be training harder myself as well.

capoeira

ENDLESS calesthenics... around 300 crunches, lots of running, plenty of pushups and various other carpoeira specific training exercises. We then spent about 40 mins doing line drills. The advanced guys did... advanced stuff ( I don't know the names of most of it yet) and I kept working my ginga and cartwheel. I did learn a few new things though. I learned their version of the push kick ( I won't even slander the name by trying to spell it) and also a takedown counter to the kick. capoeira has A LOT of infighting, it's just that that's not what appeals to the masses, so that's not what is shown on TV.

SevenStar
06-16-2005, 02:06 PM
6 / 16 - gym

ran / jogged 3 miles. As usual, it sucked, but what can you do?

I forgot to mention the WC guy - he came back to class monday night. I'm still trying to de-program him, but his knees automatically bow in, his fist is vertical and the punches are more wc style, not straight out and back like we do them. same with his hook. But he's getting there.

SevenStar
06-20-2005, 02:04 PM
6 / 17 - gym

Today was a good day at the gym...the first full session I've had in a while. Nobody was there, and I wasn't rushed. It's a dayum shame that every day can't be like that.

squat
225 x 12 - 1 set
315 x 8 - 1 set
405 x 4 - 5 sets

Bench
135 x 12 - 1 set
225 x 8 - 3 sets
275 x 5 - 3 sets

deads
225 x 10 - 2 sets
315 x 8 - 2 sets
345 x 7 - 2 sets

cleans
155 x 6 - 2 sets

curls
45 x 8 - 5 sets

SevenStar
06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
6 / 16 - thai boxing

I forgot to add thursday night's training.Class wasn't too terribly difficult tonight - we had two newbs, so I spent the whole class working with them on basic footwork and the jab. I had the other guys working on clinching, padwork and the heavy bag.

Following class, I put in 4 rounds on the heavy bag and two on the speed bag.

SevenStar
06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
6 / 17- LOOONG weekend

this was the beginning of what will be several long weekends. I got a job bouncing at one of the busiest clubs in the down town area. I need the cash though, so I am also about to get one during the week at another of the cities busiest clubs. If it works out the way I'm intending, then that will be at least an extra $300 per week.

I wake up friday morning and go to the day job as usual... 9-5, I hit the gym, grabbed some grub, then headed in to work. I was at the club from 9:00pm - 6am. Great place, AWESOME scenery... women like bouncers ;) I got home around 6:30, then slept till 9:30 - I had to meet someone at the gym at 10am to train (I'll blog that in a bit). I got home from that and lunch at around 1, but I was too wired to go to sleep, so I watched tv and ran some errands. I think I slept from like 7 - 9, then got up to report in. I worked from 10:30 - 6:30, then went home and crashed. Sunday night, I went to the club I mentioned earlier, as a buddy of mine told me they were looking for people. I spoke to a couple of guys, and they want me to come back thursday night.

SevenStar
06-20-2005, 02:37 PM
6 / 18 private lesson

This morning I trained with another guy from class. He's got a fight coming up and wanted to put some extra time in. I had him do several rounds on the mitts, some shadowboxing, and we finished up with sparring. Afterward, I hit the speedbag and heavybag, then put in a few rounds of shadowboxing.

SevenStar
06-21-2005, 10:16 AM
6 / 20 - thai boxing

Last night, we drilled footwork, specifically, getting to the outside of someone so that you could zone off their most dangerous weapons. Afterward, there was several rounds of sparring. After class, I sparred more with one of the guys, put in a few rounds of bagwork and a round on the speedbag.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:36 PM
6 / 21 - gym

bench
135 x 12 - 1 set
225 x 8 - 2 sets
255 x 6 - 3 sets

squats
225 x 10 - 1 set
315 x 8 - 2 sets
405 x 4 - 4 sets

curls
45 x 8 - 4 sets

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:43 PM
6 / 22 - thai boxing

tonight we mainly worked hands. Lots of hand work. shadowboxing, combinations, pad work, etc. and we finished with some sparring. Afterward, the instructors had a meeting concerning matters of the classes.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:46 PM
6 / 23 - thai boxing

tonight was puke night - circuit training. I set up the a circuit similar to normal, with a few variations:

shadowboxing
interval - hindu pushups / squat thrusts
skip knees
speed bag
crunches
kicks on the heavy bag
punches on the other heavy bag

We repeated the circuit twice, then moved on to thai pad drills. As usual, we began with 10 mins of ropejumping and various other calesthenics.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:49 PM
6 / 23 - take down class

one of our bjj students is a former national level wrestler, so we started letting him teach a wrestling based takedown class on thursdays. Today we drilled a few takedowns from the clinch - they were similar to o soto gari, o uchi gari and hiza guruma. We then drilled them in combinations and did some live play (sparring). This is gonna be a great class.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
6 / 23 - gym

cardio - ran 2 miles. cardio sucks. nuff said.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
6 / 24 - gym

bench
135 x 12 - 1 set
225 x 8 - 2 sets
265 x 5 - 3 sets

squats
225 x 10 - 1 set
315 x 8 - 2 sets
405 x 4 - 4 sets

curls
40 x 10 - 1 set
50 x 6- 3 sets

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:53 PM
6 / 24 - capoeira

lots of calesthenics. then it was line drills for the next hour. I focused on ginga, aul(sp?), negativa and ole(sp?) We finished with a roda, as always. I was sweating oceans by the end of class - loved it.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
6 / 25 - thai boxing

