PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to make a cheap target for throwing knives?

IronFist
10-18-2001, 09:44 PM
I just acquired a set, and I have nothing to throw them at. I'm thinking a bunch of flattened cardboard boxes would work. What do you think?

Iron

Water Dragon
10-18-2001, 09:47 PM
You don't even have to flatten the box. Just put it on a table and throw the **** knife :D

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

IronFist
10-18-2001, 09:48 PM
wouldn't it go through the target? These are kinda big knives... 10.5" long.

Iron

Water Dragon
10-18-2001, 10:08 PM
Fill the box with old towels

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Kung Lek
10-18-2001, 10:15 PM
By a pumpkin, tis the season for them.

as you get better work your way down to apples and when you get really good, use grapes :D

just kidding. But pumpkins and watermelons work great and you can eat them after wards!

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

JWTAYLOR
10-18-2001, 10:17 PM
3/4 inch plywood is what I use. I cut out my own soloette in 3/4 in plywood, have my wife paint on a suit on it, and go to town. I throw for about 1/2 an hour once a week, and I usually take a couple of "walk by" throws here and there as well. I go through a couple of peices a year in plywood. You can throw as hard as you want, and although you will often peirce the plywood, it is very unlikely your blade with go through and continue on.

Just to brag, as long as I'm under about 25' I can hit anything within about 3 inches. That includes right hand and left hand, pitching style, side arm, and even underhanded. Moreover, I can hit in the torso area almost every single time at a run.

Self taught and it's the best meathod I've ever found for practical throwing. Throw it like a base ball and point your finger where you want it to go. I've had a radar on one throw clock my knife moving 86mph.

What knives are you throwing with? I would highly recommend the mid sized Gil Hibben throwers. But I would not recommend his throwing meathod, not for practical throwing that is.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

JWTAYLOR
10-18-2001, 10:19 PM
Oh, and I paint on the suit because the tie shows me right were the throat is, the pocket gives me reference for the heart, the belt buckle and pockets give reference for the belly and groin.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

IronFist
10-18-2001, 10:21 PM
Pumpkins smell when you cut them. I don't want that ****e on my knives.

JWT, I won them on ebay. Haha, here is a pic
http://home.adelphia.net/~swords/images/S105.JPG

They're not sharp on the sides :( I thought they were. Oh well. The point is sharp. They're 10.5" and pretty heavy, I don't know the exact weight tho.

Iron

PS. I'll try to find a piece of wood for here, but I'm in a dorm room so it may be a bit awkward.

Kung Lek
10-18-2001, 10:21 PM
jwt-
do you find the hard surface of wood is hard on the blade? just curious, i used to throw mine into plywood also, but over time the tips would get a "little" worn.

using melons does no damage at all to the blade, but i guess the melon bill would get high for an avid thrower :D not to mention you would get sick of eating melons.

peace

Kung Lek

JWTAYLOR
10-18-2001, 10:28 PM
Yep, I've got practice blades and non practice blades. I'd say I go through a knife a year. But they're only $20 or so.

JWT

apoweyn
10-18-2001, 10:32 PM
i draped an old carpet over a tree branch, underside out. worked pretty well.

Shaolin36
10-18-2001, 10:40 PM
I used Foam, (eperan)It is like styrofoam but more resiliant and doesnt chip. Everytime you pull a knife out the hole reseals. Paint silhouettes and throw.

Shaolin36

IronFist
10-18-2001, 10:42 PM
$20? Mine were 3 for $15 :)

Iron

Jaguar Wong
10-18-2001, 10:44 PM
Wow, there sure are a lot of throwin' freaks in here. I've really been contemplating it for a while now, but everytime I mention it to my wife (as a gift suggestion), she just smirks, and asks what I really could use. :p

Anyway, Just yesterday, I was browsing the topic on the internet (as I always do when I'm bored), so I find it to be quite a coincidence that my B-Day is coming up and All this knife throwing info is just dropping into my lap.

Does anyone here have any throwing spike experience? That seems pretty interesting as well.

