PDA

View Full Version : Effectivness vs. Efficiency?

Fu-Pow
04-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Which concept is more important for martial arts? :confused:

PangQuan
04-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Ill go out there and poll my vote for effectivness. Its nice to be efficient, but whats it worth if it doesnt always work.

Chief Fox
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM

I would say effectiveness is more important. Something can be effcient but if it's not effective then it doesn't matter. Something can be effective but not efficient. This means that whatever your doing gets the job done but can be improved upon.

red5angel
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
how can something be efficient and not work?

Reggie1
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't see how effectiveness and efficiency are mutually exclusive.

PangQuan
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
You can have a very efficient method of doing something such as punching many times in a short amount of time, but without effectivness, many of these punches will not connect.

However you can be inefficient such as punching slow (such as less punches in the same time frame, but with effectiveness you will connect with your technique.

Of course a natural course of training will develop both qualities simultaneously, there is not always a perfect balance. So stressing the effectiveness of your technique is always a good idea.

SevenStar
04-14-2005, 03:15 PM
how can something be efficient and not work?

Ask that question on the WC forum...

PangQuan
04-14-2005, 03:38 PM

HA!!!!!!!!

norther practitioner
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM

Funniest post by 7* in a grip..

joedoe
04-14-2005, 04:21 PM
You can have a very efficient method of doing something such as punching many times in a short amount of time, but without effectivness, many of these punches will not connect.

However you can be inefficient such as punching slow (such as less punches in the same time frame, but with effectiveness you will connect with your technique.

Of course a natural course of training will develop both qualities simultaneously, there is not always a perfect balance. So stressing the effectiveness of your technique is always a good idea.

But you could argue that punching many times in a short amount of time but not hitting your target is inefficient since you expend energy/resources on an activity that does not achieve your goal. Whereas a single slow punch that connects is efficient because you achieve your goal in a direct (though slow) fashion.

Efficiency is not a concept that stands alone - it is tied to the ability to achieve your goal. An engine that only burns 1 litre of petrol per day is no good if it cannot propel the vehicle it is attached to.

Waidan
04-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Wouldn't something HAVE to be effective to prove efficient? Would a computer that could make 984468146574684 calculations per second, all with 0% accuracy, be considered efficiant?

"I'm doing jack-squat, but I'm doing it at the speed of light."

PangQuan
04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
lol, yes that analogy is much better than mine. To true JoeDoe my analogy sucked.

joedoe
04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
lol, yes that analogy is much better than mine. To true JoeDoe my analogy sucked.

I find car analogies always work best :)

rogue
04-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Street cred raised 5 points!

red5angel
04-15-2005, 07:58 AM

I guess I'd disagree, Efficiency implies to me that it not only works, but it works better then most other options.
If you can throw a lot of punches really fast but you can't connect or can't hit hard enough to make a difference, then I couldn't call that efficient.

STRAIGHTBLAST!!!!!!!!HIIIIIYYEEEEEYAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

black and blue
04-15-2005, 08:07 AM
I guess it depends on how far you take the definition.

But maybe Wing Chun IS a good example. The WCK punch is efficient - it's more or less (wink) straight, travelling from the centre, and takes the shortest route. But it's not the most powerful method of punching... so perhaps lacks some effect.

Of course, the most powerful punch in the world is useless if you can't land it.

Guess you have to strike (no pun intended) a balance.

wdl
04-15-2005, 08:12 AM
From dict.org:

Effective \Ef*fect"ive\, a. [L. effectivus: cf. F. effectif.]
Having the power to produce an effect or effects; producing a
decided or decisive effect; efficient; serviceable;
operative; as, an effective force, remedy, speech; the
effective men in a regiment.

efficient \ef*fi"cient\ ([e^]f*f[i^]sh"ent), a. [L. efficiens,
-entis, p. pr. of efficere to effect: cf. F. efficient. See
Effect, n.]
Causing effects; producing results; that makes the effect to
be what it is; actively operative; not inactive, slack, or
incapable; characterized by energetic and useful activity;
as, an efficient officer, power.

The two words are NOT mutually exclusive. You must have both. "Effectiveness" is the power and "efficiency" is the cause. The effect, or result is defined by the efficiency thus the amount of efficiency will always have sway on the result. So there is ALWAYS efficiency involved with the effect no matter how little or how great.

-Will

Ray Pina
04-15-2005, 08:26 AM

Both! I want good stuff and I want it cheap.

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Wills right, case closed.

ninthdrunk
04-15-2005, 10:57 AM
lineage....!

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 11:09 AM
lineage....!
?.........

ninthdrunk
04-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Isn't that the most important part of martial arts?

red5angel
04-15-2005, 11:35 AM

you must be in WC?

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Kung Fu is the most important part of martial arts. ie; kung fu = time, effort, skill.

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 11:37 AM
you must be in WC?

Hes in SD...

wdl
04-15-2005, 11:45 AM

LOL. I think they were trying to compare which was more important not what is the most important part. But, you make a good point. Atleast something was being discussed besides lineage for once. :)

-Will

Ray Pina
04-15-2005, 12:26 PM
But maybe Wing Chun IS a good example. The WCK punch is efficient - it's more or less (wink) straight, travelling from the centre, and takes the shortest route. But it's not the most powerful method of punching... so perhaps lacks some effect.