HARD sparring with coach. we both thought that we'd end up getting knocked out. He's got a fight coming up, and he definitely needed it. I've got one of the better chins in class and can dish out a lot of power myself, so when he wants to spar hard, it's usually me that he beats on. great stuff. We finished up with some speed bag and pad work.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 11:02 PM
6 / 27 - gym

a friend of mine is visiting from dallas, so I trained with her. Her weight routine is circuit based, which I hate, but I did it anyway, since the wanted me to work out with her.

leg press - 450 x 10 - 2 sets
lat pulldown 100 x 10 - 2 sets
squats - 315 x 10 - 2 sets
lateral raises - 30 x 10 - 2 sets
bench press - 225 x 10 - 2 sets
tricep pressdown - 70 x 10 - 2 sets
curls - 40 x 10 - 1 set, 50 x 8 - 1 set
calf raises 225 x 10 - 2 sets

we finished with some ukemi, as she is an aikidoka and wanted me to help her.

SevenStar
06-28-2005, 11:03 PM
6 / 28 - thai boxing

trained with coach - several rounds on the speed bag, heavy bag and focus mitts. I also spent several rounds just pounding the bag with my cross, and then several using only the hook.

SevenStar
07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
6 / 29 - thai boxing

lots of punching - again. We are really getting the newbs to correct their technique. We are doing lots of pad drills and such to do so. I just focused on hitting the pads as quickly and accurately as I possibly could. we ended class with some 5-10-5 drills. Afterward I put in rounds on the speed bag and heavy bag.

I had friends visiting from out of town, so I didn't stay for capoeira.

SevenStar
07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
6 / 30 - thai boxing

tonight I did cardio of a different nature.... not of a different nature, but of a different type. It wasn't a circuit, like they were used to. Tonight, it was all skill focused. We warmed up with two five minute rounds of jumping rope and other calesthenics. From there:

shadow boxing - 4 rounds

2 minute drills - squat thrusts, push ups, squat jumps, hindu pushups - 30 secs each - 2 rounds

thai pads - onsies, twosies - roundhouse kicks on the pads. 1 kick, then 2 kicks, then 3 kicks, then 4, finally 5. Then, work your way back down - 5 kicks, 4 kicks, etc. on each isde, then switched. We did this several times.

more calesthenics and ab work.

skip knees and other knee drills.

SevenStar
07-01-2005, 07:26 PM
7 / 1 - nothing today

I didn't do anything, however I received an email from one of the trainers at my gym - she has been put in charge of the group fitness activities and has asked me if I want to teach a thai boxing class for them. We're talking about it now, as she wants to start in august.

SevenStar
07-06-2005, 06:42 PM
7 / 2 - cultural arts demo

A few weeks ago, our school was asked to participate in a cultural arts day that was being thrown by one of the city libraries. Coach and I went first. I gave a 40 min synopsis of muay thai, it's traditions and techniques. The judo guys went next, and the capoeira guys finished it up. We each also gave demos of our respecitve arts, had audience participation, etc. It went really well. It has been suggested that we do this all over the city, which is something we may consider.

SevenStar
07-11-2005, 10:51 PM
7/8 - gym

so much has been going on lately that I haven't been able to workout at all. My wife's grandmother had a stroke last week, and she went up there to make sure she was okay, and to visit with her. I drove eight hours to go get her, then immediately drove 8 hours back - then went to my day job that same morning I returned, AND went worked at the club that night. I also work both tomorrow, and I am at the club on sunday, then leave there for the day job on monday - so I haven't been sleeping much.

I'm cool with not sleeping - I don't sleep much anyway - but stuff with her family and various other issues have been in the way of me and the iron. Next week, that should be back on track.

anyway, today I hit the bench, curls, dips and deads - I can definitely tell that I missed a few workouts - but once I'm back on track, my poundages will return to normal.

SevenStar
07-15-2005, 04:22 PM
7 / 12 - gym

ran a few miles today. Nothing fun or exciting.

SevenStar
07-15-2005, 04:24 PM
7 / 13 - thai boxing

lots of hand work. We drilled punches till are shoulders felt like they were going to just fall off. There was a new guy in class also - c0cky lil son of a fun. He's got a few months in thai and also some style of kung fu I've never heard of. He's a good guy, but real full of himself... I don't think he's experienced a good beating yet.

SevenStar
07-15-2005, 04:27 PM
7 / 14 - gym

lots of heavy lifting - deads, squats, curls and bench press. I'm not going as heavy as usualy yet though, just working back up to where I was.

SevenStar
07-15-2005, 04:30 PM
7 / 15 - thai boxing

we did the circuit thing tonight. class was small, so I only set up like seven stations:

shadowboxing
15-sec interval - punches, squats, pushups, squat thrusts
knees
speed bag
abs
heavy bag - kicks
heavy bag - punches

we ran this a few times and finished with ab work and 30 roundhouse kicks per leg on the thai pads.

SevenStar
07-15-2005, 04:31 PM
7 / 15 - I'm the next billy blanks??!??!

the gym asked me to teach some classes - they want a thai boxing class and a cardio kickboxing class. today i had to demo the cardio class for the staff. They seemed to enjoy it, so we'll see how it pans out. They want to start classes in august when they implement the new schedule.

SevenStar
07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
7 / 16 - thai boxing

we had open sparring today. Myself and a few of the newer guys showed up. It was a pretty good session. On the open sparring days, there is no instruction, we just glove up and go. I made a conscious effort to really work my slipping and head movement. This will likely be my goal for the next several sessions, until I get it where I feel it should be.

