PDA

View Full Version : spj's new taiji book

oasis
04-14-2005, 08:37 AM
hey spj (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Jaw%20Peter%20Jaw/104-9442399-6704717) ,

got my book yesterday. thank you very much. when i get a chance to go through more of it this weekend i will post a review. but initial view looks nice: i like the photographs and your explanations of the applications of different techniques in taiji.

SPJ
04-15-2005, 07:16 AM
You are welcome.

It would take a month or so, before the book will be available at amazon.com.

You are welcome to write a review on the amazon.com site, too.

The contents are principles and theories with a lot of technique examples.

Have fun.

If any Q's or suggestions/corrections, we may discuss on this thread.

Becca
04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
It took almost a whole week to work my way through it well enough to post an intelligent rewiew, but here goes:

This has got to be one of the easiest to understand and follow Martail Arts books I have ever had the pleasure of reading! It is a life time of blood, sweat and tears crammed into 71 pages designed to give non Tai Chi practioners an insightful look into the this art, as well as true tai chi practioners another contect to view thier art through.

The book is broken down into three well planned sections: theory first, then practice, and ending with a forms section. I especially valued te order Peter Jaw chose. The theory section thuroughly explored critical terminology and ideals needed to understand the material covered in the next two sections.

The second section is a series of self-defences, or combinations, based on standard senarios such as how to deal with a strait punch to the face/chest/sholder, ect. For each of the concepts of the body and how it works with the rest of the body and Dan Tien covered in the first section (Zhang, Wan, Zhou, ect) section 2 gives several easy to follow combinations of how the concept would be used in self-defence.

Section 3 takes the foundation begun in the second section with self-defence and illistrates how to apply them to the more common Chen Tai Chi techniques.

I cannot comment much on how this book would read to a seriouse Chen style Tai Chi practitioner, but as a student of Kung Fu, I found many insights in this book. I was able to apply every technique from the book I attempted with some proficiency after only a short amount of time. While I can asure what I was doing looked nothing like true Tai Chi, I got a very good feel for how the Tai Chi Quan is used in personal defence. This is a truely remarkable fighting style!

I used my father as my personal guinie pig and drilling partner while working through this book. I found thatafter as little as 30-45 minutes of drilling, we were going full speed/full contact! Each session averaged about an hour, with 1-2 sessions per day after we got into the prac ap section.

As the attacker, I found it extremely difficul to keep my father fromredirection then nutralizing they strikes. I started hitting harder and throwing you punches faster in an attempt to get him, but by the third day of drilling, I was not able to blow threw his defences no matter waht I tried.

As the defender, I found the techniques became almost instinctive after only one drilling session. By the end of the third day, I was able to swich it up almost without concious thought. Is in many ways similar to what I learn it the kwoon, but has a flowing, almost totally relaxed feel to it.

This is something I feel I could use to my benifit with some more work, mainly because it is compact enough to use in a crowded room, quick enough to be used when caught completely off guard, and powerfull enough to nuetralize the attacker with minimal injury that I would be able to "get away" easily. I highly recoment this book to anyone who has ever wanted to get a better look at Tai Chi Quan who isn't able to search out a master of the style for what ever reason.

SPJ
04-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the review.

My brother always complained that my stuff is too hard to understand.

I said it is not me. It is the stuff that is hard.

It did take me a while to sip thru many piles of notes. The main thing is that being a color book, it costs too much to have many pages. I have to cut the number of images and texts drastically. At the same time, I have to provide enough info to appreciate the bare minimal concepts.

I read many MA books in English. Mostly have a lot of pictures with techniques only with few words.

It is very difficult to do that in CMA. However, I adopted the formats with a lot of techniques, pictures and very stringent in words.

If this format is popular, then I may keep it the same way in future books.

My brother hated the text and words, too. He practices Zhao Bao Tai Chi. He likes the new book, too. He suggested that to include Chinese text, too.

So in the future, the text will be in both English and Chinese.

--

Thanks again.

:)

Becca
04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
Wow! I have got to stop posting so late at night. My spelling was worse than usual. :o

I personally prefer to have the technique explained as well as shown. Picturs are nice, but that is a static view of something that is anything but static. As I've said, my background is not in Tai Chi, but the princiles you covered have similarities in Pai Lum, so I was able to get quite a bit out og the text. The pix were good for making sure I was interpreting your words.

