PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pitbulls rescue woman

SimonM
04-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Full story here: MSN News Article (http://healthandfitness.sympatico.msn.ca/News/ContentPosting.aspx?contentid=06c37664f53646078e98 7b669125d30f&show=False&number=0&showbyline=False&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc)

PangQuan
04-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Ive lived in places most people wouldnt deficate in ~ Mike Tyson :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-15-2005, 07:01 PM
i got to stay with a pit bull for a few days recently and the biggest problem i had with it is that it refused to not be laying with someone at all times even if it meant sleeping on top of you.

i kept asking if they would trade our yorkie for her, but suzi just got mad at me.

[edit] for those who don't already know im not some punk pusy who let his girlfriend get a yorkie. im a punk pusy that let it happen after i already had a real dog.

Becca
04-15-2005, 07:36 PM
That is my pitt to a "T". :D He ain't happy if he ain't on top of someone, usually me of my kid brother. If I'm not home he can usually be found on my pillow. If I'm at home, he's either on my feet or lap. If I'm laying on the floor watching tv, he cuddles as close as a kid, even to the point of using me for a pillow.

They are also generally very protective of people. The one thing I keep seeing about the pitt bull attacks is a dog who was not properly sociolized, loved, and exersized. Smokey is all of those. His one sore spot is strange people getting too cloce to his eyes. But, then again, I don't much care for strange people getting too close to my yeys, either, so I can't blame him. I do warn people not to do that to him, though.

BeiTangLang
04-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Staffordshire terriers were & are still known as the "nanny" dogs. They didn't get that name from being mean. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-15-2005, 08:08 PM
The one thing I keep seeing about the pitt bull attacks is a dog who was not properly sociolized, loved, and exersized.

i wonder if even the most half assed attempts at any 2 out of those 3 would be enough. i would even go as far as to say not kicking the **** out of them or completely neglecting them might be enough. i have seen lots of mean shepherds though. in fact i got one that has been well socialized, exercised, and above all else loved and you still cant walk up and pet him on the street. hes great with all other dogs and animals though.

wdl
04-15-2005, 08:35 PM
The one thing I keep seeing about the pitt bull attacks is a dog who was not properly sociolized, loved, and exersized. Smokey is all of those.

Yeah, just like dobermans. I've got a 2 year old 80lb lap dog for a doberman. However he's socialized and played with constantly. I've tossed and wrestled around with him since he was about 25 lbs. so much he doesn't really care anymore. Very people friendly. It seems it's that way with most dogs that generally have a bad reputation.

The only time he's tuned up was once on the interstate when I was stuck in traffic waiting for a wreck to clear. We were on the way up north and he was crated in the back. This police officer walked suspiciously up to the back of the vehicle, hand on her firearm when she saw the dog crate and he started growling. I've never heard him growl like that any other time. Turned out the officer was a royal b**** anyway. I had taken him out to walk on the median(everyone was out of their vehicles) and she walked up and very sternly told me to put the dog up that traffic would be moving in just a few minutes. Then the guy behind us asks her when the traffic would be moving and she told him 20 to 30 minutes. She was scared of him just because he was a doberman and he had sinced the fear even before I got him out. When she told me to put him up he was licking the woman from the car in front who had gotten out to pet him. Go figure. Real killer.

-Will

BibitClerus
04-16-2005, 01:07 AM
dog switll save the world :)
:) :) : :): :::::) :))

ghost5
04-16-2005, 02:52 AM
I have had dobermans and sheperds for years and all were taken care of. Never had a problem with one being aggressive toward anything or anyone. Treating them as pets and not as furniture takes care of that. All were played with while young and taught what they could and couldn't do early.

As far as pits go, I know several people that own them and all of the ones I know are friendly. Might not let a strange person in the house if the boss isn't there but if you are there with the owner then you are fine. Same with my dogs. If the family was there then you were welcome, if no one was home then they made sure you waited outsdie. :D

The two that saved the woman must fall into the same catagory as my dogs. Someone has taken good care of them and they helped out only when someone was in trouble.