SevenStar
07-19-2005, 04:11 PM
7 / 15 - capoeira

once again, an awesome workout. I'm starting to learn a few new techniques now. I won't butcher the proper spelling, so I will say what they seem to be equivalent to - roundhouse, a foot sweep, inside crescent kick, spinning outside crescent kick, front thrust kick. So far, everything I'm learning / seeing, is the exact same as It's been taught to me in previous training, except it's done from the capoeira footwork, which can confuse the hell outta you. It's great though so far.

SevenStar
07-19-2005, 04:13 PM
7 / 18 - gym

I was pressed for time, so all I did today was chest work, but I did plenty of it. I had to share the bench with another gym rat though, so I was doing the same exercises he was doing, out of nicety... and he was a fan of declines. So, I did several sets of declines and flat bench presses today.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 12:58 PM
7 / 19 - tae bo....

yeah, yeah. Since I have to teach it, I picked up a couple of his dvds and I'm going to be doing them so I can get a feel for what they are wanting me to do. Regardless of how much I thought it sucked, it DOES make me break a decent sweat. I did 90 mins of the stuff tonight.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:00 PM
7 / 20 - gym

curls, bench, deads and squats. I'm still not in heavy mode, but I am moving back up to it. I was squatting with 330 and deading 275. Bench I kept fairly light at 235 and i was curling with 45-50.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:04 PM
7 / 21 - tae bo...

90 mins. I'm getting the hang of it now and am starting to compose the various combinations that I am going to use in the class.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
7 / 22 - capoeira

lots of sweat, lots of repetition, lots of sparring, lots of goodness. I started learning a type of back handspring tonight, which was awesome. can't remember what it was called though. I also focused on footwork and some basic combinations.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
7 / 23 - thai boxing

open mat sparring. So basically, we sparred for an hour and a half. Good stuff.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:12 PM
7 / 21 - thai boxing

opps - forgot to talk about this day. This was like the normal thurs class - we ran through a circuit. Afterward, we did combinations on the pads and ended the night with ab work and 5-10-5's

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:13 PM
7 / 25 - gym

military press, bench, squat. repeat.

SevenStar
07-27-2005, 01:14 PM
7 / 26 - tae bo...

nuff said.

rubthebuddha
07-27-2005, 06:23 PM
and what's left of sevenstar's street cred hopped on the jolly trolley and moved to weenieland.

Oso
07-27-2005, 08:05 PM
i dunno...I'd still say he could still beat both our asses...probably at the same time... :p

SevenStar
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
and what's left of sevenstar's street cred hopped on the jolly trolley and moved to weenieland.

yeah, this can't possibly be good for my street cred, but I swear I'm not wearing any of those retarded, glow in the dark outfits that blanks wears.

SevenStar
08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
8/8/ - it's been a while

I've been training, but I haven't been posting any of it here due to an increased work load. I'm going to start posting them again asap. lifting is going pretty good though, and I've been regular with capoeira and thai boxing. I'm bouncing like four nights a week now, and that has been majorly interfering with judo and bjj, but I'll get back to them when I can.

SevenStar
09-27-2005, 11:47 AM
9/26/05 - muay thai

I haven't been blogging - we got 4 new guys in my area and I am responsible for training them. consequently, I have an increased workload between my work, theirs and answering their questions.

Anyway, last night, we worked footwork and hands. A lot of footwork and a lot of boxing, which we are going to be focusing on for a while. After class I did a few rounds of mitt drills with one of the other coaches.

I also got offered a fight in december, so It's time to kick the training up a notch. I don't know much about it yet, other than it's in dec. I also got offered one the last week of october, but I am expecting a baby that week, so I couldn't accept it.

brothernumber9
09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
"Dempsheee Rrrolllllllll!!!!!!!!!"

SevenStar
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
9 / 28 - gym

hit the weights, but kept it light. For the next 4 weeks or so I am going to be focusing more on muscular endurance.

bench press
135 x 10 - 1 set
185 x 12 - 2 sets
205 x 10 - 2 sets
205 x 7 - 2 sets

cleans
135 x 10 - 3 sets

T - pushups
15 x 10 - 3 sets

SevenStar
09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
9/29/05 - muay thai

Tonight I had the class run a circuit consisting of the following:

shadow boxing
skip knees
double end bag
crunches
punching the heavy bag
t pushups / squats - interval

we ran the circuit twice, then broke out the focus mitts.

SevenStar
10-04-2005, 02:36 PM
9/30/05 - cardio

ran 2.5 miles today. hated every bit of it.

SevenStar
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
10/1 - gym

in keeping with my plan, I kept it fairly light tonight with moderately high reps. I performed

bench press
squats
curls
dips

in several sets of of 8-12.

SevenStar
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
10/2 - cardio-

Another not so fun run of 2.5 miles.

SevenStar
10-12-2005, 10:20 AM
spent the last few days preparing to go out of town, then actually left this weekend. I made it to the gym yesterday though, and hit the weights. I benched 205 for reps, squatted 315 for reps, did a few sets of dips and did dumbell curls with 50lbs for reps.