SPJ
04-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Cool.

SPJ
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Here is a link to the news release.

Explore Tai Chi (http://www.primezone.com/newsroom/?d=76530)

SPJ
04-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Amazon.com is updating its website.

The book is still under scanning. Maybe in a few weeks, every one may read free pages by "search inside" the book.

Here is a link;

Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1420833456/qid=1114733576/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-5267131-9128659?v=glance&s=books)

SPJ
04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
I think that in order to show the Tai Ji diagram in the background, they increased the blue tone on the book cover.

So it is almost all blue.

Originally, the Tai Ji diagram is black and white and the cover has light blue tone.

:confused:

SPJ
04-30-2005, 07:00 PM
I never know exactly that how the news wire works.

Once the news are released and it is upto the media, TV, radio, newspaper, magazine, etc to post it or not.

I designated LA, San Diego, and San Francisco CA.

I did a search via google.

I got UK Yahoo, finance that posted my news release.

Here is the link;

UK news release (http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050419/290/fgost.html)

Mmm. It is always interesting to know how the media work.

Actually, I knew that it does take a while for the media to pick up Tai Ji related news. Since there are so many news needed to be posted any way.

I was talking to my friends. My books always ended up in not so "correct" bookstore websites. I think that it has a lot to do with bookstore managers. He or she decided to carry and sell what kind of books they like or deem more acceptable to his or her target audience and buyers.

SPJ
04-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Here is an example.

The book on Chan and CMA. My target audience was CMA practitioners and Chan/Daoist theorists. It is mainly an MA oriented book.

The book becomes popular in business/finance, sports and spiritual bookstores.

Here are some links:

Business (http://www.forbesbookclub.com/bookpage.asp?prod_cd=IML7W)

Sports (http://www.bostonticketexchange.com/baseball-books-plain/1410784738.html)

:eek: :confused: :D :)

Becca
05-01-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm not so suprized that you would find it being marketed for spirituality, actually. I'm also a member of Beliefe Net (http://www.beliefnet.com/) And find that almost everyone there has atleast looked into Marial arts for meditation ideas. Especially in the Budist comutity there.

SPJ
05-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Kind of interested in how News wires work on the internet.

Here are links:

Explore Tai Chi (http://rivervalley.community.centurytel.net/index.cfm?action=financial.stock.fin_article&id=7330191)

New book in 2004 (http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/040520/57923.html)

Red Nova (http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=145059&source=r_health)

Once the news is released or faxed to the media, TV, radio, mag, newspaper etc. It is up to them to carry or post or not. Some are hosting the news on the web and also searchable. Interesting!

At Red Nova site, you may even discuss the news story in the forum. WOW.

norther practitioner
05-13-2005, 10:24 AM
I read two of those articles.. nice stuff...

Dronak
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I took a look over those articles and it looks like a few of them used the exact same press release. It sounds like an interesting book and I can put it on my list of ones to consider buying (currently I can't afford any fun spending). Is the general theory, techniques, and such applicable to any style of tai chi even though the end of the book explains Chen style postures? I've only learned Yang style, but have seen some videos with Chen style on the web. It looks like Chen style has a different way of turning the body, almost jerking it quickly against then back with the original intended motion. I doubt I could learn and pick that up from a book. Videos perhaps, but not a book. But still, it could be a useful intro to Chen style postures. So if the rest of the book is generally applicable to any style, I'll think about getting it later on.

SPJ
05-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Yes, we always need a good instructor or teacher to learn to do everything right. Videos and books are study aides and references.

If you are patient, may be in 3 to 5 weeks, the search inside book at the amazon.com will work. You may read free pages. If you really enjoy reading it, you may buy used one for lower price.

I was trying to contribute the books to the public libraries system. Meaning I buy the books and donate them to the public library, so that people may loan and read for free. However, the public library said if I donate the books, they will sell them for money. I will get a reciept. And the money goes to the library. And they do not accept donated books into their shelf.

So any way, my 2 other books are searchable at the amazon.com sites. Everyone may read free pages.

SPJ
05-14-2005, 07:12 AM
The principles are universal in all styles of Tai Chi. The apps and practices may differ slightly. Or every style emphasizes differently. The general formats are the same.