Jaguar Wong

JWTAYLOR
10-18-2001, 10:45 PM
You get what you pay for ;)

JWT

IronFist
10-18-2001, 10:46 PM
I buy what I can afford. I'm in college, remember.

Iron

IronFist
10-18-2001, 10:47 PM
Jaguar, check eBay. Huge variety of throwing knives and spikes. But, just check a few retail sites, too, to make sure you're getting a good deal.

Iron

cwheelie
10-18-2001, 10:55 PM
His name is timmy and he's my little brother. Ask your mom for one now!

Jaguar Wong
10-18-2001, 11:04 PM
Screw Ebay! not after the crap you got :p
hehe, I'm not talking about buying the stuff (I've already been doing some research on that, but I will add Ebay to my list). I was talking about techniques, bad habits, and crap like that. I can get targets cheap too. We've got a lot of neighborhood kids running around all the time. Great moving targets if you ask me :eek:

Jaguar Wong

Kung Lek
10-18-2001, 11:10 PM
IronFist- You have taken a step in being a "Ch'an Man"

quote: "I buy what I can afford"

hahahahahahaha, very zen dude. :D

Melons! use the melons! Mlons are good for you.
Jag, kids are not good targets. That's just evil dude :D
peace

Kung Lek

Jaguar Wong
10-18-2001, 11:17 PM
Cats! I meant Cats!

Jaguar Wong

Jaguar Wong
10-18-2001, 11:17 PM
....Actually I meant kids.... :o

Jaguar Wong

IronFist
10-19-2001, 12:08 AM
Screw Ebay! not after the crap you got

What crap did I get? They're not that bad.

IronFist- You have taken a step in being a "Ch'an Man"
quote: "I buy what I can afford"

I don't get it. I think I'm retarded.

Iron

Stranger
10-19-2001, 12:25 AM
I was always told to stay away from plywood because it is too springy and the threat of bounce back injuries is much greater.

Tree rounds are durable, cheap, and allow for safe sticks.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Stranger
10-19-2001, 12:36 AM
If you carry throwers around or are learning knife throwing as a demo activity, training with throwers is fine.

Once you get minimal time under your belt, you should switch to knives you carry and knives that are readily accessable in your everyday environment.

Good throwers (not me) can throw combat knives, kitchen knives, axes, shovels, coat hangers, large nails, etc. with deadly precision. If you learn the skill for its combat application, you need to be able to throw knives you will have during combat (which admittedly may well include throwers in some case).

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

SifuAbel
10-19-2001, 12:33 PM
http://www.aci.net/schaefer/img276.gif

I like the spikes too. Ignore the little ones on the far left.

Foam covered plywood is keen. Take two plywood boards and fill three inches of foam between them. After it sets take the top board out and you have a smooth flat surface.

Here's trick question for you. The blade throw; how many turns do you think it takes? anyone?

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

SifuAbel
10-19-2001, 12:35 PM
E.G. brand is better than Gil Hibben for these type of knives. E.G. is thicker and has a tougher point. Follows the pic location for pricing.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com
http://www.aci.net/schaefer/page145.html

SifuAbel
10-19-2001, 12:44 PM
http://www.wurfmesser.de/start_english.html

http://www.wurfmesser.de/images/silberpfeil.gif

http://www.wurfmesser.de/images/nieto_klein.gif

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

Stranger
10-19-2001, 03:40 PM
#195 is an SOE/OSS sleeve dagger. Note the triangular blade (so the wound won't close) and blood grooves (so the spike doesn't get stuck inside the BG). Cool ****e.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

DrunkenMonkey
10-19-2001, 07:07 PM
find a big hardwood log and cut a it perpendicular to the grain to get a 1 foot wide chunk. Reinforce the log by binding it with twine and possibly cloth tape.

put a piece of steel sheet metal behind it and hook it to the side of your house in the backyard or on a sturdy wall or something.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Stranger
10-19-2001, 07:17 PM
That's a "tree round", modified, but one nonetheless. ;)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