SevenStar
10-12-2005, 03:22 PM
10/11 - gym

today I hit the bench again, along with deads, pullups and dips. I'm working them for reps as per the first cycle of my regimen.

bench - 215 x 8 - 10
squats - 315 x 10
dips - sets of 10
pullups - sets of 2 - 5

SevenStar
10-13-2005, 02:04 PM
10 / 12 - thai boxing

after the standard warmup we went straight into working hands. lots of boxing combinations. we ended by adding some kicks to the combinations. Afterward, we split - two coaches had the beginners (we have an assload of them now) and I went with the advanced guys. One of them has an MMA fight coming up, so we were working mitts and doing various drills.

SevenStar
10-13-2005, 02:27 PM
10 / 12 - capoeira

standard warm up, which consists of about 15 mins of various non-ending calesthenics. One thing I have to give them credit for is the great shape they are constantly in. after warmup, we drilled combinations - ginga / negativa / role, ginga / negativa / role / aul, reverse rashteira (can't remember the full name) / role / negativa / role / aul and a few others.

After that, we drilled takedowns (yes, takedowns) and ended with play in the roda.

SevenStar
10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
10 / 13 - thai boxing

conditioning tonight. I had the following set up:

circuit 1:
shadow boxing
skip knees
double end bag
abs
kicks on heavybag1
punches on heavybag2
15 sec mini interval - punches, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, squats

2 mins per station.

then we moved on to some pad drill - 5 - 10 - 5's for four reps.

Next was circuit 2. This time the rounds were only one minute, with only 30 seconds of rest:

jumping jacks
squats
rapid punching
squat thrusts
t - pushups
jump squats

we ended with ab work and a round of mitt drills.

SevenStar
10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
10 / 15 - thai boxing

I've been giving private lessons to someone every saturday for the past few months. today was just another typical training day for us except for one thing - I took an old heavy bag and had her run around the room, dragging it behind her. She did really well, but is now (10/17) extremely sore from it.

SevenStar
10-18-2005, 01:41 PM
10 / 17 - thai boxing

tonight we spent the first half of class training boxing techniques and drilling them with a partner. We focused on the hook and uppercut. Later we added some kicks into the mix and ended with light sparring. After class, some of the more experienced guys stayed after for more sparring. It was a decent session, but we had a guy get KOed by a leg kick. He went to get checked out though, and he's okay.

SevenStar
10-19-2005, 01:41 PM
10 / 18 - gym

squats
315 x 10 - 3 sets
225 x 10 - 1 set

bench
135 x 10 - 1 set
225 x 7 - 2 sets
215 x 7 - 1 set
205 x 8 - 1 set

dumbbell curls
55lbs x 5 - 1 set
45lbs x 9 - 2 sets
40lbs x 10 - 1 set

That was it for today... way too short on time.

SevenStar
10-21-2005, 12:36 PM
10 / 20 - muay thai

jump rope - 2rds x 4min each

shadowboxing - 4rds x 2min

heavy bag - punches - 4rds x 2min - interval - 30 secs normal, 30 secs full speed / power

double end bag - 4rds x 2min

knees - 4rds x 2min

elbows and knees - 4rds x 2min

abs

thai pad drills - 5-10-5's

SevenStar
11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
The last two weeks have been fairly interesting, even though i really haven't trained much. The week before last - 10/24 - 10/28 I had jury duty. When the lawyers questioned the jurors looking for bodies to sit on the trial, It came out that I have a second job as a bouncer. After that, they grilled me with questions. Turns out the case was about a stabbing that happened outside of a local club. I ended up getting picked and it was a really interesting week...

That weekend, my wife went into labor. Our son was born on Halloween, and as a result, I took off all last week. Today I made it back to the gym and hit bench and squats for 5 x 5, and I did three sets of curls. Tomorrow I will be back on schedule with thai and capoeira.

On a side note, this past weekend I bought def jam: fight for NY. Love it. I've been playing it for hours at a time since I haven't been in class.

SevenStar
11-11-2005, 12:56 PM
11/9 - thai boxing

boxing and knees were the name of the game tonight. We worked them in various combinations, then put them together into offensive and defensive drills. We spent the last 30 mins of class sparring. After class ended, I put in 2 rounds on the heavy bag and several rounds on the double end bag.

SevenStar
11-11-2005, 01:48 PM
11/10 - thai boxing

WTF??!??! Nobody showed for my conditioning class tonight. Consequently, coach and I did some training on our own. We did some sparring, worked the double end bag and also the heavy bag, preceeded by jumping rope. I found out today that one of the guys from our sister gym in denmark is gonna be coming down for the next four months to train us. So for the next four months, I get to be a student again. Gonna be a great four months.

I'm not going to capoeira tonight. One of my guys is having his first fight, so I'm going down to support him.

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 03:02 PM
11/11 - fight night.

He had his fight tonight. He won by decision. He put up a great fight, expecially for his first time, but I think he coulda ended it much sooner - he was hesitant with his combos and wasn't throwing full power on his crosses. All in all though, he did great and will be back in the gym next week.

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
11/13 - thai boxing

I have a student that is taking private lessons. She cancelled on me saturday, but we trained today instead. we did a typical warm up, followed by lots of footwork and drilling her jab. cross and hook. I gave her an intro to knees and also bobbing and weaving.

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
11/14 - gym

squats and bench press ruled the day.

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
11/14 - thai boxing

hands, hands, and more hands. We worked boxing all night. Following class, I worked on the double end bag for several rounds.

SevenStar
11-15-2005, 03:09 PM
11/15 - gym

bleh... ran three miles. Gag me.