The sudden jerking movements are called Tang Do Jing. Such as Ban Lan Zui. In Chen, you see both arms with closed fists swing circularly to the left and then to the right. At the end of the move, there is vibrating, shaking or jerking. It is supposed to be a whole body jerking suddenly but the force is focused to the fists or forearms.

In Chen Fa Ke Xing Jia, he added more circles to each move. And yes, these are reversible rotations or Huei Zhuan. Meaning to go to the left, you go to the right first, then back and forth 2 times. The first time is a small move, the second time is a bigger move. You repeat the same move in small version and then in a bigger version.

The small version is to practice the wrist rotation mainly and slightly elbow movement. The bigger version will involve shoulder movement more.

This way we may appreciate the Yin and Yang of each move more.

In the book, it is Chen Chang Xing Lao Jia or Da Jia. There are no small circles added. However, it is the form that all modern styles derived from. Thus, it is worthwhile to be looked at by all styles.

Sort of a common root "shared" by many.

Dronak
05-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I thought all the general principles and theory were the same for all styles, they just implement them somewhat differently, but it was worth checking. I'll put the book on my Amazon wishlist for possible future buying. Thanks for the notes about the circles in Chen style. I think I get the idea of using the jerking motion at the end of a move in order to help achieve the desired force. I'm not sure I understand exactly why you'd have those multiple circles and reversing actions in the middle of moves. Doing it small first then big second makes some sense, rather than doing only small frame or only big frame you practice some of both in one. It still seems unusual to me, but probably only because I haven't learned any of it.

SPJ
05-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Reverse rotation is a difficult concept to grasp.

I like to call them reversible, because that means they are changeable.

At first, the concept of rotation has to be known and mastered. It may be used to redirect the opponent's Jing and release of your own Jing or Fa Jing.

Where rotation comes about? Yes, it is from all joints especially the waist and the steps.

If the opponent Peng, his Jing going upward and outward. You may Lu by contact his forearm with a little Peng rotation and then waist rotation to your left or right rear. You change his Jing from upward and outward into laterally foreward.

If the opponent delivers a right high punch to your chest, you move back one foot and yield to your right. You are on the outside of his right arm. You move up your right forearm to contact his right forearm. You have to rotate your waist to your right a bit. The main Peng Jing from the waist rotation is important to remain in contact, stick, link, follow, not opposing, and not losing contact. Zhan Nian Lian Shui Bu Diu Bu Ding. If you only move your arm and not the body, steps or waist, you will be opposing the opponent's Jing. Why? because the opponent's Jing is going toward your previous center high chest region. We have to reposition to be away the previous position and face the opponent's Jing from the the side or not in the front of it.

Your waist rotated to the right. You may Lu further or if you sense the opponent's pulling back his fist. You then rotate your waist to your left. This is a reverse rotation from the previous to the right. This time you are Fa Jing, you use your left forearm to Peng his chest, exposed rib side, or right upper arm etc.

Reverse rotation may occur at the wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee and steps or postures.

For example, if the opponent pushes your right shoulder. Yes, you yield to your right and yet maintain a Peng or a little opposing force to remain in contact or stick Nian. When his Jing is retarded, slowed or near its end or he started to retract his right hand, and yes you rotate your waist back and strike (Kao) his hand with your shoulder or push (An) with hands his exposed rib side or chest. We are adding a Jing to his retreating Jing and off he falls.

We do not need to complete a whole or a half circle before we chang directions. The practice of big circles, mid circles and small circles and eventually no apparent circles. Our move may be an arc so to speak and reversible. Or the Tai Chi diagram.

:D

SPJ
05-18-2005, 06:49 PM
The book is now searchable inside.

Here is the link;

Search inside Tai Ji Quan book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1420833456/qid=1116467295/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-4084059-8331856?v=glance&s=books)

:p

SPJ
06-02-2005, 06:43 PM
The book is now available in amazon.com.

It is cheaper at the authorhouse.com.

After a while, more sellers will carry it and then the used copies will be available, too.

Tai Ji Quan (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1420833456/qid=1116467295/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-4084059-8331856?v=glance&s=books)

SPJ
06-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I placed the book ad in JAMA.

It will appear in Aug issue.

So if you guys see it, do not be alarmed.

The editor is only accepting certain ad that is consistent with their aesthic and academic standard.

I am much happy that the editor accepted the placement of my book ad.