SifuAbel
10-19-2001, 07:39 PM
http://www.throwzini.com/jkoch_diamond.html

http://www.throwzini.com/jkoch_diamond1.jpg

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com
f

EARTH DRAGON
10-19-2001, 09:12 PM
Im sure this has been said but I checked the neighborhood for the town workers to taking down a tree with a 4'chain saw and just asked if he could cut me a slice to make a play table for my kids! if you ask that way no one will say no as opposed to hey dude can I have a piece of that to throw my knives at!

also willow or poplar worked well pine and oak didnt. If you are as lucky as I was your piece will be from a old tree mine is 3' and a half feet across and with it that big no need for plywood mounting! unless you have really bad aim LOL good luck

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

SifuAbel
10-19-2001, 09:33 PM
The foam on good wood is still a good idea. You reduce noise to almost nothing. And, it saves your tips from breaking by overshot throws and you won't get a bend to the blade. Another plus to foam is you can later analyze your throw by how it entered the foam. Exp. Overshot is when it sticks point downward, move in a bit to compensate. Up tips are undershot, move back a bit to compensate. 1/2 rotation blade shots are the easiest starter shot do practice.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

jaz1069
10-19-2001, 10:48 PM
When I was I kid I used my dad's garage door as a back board for my throwing stars...that lasted a day.

Go to Gander Mountain or another hunting type store. Find a product called "The Block". You can get a small one for about $50. I use them for bowhunting, and even with broadheads they last quite well.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood-Stephen Covey

FeloniousMonk
10-20-2001, 08:50 AM
Once again I will share my infinate wisdom. When you become as skilled as I am, a weapon doesn't matter, I will make you all p!ss yourselves with out even touching you. but as for objects to throw knves at, I used to use old women. I would kidnap them and tie them up to a crucifix. Then, after i was done throwing my knives at them, I would burn them on the cross. My master prefered young boys. It's hard to compare to........

The unbeatable Felonious Monk

SifuAbel
10-21-2001, 12:03 AM
:rolleyes:

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

IronFist
10-21-2001, 01:21 AM
Hey, the knives I got are awesome. I took one home yesterday and set up a target... once I got the hang of it, it was pretty cool.

So whoever made fun of the knives I got, you better watch out or I'll throw them at you (but I'll miss, or if it hits you it would be the wrong end, haha).

Seriously though, eBay has really good deals on throwing knives if you look, just make sure you're not getting ripped off.

Iron

JWTAYLOR
10-21-2001, 04:59 PM
Abel, that depends on your throwing meathod, whether you throw handle or blade first style, whether you throw with a step or not, and a couple of peole do some really weird stuff.

Me, I like to throw holding the blade (thus my appreciation for single blade throwers) with a strong baseball like overhead throw with a step.

It takes 1/2 a turn to reach the target below 25 feet. Any more and I have to throw by the handle and I loose allot of my accuracy.

JWT

nightair
10-21-2001, 09:15 PM
people you dont like :rolleyes: I use a shoe box filled with news paper and wraped with duct tape.

DOH!!

SifuAbel
10-21-2001, 11:38 PM
I don't think I have a throwing meathood. The doctors got rid of that when I was a baby.

ˇ

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

JWTAYLOR
10-21-2001, 11:41 PM
:)
I had to read that like 9 times to get it.
meathood
JWT

SifuAbel
10-21-2001, 11:48 PM
There are many variations to throwing but some things remains constant:

The distance from the hand to the target when released. This is a constant for all throws.Even if you step you have to be behind the release point.

And, the amount of blade/Handle held to quicken or slow the rotation. The higher to the hilt you go the slower the rotation and the longer the shot.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

SifuAbel
10-21-2001, 11:49 PM
LOL!

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

JWTAYLOR
10-21-2001, 11:57 PM
Huh, I'm confused. The distance from my hand to the target is quite variable. From 85' to 25'.

JWT

Nutt'nhunny
10-22-2001, 12:04 AM
I throw darts, more distance, acuracy and actually lawfull. Try explaining throwing stars in the courtroom.

SifuAbel
10-22-2001, 12:40 AM
Meaning that whatever distance you throw, the conditions for the throw still have to be right. Desired rotation speed for the distance to cover is controled by the amount of knife in hand and how much slip you get. The rotation has to decrease in order to make a longer shot.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com