SevenStar
11-17-2005, 03:11 PM
11/16 - thai boxing

worked boxing again. a lot of the newbs really need the hand work, so we've been focusing on it. I focused specifically on hooking strikes and getting them to turn their body into them.

SevenStar
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
11/16 - capoeira

capoeira kicked my ass tonight. We ran for 20 mins, followed by 220 crunches, 70 pushups and various other calesthenics (the warm up wasn't that bad). we immediately broke off into ginga practice, then trained combinations up and down the floor. we worked ginga / feinta / meia lua / au / negativa / role first - yes, that is all one long combo. we also worked ginga / skip step / ginga , ginga / feinta / ginga and ginga / au / negativa / role.

for line drills, we worked with bencao, and a combo with meia lua and meia lua de frenta. We ended classe with play in the roda.

I earned a nickname (everyone gets one eventually) Because I am muscular yet very agile, they call me "besta", or beast, after hank mccoy (beast of the x-men)

SevenStar
11-21-2005, 12:53 PM
11/19 - thai boxing

today was a good, long day of training. I ran the sparring class today, which was held for an hour and a half. We began with warmups, shadowboxing and padwork and finished up with plenty of sparring. As soon as that class ended, I had a private lesson with someone. We did the normal warmup followed by jumping rope, shadow boxing, technique work and sparring.

SevenStar
11-23-2005, 11:33 AM
11/22/05 - gym

chest and legs - I hit several sets of squats, bench and t pushups. My bench has plateaued, though... I gotta overcome it. A co-worker of mine used to powerlift and told me he had a good bench program to try. I guess I can give it a shot.

SevenStar
11-23-2005, 11:35 AM
11/23 - gym

pulling motions today - pullups, power cleans and deads. Fun!!

SevenStar
11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
11/28/05 - thai boxing

I'm back from the thanksgiving holiday now. A buddy of mine, mike pyle is teaching the classes this week, and last night was pretty good. We worked hands alot. There are a lot of new guys in class, so it was definitely necessary. we also worked some basic counterfighting. We worked up a good sweat and after class I did a little sparring with another one of the instructors.

yenhoi
11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
do you have a capoeira lingo list somewhere for the uninitiated?

we worked ginga / feinta / meia lua / au / negativa / role first - yes, that is all one long combo. we also worked ginga / skip step / ginga , ginga / feinta / ginga and ginga / au / negativa / role.

:confused: :o :confused:

SevenStar
12-01-2005, 03:52 PM
I really didn't think anyone was still reading this. I'll find one.

yenhoi
12-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Gracias...

;)

SevenStar
12-02-2005, 10:58 AM
12/1 - thai boxing

we spent the majority of class working on stringing together punck and kick combinations. naturally, we were able to do this while working up a sweat so that everyone got a decent workout. After class, I did some light sparring, then headed to capoeira.

SevenStar
12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
12/1 - capoeira

after the typical 15 - 20 mins we spend running and doing various calesthenics, we moved into drilling three basic kicks - meia lua de frente (inside crescent kick, basically), martello (roundhouse) and bencao (front thrust kick) Next was line drills cosisting of a simple combo of au / negativa / role. We ended class with play in the roda.

Since I am now aware that people are still reading this, I want an opinion on something - I am thinking about getting a tat across my back. My idea is a capoerista fighting a thai boxer in a roda (circle) of fire. In the background, a judoka will be watching. Would that be too busy and cluttered, or would it be cool?

SevenStar
12-02-2005, 12:20 PM
12 / 2 - thai boxing

with this being holiday season, class attendance isn't that great... That's normal. Only two people showed tonight, so the other coach and I spent one on one time with each of them. I had them doing some advanced mitt drills and light sparring with me.

SevenStar
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
do you have a capoeira lingo list somewhere for the uninitiated?

we worked ginga / feinta / meia lua / au / negativa / role first - yes, that is all one long combo. we also worked ginga / skip step / ginga , ginga / feinta / ginga and ginga / au / negativa / role.

:confused: :o :confused:

negative / role can be seen here, as well as meia lua:

http://www.capoeiraartsny.com/movies.htm

Here, you can see the ginga, and a takedown called rasteira:

http://www.capoeiraartsny.com/movies2.htm

Here is another, but this is not how we do our negativa:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.martialonline.net/am/am.php%3Fs_code%3Dcapoeira%26page%3Dtechniques.php&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcapoeira%2Btechniques%26start%3D20%26 hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

here are some animated gifs of some of the flashy techniques - much of what you see on tv today. These aren't as prominent (not by us anyway) in the roda.

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.martialonline.net/am/am/capoeira/gifs/gifs.php&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcapoeira%2Btechniques%26start%3D20%26 hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

yehnhoi, check out this link and look at the technique called vingativa. Doesn't the throw itself remind you of kinjit kepala?

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/cap-basics.html

yenhoi
12-02-2005, 09:14 PM
wow. great links. how did i miss those before?

you dont play judo anymore?

how will people know the guy watching is a judoka instead of some weirdo karate guy? are you planing to use ryu's avatar? :D

Im entertaining a tatoo on my chest of an epic battle. some kinda braveheart/prophecy/lord of the rings type thing. :eek:

I am impressed with the capoeira drills. My teacher plays drums when we "do kali."

I was blogging at emptyflower a year or so ago until the weirdos chased us "mma types" off.

:o

yenhoi
12-02-2005, 09:19 PM
all of the capoeira feels very silat-y to me. the idea of sneakyness and deception in the vulnerable appearing postures etc is very indonesian-like.

id say. mucho bueno.