CrazyKiller
04-16-2005, 05:46 AM
The pit bull was bred to fight with other animals. Because handlers had to get to the dogs, break up fighting between rounds, and tend to wounds, the pit fighting dog had to be people friendly. Any dog that bit its handler, would not be bred. Over time, the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) proved itself to be a great family dog and loyal companion. Whoever said they are "protective of people" is also wrong. Generally, they are NOT good guard dogs because of their people friendliness. However, because of their intelligence, they can usually tell if someone is not friendly.

This much-aligned breed needs to be understood before the powers that be decide to ban these great dogs. Having owned several true pit bulls and read about them, I can assure you that these facts are true. A true pit bull is less than 60 pounds. These big long-legged mixed blood dogs are not the true APBT.

And to the fools out there who own pit bull dogs and try to make them mean and aggressive--that's what destroys this dogs reputation. The sight of a gangster-looking guy walking a pit bull down the street with big chains on the dog--that sight disgusts me. But then, stupidity and ignorance are never pretty.

Here's to the APBT, a great breed of dog.

SimonM
04-16-2005, 10:16 AM
In Ontario there has been a lot of effort trying to ban Pit Bulls. Now me, my dog is a big, floppy, sucky yellow lab but I HATE people who blame a breed for the actions of dogs who have been trained wrong.

Dogs are naturally sociable group animals with a 30000 year history of symbiosis with humans. When they are treated with kindness they are loyal companions regardless of their breeds. It's the bad owners that are to blame, not the dogs.

red5angel
04-16-2005, 10:26 AM
i got to stay with a pit bull for a few days recently and the biggest problem i had with it is that it refused to not be laying with someone at all times even if it meant sleeping on top of you.

i kept asking if they would trade our yorkie for her, but suzi just got mad at me.

[edit] for those who don't already know im not some punk pusy who let his girlfriend get a yorkie. im a punk pusy that let it happen after i already had a real dog.

holy crap, did you just admit publicly you own a yorkie?! :eek:

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-16-2005, 05:25 PM
holy crap, did you just admit publicly you own a yorkie?! :eek:

*hangs head in shame*

wdl
04-16-2005, 05:27 PM
*hangs head in shame*

lol, you need to get a real dog and let it eat the yorkie.

-Will

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-16-2005, 05:37 PM
he wont eat him (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/fam/print/satandagon3.jpg)

wdl
04-16-2005, 05:47 PM
he wont eat him (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/fam/print/satandagon3.jpg)

haha, that would present a problem. Don't feed him for a week, then shake the yorkie up and toss him on the big dog. :D

-Will

Becca
04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Awwww..... That's so cute! :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-16-2005, 11:23 PM
heres a better pic of him from a long time ago. he's bigger now:

satan and adora (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/fam/satanadora2.jpg)

and a better pic of adora:

adora (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/fam/adoraxmas04.jpg)

Becca
04-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Those are as cute as the first!

You are so lucky to have such a lovely little girl. I love my boys, but people look at you wierd when you dress a boy up too much... :eek:

Pork Chop
04-17-2005, 11:18 AM
just got a scottie puppy on wednesday, of course I don't know that it's not still wednesday coz I haven't slept much.
http://www.foxcreekkennel.com

I know W's got a scottie, which definitely hurts it's cool points; but darnit, it's still cooler than a yorkie. LOL

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-17-2005, 11:49 AM
actually scotties are some of the only little dogs i actually like. their tough little ****ers.

BibitClerus
04-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Those are as cute as the first!

You are so lucky to have such a lovely little girl. I love my boys, but people look at you wierd when you dress a boy up too much... :eek:

and i was gonna say his girl is looking kinda girly to me...

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-17-2005, 10:47 PM
shes as girly as they come man.

BibitClerus
04-17-2005, 11:28 PM
yeah man, i know :D