Of course, the most powerful punch in the world is useless if you can't land it.

Guess you have to strike (no pun intended) a balance.

This is a great post!!!!!!!!!!

ninthdrunk
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Sorry, bad joke.

Seriously though. If something is effective, doesn't that mean it works? So, who cares how efficient it is if it works. Now if someone comes along with a more efficient way of doing something that is ALSO more effective, by all means jump aboard.

red5angel
04-15-2005, 01:22 PM
I just think that in general effectiveness and efficiency are the same thing.

ninthdrunk
04-15-2005, 01:27 PM
I kinda agree. It's really hard to differentiate between the two. I would imagine the most efficient way to be the most effective. But, I think that is what makes this type of thing a good discussion. If you are forced to split the two, it kinda helps you figure out what type of martial artist you are...what's important to you as a fighter/trainer.

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I think Will's last post covered this issue the best.

red5angel
04-15-2005, 01:33 PM
I think Will's last post covered this issue the best.

I think your mom has my issues covered.

SevenStar
04-15-2005, 01:33 PM
something to take into consideration is perspective. compare a tma snapping roundhouse to a thai roundhouse. the tma kick is more efficient.

perspective -

for power, the thai kick is far superior.

BUT, for speed, the tma kick would be.

What are you thinking of specifically when you say "effective"?

red5angel
04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
something to take into consideration is perspective. compare a tma snapping roundhouse to a thai roundhouse. the tma kick is more efficient.

perspective -

for power, the thai kick is far superior.

BUT, for speed, the tma kick would be.

What are you thinking of specifically when you say "effective"?

then for power the thai kick would be more efficient for power while for speed the TMA kick would be more efficient no?

SevenStar
04-15-2005, 02:03 PM
d@mmit, stop complicating things :p

I guess efficiency would depend on perspective as well.

red5angel
04-15-2005, 02:12 PM
I think for the most yeah, it's a matter of perspective. You have to establish what it is you're being effective at then determine what is efficient.

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I think your mom has my issues covered.

I think she does but now shes trying to figure out what do do with her other eight fingers. :p

wdl
04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Seriously though. If something is effective, doesn't that mean it works? So, who cares how efficient it is if it works. Now if someone comes along with a more efficient way of doing something that is ALSO more effective, by all means jump aboard.

But still, if it's effective it's efficient in one form or another. Efficiency and inefficiency both have an effect on the outcome. An inefficiency would be paramount to something like a mechanical disadvantage and result in an ineffective outcome.

The whole "Effectivness vs. Efficiency" discussion is somewhat like comparing accuracy and precision in scientific terms. To be truely effective and efficient you have to have both.

-Will

Fu-Pow
04-16-2005, 12:05 AM
In terms of general application:

Efficiency is important for well-defined and stable processes.

Effectiveness is important for poorly defined and unstable processes.

Is a street fight a stable and defined process?

wdl
04-16-2005, 07:35 AM

Absolutely not, it's a chaoticly dynamic event. However I'm not sure about your application of effectiveness and efficiency mostly because I see a lack of defining what's efficient and effective and what's only effective.

-Will

red5angel
04-16-2005, 07:38 AM
In terms of general application:

Efficiency is important for well-defined and stable processes.

Effectiveness is important for poorly defined and unstable processes.

how are you getting one withoput the other?

FuXnDajenariht
04-16-2005, 10:18 AM
i just wanna add that sumthin can be poorly planned out and still be effective. you know the saying. crazy idea....but it worked didn't it? :D luck can come into play. i think efficiency is high percentage effectiveness. effective and efficient aren't synonyms though.

effective means that sumthin works. efficient means it works quickly and usually without fail.

SimonM
04-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Efficiency is PART of effectiveness. An inefficient martial art will not be as effective as it could be.

I wouldn't consider rapidly flailing againse an opponent's guard with no bridging or penetration to be inefficient. It is also ineffective.

If reducing your attack speed allows you to penetrate MORE there is a problem with your technique.

lineage... Isn't that the most important part of martial arts?
No. That is possibly the LEAST important part of martial arts except: uniforms (belts, patches, etc.) and cheezy sensei-bob moustaches.

FuXnDajenariht
04-16-2005, 10:27 AM
and since we're on the subject. i think the most important thing in martial arts, as in life as well, is will, as in determination.

will finds a way. the great equalizer.

Gangsterfist
04-16-2005, 07:20 PM

Tsk tsk.................:(

Today in class we worked on a lot of chin na, grappling, knife attacks, etc. We did lots of clinch and stand up work, and typically 9 times out of the ten the most effecient answer was also a very effective one.

I think effeciency and effectiveness go hand in hand. Your effectiveness is not determined by a system or by a technique, its determined by hard hard you train it, and your physical attributes. For some people, some things are more natural and they catch on or learn faster, others need to do it 100 times before they can get the "effective technique" down at a basic level.

Now, lets say you take something like choy li fut, or taiji that tend to have larger circular motions over something like boxing or wing chun which is more linear, who is to say which is more effecient? It depends on the person I would say, but typical linear arts, IMO (opinion here not fact) tend to yield results faster than others because thery are more direct and to the point of fighting. That is ofcourse when it comes to striking, obviously a linear, angular, circular, etc art is not going to help you much on the ground, unless its principles and concepts carry over to that medium.