;)

yenhoi
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
also all the "saluting/hair-combing" motions.

:p

AndrewS
12-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Sevenstar,

that design sounds challenging- if you had all three elements- judoka watching thai boxer playing w/ capoeria guy roughly similarly sized, balancing each other, inside said ring of fire it could probably work, maybe with some some kanji or background from japanese print art by the judoka, thai script and a temple in back or other obviously thai element by the thai boxer, and, umm, a cute brazillian tranny by the capoeria guy ;-) it could work.

My advice- find the best artist you can and drop whatever it takes- don't try to do this on the cheap; you'll regret it. Think your piece through long and hard, and look at a lot of art to figure out what you like

My ink
<http://fkirkalley.com/andrew_lrg_pg.htm>

My fiancee's

<http://fkirkalley.com/hope_lrg_page.htm>

Kirk's page

<fkirkalley.com>

Andrew

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to talk you into this.

SevenStar
12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
you dont play judo anymore?

Not as often as I'd like. Since I started this second job, I am always working on tues, and on thurs, I teach the thai class - which runs at the same time as the judo class.

how will people know the guy watching is a judoka instead of some weirdo karate guy? are you planing to use ryu's avatar? :D

They wouldn't. :( Maybe I should write "judoka" above his head? ;)

Im entertaining a tatoo on my chest of an epic battle. some kinda braveheart/prophecy/lord of the rings type thing. :eek:

That would be cool.

I was blogging at emptyflower a year or so ago until the weirdos chased us "mma types" off.

For some reason, that doesn't surprise me. What were they doing to chase you guys off?

SevenStar
12-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Sevenstar,

that design sounds challenging- if you had all three elements- judoka watching thai boxer playing w/ capoeria guy roughly similarly sized, balancing each other, inside said ring of fire it could probably work, maybe with some some kanji or background from japanese print art by the judoka, thai script and a temple in back or other obviously thai element by the thai boxer, and, umm, a cute brazillian tranny by the capoeria guy ;-) it could work.

My advice- find the best artist you can and drop whatever it takes- don't try to do this on the cheap; you'll regret it. Think your piece through long and hard, and look at a lot of art to figure out what you like

My ink
<http://fkirkalley.com/andrew_lrg_pg.htm>

My fiancee's

<http://fkirkalley.com/hope_lrg_page.htm>

Kirk's page

<fkirkalley.com>

Andrew

P.S. Yes, I'm trying to talk you into this.

Adding the kanji / temple, tranny, etc in the background is an awesome idea - I hadn't thought of that.

Nice Designs, BTW. I like the way your fiancee had the bat incorporated into the (scarab?)

yenhoi
12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
They just *****ed and talked ****, H20dragen got tired of em and left too.

I was just showing (then) how much different and not-different our Kali training was to the sc/mma dudes also blogging. Same idea nowadays, anyways.

:eek:

AndrewS
12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
If you're doing a back piece, you're looking at a good bit of space- you'll need some background. For the judo guy, you could use the kanji for judo, or kanji for an applicable Jigaro Kano quote- that could be cool. Also- think about how the piece is gonna relate to your body and motion- the composition should work with the canvas.

You're right, that's a scarab- in the style of Lalique's jewelry, if it matters. Both she and I are big Deco fans (hence, my Aubrey Beardsley piece). The rework was kinda necessary- she was gonna wound me if I asked her if she wanted a bacardi cooler one more time.

Good luck,

Andrew

SevenStar
12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
12 / 5 - thai boxing

we had a lot of new students tonight - like 10 of them. I guess this is the new year's resolution crowd starting early. We separated the class and the head coach worked with the newbs. jeremy and I worked with the more advanced guys. We worked hand combinations and various partner drills to reinforce them. After class I sparred with a relative newb who was trying to figure out strategies of getting inside of his opponent.

SevenStar
12-07-2005, 04:07 PM
12 / 6 - gym

the gym was unusually crowded today - I guess the new year's resolution people are starting early here too. Consequently, EVERYTHING was taken, and the stupid jerks spent most of their time talking, so nothing was available. I did manage to snatch the squat rack when someone walked away from it, and spent my time doing squats and later dumbell curls.

squats
225 x 10 - 2 sets
345 x 7 - 4 sets

curls
40 x 8 - 1 set
55 x 5 - 1set
45 x 6 - 2 sets

Not to mention that I was short on time. That's okay though, there will be other days...

yenhoi
12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Gonna build a squat rack in my garage. And a roman chair. Found a welder finally.

;)

SevenStar
12-09-2005, 12:04 PM
sweet. I wouldn't mind having one, but of course I gotta get a house first...

SevenStar
12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
12 / 8 - thai boxing

bunch of chumps.... none of them showed up for conditioning tonight, so I was on my own. I put in 4 rounds on the heavy bag, 2 rounds on the double end bag and did 4 rounds of shadow boxing. Afterward, coach's wife showed (she does thai boxing and judo) and she held pads for me for 7 rounds and we did some light sparring.

SevenStar
12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
12 / 12 - gym

bench press
135 x 10 x 1
245 x 5 x 5

curls
40 x 10 x 1
45 x 8 x 1
50 x 5 x 2
55 x 3 x 1

squats
225 x 10 x 1
345 x 5 x 5

SevenStar
12-14-2005, 03:33 PM
12 / 14 - gym

bench press
135 x 10 x 1
250 x 5 x 5

squats
225 x 10 x 1
350 x 5 x 5

SevenStar
12-16-2005, 01:47 PM
12 / 15 - thai boxing

I accepted a student today, free of charge. She was training with the kempo guys, but doesn't have the money to renew, and she's been interested in mt for awhile, but couldn't afford to do both. She likes to work, but I've got to break some of her kempo habits. Anyway, here's what we did:

shadowboxing - 3 rounds
double end bag - 3 rounds
heavy bag - 3 rounds
focus mitts - 3 rounds
light sparring - 3 rounds

SevenStar
12-19-2005, 12:22 PM
12 / 17 - thai boxing

I taught two classes today - the sparrng class and a private student.

In the sparring class, we did the usual warm ups, followed by

4 rounds of shadowboxing
1 round thai pads
4 rounds focus mitts
3 rounds kicks on the bag

we ended with sparring.

The session with the private student was a similar format, minus the sparring. She has really come a long way since we first started training. I want have her in a ring no later than next year.

SevenStar
12-21-2005, 10:51 AM
12 / 19 - thai boxing

we began with working kicks and let that lead into punch / kick combinations. We drilled these combinations with a partner for several rounds and ended the night with sparring. After class, I spent a few rounds on the heavy bag. I was just playing around and mixed MT and capoeira, so I was doing my knees, elbows, etc. from a ginga, and added in negative / role and bencao. It felt pretty good, actually.

SevenStar
12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
12 /21 - thai boxing

Thai boxing class? What thai boxing class? I guess it's too close to christmas - nobody showed up today. However, I did play around with a few of the kempo guys that were there - about 30 of them showed up, since today was their last class for a while.

SevenStar
12-22-2005, 03:51 PM
12 / 21 - gym

who the h311 told people to do curls on a smith rack? Why do they want to take up my frickin time??!??! If there was anyone that I could freely walk up to and kick in the crotch, it would be these guys...

Anyway, when he moved, I was able to do my squats.

bench
255 x 5 x 5

squats
355 x 5 x 5

curls
40 x 10 x 1
55 x 5 x 5

dips
BW x 10 x 5

SevenStar
12-22-2005, 04:10 PM
12 / 21 - capoeira

In similar fashion the the thai class, nobody really showed. two other guys showed and the instructor was there. The other two guys and I are pretty big, so tonight we did lots of upper body stuff - au de cabeza - cartwheels on the head, hand stands, au and something that I can't spell... We worked on these things for a little over half of the class time, and spent the last half of class working legs - negativa, negativa / esquiva / negativa and negativa role

SevenStar
01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
1 / 4 - gym

I found out that the gym is gonna be having an "iron man" contest. They are going to have several events, of which it's required that all competitors compete in at least 4. I think the four I am going to enter are bench press, squat, number of pushups in a minute and number of crunches in a minute. I'm in constant training anyway, but I will have to do extra to win this. I know for a fact that nobody in the gym can touch me in the squat, but I will have competition for the other events. Anyway, here's what I did in the gym yesterday:

bench - 255 x 5 x 5, 135 x 1 x 10
squat - 365 x 5 x 4, 225 x 1 x 10
curls - 45 x 2 x 8, 40 x 1 x 10

SevenStar
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
1 / 4 - thai boxing

last night in thai boxing, we worked a lot of boxing techniques and ended with some kicking techniques. After class, I did some sparring with a few of the newer guys.

SevenStar
01-05-2006, 10:18 AM
1 / 4 - capoeira

The capoeira class was grueling as usual. We began with the usual warm up and focused on a lot of low to the ground, upperbody work - handstands, au, au de cabeza, queda je hin (dunno how to spell that one), negativa / role, handstands to queda je hin and a lot of other stuff.we finished off with an open roda, angola style.

SevenStar
01-10-2006, 02:32 PM
1 / 9 - gym

bench 135 x 1 x 10, 265 x 4 x 5

squat 225 x 1 x 8, 370 x 5 x 5

curls 50 x 5 x 5

SevenStar
03-03-2006, 11:14 AM
dayum, it's been a while since I posted on this thing. yesterday I put in the following:

jumping rope - 2rds x 4min
shadow boxing - 4rds x 3 mins
heavy bag - 3rds x 3mins
double end bag- 3rds x 3mins
situps with medicine ball - 2rds x 2mins
focus mitts - 3rds x 3mins
sparring - 3rds x 3mins
throwing medicine ball into the abs - 2rds x 2 mins

SevenStar
03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
3/7

shadowboxing - 10 rounds
several sets of pushups
several sets of dips

I kinda slacked today, but still broke a sweat

SevenStar
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
3/8 - muay thai

during class we worked some counterfighting - using lead leg kicks against the jab and the cross. After class I sparred several rounds with one of the intermediate students and put in four rounds on the heavy bag. I also spent some time throwing a 6lb medicine ball with my kid.

SevenStar
03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
3/9 - muay thai

jumping rope - 2rds x 4min
shadow boxing - 4rds x 3 mins
heavy bag - 3rds x 3mins
double end bag- 2rds x 3mins
interval - squats / jumping jacks - 2 rounds
situps with medicine ball - 2rds x 2mins
focus mitts - 3rds x 3mins
sparring - 3rds x 3mins
throwing medicine ball into the abs - 2rds x 2 mins

SevenStar
03-15-2006, 11:55 AM
3/13 muay thai -

boxing, lots of boxing. Tonight we drilled our hands and footwork for most of class - angles were the name of the game. We worked circling and basic counterfighting and using those tools to establish a dominant angle from which to attack. We finished up with some interval training. Afterward, I sparred several rounds with one of the intermediate students.

SevenStar
03-15-2006, 11:59 AM
3/14 - muay thai

tonight coach and I were working with noel and jp - noel has his first fight coming up in april. We drilled hands and footwork, worked the mitts and the heavy bag. jp has one fight under his belt, but he's WAY too stiff. we're trying to find a way to get him to relax, as after almost a year of training, he is still unable to. Somehow though, he makes his stiffness work for him. we also had jp focus on footwork and hand techniques.

SevenStar
03-21-2006, 04:01 PM
3/16 muay thai -

nobody showed up for the conditioning class tonight - focking slackers. I was on my own, but put in a decent amount of work.

5 rounds of each:
heavy bag
shadow boxing
double end bag

jump rope
2 rds, 4 min each

abs

SevenStar
03-21-2006, 04:04 PM
3/19 - teacher's meeting

nothing special here for the most part. just school business. However, we decided that due to the recent lack of participation in the conditioning class that it would be turned into an invitation only advanced training / fight prep class. we will spend more time training the guys on advanced topics we can't always get to in class with the influx of beginners and give the guys who fight an extra day of hard training.

SevenStar
03-21-2006, 04:05 PM
3/20 muay thai -

worked boxing, focusing on the uppercut. spent the last half of class drilling the roundhouse kick.

after class I put in a couple rounds of sparring, 2 rounds on the heavy bag and 5 rounds on the double end bag.

ewallace
03-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Ever get the feeling you are talking to yourself Seven? :)

rubthebuddha
03-22-2006, 11:40 AM
i'm listening, e-dub. i'm making sure he doesn't go off on one of his porn-posting tirades again.

SevenStar
03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, it was only that once. Who knew MK's girl was that hot?

yenhoi
03-22-2006, 06:49 PM

SevenStar
03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
3 / 22 - gym

there's been a distinct lack of iron in my life over the past several weeks, which I put an end to today. since it's been so long, I didn't go heavy, but it still felt good to lift again.

squats
225 x 4 x 10

bench
225 x 4 x 7

dips
3 x 10

dumbell curls
40 x 4 x 10

rubthebuddha
03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
about time you did some lifties, you big hippie. ****es me off that your light day for bench and squats is an ugly day for me. :mad:

Vash
03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Fug you all, I squatted 300lbs once. And only once.

On the plus, I can snatch with decent form :)

SevenStar
03-27-2006, 12:12 PM
what did you say about your snatch?

SevenStar
03-27-2006, 12:15 PM
3 / 22 - muay thai

my right arm was bothering me, so I didn't put a whole lot of work in:

5 rounds double end bag
5 rounds shadow boxing
5 rounds heavy bag
3 rounds jump rope
abs

the rest of the time, I fed mitts for the guys that showed and had them run through some calesthenics and neck wrestling.

SevenStar
03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
3 / 27 gym

Vash, this one's for you, buddy. I hit the weights a little heavier today, still not trying to rush into anything. My legs felt decent, but my right arm is still giving me fits, so I still kept it light on the bench.

bench
135 x 1 x 10
235 x 4 x 7

squats
225 x 1 x 8
365 x 4 x 7

curls
45 x 1 x 21's

SevenStar
03-29-2006, 10:25 AM
3 / 27 - muay thai

worked the newbs on the pads - various boxing drills, followed by hand and foot drills. after class, I put in about 7 rounds of sparring with coach, 2 with one of the intermediates and one with another intermediate.

SevenStar
04-03-2006, 10:50 PM
3/28 - muay thai

jump rope
2 rounds x 4 mins

circuit training x 2 cycles
shadowboxing
skip knees
double end bag
interval bodyweight work
heavy bag

neck wrestling

5-10-5s

mitt drills

SevenStar
04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
3/29 gym

I was in the gym today and had to share the weight plates with another group of guys that was using the bench next to me. That screwed my whole workout. I guess something is better than nothing though.

bench
135 x 1 x 10
235 x 3 x 7
275 x 1 x 3

my arm is still nagging me, so I didn't try to do any more than one set with 275. I WILL break 300 by the end of summer though.

squat
225 x 1 x 10
315 x 3 x 8

I couldn't get more than 315 cuz the guys next to me had the other plates I needed and I didn't feel like piling on all those lighter plates to equal the weight of the bigger ones I needed.

curls
40 x 3 x 8

SevenStar
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
4 / 3 muay thai

found out tonight that noel slaughtered his guy in a fight over the weekend. his opponent had been training for 5 years, and noel has only been with us for about 8 months. He did a bang up job.

lotsa drilling tonight, boxing and knees. after class, I put in several rounds on the heavy bag and double end bag.

SevenStar
04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
all of last week was completely awesome. I was off all week. Coincidentally, we had a thai instructor from denmark in town for a seminar. His name is brian talerek. He is the promoter of denmark's viking fight and runs one of denmark's better gyms. Anyway, I basically trained twice a day the whole week. Brian gave private seminar's for the coaches only during the day, and he ran the normal classes in the evening. It was great.

Since I was off I didn't make it to the workplace gym, however, I found out that our school has a deal with the gym across the street - we can work out there for free! So I got over there with the other two coaches on wednesday and pumped a lot of iron.

rubthebuddha
04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
jealous of ^^^^.